1. BREAKING NEWS IN THE BEAR BROOK MURDERS CASE!
    Three of the Jane Does have been IDENTIFIED!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  4. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  6. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

FL TRENTON DUCKETT: Missing from Leesburg, FL - 27 Aug 2006 - Age 2

Discussion in 'Missing 2000 to 2009' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Apr 25, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Trenton was put to bed by his mother in Leesburg, Florida around 7:00 pm on the night of August 27, 2006. Two hours later when she went to check on him, he was gone. The bedroom window screen had been slit. Authorities initially believed Trenton was abducted, but later started focusing on his parents, as they were in the middle of a huge custody battle. Some of Trenton's photos and toys were found in a trash bin at his mother's apartment. Almost 2 weeks after Trenton disappeared and after appearing on Nancy Grace, his mother was found dead of suicide. She left two notes, but neither gave any indication of what happened to Trenton. Two weeks after her death, police officially named her as a suspect.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

FBI - http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/trenton-john-duckett/view
    NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3998/0/
    NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1052224
    Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/duckett_trenton.html

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/trenton-duckett-missing-from-leesburg-fl.33/

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    Uno2Much, MULDER, Akoya and 6 others like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I remember watching his mother on NG and thinking she was hiding something. And I remember the shocking chill that came over me when I learned she committed suicide.

Trenton, you are not forgotten!

Uno2Much, MULDER, Akoya and 9 others like this.
  3. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

The age-progression photo makes me sad. I just know the "mom" killed him that day or drove off & left him in the middle of Ocala National Forest.
    My hinky meter buzzed on her story from the very first article & when I saw her interviewed ... no doubt left in my mind. As we saw a few days later, she had zero impulse- control.

Uno2Much, MULDER, Akoya and 7 others like this.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

The age-progression of Trenton in the OP has been auto-updated, but I just wanted to mention it. It's new. Age-progressed to 11. ELEVEN. Trenton would now be 11.

NCMEC posted a video on their Facebook page. Not sure how to directly link that but the page is here: https://www.facebook.com/missingkids

Or, I think this link should be a direct link to the video, because NCMEC posts a lot and it may be difficult to find on their page.

https://video.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net...=b329f4ae6f80025817e584d9b3926d42&oe=55CE4A25

MULDER, Akoya, spike and 6 others like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

MULDER, Akoya, spike and 5 others like this.
  6. Kimster

:praying: Prayers for Trenton's loved ones! :vigil:

MULDER, Akoya, spike and 4 others like this.
  7. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

I agree, @noZme . Always had the same impression. It's frustrating that she may have taken the answers with her.

MULDER, Akoya, spike and 2 others like this.
  8. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Beach Bum

This case was one of the first I followed. I've always that that the mother killed him and staged a kidnapping. The screen was cut from the inside. She threw away his things including his sonogram, What mother would do that? IMO, she killed herself because she was a coward.

Uno2Much, MULDER, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  9. Kimster

Thanks Lone! I'd forgotten about her throwing out the sonogram! :tears:

noZme, MULDER, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/trenton-john-duckett/view

TRENTON JOHN DUCKETT
    August 27, 2006
    Leesburg, Florida

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Date(s) of Birth Used August 10, 2004
    Place of Birth Leesburg, Florida
    Hair Brown
    Eyes Brown
    Height 3'0" (at time of disappearance)
    Weight 35 pounds (at time of disappearance)
    Sex Male
    Race Bi-Racial (Asian/White)

Details:
    Trenton John Duckett reportedly has been missing from his home in Leesburg, Florida, since August 27, 2006.

Submit a Tip:
    If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Field Office: Jacksonville

Uno2Much, spike, noZme and 1 other person like this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3998/0/

NamUs MP # 3998
    Trenton Duckett
    [​IMG]
    Lake County, Florida
    2 year old asian or pacific islander male
    Case Report - NamUs MP # 3998

Case Information

Status Missing
    First name Trenton
    Middle name John
    Last name Duckett
    Nickname/Alias
    NCMEC number 1052224
    Date last seen August 27, 2006 19:00
    Date entered 12/20/2009
    Age last seen 2 to 2 years old
    Age now 12 years old
    Race Asian or Pacific Islander
    Ethnicity
    Sex Male
    Height (inches) 36.0
    Weight (pounds) 35.0

Circumstances
    City Leesburg
    State Florida
    Zip code 34748
    County Lake
    Circumstances
    Trenton was last seen at approximately 7:00 p.m. on August 27, 2006. Trenton is Biracial. He is Asian and White. Trenton has a small mark over his left eye. He was last seen wearing denim shorts and a green and blue striped shirt.

