1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic TEJ CHITNIS: Missing from Burwood East, Vic - 27 April 2016 - Age 22

Discussion in 'Australia: Missing & Unidentified' started by MarlyWings, Apr 28, 2016.

1. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Some thoughts...

I wonder why Tej's car was driving out of Green Street at all ... it is not a main thoroughfare, and River Street (which runs parralell to the Hwy at the end of Green Street) joins the Highway at both ends.
    Had the car come off the highway into River Street and then used one of the car parks behind the shops, then exited via Green Street back onto the Hwy...?

Google Map of area - https://goo.gl/maps/ee1QFcERVLE2

Tej_Chitnis 34 last sighting exiting green street.JPG

Looking at the Screenshot of the area map below - I have marked a red dotted line at the corner of Green Street and the direction Tej's car was seen heading onto the highway.

Tej_Chitnis 33 last sighting exiting green street.JPG

Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  2. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

The mystery continues doesn't it Mulder!!

The reports say Tej was last seen leaving home at 10am,27th April. I'm wondering if that sighting was of him or just his car. There's nothing at all definite to show he was driving that car on Healesville CCTV footage.

MULDER likes this.
  3. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

I see the police reports have been removed....

Not Available

This media release has either been removed for legal reasons or an updated version has been published.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=126&404=1

There's a couple of posts on the HelpFindTej facebook page about the media articles re Tej not attending uni for 2yrs. No replies to those posts. Apart from those posts, there's been almost zero updates on the page for a couple of days and seems no sense of urgency.

Something is very wrong with the entire picture in my opinion!

MULDER and Kimster like this.
  4. Adoku

Adoku Member

VicPolice online news reports are removed from their website after 7 days FYI. I agree that it is a bit odd about the lack of sense of urgency around this entire situation. How had his friends and family not realized sooner into the investigation that he wasn't attending Uni for 2 years? And still there has been nothing said around what he has been up too or experiencing in life recently? Does he have a support network or any close friends that know the real Tej? Or has he been holding back information from everyone?

Aside from Tej being the driver, there is also the chance that Tej wasn't in the car at all in Healesville. Maybe something happened to him earlier in the day and his car was simply driven out to be hidden somewhere in the Healesville direction. It is also a possibility (i.e it can't be ruled out) that there was more then 1 person in the car when that CCTV photo was taken in Healesville. Maybe someone else was driving and Tej was also in there. No way of knowing at this stage.

The situation is really sad and I can't believe it has drawn out this long with no conclusion. That does make me think that his car is either parked in someones garage or hidden in dense bushland at the moment. Also after considering that Tej has been living a bit of a lie to his parents for the last couple of years I have even greater concerns for his welfare. That kind of behaviour can put enormous levels of stress/anxiety on an individual, particularly students from Aussie Indian backgrounds who's parents have huge expectations around education results.

Please please come home Tej.

5. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

There is another very big red flag here - which is very sad - from reports on Facebook it seems that there is no word from Tej and it has been his fathers birthday.
    This is the 3rd instance where Tej has missed an important day in the life of his family - His brothers going overseas dinner - Mothers Day - his fathers Birthday.

https://www.facebook.com/findtejchitnis/

There is a nice photo from the Facebook page of Tej and his father.

Tej Chitnis 35 - with Father.jpg

Where are you Tej - you are missed.

GarAndMo49, Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  6. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Yes VicPol do remove missing person reports after 7days but in most cases an update is issued. An update for Tej was issued on the 12th of this month, 15 days after the initial report was released but nothing since then. And both those reports have been removed.

I read on one of the missing person pages Tej may have had some cash on him, in which case he could have travelled quite some distance, if he indeed was driving that car.

Obviously there's something suspicious for police to call detectives in to investigate.

Kimster and MULDER like this.
  7. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

There is another search party going out next Sunday - 29th May 2016 - you can reply on the Facebook page for information.

