1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, found murdered on banks of Pimpama River, QLD - 5 Nov 2015 *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Australia: Crimes & Trials' started by MarlyWings, Nov 6, 2015.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Tiahleigh's biological mother Cindy Palmer was in court for the hearing.

Speaking to media, Ms Palmer said she was satisfied with the guilty plea but was critical of the duo for allegedly lying to police.

"They are being charged with a lot less than they need to be, but hopefully they get what they deserve," she said.

"They've been lying and being deceitful for the last eleven months, so the least they can do is start being truthful now."

Ms Palmer said Queensland's foster care system needed "a lot of work."

"There's so many aspects of it that need working on and it's not going to be an easy fix," she said.

"They are just kidding themselves if they think it is."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ster-mum-to-plead-guilty-20161010-gryp1r.html

MULDER likes this.
  2. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

It wasn't hard to see the foster mother was going to give the police the story as they mentioned a while back she was co-operating with them.

Why wait almost 11 months?!?! Surely they couldn't have been so deluded they thought they'd get away murder.

MULDER likes this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Tiahleigh Palmer's foster brother considered the Queensland schoolgirl a 'source of income' for his family when he allegedly confessed to an incestuous relationship in an online conversation, court documents show.

The 19-year-old this week made an unsuccessful bail application after he was arrested for incest and attempting to pervert the course of justice in September.

A Facebook conversation with his cousin not long before the 12-year-old went missing last October was contained within documents filed to the Brisbane Supreme Court.

The 19-year-old allegedly said he had sex with the schoolgirl after she threatened to kill his dog and desperately sought advice.

'I would rather kill myself then (sic) live with my family thinking I am some kind of sicko,' Thorburn wrote.

The cousin suggested he ask Tiahleigh to take a pregnancy test.

'I just want the kid gone and out of my life,' he later wrote.

'But I know she is also a sauce (sic) of income for mum and dad as well and I can't risk us loosing (sic) money because she is gone.'

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/nati...iahleigh-palmer-was--a-source-of-income-.html

What a sociopath!

MULDER, Lily and spike like this.
  4. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

spike and Lily like this.
  5. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

... is he seriously trying to say a little 12 year old girl forced him to have sex with her?

spike, MULDER and RedRose like this.
  6. RedRose

[​IMG]

The face of an, alleged killer of a child. Rick Thorburn

spike and MULDER like this.
  7. RedRose

8. RedRose

9. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Just a different perspective on the birth mother.. Idk how many times I've read about abused and neglected kids and thought, "WHY did this mother/parents not put their child in care, if they weren't coping with having kids? Maybe this could have all been avoided.."

I dunno why this little girl wasn't living with her family, but they aren't the ones that raped and then killed her.

Kimster, spike, MULDER and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kimster

THE foster father charged with the murder of Queensland schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, will apply to have a rare judge-only trial.

Rick Thorburn was last year committed to stand trial for his foster daughter’s murder and a charge of interfering with a corpse.

Thorburn’s solicitor Adam Guest today told Supreme Court Justice David Boddice Thorburn wanted to apply for his trial to be heard before a judge only, and not before a jury.

Mr Guest asked for up to two days for a hearing of the application.

Justice Boddice set it down for half a day on June 27.

Tiahleigh Palmer’s decomposing body was discovered on the banks of the Pimpama River, on the northern Gold Coast, six days after she went missing in October 2015.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...l/news-story/7d5b1ecb4ae4639723dc5f908554a9d2

11. Kimster

I've done the same thought process with step parents. I read once that without a blood tie, children are more at risk for abuse. It's sad because there are some amazing step parents out there who get the brunt of the reputation of the bad ones. :(

Lily and spike like this.
  12. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Tiahleigh Palmer: foster father Rick Thorburn gets life for murder

Thorburn, 57, shed tears in the dock of Brisbane supreme court on Friday as he admitted to killing the 12-year-old Logan schoolgirl in 2015 after his son Trent confessed to sexually assaulting her and feared she was pregnant.

He also pleaded guilty to interfering with Tiahleigh’s corpse, attempting to pervert the course of justice and two counts of perjury.

He will spend at least 20 years in jail, before being eligible for parole.

He is the last member of his family to be sentenced over the crime. His two sons and wife have also been jailed.

Trent was jailed in September 2017 for a maximum of four years after pleading guilty at the Beenleigh district court to four charges, including incest.

His mother, Julene, spent six months behind bars after pleading guilty in November 2017 to perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The Thorburns’ eldest son, Joshua, was sentenced to three months in jail in July 2017 after pleading guilty to the same charges as his mother.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...r-father-rick-thorburn-guilty-murder-sentence

WHAT is with the stupidly short sentences for the rest of this monstrous mob?

Four years, for raping a little child??????

He'll be out with plenty of time to keep on raping kids, then.

13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Disgusting family. Instead of making your son face the consequences of his behavior, you murder a little girl to cover it up.
    Wonder where the son learned that behavior in the first place. (Incest charges...)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

spike, Uno2Much and Lily like this.