1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on October 12.
    An unknown man and woman picked up Kamille and put her in their vehicle.
    The suspect vehicle is a blue or black SUV, possibly a Toyota 4-Runner, with rims and a “peanut butter brown” protruding bumper.
    Click HERE for more information

NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NSW THE MAN ON THE RACK: Male - Found in Sydney's Hawkesbury River, NSW - Aug 1994 *Identified*

Discussion in 'Australia: Located/Resolved' started by Kimster, May 31, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Located in August 11, 1994 in Sydney's Hawkesbury River, New South Wales, Australia.

• He was a victim of homicide.
    • The victim is most likely to have died between 2 and 5 years before he was found.

Vital Statistics
        • Estimated age: 25 - 45 years old
        • Approximate Height and Weight: 160-166 cm.
        • Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly of Italian, Austrian. Dark brown hair. Possibly of Mediterranean or Central to East European origin.
        • Clothing: He was wearing a pair of large black No Sweat brand tracksuit paints, a medium size black polo neck Everything Australian T-shirt and medium blue & white striped Sparrow brand underpants.
        • Dentals: Available, straight teeth with no fillings, and with only one missing.
        • DNA: Available

Case History
      The victim's body was wrapped in plastic and tied to a metal frame that was custom made for his size and dumped into the river.
    • In the press he is known as The man on the rack or Man in iron cage.

Investigators
      If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
      Homicide Squad Detectives
      02-94110940

or
      02-94110948

Agency Case Number: E48293
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/85umnsw.html

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...know-me-the-man-on-the-rack-in-australia.293/

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    MULDER likes this.
  2. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

What about this polish man reported missing in April of 1994? His car was found abandoned near some hot springs in July of 1994. I don't know much about him or who reported him missing, the circumstances of his missing, etc. he wasn't from the same territory that the UID was found, but he is from a bordering territory.

His looks and the fact he is polish are what struck me. His name is Krzysztof Grzegorz Dziewierz of Adelaide, SA. He was 33 which lies perfectly within the approx age of 25-45 of the UID. He was 5'7" which seems somewhat consistent with the shorter to averaged sized UID.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1463dmsau.html

Attached Files:

FlandersFields, Lily and MissyMoo like this.
  3. Kimster

Oh wow! Aussies, can you direct us where to go for a list of rule outs??

4. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Mmmmm i dont know but i know who will @Lily & @MarlyWings ????:waitasec:
    ^^^^Read what @DaisyChains has come up with, whats the next step?
    Thank you Daisychains! :hanging:this case is horrid for sure.

5. Kimster

:help:

Where do we go now? There is a number in the opening post.... Does someone feel comfortable calling? I don't have international access.

6. DaisyChains

I'm too shy to contact over the phone and I defo don't have international access either. I stutter a bit when I'm trying to explain important info and don't really get points across well verbally. Sad I know lol. If an Aussie could call it in that would be ideal.

@Lily @MarlyWings

MULDER and MissyMoo like this.
  7. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Im happy to call but can i have any tips from someone who has done this before?
    I can see the agency case number and reference is Doe Network? What other stuff do i need?

8. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This might be the best way to handle it....

Potential Match Submission & Database Questions

Potential Match Form (Public)

Please use the form below to have your Potential Match reviewed by the Doe Network PM Panel for possible submission to law enforcement.

Your form will be received by Rocky Wells, our Potential Match Database Administrator.
    Please allow ample time for processing.

http://www.doenetwork.org/forms/index.php?sid=56553

9. Kimster

Now why didn't I know about that before? :facepalm:

10. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Good one Marly, ill do this and keep you all in loop. Daisychains is a legend.
    It would be amazing if she/he (?) helped in getting someones name back to them.

11. Kimster

Thanks for moving this forward, @MissyMoo!

12. DaisyChains

Aw blush thanks missy. :hug::daisy: Maybe it'll help who knows. I sure hope so. If not we still got plenty of work ahead of us, but at any rate...

Thank you @MissyMoo for following up on this match for us!!! Let's get this John Doe his name and dignity back!
    :thankyou:

FlandersFields, MULDER, spike and 2 others like this.
  13. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

14. Kimster

He sure does!!!!

Do you want to submit him, @Scorpio ?

15. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Has there been any follow up on the 2 submissions above? - any replies?

-------------

I came across this article today - http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...y/news-story/a99d3b8d01698777e528e671a0560975

Peat Island is on the Hawksbury River NSW, where the Man on the Rack was found - though I am unsure of the exact location of where the man was found, the
    stories found in the article below made me make a connection.

I wonder if this man was a patient at the hospital - a long term patient.
    If accounts of his death date are correct, it would have been around 1988 they he died - though it could be possible he was in the water longer, being in the plastic bag.
    The hospital was closed in 2010

I found an article which talked about terrible incident in 1983 - so abuse and torture were still going on.
    There were also many sexual predators there as well.
    The hospital housed men women and children :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peat Island
    Read Full Article:
    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...y/news-story/a99d3b8d01698777e528e671a0560975

Australia’s ‘lunatic asylum’ horrors: ‘It was One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in reality’.