Tej Chitnis Searchers
    https://www.facebook.com/tejchitnissearchers/

I wish them lots of luck and hope that they find some answers.

Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  8. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

There must be something happening with the search that the Police are obviously keeping quiet about - I agree Marly.
    There are no more updates as yet.

Just refering back to map and the exit of Tej's car from Green Street, I wondered if the car had taken a back route from the home area of East Burwood so as not to be detected ...
    It might suggest that (1) Tej was not the driver (2) Tej did not want to be seen on the main highway (3) Tej had been somewhere else before he arrived in Healesville via Green Street
    Question... if Tej often took that route and turned from Green Street, wouldnt there be footage from that same camera of his driving prior to the one instance when he was declared missing?

Maybe it was a stroke of luck that the car was seen at all. Its a pity its not clear who was driving - though we dont know if the Police have any further information on that.

Regarding the money - it sounds possible, though I wonder if there was a large withdrawal prior to his disappearance - or if there was/still is, a substantial amount left in the account.

I also wonder if there has been a search on Dating Apps.
    No necessarily just under Tej's name - but checking pics or profiles that would fit Tej's description.

I think it also makes Tej vulnerable - to anyone who may want to take advantage of that situation. :(

Im not saying that there is no hope finding Tej, its trying to piece his last movements from his home together somehow with very few leads, and one ambiguous but crucial sighting of the car.

I would be interested to know what was Tej wearing when he left the house? This is important too.
    What shoes - what sole pattern?
    Did he have any warm clothing with him?
    Are there any items of clothing missing apart from what he wearing - extra clothing and shoes missing?
    What else did he take with him that day? Did he carry a sachel or something that made it look like he was going to Uni?

Should searchers be looking out for discarded accessories such as sunglasses - phones/covers - items he regulary kept in his car?

My thought are with Tej, his family and friends.
    I also want to send Birthday wishes to Mr Chitnis - and support during this time.

MarlyWings likes this.
  9. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Mulder I'm not seeing where it says Tej was in Green Street??

Police report re CCTV footage says......Tej was last seen travelling east on the Maroondah Highway, Healesville near the intersection of Green Street

Also, I read a comment on the facebook page that the pics of the car are two different cars.

IF Tej was sighted when he was supposedly last seen on the morning of 27thApril, why is there no clothing description when that is standard on any missing person case if the person has actually been sighted. Even if he was only seen in the car, whatever shirt or jacket he may have been wearing would have been seen.

His non attendance at uni, in my opinion, is a huge part of it all.

There's so much vagueness and so little actual information.

The whole case is just odd and is no wonder detectives are involved.

MULDER likes this.
  10. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

You're right Marly - :) thanks so much for the clarification about the sighting at the intersection and what the media have reported about the location..

When I look at the photo, I think Im seeing Tej's car just straightening up after it has turned left out of Green Street onto the Highway - I think it may be because the silver van (partially) on the right hand side looks as if it is turning into Green Street -
    both cars dont look straight in their lanes that they are driving in - this is also because ...
    The dark silver car opposite looks as if it is driving straight ahead in its lane - and it makes the other two cars look angled...

Does anyone else see this perspective? or is it just me ;) - OK, it was just me
    Sorry for any confusion..

Tej 31_Chitnis_car_update - vic policenews.JPG

MarlyWings likes this.
  11. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

No problem Mulder!

It's just the CCTV angle that can make shots appear a tad distorted. The curve in the road is adding to distortion as well.

Street view shot of Maroondah Hwy heading east (lower edge to top)and just about to cross over Green Street which runs left to right.The left rear wheel of the car in CCTV shot is on the criss cross white lines on left. The metal sculpture (?) on left is the island/nature strip which divides Green Street. Grand Hotel is the building on right corner.

healesville h'way.JPG

The dark silver car over on opposite side in CCTV pic, I think, is about to turn left into Green Street.

