1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

IL TIMMOTHY PITZEN: Missing from Aurora, IL - 12 May 2011 - Age 6

Discussion in 'Missing 2010 to 2014' started by Kimster, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Brian Michael Rini: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
    Brian Michael Rini has been identified as the 23-year-old man who claimed to be Timmothy Pitzen on April 3. On April 4, the FBI confirmed that his DNA did not match with that of Pitzen, who disappeared in 2011 and hasn’t been seen since.

Rini’s motives are currently unclear. However, Newport police have confirmed that they are looking into his claim of being kidnapped, while also acknowledging that he has given false statements in the past 24 hours, including that he claimed to be 14 years old.

See more at:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/2019/04/brian-michael-rini/amp/

kdg411, Skitt, Whatsnext and 5 others like this.
  2. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

So who is this sicko? Why would you pretend to do that?

kdg411, Skitt, Whatsnext and 3 others like this.
  3. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

:mad:

Skitt, Whatsnext, KareBear and 3 others like this.
  4. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

He really is sick if he thought he was going to get away with it. Read the Heavy.com link in my post above.

Whatsnext, KareBear, noZme and 2 others like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Sorry buddy. Even clean shaven, you don't look 14. :mad::mad::mad:

I understand that as investigators, you have to look into it if someone is claiming to be an abducted child. But this should have never blown up in the media like it did. They should have met with him, knew he had about 3% chance of being honest, and moved on. I feel so bad for Timmothy's family.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

kdg411, Skitt, Whatsnext and 4 others like this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

TBH, I suspected it wasn't him when he described his abductors as two "body builder" types, one with a spider web tattoo and one with a snake tattoo. Typical "movie bad guys".
    But, as we all know, stranger things have happened. Gotta have hope.

Apparently he's received psychiatric care in the past, per the link Paradise posted. It wasn't mentioned what it was for. Rini's brother mentions a bit more in the article below.

Brother of Medina man accused of pretending to be missing boy, speaks out

In the interview, Rini expressed his disappointment and says he has no clue why his brother would take on this persona.

"I'm not surprised, I mean he's nuts. He's been doing stupid stuff, not this serious, but he's been doing stupid stuff for as long as i can remember," said Jonathan.

He went on to say that his brother struggles with several metal health issues and he hopes he gets help.

"He has Asperger's, bipolar disorder, ADHD, the list goes on. He was receiving treatment but then he stopped and started getting in more trouble," Rini added.

A look at Brian Rini's background by WKYC shows that he has a lengthy criminal history in Medina County. He most recently served time for burglary and vandalism and was released from a state prison on March 7.

It remains unclear what charges Rini could face for claiming to be Timmothy Pitzen. However, it is being reported that he could face local charges of falsely reporting an incident.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/l...s-out/95-c5e4ce13-025b-44ac-9ddb-77e2be68c635

kdg411, Kimster, Skitt and 5 others like this.
  7. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

dadgummit!

Sunburst, Skitt, Whatsnext and 4 others like this.
  8. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member

:eek:...
    :angry:How very cruel to Timmothy's family, that's just wrong... :( Now to turn attention back to finding Timmothy who is out there somewhere :vigil:

9. KareBear

:rant:He needs help...

Cousin Dupree and Paradise like this.
  10. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

This might have started with media listening to scanner and heard the dispatch call and they ran with it.

11. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

I did not pick up on that. I was too focused on how much alike they (dad and "boy") looked :(
    I guess he lightened his hair, because he actually has dark hair.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ars-ago/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5170fd6bca31
    Police in Newport said the man was not Timmothy Pitzen but Brian Michael Rini, from Medina, Ohio, whom they identified based on a DNA test. He is 23 years old, not 14, the age Timmothy would be, Chief Thomas Collins told The Washington Post.

Police said Rini was in custody as prosecutors weighed possible charges, such as falsely reporting an incident.

He appears to have a criminal record. He had recently been released from prison in Ohio after a more-than-year-long sentence stemming from convictions for burglary and vandalism, according to state prison records.

12. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

Thanks for this! Best info on he culprit I have seen

13. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Yeah, the description of his abductors seemed stereotyped but I'm with you, I always want to have hope!

14. Redrover

Redrover Well-Known Member

Such a shame. To give that family hope and then have it crushed is just plain wrong. This young man clearly has some mental health issues.

15. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

There is one good thing that has come of this, I've seen and heard quite a few people ask about this case that didn't know about Timmothy before. It's not the public awareness strategy we want, but it is a silver lining in a cloudy situation.

16. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. The awareness of this now may lead to a break in the case.

ima.grandma, spike, Skitt and 4 others like this.
  17. KareBear

That is a good way to look at it.. :twocents:
    'They' always say, "bad publicity is better than no publicity".. I am hopeful that this applies across the board..

ima.grandma, Skitt, Kimster and 4 others like this.
  18. ima.grandma

ima.grandma Believer of Miracles

Note: You can read the full criminal complaint filed against Brian Michael Rini below.

Prosecutors say the 23-year-old Ohio man accused of impersonating Timmothy Pitzen did so after watching a television show about the boy missing from Aurora, Illinois, since 2011.

Brian Michael Rini was charged with making a false statement or representation to a department or agency of the United States, according to a criminal complaint filed against him in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
    The offense is punishable by up to eight years in federal prison because it involved lying about matters related to the sex trafficking of children, the U.S. attorney's office said at a news conference Friday.

