1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

#UPDATES: Shooter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Broward County, Florida - 14 Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Kimster, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

What a nightmare... no words

MissyMoo, Sunburst, NOCLUE and 5 others like this.
  2. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

3. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Ex-student arrested in Florida high school shooting; 17 dead

By Danielle Haynes and James LaPorta | Updated Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:12 PM

PARKLAND, Fla., Feb. 14 (UPI) -- Law enforcement in South Florida arrested a 19-year-old former student in a high school shooting that left 17 people dead, local officials said Wednesday.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said 12 people died inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, two others just outside the building, one on a nearby road and two at the hospital.

"It's a horrific, horrific day," he told reporters during a 6:30 p.m. briefing.

Israel said the fatalities included adults and students, and that emergency officials transported 14 people to area hospitals "with varying degrees of wounds."

More at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...oting-Multiple-dead-1-arrested/3531518639268/

___________________________________________________________________________________

Ugh! The deceased were found in multiple locations, including on a nearby road. Did they flee after being shot, or did he chase them down? :(

MissyMoo, NOCLUE, fran and 2 others like this.
  4. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

The attacker used the fire alarm "so the kids would come pouring out of the classrooms into the hall," Sen. Bill Nelson said in an interview on CNN.

"And there the carnage began," said Nelson, who said he was briefed by the FBI.

The Florida Democrat said he did not know if the gunman used the smoke grenades, but he assumed that's why he had a gas mask on.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said the 19-year-old suspect, Nikolas Cruz, had been expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School for "disciplinary reasons."

"I don't know the specifics," the sheriff said.

However, Victoria Olvera, a 17-year-old junior, said Cruz was expelled last school year after a fight with his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. She said Cruz had been abusive to his girlfriend.
    [.....]
    Dakota Mutchler, a 17-year-old junior, said he used to be close friends with Cruz but hadn't seen him in more than a year following his expulsion from school.

"He started progressively getting a little more weird," Mutchler said.

Mutchler recalled Cruz posting on Instagram about killing animals and said he had talked about doing target practice in his backyard with a pellet gun.

"He started going after one of my friends, threatening her, and I cut him off from there," Mutchler said.
    [.....]
    However, a teacher told The Miami Herald that Cruz may have been identified as a potential threat to other students. Jim Gard, a math teacher who said Cruz had been in his class last year, said he believes the school had sent out an email warning teachers that Cruz shouldn't be allowed on campus with a backpack.

"There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus," Gard said.

<<snipped>> http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/02/florida_school_shooting_suspec.html <<snipped>>

MissyMoo, spike, NOCLUE and 2 others like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Videos and tweets are emerging from students in classrooms. I'm not going to post them here but they're easy to find.
    Students screaming as gunshots go off outside their classroom. Students visibly shaking with fear as SWAT enters the classroom to evacuate students. Students tweeting their experience. Students being comforted by other students who have survived previous school shootings.

I am a teacher. I feel very safe at my school. It's a great school. But at the same time, I know it can happen anywhere. Picturing my students going through that, being there with them, it's hard to even think about. My younger cousins went through a school shooting earlier this year. They're shaken again today, even from the other side of the country.

Everyone has their own ideas of what needs to be done to stop this or fix this or whatever. I'm not looking for a debate or argument. But something's gotta give.

Kimster, Uno2Much, MissyMoo and 7 others like this.
  6. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

Florida high school football coach who was seen shielding students from gunfire dies

A beloved football coach who witnesses said shielded students as a gunman opened fire inside a Parkland, Fla., high school Wednesday, is the first of 17 fatalities to be identified.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School football team’s Twitter account confirmed Aaron Feis’ death early Thursday morning.