Physical
    Hair color Brown
    Head hair

Body hair

Facial hair

Left eye color Brown
    Right eye color Brown

Scars and marks
    Trenton has a small mark over his left eye.

Clothing
    At the time of his disappearance, Trenton was wearing blue denim shorts and a green and blue striped shirt.

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Lieutenant
    First name George
    Last name Whittaker
    Phone 352-787-2121
    Website
    Case number 06083735
    Date reported
    Jurisdiction Local
    Agency Leesburg Police Department
    Address 1 115 East Magnolia Street
    Address 2
    City Leesburg
    State Florida
    Zip code 34748
    Comments

Title Special Agent
    First name James
    Last name Casey
    Phone (904) 248-7000
    Website
    Case number
    Date reported
    Jurisdiction Federal
    Agency FBI
    Address 1
    Address 2
    City Jacksonville
    State Florida
    Zip code 32256

Uno2Much, spike and noZme like this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1052224

Trenton Duckett

[​IMG]

Trenton's photo is shown age-progressed to 11 years. He was last seen at approximately 7:00 p.m. on August 27, 2006. Trenton is Biracial. He is Asian and White. Trenton has a small mark over his left eye. He was last seen wearing denim shorts and a green and blue striped shirt.

Leesburg Police Department (Florida) 1-352-787-2121

Uno2Much, spike and noZme like this.
  15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...it-melinda-ducketts-suicide/story?id=12096851

Nancy Grace Settles Lawsuit Over Guest's Suicide
    • By SHEILA MARIKAR
    Nov. 9, 2010

[​IMG]

The family and estate of Melinda Duckett, the young mother of a missing child who fatally shot herself after being battered by tough questions from talk-show host Nancy Grace, have dismissed a lawsuit against Grace and CNN.

According to court records obtained by The Associated Press, the settlement requires that Grace establish a $200,000 trust dedicated to finding Duckett's missing son, Trenton, who was 2-years-old when he disappeared.

If Trenton is not found alive by his 13th birthday, money in that trust will be transferred to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Trenton would be six today.

If Trenton is found alive before his 13th birthday, his adoptive grandmother will gain control of money in the trust until his 18th birthday, when Trenton could then use the funds as he wishes.

In 2006, Duckett, then 21, appeared on Grace's show soon after her son, Trenton, went missing. Grace accused Duckett of hiding something, apparently because of her vague answers and unwillingness to take a lie-detector test. Police later named Duckett the prime suspect in the boy's disappearance.

Duckett committed suicide the day the taped interview was scheduled to air, Sept. 8, 2006. Soon after, her family filed a lawsuit charging Grace with the wrongful death of Duckett.

"Nancy Grace and the others, they just bashed her to the end," Duckett's grandfather, Bill Eubank, said following her death.

The lawsuit accused Grace, whose show airs on CNN's sister network HLN, of inflicting emotional distress on Duckett with her interrogation about the missing boy.

The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Ocala, Florida, in 2006. The settlement agreement between Grace and the Duckett family lawyers was filed Friday and still needs a federal judge's approval. The trial was scheduled to begin next month.

CNN said in a statement Monday that network officials were pleased the lawsuit has been dismissed.

"After four years of litigation and extensive discovery, the parties now agree that Nancy Grace, the producers of her program, and CNN engaged in no intentional wrongdoing in the course of dedicating a program to finding the missing toddler, as alleged in the lawsuit," Jay Paul Deratany, a lawyer representing Duckett's family and estate, said in a statement sent to The Associated Press.

In the wake of Duckett's 2006 suicide, Grace faced harsh criticism from her peers in the press. MSNBC host Joe Scarborough called the tragedy Grace's "Jenny Jones moment," referring to a 1995 taping of "The Jenny Jones Show" that preceded one guest murdering another.

Grace, a former prosecutor, defended her actions. In an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America" following Duckett's death, Grace said, "If anything, I would suggest that guilt made her commit suicide. To suggest that a 15 or 20-minute interview can cause someone to commit suicide is focusing on the wrong thing."

Uno2Much, spike, noZme and 1 other person like this.
  16. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://lightingtheirwayhome.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/trenton-duckett-missing-august-27-2006/

TRENTON DUCKETT – Missing August 27, 2006 –

Trenton Duckett was born on August 10, 2004 to parents Melinda Eubanks and Joshua Duckett. Melinda and Joshua dated during high school, and married in July 2005, a month before Trenton’s first birthday. Trenton was reported missing just 17 days after his 2nd birthday on August 27, 2006. A phone call from Melinda that stated she had been at home watching TV and when she went to check on her son (who was reported to be sleeping in his bedroom) he was gone. This phone call would open the book on what had been a troubled and tragic life for this little boy.

