1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Unidentified forum - General Questions, Answers, Tips and Information

Discussion in 'Unidentified General Information' started by Kimster, May 20, 2015.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Just coming here to post the same vice.com link....

There is also a FB page set up for the purpose of identifying people in the photographs. The last time the page was posted on/updated was June 2015. https://www.facebook.com/Help-Find-Serial-Killer-Rodney-Alcalas-Victims-161183953929612/

Timeline of Alcala's movements/whereabouts from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala#
    The Wikipedia page also lists some of the known aliases he used

There is also this link, containing 7 pages of photos. I could not find a date for it. http://crime.about.com/od/serial/ig/Rodney-Alcala---Photographs/index.01.htm#step-heading

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    GarAndMo49 and Kimster like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Hmmm. I see the FB site isn't generating much activity. Let me think on this for a bit. What we could do is something different to respark interest. Putting their pictures on Twitter would be a great start. :thinking:

Sunburst likes this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

From the reading I have done, it sounds like LE is removing the photos of people who have been identified. Maybe David Lohr of the Huffington Post could do an article? He wrote one about Grateful Doe about 2 years ago, when Jason C. had not yet been identified as Grateful Doe.

Kimster likes this.
  4. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

Question for all, especially Advocate and those who work on these cases: do you think having a thread for this woman would be helpful? I know there are threads in other places, including Greymetal's reddit site, and I know many folks have put in a lot of time and effort towards getting her identified over the years. I'm asking for opinions because I'm not at all well-versed in helping with the unidentified; I'll gratefully respect opinions/decisions of those in the know. Mods, please delete if necessary, and advance apologies if I posted in the wrong place. Thanks!

NamUs UP # 6279

[​IMG]
    ME/C Case Number: N1996-41257
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    50 to 70 year old White Female
    Demographics
    Estimated age Adult - Pre 70
    Minimum age 50 years
    Maximum age 70 years
    Race White
    Ethnicity
    Sex Female
    Weight (pounds) 157, Measured
    Height (inches) 60, Measured
    Body Parts Inventory (Check all that apply)
    All parts recovered
    Head not recovered
    Torso not recovered
    One or more limbs not recovered
    One or both hands not recovered
    Body conditions
    Recognizable face
    Probable year of death 1996 to 1996
    Estimated postmortem interval Hours
    Circumstances
    Location Found
    GPS coordinates
    Address 1 8420 Little River Turnpike
    Address 2 Pleasant Valley Memorial Park Cemetery
    City Fairfax
    State Virginia
    Zip code
    County Fairfax
    Circumstances
    Groundskeeper at the Pleasant Valley Memorial Park Cemetery found the body of a white female. Two notes at the scene requesting no autopsy and stating she had ingested valium and alcohol prior to death.

spike likes this.
  5. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

Ok, well I guess I have my answer. Sorry for taking up so much space; thanks to anyone who read the post. Mods, please feel free to delete. I'm also sorry for posting this publicly; I probably should have checked with staff in private. :cover::doh:

spike likes this.
  6. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

https://corporate.discovery.com/dis...riginal-content-for-2016-2017-upfront-season/

I don't know where to post this exactly but thought this thread would be appropriate.

Investigation Discovery are launching 13 new series to their 2016-2017 lineup. One is the ''JANE DOE DIARIES''

I'm very disappointed Disappeared isn't among the returning series. Not really surprised though.

spike and Kimster like this.
  7. Kimster

:thankyou: for posting this! I didn't know about it.

I'm sad about Disappeared also. :(

spike likes this.
  8. Kimster

Please use the tags for identifying markers, including whether or not DNA has been completed. It really helps when trying to make matches.

:thankyou:

spike likes this.
  9. Kimster

For those who have been looking to make matches for awhile, what advice would you give someone who wants to learn more about how to find out how to identify the unidentified?

spike and Scorpio like this.
  10. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

Sunburst and spike like this.
  11. Kimster

spike likes this.
  12. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

I'm not sure, because NamUs deletes profiles straight away after they've been identified.

I remember Carl at WS saying once that unless DA from both parents in the NamUs profile for a missing person, an automatic match is not guaranteed. If the missing persons DNA is in CODIS, that automatically includes them as match. However, from what i understand DNA is only submitted to CODIS if the police suspect foul play in a case.

Kimster and spike like this.
  13. Kimster

Makes sense. We had a family member missing for a few months out on the road, and they immediately put him into CODIS, but they certainly didn't ask us for our DNA.

Scorpio and spike like this.
  14. Kimster

Scorpio likes this.
  15. Kimster

spike and Paradise like this.
  16. Kimster

A response I rec'd from an agency regarding a UID submission I made today. Wanted to copy and paste it here because it's a good reminder of why we don't always get answers from our submissions. I thought this agency was very kind in taking the time to write me so quickly. This one is in Fort Worth, Texas.

Please note, identification and exclusions are only made and/or confirmed by investigating agencies. The results of comparisons may or may not be made available to the public for investigatory reasons.

17. Kimster

THE STATE OF OREGON:

“You may be able to help me identify this unidentified female," Dr. Nici Vance says in her YouTube series called "Help ID Me".

"They’re lost," she says, "and I want to help find their homes."

It's Vance's job as Oregon's state Forensic Anthropologist to put a name to the 150 found dead in Oregon who have yet to be identified.

That's no easy task.

“It can be challenging to maintain the diligence and the passion about these cases," Vance said, "but for me, you sit here and you think about the fact that I'm surrounded by somebody's loved one."

With each case, her job starts by gathering all of the information she can from the remains themselves.

She gets dental records and a DNA sample.

Then she tries to match them up to families with relatives who are missing, or even with convicted felons - anyone who has DNA on file.

“We are basically checking off those boxes of identification," she said.

She enters all of that information into a national database to see if they match missing person records from other states.

“There are a certain percentage of people in this room that aren't from Oregon," Vance said, surrounded by the remains of 150 people found dead in Oregon who have yet to be identitifed. "They traveled here. They moved here."

In the past 10 years, they've identified more than 60 people through those means.

For the rest, the science and evidence isn't enough.

No one's come forward, and there's been no DNA match.

So Vance is going beyond the bones and onto the internet.

The public is her only hope.

“We need investigative leads that will help solve these mysteries," she said.

She hopes to interest the public to help piece together where these people came from, how they got here - and the biggest question: who they are.

"To come together, work together, to solve these mysteries together," she said

Vance said she will not stop until every single person is identified.

“We will never give or discard anyone until they have a first and last name," she said. "That is the commitment that we've made to Oregonians and really the nation."

So for as many videos as it takes, they’ll stay in her care, waiting to be known.

If you have a missing loved one, Vance said the best thing you can do is report it to law enforcement, put it into the national NAMUS database, and get a DNA sample.

http://kval.com/news/local/i-want-t...eople-found-dead-in-oregon-still-unidentified

spike, Sunburst and Paradise like this.