"On behalf of the United States, my heart goes out to the family of Timmothy Pitzen," U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio Benjamin Glassman said, adding, "I can only imagine the kind of pain that they have been through and that this episode has caused for them."

Rini was ordered held without bond in his initial court appearance Friday morning. He was expected to appear in court again Tuesday for a detention hearing, prosecutors said. Federal court records don’t list an attorney for Rini.

Authorities said police in Newport, Kentucky, found Rini "wandering the street and looking confused and in need of assistance" on Wednesday. He told investigators he was Timmothy and that he had been abducted when he was 6 years old and "just wanted to go home."

Timmothy's disappearance has remained a mystery since Amy Fry-Pitzen took her son out of school and traveled to multiple Midwest water parks before she was found dead of an apparent suicide in a Rockford motel room on May 14, 2011. A note left behind in the motel room said that Timmothy was safe and in someone's care, but that he would never be found.Staggering Details Emerge About Brian Rini's Background[​IMG]

23-year-old Brian Michael Rini had just finished serving more than a year in prison before he allegedly impersonated a missing Aurora boy. NBC 5 Investigates' Chris Coffey has more staggering details.
    (Published Thursday, April 4, 2019)
    Investigators said Rini told them Wednesday that he had slipped away from two kidnappers who had held him for the past seven years, the police report on the incident states. He told investigators he had escaped an unknown Red Roof Inn, according to the police report, and "kept running across a bridge" into Kentucky.

Rini then complained of abdominal pain, prosecutors said, and was taken to the Cincinnati Children's Hospital emergency room, where he continued to claim to be Timmothy and said that he "had been sexually and physically abused for years while in captivity."

He refused to be fingerprinted, officials said, but agreed to a cheek swab that was then tested against DNA from Timmothy's parents. The results indicated that Rini could not be related to the boy's parents and in comparison with the FBI's known samples, identified him as Rini, according to the complaint.DNA Shows Man Found Was Not Timmothy Pitzen: FBI[​IMG]

DNA test results showed a person claiming to be missing Aurora boy Timmothy Pitzen is not actually the missing child, according to the FBI. Kate Chappell reports.
    (Published Friday, April 5, 2019)
    "FBI agents returned to talk again to the individual claiming to be Timmothy Pitzen, they identified themselves to him as FBI agents, they administered Miranda warnings, they warned him that lying to a federal agent is a violation of federal law," Glassman said. "Nevertheless he again repeated that he was Timmothy Pitzen and had escaped from a hotel where he had been held captive."

But once confronted with the DNA results, prosecutors said Rini told officers that he was not Timmothy but had watched an episode of ABC's 20/20 about the boy.

Rini told investigators that he "wanted to get away from his own family," the complaint reads, "and that he "wished he had a father like Timmothy's, because if he went missing, his father would just keep drinking."

Prosecutors alleged that Rini had pretended to be a sex trafficking victim on two prior occasions and in both instances had been identified once he was fingerprinted.

Rini had been released from an Ohio prison less than a month before this incident, records obtained by NBC 5 Investigates show.Pitzen's Family Reacts After Truth Revealed[​IMG]

In the hours after it was revealed that an Ohio man apparently impersonated a missing Aurora boy, the child's family reacted to the deception. NBC 5's Michelle Relerford has the details.
    Records from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction show that Rini was sent to prison in January 2018 after he pleaded guilty to burglary and vandalism in connection with a "tattoo party" held at a model home. After serving most of an 18-month prison sentence, Rini was released on March 7.

Investigators from the Aurora Police Department had traveled to the Cincinnati area in hopes that the person was in fact Timmothy, the only child missing from the western suburb, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

"Although we are disappointed that this turned out to be a hoax, we remain diligent in our search for Timmothy, as our missing person's case remains unsolved," Aurora Sgt. Bill Rowley said in a statement. Aurora Cops React After DNA Shows Man is Not Timmothy Pitzen[​IMG]

Aurora police react after DNA tests showed a man claiming to be a boy missing from the Illinois town was not actually Timmothy Pitzen, the FBI said.
    At a news conference, Rowley said that despite the fact Pitzen was not found, the department is optimistic that the case is now so prominently back in public discussion.

“It created a renewed awareness in the case,” So I think that’s probably good, it’s good that it’s got people thinking about the case again, and perhaps has people looking at the case with new eyes.”

Rowley said he did not believe anyone has ever claimed to be Pitzen before.

“Over the years we’ve had, I would say, thousands of tips on where Timmothy may have been, or what may have happened to him and of course we diligently followed up on all of those,” he said.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...ichael-rini-criminal-complaint-508170791.html
    scroll document up and down.

Skitt, Whatsnext and Cousin Dupree like this.
  19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Man who claimed to be Timmothy Pitzen found competent to stand trial

An Ohio man accused of impersonating Timmothy Pitzen, the Illinois boy who went missing in 2011 at age 6, was found competent to stand trial.

U.S. Attorney Benjamin Glassman said Rini faces up to eight years in prison if convicted of making false statements to a federal agent.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...othy-pitzen-competent-stand-trial/4116091002/

Skitt, Whatsnext, Kimster and 4 others like this.