During his first two years of life, Trenton had been shuffled back and forth between his parents, his paternal grandmother, his maternal great-grandparents and into foster care.

The department of Children and Families was first notified and became involved on April 6, 2005, just shy of 9 months after Trenton was born. In the initial report Melinda was accused of threatening to cause physical harm to the young boy, unless Joshua (the boy’s father) would talk to her. In this report the case worker also noted that Melinda had scars on her arm from cutting herself. It also noted that the mother had squeezed the child so tightly, the little boy was crying out and screaming. Over the next few months the growing violence between the Ducketts would grow, and DCF would become more involved. Both parents were court ordered to various classes, and evaluations and custody between the two would continue to shuffle. The full chronological report regarding the history the Ducketts had with DCF and the court system is as follows.

https://lightingtheirwayhome.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/trenton-duckett-missing-august-27-2006/

On August 27, 2006 two-year-old Trenton Duckett was reported missing by his 21-year-old mother, Melinda Duckett. An Amber Alert was issued and police from six local agencies armed with bloodhounds and local volunteers began searching for the missing boy. Roadblocks were set up and fliers with pictures of Trenton were distributed. But as the days went on, there was little information coming in for the investigators to go on in their search. Melinda claims to have put her son to bed and was watching movies in the other room with friends. Around 9 p.m., she says she went to check on her young son and found that Trenton Duckett was gone. The only clue the Florida, Leesburg’s police had to go on was a cut in the window screen of the boy’s room.

Due to the fact that some parts in her story either didn’t make sense or had variations, police soon suspected Melinda may have had something to do with her son’s disappearance. Upon entering her apartment they noticed quite a few things that struck them as odd. Although she first agreed to allow them to search her apartment, they decided they would get a search warrant. When they received the court-approved search warrant, police entered Duckett’s apartment at the Windermere Villas in Leesburg for a more thorough search on Monday, Aug. 28. When police went back into the apartment to start their search, they noticed freshly painted walls in some places, and in the back of the building, trash that was allegedly thrown out of Duckett’s apartment was filled with Trenton’s toys. But what grabbed investigators’ attention was pictures, officials said. They said a lot of pictures of Trenton, including the sonogram printout from when Duckett was pregnant, were all thrown away in the trash. Investigators said the photos are what made them take a hard look at Duckett from the beginning of the investigation.

Investigators said since two days after Trenton was reported missing, they began closely checking cell phone activity from Trenton’s mother, Melinda Duckett. Calls from her cell phone have helped officials build a time line of her activities following the disappearance.

Activities on Melinda Duckett’s computer are also being scrutinized. A posting on Joshua Duckett’sMySpace.com homepage, which threatened Melinda and Trenton Duckett was found by investigators on Aug. 31 to have actually been written by Melinda. In part it reads: “I hate you because you ruined my life and took my son.” ‘”I am going to hunt you and your damn son down one day and kill both of you.” “I don’t even think Trenton is my son anyway and your (sic) going to pay for what you’ve done to my life.” “When I get my hands on your f—– (racial slur) a– you’ll regret what you’ve done … and I’ll bury your son with you.” It was also reported that Melinda had also sent herself an email muttering more less the same words that were posted on the homepage, making it appear that Josh had written it. Josh advised (the detective) that he thinks his wife somehow accessed his password, and changed his information, and also typed and sent the letter to herself. According to investigators, Melinda Duckett was trying to set her estranged husband up.

While investigators continued looking into both Melinda and Joshua Duckett, other members of the investigation were busy searching for the boy in various parts of the area including the Ocala National Forest. Tips were called into the tip hotline from campers that were there shortly before the little boy went missing. While searching there, the police found a stuffed animal that didn’t offer any definitive answers or clues. Searchers also found a garbage bag with what appeared to be alligator bite marks and blood on it. The bag was sent off, but determined not to be blood.

Meanwhile, both parents were given “voice stress tests”. The father of young Trenton passed this, as well as a polygraph test administered by investigators. However, when the “voice stress test” was administered to the mother of the boy it showed significant signs of deception. While she agreed at first to take a polygraph test, when asked questions about the day Trenton went missing Melinda decided to walk out of the test and not answer the questions. Although, not a sign of guilt her failure to complete this test strengthened investigators suspicion that Trenton’s own mother may have had something to do with his disappearance.

