1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NY TAMMY MAHONEY: Missing from Oneida, NY - 8 May 1981 - Age 19

Discussion in 'Missing 1980 to 1989' started by Kimster, Apr 5, 2016.

1. AlwaysSearching

AlwaysSearching Bronze Member

Dont know but this search was based on a new tipline call.

2. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

I spoke too soon! I'm so thankful there seems to be a possibility of closure in this case!!!

3. DaisyChains

Amazing!!!

4. DaisyChains

Well the current owner did not live there then. She said it is related to whoever lived there 35 years ago. Pop that home address info into the big old box and see who comes up as a previous owner around 1981. That's probably someone related to the monsters who murdered Tammy.

Akoya, spike, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  5. AlwaysSearching

Akoya, spike, Ladyslug and 1 other person like this.
  6. AlwaysSearching

Mel70, Akoya, spike and 2 others like this.
  7. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

WOW! I dunno, but this looks like it might be the real deal! Thank goodness for that tip, if so!

Akoya, spike, Ladyslug and 1 other person like this.
  8. AlwaysSearching

9. AlwaysSearching

Justice for Tammy Mahoney
    15 mins ·
    The followers of the Tammy Mahoney page always warm our hearts!! Knowing people care means so much to the Mahoney family.

This was the sky yesterday over the dig site in Sullivan. We noticed it around 5:45 last night. I had to pull my car over to take a picture. It gave me goosebumps. ❤️

[​IMG]

Akoya, spike, DaisyChains and 2 others like this.
  10. AlwaysSearching

45 mins ·
    It's not over people it's not over.
    Inconclusive can mean anything including not wanting to divulge yet what they know.

[​IMG]

Akoya, spike, DaisyChains and 2 others like this.
  11. Kimster

:thinking:

Hmmm.

You'd think they'd at least say they found remains, if there were bones?

Akoya, AlwaysSearching, spike and 2 others like this.
  12. DaisyChains

maybe its one of those cases where her remains were burned and completely destroyed down to near ashes? or things decomposed in some sort of state that made everything in the drum evaporative or liquid?

i wonder if the state of what they found was so eroded that they will need to test it further?

i can't imagine what this poor girl went through when she was gang raped. It becomes so vivid for me sometimes that I can't take it. And to just rid of her as if she were nothing. I can't express enough my sincerest condolences to her loved ones and friends.

13. AlwaysSearching

1 hr ·
    Search update please share.

It's been 10 days since the last search in Sullivan New York. As many of you know a sealed drum was found buried next to a garage.
    The drum was found sealed, it was opened items removed and sent for testing at a FBI lab as per news reports. We do not know anymore then that at this time.
    From what I've been told DNA of a 35-year-old corpse in a sealed drum would take months as it could be mush and we don't know what else was in the drum to speed up the decomposition or hinder it.
    Please remember we have just witnessed three searches in just over 90 days in a 35-year-old cold case I cannot thank Law enforcement and the cases lead investigator William Clark enough for the Constant effort in finding justice for the Mahoney family.

We can make the streets of central New York safer together.
    Know something say something your information can be beneficial in this investigation and in the court room.
    William Clark
    Phone (315) 363-9111
    Case number 81-1985
    Agency Oneida Police Department
    108 Main St. Oneida,New York.13421

[​IMG]

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

Oneida Police still awaiting lab results from drum in Tammy Mahoney case
    [​IMG]
    Authorities search a Chestnut Ridge Road property in Sullivan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016, in the Tammy Mahoney cold case. John Brewer - Oneida Daily Dispatch
    http://www.oneidadispatch.com/gener...g-lab-results-from-drum-in-tammy-mahoney-case

Posted: 08/22/16, 6:26 PM EDT | Updated: on 08/23/2016

Authorities search a Chestnut Ridge Road property in Sullivan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016, in the Tammy Mahoney cold case. John Brewer - Oneida Daily Dispatch
    There’s no word yet on lab results on material contained in a 55-gallon steel drum unearthed June 28 as part of the Tammy Mahoney murder investigation. Nearly two months ago, multiple law enforcement agencies swarmed a Town of Sullivan property after receiving a tip in relation to the 1981 death and disappearance of Mahoney. FBI forensics experts, working in coordination with the Oneida City Police Department, dug up a metal drum. Samples from its contents were sent to the FBI lab for analysis.

The contents of the drum are not yet known, but police will confirm what was not found inside.

“There was not a body contained within that drum,” said Lt. Paul Thompson, the acting chief of Oneida City Police. Via email, Thompson further explained that had a body been discovered during the June excavation, the remains would have gone to the medical examiner’s office instead of being sent to the crime lab. Now, the OPD, the lead agency in the investigation, waits for lab test on “several samples of undetermined substances” they submitted for analysis. “The FBI does in fact still have the samples from the drum,” Thompson said, adding that he did not have a timeline for the testing.

While Mahoney’s body has never been found, law enforcement has said for the last three decades they know who raped and murdered her and will make an arrest once they have enough evidence to assure a conviction. Thompson said that in general terms, prosecution is possible without a body and noted there have been other no-body cases that have been successfully prosecuted for murder in Central New York. While prosecution is possible without a body, it is also more difficult. Therefore, Thompson said, it’s best to err on the side of caution.