“It is with Great sadness that our Football Family has learned about the death of Aaron Feis,” the tweet read. “He was our Assistant Football Coach and security guard. He selflessly shielded students from the shooter when he was shot. He died a hero and he will forever be in our hearts and memories”

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]MS Douglas Football@MSDEagles

It is with Great sadness that our Football Family has learned about the death of Aaron Feis. He was our Assistant Football Coach and security guard. He selflessly shielded students from the shooter when he was shot. He died a hero and he will forever be in our hearts and memories

12:34 AM - Feb 15, 2018 · Chuo-ku, Tokyo

Willis May, the high school’s head football coach, told the South Florida Sun Sentinel that Feis’ family was notified of his passing around midnight Wednesday. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel mentioned in an evening news conference that a football coach had died, but did not identify him.

Feis was seen jumping “in front of bullets to save some students' lives,” according to one person.

[​IMG]mike schmidt @mikeeschmidt

this is one of the genuinely greatest people to walk this earth. jumped infront of the bullets to save some students lives... unbelievable. Rest in Paradise, Coach Aaron Feis https://twitter.com/mattlincolntv/status/963960051273732096 …

6:32 PM - Feb 14, 2018

Feis, who also served as the school’s security guard, responded to a call on the school’s walkie-talkies to the loud pops in the school, May told the paper.

[​IMG]
    Feis graduated from the school in 1999, and in 2002 joined the junior varsity football team as
    head coach and is survived by his wife Melissa and his daughter, according to a bio posted
    to the school’s website. (Facebook)

read more .......... http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/1...een-shielding-students-from-gunfire-dies.html

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, MissyMoo and 4 others like this.
  7. spike

spike Bronze Member

IMO
    Profiling, actively following through.
    Everyone on the same page and no room for denial.
    These teachers and kids knew this would happen.
    Nobody listened or took action.

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Nana and 3 others like this.
  8. fran

NOCLUE, Nana, MissyMoo and 2 others like this.
  9. spike

spike Bronze Member

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Nana and 3 others like this.
  10. fran

Oh no spike!! I'm so sorry.

I've been in tears since I heard about it yesterday. Since the Vegas shooting I can hardly bear to even think of these things. My daughter was so traumatized since she lost her friend there, it's suddenly too real. :(

Bless your niece spike.
    I wish her and everyone in that entire community well.

:grouphug:

fran

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Nana and 5 others like this.
  11. Kimster

I'm so sorry. :vigil:

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Nana and 4 others like this.
  12. Kimster

I think there are a lot of things we can look at. We really need to find out why the rise in these killings. If we were to have a round table and I were coming to put in my input, I would be talking about visual violence on television, movies, and video games. Some people cannot handle it. Men are usually more visual than women. That's what I believe.

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Nana and 6 others like this.
  13. fran

Per news conference:

All victims id'd. Will release list of victims shortly.

OMG!They have had a number of copycat threats. They will be responded to with full force of the law.

Every student will be interviewed.

ETA: Oh, wow! The FBI youtube incident happened per FBI. I couldn't verify it so didn't want to post it. Let me get it and post.

State of Florida to pay funeral expenses and make sure people's hospital bills are covered. Providing counciling for all.

Go Fund Me is working with state of Florida to insure all Go Fund Me's are legit, ie they're verifying accounts and such by doing background checks.

NOCLUE, Imamazed, MissyMoo and 3 others like this.
  14. fran

The FBI Was Warned About A School Shooting Threat From A YouTube User Named Nikolas Cruz In September

In September, a YouTube user named Nikolas Cruz left a comment on a video stating, "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." The video's creator alerted both the FBI and YouTube.

Last fall, a Mississippi bail bondsman and frequent YouTube vlogger noticed an alarming comment left on one of his videos. "I'm going to be a professional school shooter," said a user named Nikolas Cruz.

The YouTuber, 36-year-old Ben Bennight, alerted the FBI, emailing a screenshot of the comment and calling the bureau's Mississippi field office. He also flagged the comment to YouTube, which removed it from the video.

Agents with the bureau's Mississippi field office got back to him "immediately," Bennight said, and conducted an in-person interview the following day, on Sept. 25.

