1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

#UPDATES - GOLDEN STATE KILLER: aka #EARONS arrested for homicides & rapes in CALIF - 70s-80s

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Kimster, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Authorities are announcing what they say will be a "significant" reward Wednesday as they renew their search for an elusive serial killer they say committed at least 12 homicides, 45 rapes and dozens of burglaries across California in the 1970s and 1980s.

The FBI and Sacramento County officials held a news conference in Sacramento this morning to announce more details of the latest attempt to solve the 40-year-old cold case.

The suspect terrorized citizens in multiple California counties and has been linked to more than 175 crimes between 1976 and 1986, the FBI said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-serial-killer-reward-20160615-snap-story.html

2. Kimster

3. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

This is the ORIGINAL NIGHT STALKER case here in California! I know this case well. Lots of info out there on it. I'll link some info. But I'll start with the reward they just issued today.

fran

Reward Offered in 40-Year-Old California Serial Killer Case

By DON THOMPSON, ASSOCIATED PRESS
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Jun 15, 2016, 4:19 PM ET

He was initially dubbed the East Area Rapist after beginning his crimes in Northern California. He later became known as the Original Night Stalker after a series of slayings in Southern California.

Now called the Golden State Killer, he has been linked through DNA and other evidence to at least 12 homicides, 45 rapes and dozens of burglaries across California in the 1970s and 1980s.

"This serial offender was probably one of the most prolific, certainly in California and possibly within the United States," Sacramento County Sheriff's Department Homicide Sgt. Paul Belli said at a news conference where authorities announced a $50,000 reward Wednesday for information leading to the arrest of the elusive serial killer.

Authorities decided to publicize the case in advance of June 18 — the 40th anniversary of his first known assault in Sacramento County.

read more .......... http://abcnews.go.com/International...d-california-serial-killer-cold-case-39876689

4. fran

Detectives Seek "Original Night Stalker"
    The same man is suspected in attacks ranging from Sacramento to Irvine

The man suspected in at least 50 rapes and 10 homicides throughout California whispered a message on a surviving victim's answering machine.

"I could kill you," he said after several heavy breaths. "I could kill you."

The prolific serial killer and rapist appears to have been dormant since 1986, but authorities still don't know his name or his face. Still, investigators are holding out hope that they will find him.

He has been dubbed "The Original Night Stalker" because his crimes predate those of the "Night Stalker," convicted serial killer Richard Ramirez, who died of cancer in June on Death Row.

Larry Pool, a retired investigator for the Orange County Sheriff's Department, tried to find the Original Night Stalker for 16 years before he retired.

"It sticks with you," he said. "It's a case where you don't want to breathe your last before we see the offender identified."

In the "Original Night Stalker" cases, authorities have the recording, handwriting samples, a footprint and a huge amount of DNA evidence that links at least 10 murders and 50 rapes to one man.

But they don't know who all of this belongs to.

read more ............. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Detectives-Seek-Original-Night-Stalker-225912121.html

5. fran

6. fran

7. fran

8. fran

Public’s Help Sought In Original Night Stalker Case After New Evidence Is Uncovered In Irvine

SANTA BARBARA (CBSLA.com) — The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s assistance with a 32-year-old homicide investigation after new details about the case were uncovered in Irvine.

The serial killer, known as the Original Night Stalker or Golden State Killer, terrorized communities from Orange to Sacramento counties in the 70s and 80s. Detectives now say he may have been linked to a construction site.

“They reviewed five reports and discovered that traces of paint were located at two of the rapes and one of the homicide scenes in Irvine,” Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s spokesperson Kelly Hoover said.

“Investigators started looking at the possible theory it would be consistent with the final stages of construction at the Longs Drug and the attached strip mall, which included paint in the building,” she said.

Investigators found that the strip mall section at 5801 Calle Real in Goleta and the drug store, located at 5875 Calle Real, initially had a building permit issued to a developer from Sacramento at the beginning of 1979.

read more ............. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...-case-after-new-evidence-uncovered-in-irvine/

9. fran

Killer linked to area: Investigator follows serial rapist's trail to Shasta County, Ray case
    Posted: Sept. 30, 2006

By Ryan Sabalow, Record Searchlight

Russ Whitmeyer is hunting a monster.

From 1976 to 1986, a man went on a rape and killing spree from Sacramento to Orange County, raping at least 50 women and killing at least 10 and maybe as many as 17 people.

The killer was never caught.

Whitmeyer, a 63-year-old private investigator from Southern California, believes he's found the killer's trail -- a trail he says leads to Shasta County.

And Whitmeyer believes a 30-year-old unsolved murder that recently was resurrected from the Redding Police Department's cold case files may be connected.

He says there's a remote possibility that Terri Lynn Ray, the 15-year-old Anderson High School student found stabbed to death in a creek near her mother's south Redding home in 1976, may have been one of the killer's first victims.

