1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN WITH AMNESIA: "Sam" found in Carlsbad, CA - 2015 *Ashley Manetta*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by ~Lyric~, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

Woman Battling Cancer and Amnesia Relies on Faith, Social Media to Retrace Past

[​IMG]ct
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steven Luke NBC 7 San Diego added 3 new photos.

Video Report with Article and she is breaking my heart!!

A woman with a thick Australian accent rescued from the streets of Carlsbad, California, and battling cancer has caught the attention of police and FBI agents after doctors confirmed she suffers from a rare case of amnesia.

“I just feel like there’s a thick fog over my mind, my memory, over my brain that I can’t see through,” Sam said. “I can’t remember anything. How I got here? I didn’t have anything on me, no jewelry, no purse, nothing.”

According to Carlsbad police, the case began February 1 when emergency responders found the woman barely conscious near the corner of Tamarack Avenue and Adams Street in the small beach resort community north of San Diego. The woman couldn’t tell emergency responders her name or any personal details. Doctors think the woman's amnesia was brought on by the antibodies of a malignant tumor. Sam has Stage 3 ovarian cancer.

For several months she has had vivid and recurring dreams. Doctors believe such dreams may offer amnesia patients valuable information to help retrace memories.

“I started dreaming of Australia. That was my first recollection of anything. I was in a lap pool. I’d have these incessant dreams. I’ve probably had six or seven dreams initially of lap swimming," she said.

The FBI has taken her finger prints and used facial recognition software in an effort to locate her family. A page has also been created for her on the international police information sharing website Interpol. Her case has also gained traction on social media. A Facebook page created by hospital friends has helped gain the attention of the Australian Consulate.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...th-Social-Media--310911741.html#ixzz3ea9MEocL
    Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook

Edited by Kimster to add media link: http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...ctim-in-california-may-be-from-australia.477/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    MULDER, MissyMoo, Lily and 3 others like this.
  2. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

Social media users rally to identify Aussie woman in US with amnesia

Little is known about the woman, who appears to speak in an Australian accent and recalls swimming at Perth's Cottlesloe Beach, Sydney's Bondi Beach, Cairns, Byron Bay and Hawaii.

"All of my initial dreams had to do with a lap pool swimming in a salt water pool in Perth, then Icebergs in New South Wales and in Cairns in Queensland and Byron Bay," Sam said in a post on the Facebook page.

The woman, aged about 50, with brown eyes, was in dire health when discovered in Carlsbad, near San Diego, and was taken to a hospital by fire department paramedics.

She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, which is thought to have caused her to have retrograde amnesia.

"She cannot recall her name or names of any family or friends," the Facebook page states.

The FBI and Australian authorities, along with Interpol, are working to identify the woman who was found in Carlsbad, near San Diego, on February 1, according to her supporters.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...-users-rally-identify-aussie-woman-us-amnesia

MULDER, MissyMoo, Lily and 2 others like this.
  3. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

[​IMG]

She has been listed as a missing person on Interpol and consular officials are assisting US authorities in identifying her.
    "The Australian Consulate-General in Los Angeles is assisting the US authorities in their efforts to identify a woman, apparently suffering from amnesia, who those authorities believe could be Australia," said a Foreign Affairs spokeswoman.

The woman, aged about 50, with brown eyes, was in dire health when discovered in Carlsbad, near San Diego, and was taken to a hospital by fire department paramedics.

She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, which is thought to have caused her to have retrograde amnesia.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/2860828...-to-identify-australian-mystery-woman/?cmp=fb

MULDER, MissyMoo, Lily and 1 other person like this.
  4. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

DENTITY UNKNOWN: Do you recognise this woman?

She has been found in the California USA (in February) and claims to not know who she is or where she is from.

She has an accent from Australia and has memories of being in Cairns, New South Wales, Byron Bay, Perth, Cottesloe Beach and Hawaii. Authorities believe she has links to Perth.

Description:
    - Caucasian
    - Believes to be in her 50s
    - Approximately 170 cm tall and 90 kg
    - Blonde hair
    - Brown eyes
    - Chipped front tooth
    - Right-handed
    - Near-sighted
    - Small pox scar on right arm

MULDER and MissyMoo like this.
  5. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

6. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

7. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

MULDER, MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  8. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

Latest info on this story! http://www.nbcsandiego.com/…/New-Hints-Speculation-Surround…
    Oh my... this could be the most bizarre story I've ever covered and the FBI says it's legit. www.nbcsandiego.com/…/Woman-Suffering-Amnesia-Relies-Faith-… This woman doesn't know her name, age, past... nothing. Firefighters found her in Carlsbad near death and took her to the hospital where she was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer & apparently the antibodies from the tumor led to rare amnesia. So far FBI and police haven't had much luck using www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2015-25715 to find relatives. A Facebook page www.facebook.com/FoundWomanwithAmnesia has Australian media going crazy cause that's where she is likely from. Tonight she did her 1st interview with me and said she is desperate to find herself (literally) before she dies. Please share to get her face out there and so we can find her family & friends!!!

**I wasn't sure where to place this, but wanted our Australian friends to be aware of this situation...**

Lily and SoSueMe like this.
  9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Administrative Manager Staff Member

[​IMG]

Picture from article above.

HauntingSoul, Lily and Zoidar like this.
  10. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

HauntingSoul and Lily like this.
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Certainly if she had been receiving treatment for cancer somewhere, someone should know who she is???

Wait, was she not diagnosed until after she was found?

http://www.inquisitr.com/2216614/wo...family-turns-to-social-media-do-you-know-sam/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/FoundWomanwithAmnesia

12. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Per the Facebook page, Libby Feller (from Lyric's post above) is NOT Sam.

13. Kimster

Wow! It sure does look like her though, doesn't it?

HauntingSoul and MissyMoo like this.
  14. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Video, where we can hear her accent.. It's a bit strange to my Melbournian ears.. sounds a LOT like some British friends of mine, after living here for a while, so I'm wondering if she's originally from the UK:

MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  15. Kimster

Oh isn't that interesting? But haven't I read somewhere that some amnesia victims take on accent even though they've never been to other parts of the world at all? Maybe the mixture of Australian and British accent is just a result of accents that she's heard in the past that she's creating through her amnesia state?

HauntingSoul, MULDER and MissyMoo like this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

17. Kimster

18. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Looks like you nailed it, there Kim - Ashley is American! But...

She spoke with an English/Australian accent and had vivid dreams about time spent in Perth.

"Apparently I have a long time of visiting Australia for extended trips. I’ve been going there throughout my life,” said Menatta. The family lost track of her in 2013, around the same time she showed up in Southern California and attended St. Patrick Catholic Church in Carlsbad.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...a-Mystery-Solved-311262611.html#ixzz3eh9SuyDT

So glad to see this update, SheWho..

It's really good to see kindness get some news time, isn't it?

19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I'm so glad that she has found her family to be with her during these times.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diego-Woman-Amnesia-Mystery-Solved-311262611.html

byo, MULDER, MissyMoo and 4 others like this.
  20. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

Thank you for the latest on Ashley, SheWho.

Lily, MULDER, MissyMoo and 3 others like this.