1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic The Easey Street Murders - Double murder in Collingwood - 1977

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by Lily, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    Suzanne Armstrong

[​IMG]
    Susan Barlett

The Easey Street murders refer to the killing of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett, who were stabbed to death on 10 January 1977 in their home at 147 Easey Street in the inner Melbourne suburb of Collingwood. The crime remains unsolved as of 2012. The women were stabbed multiple times. Armstrong’s 16-month-old son, Gregory, was unharmed. The women’s bodies were discovered three days after they were killed. Neighbours had heard the baby whimpering.

The murders were later linked to the disappearance and probable murder of Julie Garciacelay, a librarian originally from Stockton, California. Garciacelay had disappeared from her North Melbourne, Victoria apartment on 1 July 1975.[1]

Links between Easey St murders and the Julie Garciacelay missing person case:

Two of the men, both suspects in the disappearance, have died.

The other, former The Truth newspaper reporter John Grant - who was also implicated in the notorious Easey Street killings - has repeatedly denied being involved but has not been cleared by police.

It can be revealed that police are preparing a brief for the Coroner, the latest development in a case which has been re-examined several times in the past four decades.

Ms Garciacelay worked as a librarian at Southdown Press in La Trobe Street, which printed The Truth and The Australian newspapers.

The boxer, Rhys "Tommy" Collins, and violent criminal John Joseph Power, reportedly met Ms Garciacelay when they were in the library researching police corruption.

Mr Grant knew the men from his reporting beat.

He had been asleep at a neighbouring house when Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett were stabbed dozens of times in their rented terrace in Easey Street, Collingwood, on January 10, 1977.

He was cleared of involvement in those unsolved killings, after a DNA analysis in 2010.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...rs-after-she-disappeared-20150701-gi2c5i.html

New DNA testing for Easey Street suspects
    April 8, 2012

NEW DNA tests have been ordered on the original suspects in the infamous Easey Street murders more than a decade after they were cleared by the same technology.

The homicide squad is retesting the eight prime suspects, among dozens of others, in the hope that advances in DNA profiling could lead to a break in the 35-year-old mystery.

Suzanne Armstrong, 27, and Susan Bartlett, 28, were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack in their home in Easey Street, Collingwood, on January 10, 1977. Their bodies were found two days later when neighbours heard the cries of Ms Armstrong's 16-month-old son, Gregory. Ms Armstrong was also raped.

Despite a massive police hunt and a $50,000 reward, no one has been charged with one of the nation's most shocking crimes.

In the late 1990s, police hoped DNA testing would finally reveal the identity of the killer, but the eight key suspects - all of whom voluntarily provided blood samples - were cleared of any connection to the crime scene. A ninth suspect was tested and cleared about two years ago.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/n...et-suspects-20120407-1wie7.html#ixzz3gsAL8jf4

The gut-aching guilt of getting away with murder
    April 7, 2012
    Imagine living with the knowledge that people around you believed you could be a killer. For more than 30 years there was a shortlist of eight men suspected of the knife attacks on Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in January 1977, better known as the Easey Street murders.

While the case remains unsolved, all eight, including a Melbourne journalist, were finally cleared through DNA testing. Interestingly, one who wasn't was a champion sportsman no longer with us.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...with-murder-20120406-1wgvk.html#ixzz3gs9ZdDDE

GarAndMo49, MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I think I've heard of this case before! Due to the child being amongst the murdered for a couple of days. :tears:

GarAndMo49, MissyMoo and Lily like this.
  3. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Unimaginable, isn't it.

I'm looking for a thorough article on the crime details, presently.

One of my teachers lived on this street some years after the murders, he said the crime was pretty much still talked about by locals a lot. It's a very 'arty' area, but Collingwood was pretty rough back in the 70's. My mother moved to a council flat there briefly in that same era, but I don't recall too much about it. It used to be an odd mix of artsy and old school working class.

GarAndMo49 and MissyMoo like this.
  4. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

5. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

New lead in 1977 Vic Easey St murders
    February 26, 2014

A WOMAN claims to know the man responsible for one of Victoria's most baffling crimes, the Easey Street murders in 1977.

Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack in their home in Easey Street, Collingwood, on the night of January 10, 1977.

Homicide squad veteran Detective Senior Sergeant Ron Iddles says a woman called him on Tuesday to say she thinks she may know who committed the murders.

"She said 'listen I don't know whether I'm right but I've had this suspicion about a man who's now 82' and she told me a long, long story," Det Sen Sgt Iddles told Fairfax Radio on Wednesday.

"And now what I need to do is to ultimately go and get his DNA."

He said the claim was worth looking at as the person now aged in his 80s was connected to the Armstrong and Bartlett families.

Police have a DNA profile of the offender but testing in 1999 eliminated all eight prime suspects in the case.

Ms Armstrong was raped and stabbed 29 times and before being found on the floor in her bedroom.

Ms Bartlett was stabbed 55 times and her body found in the hall outside Ms Armstrong's bedroom.

Ms Armstrong's 16-month-old son was left unattended in his cot for two days before the bodies were discovered.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...easey-st-murders/story-e6frfku9-1226838284037

6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

A writer living near Easey St. at the time of the murders writes about the impact of the crime:

Easey Street Remembered
    Marg Hutton
    12 February 2002

The brutal, frenzied, bloody attacks that claimed the lives of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their white brick rented cottage at the eastern end of Easey Street Collingwood in January 1977 profoundly affected me and the circles I moved in. For those of us living in the feminist ghetto, the Easey Street murders were far too close to home - not just because Easey street was right in the heart of our neighbourhood, but Armstrong and Bartlett were about the same age as we were and like us they were living without men. We identified with them - they were our sisters. It was far less than 'six degrees of separation' - many of us knew someone who knew one of them. I had a friend who lived at the other end of Easey Street and taught at Collingwood Education Centre with Bartlett.

[​IMG]

The media sensationalised the murders. Even then we knew we were witnessing something extraordinary - the name of the street, combined with the details of the case lifted it into the realm of nightmare and legend. For more than a week newspaper headlines, television and radio all screamed the details of the murders. We read about how the women had been viciously raped and repeatedly stabbed - each body had more than twenty knife wounds. One of the women had been desperately trying to flee from her attacker and had nearly made it to safety - her body lay in a pool of congealed blood in the hall just a few feet from the front door. The murderer had cleaned up in their bathroom before disappearing into the night. It took two days before the bodies were found - several friends and relatives dropped into the house and left notes on the kitchen table for the women who were dead on the floor just metres away; and all the while Armstrong's two year old son lay sleeping in his cot...

We were all aware that most sexual assaults against women are perpetrated by someone close - a husband, boyfriend or other close male relative the most likely offenders. But the Easey Street murders didn't seem to fit that pattern. The police seemed to have no idea who committed these horrific crimes and portrayed the perpetrator as a crazed madman who would strike again.

Some of us refused to give in to the panic and fear that the police and media were generating and fought back. The walls and billboards of inner suburbs of Melbourne were spray painted with slogans protesting about rape and the media exploitation of the case. A demonstration against rape in Collingwood was attended by hundreds.

http://zarook.com/articles/EaseyStreetRemembered.shtml

8. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

@Lily another one i have never heard if until today.
    Thanks for the links.
    This person has waited nearly 40 years to share her suspicions to VICPOL? Oh my.

GarAndMo49 and Lily like this.
  9. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

GarAndMo49 and Lily like this.