1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic TEJ CHITNIS: Missing from Burwood East, Vic - 27 April 2016 - Age 22

Discussion in 'Australia: Missing & Unidentified' started by MarlyWings, Apr 28, 2016.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Concerns for missing man Tej Chitnis

28 April 2016 11:34
    Police are appealing for public assistance to help locate missing 22-year-old man Tej Chitnis.

At 10:00am Wednesday 27th April 2016 Tej left his Burwood East home address in his silver Golf.

He usually drives to the Blackburn Railway station, parks his car in a nearby street and catches public transport to University.

Tej failed to return home at 4:00pm. His 2005 VW Golf has also not been located.

Police have concerns for Tej as this behaviour is out of character.

Investigators have released an image of Tej in the hope that somebody may recognise him.

[​IMG]

Tej is described as medium build, dark hair and brown eyes.

[​IMG]

Silver Golf also missing.

Anyone with any information is urged to contact Forest Hill Police Station on 8847 3636 or Triple Zero (000)

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/9852-concerns-for-missing-man-tej-chitnis.html

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...rwood-east-vic-27thapril-2016-age-22yrs.1487/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    GarAndMo49 and MULDER like this.
  2. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

There are currently no leads on Tej's disappearance.

A 7News report interviewed his family and they have pleaded for information regarding their son.
    He was supposed to attend a long planned family dinner the night of his disappearance, but didn't turn up.
    Since being missing Tej has not used his mobile phone, facebook or accessed his bank accounts.

SCREEN CAPTURES
    Tej_Chitnis 5.jpg Tej_Chitnis 6.jpg Tej_Chitnis 7.jpg Tej_Chitnis 8.jpg

Report and video interview with family:
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/wat...tej-chitnis-disappears-without-a-trace/#page1

Reports regarding Tej can also be made to CRIMESTOPPERS on 1800 333 000

GarAndMo49, MarlyWings and Kimster like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

This isn't sounding good. I hope he just wanted to take a break and get some things off his mind. Such a handsome young man too!

GarAndMo49, MarlyWings and MULDER like this.
  4. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Yep Kinster, it doesn't sound good to me either - so I'm hoping that some accurate descriptions will be given soon if he is still missing over the next 48hrs - proper height / weight / distinguishing features ...
    I notice he has both ears pierced - but he may not always wear earrings ....
    Hopefully his car might be spotted or found.

Strength for his family and friends at this time.

GarAndMo49, Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  5. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

GarAndMo49, Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  6. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Thanks for the facebook link MULDER!

Missing poster from that page....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  7. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

I'm reading on there that police have told them Vodaphone has agreed to release details of Tej's records.

I hope that helps to shed some light on Tej's disappearance.

GarAndMo49 and MULDER like this.
  8. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Oh thank goodness - last I read I think they were having difficulty as their request had been deleted by Vodaphone.

It looks as though the family and Friends of Tej have a good community around them to support and help in the search and getting the word out that Tej is missing.
    I hope there is some news soon.

GarAndMo49 and MarlyWings like this.
  9. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

There is another new photo of Tej Chitnis on the Help Find Tej Chitnis Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/findtejchitnis/

I cannot find any further updates as yet in the Main Stream Media - I hope that's because they have some leads.

Where are you Tej?

Tej_Chitnis 10.jpg

MarlyWings and GarAndMo49 like this.
  10. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Some news - https://www.facebook.com/findtejchitnis/

If you cannot connect to Facebook - a short extract from the post follows:
    In conjunction with the police, we have reason believe that Tej may have been in the Healesville and surrounding area at approximately midday on Wednesday, 27th April 2016

A link to Google Maps:
    Healesville Victoria Australia
    https://goo.gl/maps/biwKnNfUxS12

MarlyWings, GarAndMo49 and Kimster like this.
  11. Kimster

Tweeting this info. Hope it helps!!!

MarlyWings, GarAndMo49 and MULDER like this.
  12. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Thankyou Kimster!
    -----

3rd April 2016
    (The podcast in the link below is in Punjabi - if anyone could translate the interview in a brief summary, that would be great)

Tej's mother appeals local community to help locate her son
    http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/...r-appeals-local-community-help-locate-her-son

Family and friends are appealing for public assistance to help locate missing 22-year-old man Tej Chitnis from Melbourne.
    His 2005 VW Golf has also not been located.
    Here is Preetinder Grewal in conversation with Tej's mother Reeva Chitnis and a family friend ....