Police say advances in DNA technology could help them learn who killed Terri.

Hair evidence -- long thought to be useless -- found at the scene of Terri's death is to be examined at a California Department of Justice crime lab in Sacramento, police said.

Patterns of evil

Whitmeyer, a former Ventura County sheriff's detective, has spent the past six years of his retirement trying to find the serial killer now known by two monikers: the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker.

He says he gets no money from his investigation and his only motivation is to solve the crime.

"There are just so many victims and so many victims' families that have been affected by this serial rapist and murderer," Whitmeyer said. "Somebody should try to find him."

The serial killer is thought to have begun his criminal career as a rapist in Sacramento in 1976, earning himself the name East Area Rapist because many of his attacks occurred in the Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights and Orangevale areas east of Sacramento.

The man would later became known as the Original Night Stalker, because his crimes started before those of convicted serial murderer Richard Ramirez, known as the Night Stalker.

Ramirez was convicted in 1989 for killing 13 people in similar home invasion attacks in the Los Angeles area.

Ramirez is on death row awaiting execution. He's been cleared of crimes connected to the East Area Rapist, the FBI said.

The East Area Rapist attacked at least 50 women between June 1976 and July 1979 in a path from Sacramento to Contra Costa counties, according to press reports and an FBI alert issued to law enforcement in 2002.

Originally, he attacked single women, often after prying open sliding glass doors or windows of their homes with a screwdriver.

He haunted upper-middle-class neighborhoods, prowling at night looking for unlocked doors.

The FBI describes the man as most likely being white with fair to light olive complexion and dark hair. He stood between 5 feet 7 inches and 5 feet 11 inches tall. He would now be in his late 40s or early 50s. He wore a size 9 shoe.

The rapist frequently wore a ski mask and would often carry pre-cut lengths of shoelaces or twine. He would tie his victims up with an intricate sailor's knot, called a diamond knot, which is incredibly difficult to tie and points to a possible naval background, Whitmeyer said.

read more .............. http://www.redding.com/news/killer-...sta-county-ray-case-ep-3788602-356923351.html

10. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

11. Kimster

I remember this one too, but quite honestly, I thought they caught him!

12. Ladyslug

Ladyslug Bronze Member

I wonder if they could use age progression on the sketches to get a may look like this now

13. spike

spike Bronze Member

So did I Kimster!

14. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I think the killer died a long time ago.

15. spike

spike Bronze Member

Nonetheless, this needs to be solved.

16. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I remember the East Area Rapist case because it was close to home. I was in high school when the attacks in the Sacramento area happened. The EAR moved from the east area to the south area because of intense police and private citizen patrols using the then popular CB radios.

There's a creek behind my parents house in the south area of Sacramento. The EAR was known to use creeks to travel undetected. I remember police helicopters flying up and down the creek with their bright light shining on several nights. He was also known to climb on the roofs of homes to do surveillance.

I personally didn't see what happened one night but some friends of mine saw what had to be the EAR. A couple of my friends where hanging out late at night in front of one friends house down the street from where I lived. One friend saw someone on his next door neighbors roof. He was a dumb 17 year old kid so what did he do? He jumped on the neighbors roof chasing after this guy. The guy jumped off the roof into the homes backyard and then jumped the fence into the home directly behind. He yelled this information to the friend below.

The other friend that stayed on the ground jumped into his car (1967 Ranchero) drove around the corner and saw a guy taking off in a VW bug, So what did this also 17 year old do? He chased the guy. So he chases the VW at high speed for a only a couple of miles when a SACPD car lights him up and pulls him over.

My friend tells him what happened, the cop lets him go, telling him to go home. The VW was long gone by then. Years later I've read about the EAR using a VW.

I believe to this day that my friends had an encounter with the EAR.

17. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

The title of this thread needs to be changed in my opinion. Reward: Serial killer etc doesn't work. I will always think of EAR or east area rapist in reagards to this case. In later years I heard of the name "original night stalker" or ONS which some combine into EARS/ONS.

I'm not sure why LE came up with a new name after all of these years. Golden State Killer?

18. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

He is now probably between 60 and 75 years old.
    “We believe he’s alive. There’s no reason to believe he’s not alive,” said Sgt. Paul Belli of the Sacramento County sheriff’s homicide bureau.

I don't think that a sick crimminal like this would stop killing when he was only 30 to 45 years old. If he was put in prison in California his DNA would have shown up by now.

I guess he could have gone to another state or country and either continued killing and never got caught or he retired. I don't think that a person like him would ever retire from his evil ways.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-serial-killer-reward-20160615-snap-story.html

19. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

This website has a lot of information about the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker

http://www.ear-ons.com/

20. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

I agree The killings wouldn't have just suddenly stopped