“A retarded youth’s 10 fingernails were torn out while under temporary care in a psychiatric institution,” the Daily Telegraph reported in 1983.

“In a 39 page report the NSW deputy ombudsman Darryl Gunter, criticised the Health Department for not investigating the matter adequately.
    “Mr Gunter’s report stems from complaints by the youth’s parents.

“They left their 17 year old son at the Peat Island Hospital on the Hawkesbury River on January 10, 1981.
    “When they collected him on January 28, he was without his fingernails.

“The parents rejected reports from doctors that a 12-year-old patient was responsible.”

[​IMG]
    Historical newspaper clippings pertaining to Peat Island. Picture: News Corp ArchivesSource:News Corp Australia

Dr Ted Freeman, who worked at the mental institution for one year in 1981, described Ward 4 as ‘a prison’.
    “In January 1981, I met with the Medical Superintendent of Peat Island and walked around the wards with him,” Dr Freeman wrote in his book Battle for the InjuredBrain, co-authored by Dr Peter Cullagh.
    “There were approximately 160 patients, or residents as they were called. Some had been inmates for almost 50 years.
    “The staff were caring but it was a custodial institution. Many of the wards had an open-door policy. One ward did not. It was Ward 4.
    “Its doors were heavily padlocked and the windows had heavy wire mesh over them. It was a prison.
    “The smell of human urine, faeces and vomit hit you the moment you entered.
    “The patients were shouting, screaming, yelling, banging their heads, jostling each other, walking or dragging themselves from one place to another apparently without purpose.
    “Many had adopted the typical institutional constant rocking movement — backwards and forwards — whether standing, sitting or lying on the seats or on the floor.
    “Some were openly aggressive. It was One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest in reality.”

Google interactive Map:
    https://goo.gl/maps/7cQSJpVkyKp

Screenshot: Marker shows location of Peat Island.
    Man in a cage Peat Island Hawksbury River nsw.JPG

spike and FlandersFields like this.
  16. Kimster

That's like a torture chamber! :eek:

FlandersFields and MULDER like this.
  17. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

After reading some further articles about Psychiatric Institutions in this country, I am astounded.
    Some of the problems were overcrowding and not having enough staff.
    There were a variety of 'illnesses' of the patients who were left in these places.
    There were isolation/restriction type apparatuses in these places - the metal frame could easily have been one of those.
    This country (very recently) has seen this type of horrific violations used on young people in care of the States.

If the Man on the Rack was a patient, and he was long term (being put in there as a child) there maybe no recorded photos of him as an adult.
    Another consideration is the unmarked graves - who knows who is in the graves, and what is to say a name on the grave is the person, or if the grave even
    contained a person.
    Its just sounds like a horrific sceanrio.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...y/news-story/a99d3b8d01698777e528e671a0560975
    One journalist, who visited the island in 1956, described it as a ‘hospital of forgotten children’.
    Many other unexplained deaths also took place on the island.
    At least 300 patients who died at the institution were buried in unmarked graves at the nearby Brooklyn Cemetery.
    Reports of sexual and physical abuse, torture and a lack of thorough investigations also spilt out from under the closed doors of the site

Peat Island boy drowns smh TROVE.JPG

spike, FlandersFields and Kimster like this.
  18. sheena

sheena New Member

This Peat Island theory is wrinkling my brain!

Managed to come across the info that he was found in the water just off Challenger Head, which is in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.

Did some Google Maps-ing to find the distance along the river between Challenger Head and Peat Island is only 12.77km (image below). Seems plausible to me.

(Creepy side note, on the north end of the Brooklyn Bridge, shown on the image as part of the M1, there is a boat ramp and a rest area. The carpark there is a bit of a lovers lane thing.. I never knew that horrible place was just 500m away!!)

Peat Island to Challenger Head.jpg

MULDER, Kimster and spike like this.
  19. Kimster

Have you been to the carpark before? That would be creepy!

MULDER and spike like this.
  20. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Good sleuthing sheena.
    I'm wondering which way the tide rolled in and out of there.
    There is also a very active fishing community in the area on the waters - there are oyster lots in the area (or there was then).
    Also an amount of cannabis growing.
    Wondering if he was connected to any of the local endeavours.

Old photo of Peat Island - and one form 2007

upload_2017-6-14_11-43-40.png

There is an article here with updated pictures of inside the centre -
    EXCLUSIVE: Haunting pictures from inside the secret island asylum that was Australia's 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest'
    where naked young patients were once kept caged and spent their whole lives banished from society

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-lives-banished-society.html#ixzz4jwAbuqTZ

Kimster and spike like this.