On September 7, 2006 both Joshua and Melinda appeared on CNN’s Nancy Grace. Melinda was interviewed by phone, and the recorded segments were to be aired on September 8. Nancy started off asking the father some questions, then had the mother join in on the conversation. Nancy asked Josh questions ranging from where he was when he learned about his missing son, where he worked, what time he had to be at work, why he was in bed at 9:45, to what his visitation with the child and when was the last time he had seen him. Mr. Duckett stated that when he would spend time with his son, they would do family type things. He stated that Trenton knew not to talk to stranger, and would most definitely scream out if a stranger attempted to take him. He also said that it was hard to believe that Trenton wouldn’t have woken up if someone took him from his bed, because the child was a very light sleeper and would often wake up when moved after falling asleep.

Uno2Much, spike, noZme and 2 others like this.
  17. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

continued:

Nancy then turned her questions to the boy’s mother. The boy’s mother immediately stated the opposite of what the father had just stated. She insisted that Trenton was not a light sleeper, and could easily be moved from room to room when sleeping. She also claims that the child was very friendly, always talked to strangers, and would not have cried if someone attempted to take him. Nancy tried to ask Melinda if she had taken a polygraph test, but Melinda tried her hardest to avoid the question. Nancy then asked the father, he told Nancy that he had taken one and passed. Melinda, finally (after several times asked) stated that she did not think the investigators had enough experience, but never answered the question. Later, Nancy would question her about her whereabouts the day Trenton went missing. Melinda was asked which stores she might have visited during the day. Nancy’s thinking was that maybe a store camera would have seen someone following them. However, Melinda refused to answer saying that she didn’t trust the media to release that information. After a few minutes of further questioning, Melinda Duckett walked away from the telephone handing it to her grandmother.

In early May, Duckett posted a long rambling message titled, “Light Of My Life.” She wrote her message in all capital letters.

In it, she wrote, “One component that I hold extremely valuable in my life is my son. His name is Trenton and I have a feeling that many of the people I talk to do not know about him … and even after they read this, being the fact that they are trying to date me instead of being friends and do not want a child involved.”

“I have had to fight to keep my son, whom I am extremely proud of,” she wrote in another posting.

Also, she blogged, “I live for my son right now and because I have matured beyond my years and been forced to take on tasks that the average 20 year old does not normally have to deal with, I want everyone to know how proud I am to be how I am.”

In a message posted in early June titled “Can’t Understand” — again these words were written in all capital letters — she wrote, “Why can not anyone understand, the burdens I hold within my hand. Life can not be all fun for I, so many issues that I have to hide.”

Fifteen days later, another message was titled “Move On” and it was apparently meant for a specific person. She wrote, “I set my expectations too high. They were already in place before you came by. It’s not your fault for this disaster, the actions were made and the warnings after.”

The last time someone logged into Duckett’s MySpace account was Sept. 7

On September 8, 2006 Melinda’s body was found at her grandparents home in Lady Lake Florida. She had killed herself with her grandfather’s shotgun. The sides are divided on the reason’s she would have taken her life. Most think it was because she knew she was guilty, while others think the talk show host pushed her over the edge. Melinda’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Nancy Grace and CNN in December 2006. In November 2010, the lawsuit was settled. CNN agreed to set up a $200,000.00 trust fund to finance the search for Trenton. If Trenton is located alive before his 13thbirthday, the money will go to him; if he is not found alive by then, the money will be donated to The National Center For Missing And Exploited Children.

Two suicide notes were found.

This is the link for the note addressed to her family

http://www.wesh.com/download/2006/0926/9938993.pdf

These are the links for the notes addressed to the public

http://www.wesh.com/download/2006/0925/9929801.pdfhttp://www.wesh.com/download/2006/0925/9929805.pdf

Trenton’s father Joshua continues looking for his son to this day. Although more details about Melinda’s life were discovered, there were very few leads that have given detectives on the case any hope of finding this little boy. However, if you have any information about this child you are still being asked to contact investigators. You can also make donations, offer prayers, and volunteer with “Team Trenton” (a group of family, friends, and volunteers working to find this child) by visiting their website:www.helpfindtrenton.com

It is possible that we may never know what happened, or where little Trenton Duckett is. That one person that may have had such information, has likely taken it to her grave.

spike, noZme and MULDER like this.
  18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

www.nydailynews.com

Melinda Duckett, Trenton's mother, holds a picture of her and her son shortly after he went missing. The 21-year-old mother committed suicide

[​IMG]

spike, noZme, MULDER and 1 other person like this.
  19. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike and MULDER like this.
  20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Kimster, spike, noZme and 1 other person like this.