“This case could absolutely go to trial without a body, but we only have one bite at the apple so we want to make sure that we have exhausted all possible leads before proceeding to that stage,” he said.

Without a body, chances of success in such cases “depend on the totality of the other evidence that is available to present to the jury,” Thompson said, emphasizing “it remains an active investigation and there is other evidence in our possession related to the case.”

Since 1981, the case has been investigated by Oneida City Police, the Madison County Sheriff’s Office, the Oneida Nation Police, New York State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Police say she was last seen hitchhiking on Route 46 between 5-7 p.m on May 8, 1981 on her way to a friend’s house in Hamilton. She was seen being picked up in a vehicle near Fairview Avenue and was taken to a party at a residence on the Oneida Nation’s 32-acre territory.

For years, the Madison County Sheriff’s Department took the lead in the investigation, primarily by former Undersheriff Doug Bailey. When Bailey retired, the investigation was handed over to Oneida City Police. At one time, Bailey said authorities had suspects, and that those believed to be responsible for her death are still living in Central New York.

Over the years, authorities have also searched for a car believed to be the one in which she rode to a party on the Oneida Nation Territory. In 2004, the Federal Bureau of Investigation dug up a filled-in pond near Union Street off of Route 46 looking for evidence. In 2009, Bailey told the Oneida Daily Dispatch authorities no longer needed to find the “phantom car” because they know what kind of car it was and who was driving.

In 2016, police searched a wooded area near Mount Hope Drive on Route 46 in Oneida on two separate occasions. On June 28 and 29, the latest chapter in the more than 35-year-old cold case continued in Sullivan, highlighted by the metal drum and samples collected from within by law enforcement officials. While the OPD waits for word from the FBI, the department remains active in its investigation, encouraging community members to speak up if they know anything.

“We continue to seek assistance from anybody who has information or who feels that they may have information relevant to the investigation to contact us,” Thompson said.

Anyone with information regarding the case is asked to call the Oneida City Police Department at (315) 363-2323.

A $10,000 reward for information in the case still stands, with the Oneida Indian Nation and FBI offering $5,000 each.

spike, DaisyChains and Akoya like this.
  15. Kimster

Akoya, spike and Scorpio like this.
  16. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

Akoya and spike like this.
  17. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

OUR VIEW: Families need closure; maybe you can help

Losing a loved one tragically is nightmare enough. Losing a loved one and not having a body to bury or killer to hold accountable compounds the horror.

That’s pain that never goes away for families when cases go cold but can never be forgotten by those left behind. The real tragedy is that somebody knows something. Somewhere there are pieces of the puzzle missing that might help bring closure to these long-suffering families.

Please, speak up.

• Tammy Mahoney. Police believe the 19-year-old Oneida woman - missing since May 8, 1981 - was kidnapped, raped and murdered after hitchhiking along State Route 46 in Oneida. They also believe she ended up at a party on Oneida Nation Territory and has not been seen since. There have been numerous searches for her body or clues, but no resolution. Call Oneida Police Department, 315-363-9111.

https://www.uticaod.com/opinion/20190201/our-view-families-need-closure-maybe-you-can-help

Whatsnext and Scorpio like this.
  18. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

O.K. what happened with the "Drum"?! It was gound almost 3 Yrs ago. There were "Several DOZEN WITNESSES"?! WTF?!!!! On an "Indian Reservation" they have their own "law". Their own "L.E.". I don't know at what point the F.B.I. becomes involved. But it states NOT ALL of the offenders were from the "Reservation". And WHY IN THE F--K HASN'T ANYONE BEEN CHARGED?!!! THIS IS DISGUSTING, UNACCEPTABLE AND I DON'T CARE WHAT COLOR YOU ARE!! YOU ARE A LOWLIFE P.O.S.! THIS REALLY P----S ME OFF!!!! Her poor Family! And I am sure they are quite aware of the identity of these EVIL F---$!!!! AHHHHH!!!!:mad: UNBELIEVABLE! I'm sure they sit around and laugh about it. And say how they got away with it!!! WHY?!

19. ima.grandma

ima.grandma Believer of Miracles

Federal investigators are offering a $20,000 reward for information that may help solve a 38-year-old missing person case in central New York.

College student Tammy Mahoney was last seen hitch-hiking on state Route 46 in Oneida on May 8, 1981. Authorities believe the 19-year-old Long Island native was raped and murdered after attending a party on Oneida Nation tribal land. Her body was never found.

At a news conference Thursday, FBI Special Agent James Hendricks announced the reward and said "recent events" led officials to believe there may be people with information about what happened to Mahoney. He gave no specifics.

The Oneida Nation said it would match the FBI's reward with an additional $20,000.

Mahoney was a student at the State University of New York at Morrisville when she disappeared.

https://wibx950.com/fbi-offers-20k-reward-in-38-year-old-missing-person-case/

20. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

It is disgusting when someone comes forward finally after sometimes Decades because there is finally a "Reward". In certain cases they should get NOTHING! And charged with "Withholding Evidence". In this case they already seem to know who did it. And it appears no one is willing to talk out of fear of who is involved. Even after this long.