12. Adoku

Adoku Member

Just saw this comment on the Facebook page run by his brother & friends... pretty sad really :(

TLDR; No new clues or any leads from the police (sorry I can't find a cleaner way to host the above image).

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
    Kimster, MULDER and MarlyWings like this.
  13. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This is standard police practise in a missing person case if they believe that person could be somewhere within an area.

The first one is about the search for a guy currently missing out in sth/wst Qld.....

Today, police from Texas, Stanthorpe and Killarney were on scene along with Stock and Rural Crime Investigation Squad members on horseback. There are 20 SES members searching the area today.

There were 45 SES volunteers in the search party on Saturday. A helicopter also assisted on Saturday.

http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news/search-continues-for-missing-man-east-of-texas/3030748/

And this one was from a missing woman case in Victoria.....

Authorities had launched a major search for Ms Hawker, involving the dog squad and mounted police, search and rescue squad, State Emergency Service, Country Fire Authority and Parks Victoria.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...r-in-creek-20160523-gp1tne.html#ixzz49XnluWOM

MULDER likes this.
  14. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Why has there been nothing like the above in Tej's case!?!?!?

MULDER likes this.
  15. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This was the last media report about Tej and nothing for well over a week now.

Mystery surrounds the disappearance of a student, 21, who vanished a month ago but had been pretending to go to classes for TWO YEARS

16 May, 2016

A 21-year-old student who disappeared a month ago has been missing from university classes for two years.

Tej Chitnis, 21, vanished on April 27 after he drove his silver VW Golf from his Burwood East home in Melbourne.

His family expected that he was driving to a nearby train station where he would park his car and board a train for his typical commute to Deakin University's Geelong campus.

But detectives investigating his disappearance have found he has not attended his health science classes since 2014, The Age reported.

What Tej had been doing while he pretended to attend university classes for two years remains a mystery.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3592348/Tej-Chitnis-went-missing-Burwood-East-Melbourne-April-27.html#ixzz49fRB8G3t

MULDER likes this.
  16. Adoku

Adoku Member

You know what Marly, I saw that story about Fiona Hawker yesterday, and even the moment I read it, I also clicked that she had a huge team of staff/volunteers/SES etc. out looking for her, but there was nothing like that for Tej.

I also would like to know why nothing like this has happened for him yet... Hmmmmm...

Kimster, MULDER and MarlyWings like this.
  17. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This is another example of the way police operate searches for missing persons. This case is from Sth Australia, yesterday, a 24yr old guy crashed his car and disappeared. Thankfully he was located safe today.

SAPOL had even called in their STAR group, (Special Tasks and Rescue)

Dog Operations failed to locate Mr Leith....

Police and family members are concerned that he may be seriously injured as a result of the crash.

A further search of the area is currently underway with STAR group and members of the SES assisting.

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...ha-sa-25thmay-2016-age-24yrs-found-safe.4178/

18. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Cayleb Hough, another Victorian case. When Cayleb went missing his family launched a massive social media campaign to try find him. There were constant media articles about him. You could feel the real sense of urgency in his family's attempts to locate him. Sadly, his murdered body was located some months after his disappearance.

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...d-in-bacchus-marsh-vic-dec-2015-arrests.3010/

Tej's case, in my opinion, is the complete opposite. No police searches, no media articles, very little on social media and no real sense of urgency anywhere in attempts to locate him.

Maybe he's absconded because of his non attendance at uni and some folks are aware of this hence the lack of urgency.

I'm sure detectives will get to the bottom of it all though.

19. Adoku

Adoku Member

Maybe they're staying quiet for a reason. e.g further suspicious circumstances which we (the public) can't be made aware of at this stage.

If not that though, it is very odd. Nothing in the MSM or Police articles.

MULDER, Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  20. Adoku

Adoku Member

Posted 9hrs ago on the Help Find Tej Chitnis Facebook Page.

MULDER, MarlyWings and Kimster like this.