1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic TEJ CHITNIS: Missing from Burwood East, Vic - 27 April 2016 - Age 22

Discussion in 'Australia: Missing & Unidentified' started by MarlyWings, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I used to see Cayleb on Twitter all the time.

MULDER and MarlyWings like this.
  2. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Yes Cayleb's family and friends did an outstanding job and set a great example of how to utilize all areas of social media when searching for a missing person.

In Tej's case, in my opinion, everything seemed to stop the day the report was released about his non-attendance at uni for two years.

MULDER and Kimster like this.
  3. Adoku

Adoku Member

It's not great considering they have no leads and police aren't conducting searches. There has also been hardly any social media push or page growth since the 2years of no uni statement. This lack of 'direction' makes me worry that the case may not be resolved for quite some time, if at all?

Hmm...

4. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

In my opinion, in many cases, even if police do have leads, they don't release those details to general public or even the families, unless they deem it to be helpful to their investigation.

VicPol Missing Persons Squad would no doubt be the branch now handling Tej's case. The same branch involved in Cayleb Hough case.

But none of that should stop family and friends from continuing on utilizing social media/awareness campaigns/searches for their missing person.

Adoku, MULDER and Kimster like this.
  5. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

A new post for Tej on Youtube -
    Tej is still Missing....

MarlyWings and Kimster like this.
  6. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Where could he be???

:tears:

MULDER likes this.
  7. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

There must be leads somewhere Kimster - I am concerned that the search has been hijacked by the news of his non attendance at University. which maybe a factor
    in his disappearance, yet, it shouldn't negate the seriousness of Tej's Missing Persons status.

With no leads and no new sightings of him nor his car - and the lack of media news - I fear that Tej's case will fade in the publics mind.
    I think the importance of keeping the case active relies on an official voice in the public areana and the Police also asking for further information on a regular basis
    - even updates regardless if they have no information - just to let the public know that more needs to be done to find him.

Maybe an offer of a small reward for information may help.

I wonder if there has been further developments as to where he has been all the time he was not at University.
    Someone knows the answer to the questions - I wish there was a small lead that could help locate him.

So we wait.....

Where are you Tej?

MarlyWings and Summer_breeze like this.
  8. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Mulder...in my opinion the news of Tej's non attendance at uni was released by police to the media for a reason. The family may know of the reason or they may not. In a lot of cases, if there's something negative about a missing person, police can and do hold that info back.

If I remember correctly, the family quit talking to the media once that news was released. Perhaps they were concerned about "losing face" because of that news but the media can be a very powerful tool in missing person cases. If a member of Tej's immediate family doesn't want to be that "official voice" then I think they should nominate someone to push Tej's name out there.

The family &/or friends need to fully plaster all areas of social media and keep it going otherwise Tej will, as you said, fade in the public's mind.

Kimster and MULDER like this.
  9. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

2 months Missing already - and no word of Tej :(

Main Stream media

3rd July 2016

Sydney Morning Herald
    Family worried sick about Burwood East student Tej Chitnis missing for two months
    Read full article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/47c22575b10fedb71b572bd201bf847e

IT HAS now been two months since Burwood East man Tej Chitnis was last seen, and family are still worried sick not knowing where their beloved son is.
    -----
    Acting detective Senior Sergeant Graeme Savage, from the Box Hill police station, said the investigation was ongoing, and police had confirmed Tej had not been going to his Deakin University classes “for some time”.
    “We confirmed that he hadn’t been going to university for some time, however he was still actively employed up until the time he went missing,” Sen-Sgt Savage said.
    “We’re following a number of inquiries and we’re still hopeful of a positive outcome, however as it’s been almost two months since he was last seen we do have concerns for Tej’s wellbeing.
    “If anyone has any information which may be able to help, we’d encourage them to contact Crimestoppers or the Box Hill Police Station.”

Call Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000 or Box Hill police station on 03 8892 3200 with information.

MarlyWings and Kimster like this.
  10. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

5th July 2016

Nine News -
    Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...s-vic-man-s-disappearance#bcRLC9STYXJtJJWW.99

Mystery surrounds Vic man's disappearance
    Mrs Chitnis, husband Jayant and eldest son Rudra now spend their weekends travelling across the state in search for Tej.
    "We keep going to the spot where he his car was last seen in Healesville ... we've looked for him at Phillip Island. We need to do something. We can't sit at home any longer," she told AAP.
    Police say they are still treating his disappearance as a missing persons case.
    They have investigated many possible sightings, most recently at Berwick Train Station and a McDonald's in the city.
    But they have yet to provide a strong lead.

Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Graeme Savage says Tej's car, which still hasn't been found, is an important piece of the puzzle.
    They are calling on anyone who has seen the VW Golf with the registration number TTF 517 to contact police.