"They came to my office the next morning and asked me if I knew anything about the person," Bennight told BuzzFeed News. "I didn't. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them."

FBI agents contacted Bennight again Wednesday, after a 19-year-old named Nikolas Cruz allegedly opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in South Florida, killing at least 17 people.

In the wake of the deadly shooting, questions have emerged over whether officials and acquaintances had missed warning signs about the alleged shooter, a former student who was expelled from the high school last year for disciplinary reasons.

Classmates, relatives, and neighbors have described Cruz as a troubled "loner" who often talked about guns and flaunted his obsession with weapons on his social media accounts. And Jim Gard, a math teacher at the school, told the Miami Herald that the teen had previously been identified as a potential threat to other students.

Though his name matches the YouTube user flagged in September, FBI officials would not say whether they have confirmed that the account belonged to Cruz.

But around 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday — about 30 minutes after Cruz was taken into custody by police in Broward County — Special Agent Ryan Furr with the FBI's Miami field office called Bennight and left him a voicemail.

"I think we spoke with you in the past about a complaint that you made about someone making a comment on your YouTube channel," the agent said in the message, which Bennight provided to BuzzFeed News. "I just wanted to follow up with you on that and ask you a question with something that's come up, if you wouldn't mind giving me a ring."

read more ........... https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasac...ng-threat-from?utm_term=.fmE1wl99b#.fiNE9okk6

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Imamazed and 4 others like this.
  15. Kimster

There is NO excuse for this lack of response. Why wasn't he treated like a terrorist?

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Nana and 6 others like this.
  16. spike

spike Bronze Member

Exactly.

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Nana and 5 others like this.
  17. fran

There's an unsung hero of Everett, Washington. That city owes ONE WOMAN a debt of gratitude.:confetti: And many don't even know it!!

Grandmother Stops Another School Shooting Day Before Florida Massacre

CBS Local — One day before 17 people were killed in a Florida school shooting, a grandmother helped to stop another massacre in Washington state.

According to police in Everett, Washington, the grandmother of Joshua Alexander O’Connor called 911 after finding disturbing journal entries that described how the 18-year-old was planning to attack his high school.

“Officers were also told the grandson had a rifle stored in a guitar case. As officers reviewed copies of the journal, they were alarmed at the statements and detailed plans to shoot students and use homemade explosive devices at ACES High School,” a statement from Everett police read.

“I need to make this count,” O’Connor reportedly wrote, according to the Daily Herald. “I’ve been reviewing many mass shootings/bombings (and attempted bombings) I’m learning from past shooters/bombers mistakes.”

Detectives, serving a search warrant on Feb. 13, reportedly found an AK-47 and inert grenades in the 18-year-old’s bedroom. O’Connor was booked into the Snohomish County Jail and has reportedly been charged with attempted first-degree murder, felony assault on an officer, and first-degree robbery.

“Our main thing right now is gratitude, especially to the grandmother,” Andy Muntz of the Mukilteo School District said. “That couldn’t have been easy for her to do. The Everett police also did a wonderful job. That combination may have saved a lot of lives.”

The grandmother’s act of heroism took place nearly 24 hours before 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz brought an AR-15 rifle into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, killing 17 and injuring more than a dozen on Feb. 14.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/15/grandmother-stops-school-shooting/

NOCLUE, Uno2Much, Imamazed and 6 others like this.
  18. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

@spike im so sorry and ill be thinking all the time of beautiful you, your niece and her mate :vigil:

Kimster, NOCLUE, Uno2Much and 3 others like this.
  19. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Thanks for writing that from a teachers heart perspective SWMNBN, it shows how selfless you are that you think of them before yourself.

20. spike

spike Bronze Member

Thank you, Sweetheart.
    Carmen Schentrup. Merit Scholar.
    My neice is in disbelief.

NOCLUE, fran, Paradise and 1 other person like this.