Tej_Chitnis 12.jpg

Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  13. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

I am just having a look here at the type of coverage available in the Healesville area (an area that Tej's phone was recognized in) - This is the Vodaphone map of coverage in that area.
    It seems that there is phone coverage over most of the area.
    In some areas though, there will be no coverage - though it is dependent on if the phone was indoor or outdoor - what type of phone it was - what type of signal it gave off.
    If the phone has registered being in the area, then I am deducting that the phone was in one of the spread of colours which shows the strength of the reception.
    Any professional communications corrections on this theory - please post.

The Map below is a screenshot - to go to the interactive map use link.
    The link to the interactive map is here:
    http://www.vodafone.com.au/aboutvodafone/network/coverage-checker

Tej_Chitnis 13 vodaphone coverage map.jpg

The list of cellphone towers for the Yarra Ranges:
    https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=703230

I am unsure (because I dont have that information) of which Tower his phone may have pinged off - but the Vodaphone Tower is a Telstra tower,
    and if I am correct, if the tower stops receiving signals or is overloaded it will switch to the next nearest signalling Tower.

The address of the cell phone towers in the area of Healesville VIC:

Data for - LOCATION - GPS - ADDRESS OF TOWER - POSTCODE - PROVIDER -
    Healesville -37.64376 145.55494 414-420 Maroondah Highway, Healesville Vic 3777 Telstra Melbourne Water Healesville 230851
    Healesville -37.56751 145.52556 St Leonards Road, Healesville Vic 3777 Optus Mt St Leonards M0146
    Healesville -37.56751 145.52556 St Leonards Road, Healesville Vic 3777 Telstra Mt St Leonard Rt 26802
    Healesville -37.56751 145.52556 St Leonards Road, Healesville Vic 3777 Vodafone Healesville 3308
    Healesville -37.39136 145.3057 219 Maroondah Highway, Healesville Vic 3777 Telstra Healesville Central 25580

MadgeS, Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  14. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Tej_Chitnis 13 smh 03052016.JPG

Main Stream Media Report

May 3, 2016
    12:00am

Desperate family search Yarra Valley for missing Burwood East man Tej Chitnis
    Read the Full Article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/e92f0bfee2db594e24df1636e6c2b9d9

Tej left his family’s Burwood East home to go into the city, but failed to return home that evening for an important family dinner celebrating
    his father’s birthday and older brother’s going away party.

Tej, a keen basketball fan who recently finished a health science degree at Deakin University, usually drives to Blackburn Station in his silver 2005 VW Golf
    with the registration plate TTF 517, however a sweep of the surrounding roads has found no trace of his car, and his bank card hasn’t been used since he went missing.
    -----
    “We searched the streets around the station about a 100 times for his car, and we’ve done letter drops as well in case someone saw him, but so far we haven’t heard anything.

Signal data last placed Tej’s phone in the Healesville area at just after 11:30am on Wednesday morning and his family have since been searching for him the Yarra Valley region.

“His Vodafone records show his mobile phone was switched off at 11:26am, but we found out on Saturday there was a ping from his phone near Healesville at 11:49am so we’re looking around there now,” Ms Chitnis said.
    -----
    Ms Chitnis pleaded for her son to make contact as soon as he was able to.

“We’re all so worried about Tej, we haven’t slept,” Ms Chitnis said.

‘We’re not sure if he’s run away or not, but if he has he needs to know we love him and we want him to be safe.

“If he needs some space — that’s OK, but please just let us know you’re safe, Tej.”

-----
    Anyone who has seen Tej or has any information is urged to contact the Forest Hill Police Station on 8847 3600 or call 000.

MadgeS and MarlyWings like this.
  15. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

TWITTER Page for Tej Chitnas
    Lets Bring Tej Home
    https://twitter.com/BringTejHome
    Tej Chitnis left his home in Burwood East at 10 am on Wednesday 27/04
    and has not been heard from since. This page is dedicated to finding Tej

FACEBOOK PAGE (Must be signed in)
    Help Find Tej Chitnas
    https://www.facebook.com/findtejchitnis/
    Any information about Tej Chitnis who has been missing since 10 am on Wednesday.
    Spread the word around to all your friends and get Tej's photo out there

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    MarlyWings likes this.
  16. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

9News Melbourne Coverage Report
    3rd April 2016

Video report from 9NewsMelbourne on Facebook:

Watch Video -

MISSING MAN: PLEASE SHARE
    Tej Chitnis vanished six days ago and police have grave concerns for his welfare.
    If you have any information please contact Crime Stoppers Victoria. #9News