MarlyWings likes this.
  11. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

5th July 2016

7 News
    Read Full Article: https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/31984521/come-home-tej-worried-family-pleads/#page1

Come home, Tej, worried family pleads
    Despite being gone for more than two months and not touching his bank accounts or using his mobile phone, his family and police are confident he is alive.
    Mrs Chitnis says her son's disappearance could be explained by news he hadn't attended university "for some time".
    While initially shocked by the news, the family was relieved - it gave a reason why he might have taken time away.
    "Yes, we are Indian parents but we've never put pressure on the boys to say this or do that - that is what is so disappointing. We would have said, 'Okay, what do you want to do?
    Travel the world? Find your niche'?" Mrs Chitnis told AAP.
    "We just want him home. It's been too long for a time out."
    -----
    ... She said the Healesville community and police had been supportive in their search for Tej - including help from a local Aboriginal elder to search for him in bushland.
    They've even travelled to Phillip Island in their hunt.
    -----
    Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Graeme Savage says police are still "very much" treating Tej's disappearance as a missing-person case.
    He said while the last confirmed sighting of Tej was in Healesville on the day he went missing, there had been other possible sightings police have been unable to confirm.
    "We've had one at Berwick Railway Station and more recently in Melbourne at a McDonalds store. They are all around the state. Some have more credibility than others," he told AAP.
    Act Det Sen Sgt Savage said there were no signs that Tej's disappearance was planned, nor that he had got into trouble - and he urged the young man to contact his family if he was able to.

Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  12. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This is great the family are now talking to media!!

Even though police say some possible sightings of Tej may be more credible than others, it means folks in Victoria are on the lookout for him.

I'm wondering if CCTV was checked out in other towns around Healesville. Tej may have travelled further north or he could have done a U-turn and taken a different road south. Just because he was sighted on Healesville CCTV doesn't mean he stayed in that area.

13. awal

awal New Member

Hi Everyone, Firstly, great website! Been lurking for a while now. In regards to the photo of his car on CCTV, it appears the passenger seat has been lowered [like if you wanted to sleep etc] and the passenger window appears to be down a little. maybe he had a passenger? In this modern era with most shops having CCTV inside and out, surely the shops in this area would have filmed his car driving past at this time? Surely the police would have door knocked all up and down these streets asking to view CCTV footage from their outside cameras at this exact time. Also, were his parents in Australia at the time or in India? The reason I ask is because on his Facebook page under his last post [India's favourite pastime] there is a comment that says "Yes dear Tej...come back once again and participate in Indias favourite game. Come home to your parents". Sounds like pressure to return to India.

MULDER, Kimster and MarlyWings like this.
  14. awal

awal New Member

15. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Hi awal and welcome to CrimeWatchers! Nice to have you on board!

That passenger window does appear to be down a little but it's so hard to tell with all those reflections on it. If only there'd been a shot of the car from just a few feet back.

When I read your post re the passenger seat appearing lowered, I wondered if Tej had a girlfriend at all. There's been plenty of mention of his workmates, basketball friends but no mention as to whether he had a girlfriend.

It's a bit of a mystery as to why police haven't located any footage from other cams in the area. These days, as you've mentioned, most shops/businesses have them installed. There's also quite a lot installed in private residences all around the country.

I presume Tej's parents were in Australia at the time of his disappearance as it was mentioned he didn't return home for an important family dinner. From memory, his brother was due to travel overseas.

MULDER likes this.
  16. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

There's a mention too that the "important family dinner" was also for his father's birthday.

failed to return home that evening where a special birthday dinner for his dad was planned.

http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/...e-small-important-clue-found-tej-chitnis-case

Tej left his family’s Burwood East home to go into the city, but failed to return home that evening for an important family dinner celebrating his father’s birthday and older brother’s going away party.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/e92f0bfee2db594e24df1636e6c2b9d9

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  17. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

MULDER likes this.
  18. awal

awal New Member

The feeling I get is that he has left for some time out and is staying with someone, I hope for the family's sake, this feeling turns out to be right. There is a lot of pressure from parents from this culture for their children to go to university and become doctor's etc. I feel this may have been the case with Tej. There is mention of him going on to study medicine after his current studies [which he hasn't been attending for 2 years] and I think the parents would have been so disappointed in discovering that he wasn't attending university. This may have been enough to make Tej feel like a disappointment and want to leave. I am sure police have looked at this scenario.

19. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

None of the reports really state when his parents first heard the news about his non attendance at uni. But either way, if they'd heard it prior to his disappearance or later, I think it probably does revolve around that. Perhaps it was getting close to a time when Tej had no choice other than to disclose to his parents about uni.

MULDER likes this.
  20. Reva chitnis

Reva chitnis New Member

We are still looking for him haven't given up hope that we will find him. Thank you all the posts and links here. The leader newspaper and 7 yahoo and channel 9 and the age reposted Tej's details online on Monday 5th July

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    GarAndMo49, MULDER, awal and 2 others like this.