SCREENCAPTURE - from 9newsmelbourne video report
    Searched areas:
    Burwood East - Home
    Ocean Grove - University
    Geelong - University
    Healesville - last phone reception area identified

Tej_Chitnis 15 9news video showing search areas 03 05 2016.jpg

17. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

2nd May 2016

Time to find Tej
    Upper Yarra Star Community News
    Read full Article: http://upperyarra.starcommunity.com.au/mail/2016-05-02/time-to-find-tej/

CONCERNS for missing 22-year-old, Tej Chitnis, were made more personal on Sunday when his brothers distributed notices at Healesville Community Market and at the local junior football matches.
    Many of the stallholders displayed the notices and one told the Mail she was moved by the brothers’ obvious concern.
    -----
    Senior Sergeant Mick Jones told the Mail there were indications he had an affinity with the Yarra Valley and Healesville.
    “The movements of his vehicle have not been confirmed, but there may be some indication he has travelled through that area,” Sen Sgt Jones said.
    “We’re extremely keen to locate his vehicle, or hear from anyone who may have seen Tej.”
    He asked people to keep an eye out and for anyone with information to contact triple-zero, Forest Hill Police Station on 8847 3636, or Healesville police on 5962 4422.

18. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

That ^ is a concern! He was last seen around 10am. Phone pings around midday. Two hour drive from Burwood East to Healesville?? = quite a bit of fuel.... unless he'd filled up prior to leaving because he's not used his bank card since he disappeared.

I'm hoping no-one has stolen his car and phone.

MadgeS, MULDER and Kimster like this.
  19. Kimster

Incredible information here Mulder! After going on a search here in the Northwest, I realize how difficult it is to find somebody and these areas look pretty vast. We would need a lot of volunteers to help search those areas.

MarlyWings and MULDER like this.
  20. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

I am thinking that along the same lines because now the time frame is large - over a week.
    If there is no good reason for Tej to be in that area - it is now the car that needs to be found (as well as Tej of course!!)

The distance from East Burwood to the Healesville area is not significant - average 50kms - so not much fuel would be used - about 4.5 litres if its petrol - and only about 2.5ltrs if its a diesel engine.
    The car (depending on how full it was) could essentially travel a long distance on a tank, and there's no knowing how much fuel was in the car.
    Filling up the car can be done without being noticed if that was the intention - especially in the country areas - using a large jerry can.

I wondered if the Toll road CCTV footage was viewed - or any other CCTV footage along the way - even commercial and residential cameras.
    If the car was in the area - then there might be a picture of it somewhere.

There would be a 60min approx difference between travel time from Burwood East to the Healesville area if it was not a direct drive.
    On the time line:

27th April 2016 - Wednesday
    10:00am
    - Tej left his family’s Burwood East (VIC) home in his Silver 2005 Volkswagon Golf (Reg TTF 517) to drive to Blackburn Train Station. Tej was known to parks his car in a nearby street and catches public transport to University in the City.
    11:26am - A signal from his Vodafone records show his mobile phone was switched off
    11:49am – (Unspecified source reveals) A ping from his phone near Healesville
    04:00pm - Tej failed to return home that evening for an important family dinner celebrating his father’s birthday and older brother’s going away party.

TEJ WAS REPORTED MISSING

FUEL CONSUMPTION
    The fuel consumption for a Petrol WV Golf 2ltr TDi (NRMA review)
    http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-services/reviews/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-tdi.htm
    Based on the Government's Green Vehicle Guide figures:
    The 2.0 petrol Golf 2.0 TDi (98 RON) returned 8.6l/100km.
    The 2.0 TDi returns 5.7l/100km, consistent for this size diesel.

TRAVEL DISTANCE
    Google Maps Burwood East to Healesville
    https://goo.gl/maps/ohdbJTYmHf12
    From Burwood East to Healesville via Maroonda Highway - Distance: 49kms - Travel Time: 53 minutes
    From Burwood East to Healesville via Maroondah Hwy and Burwood Hwy/State Route 26 - 46 min without traffic - This route has tolls.

-------
    I would be going out on a lot of different tangents now.
    Tracker dogs at the Blackburn area (I hope none of his clothes have been washed or stored in a plastic bag) - to see if they can pick up any scent before any rain sets in.
    Might give an idea if the car was in the Blackburn area at all.
    Checking local Petrol station CCTV footage...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
    MarlyWings and Kimster like this.