1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

#UPDATES: Shooter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Broward County, Florida - 14 Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Kimster, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/florida-shooting-victims-school/index.html
    [​IMG]
    Joaquin Oliver, 17
    Joaquin was born in Venezuela, moved to the United States when he was 3 and became a naturalized citizen in January 2017, the Sun-Sentinel reported.
    "Among friends at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, he was known as 'Guac,' a moniker that appeared on his Instagram account. His interests: football, basketball, the Venezuelan national soccer team, urban graffiti and hip-hop," the paper said.
    An Instagram post dated December 31 was his final social media post -- a message to his girlfriend, the paper said.
    "Thank you lord for putting a greater blessing than I could ever imagine into my life this past year," he said. "I love you with all my heart."

[​IMG]
    Alaina Petty, 14

Alaina's family said she was vibrant and determined. She had volunteered after Hurricane Irma hit Florida in September.
    "Alaina loved to serve," the statement from her family said.
    She was also a part of the "Helping Hands" program of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    "While we will not have the opportunity to watch her grow up and become the amazing woman we know she would become, we are keeping an eternal perspective," her family said.
    Alaina, 14, was also a member of the junior ROTC at her school, a leadership program taught by retired Army personnel.

2. Imamazed

[​IMG]
    Meadow Pollack, 18

Meadow, 18, had been accepted at Lynn University in Boca Raton, spokeswoman Jamie D'Aria said.
    "Meadow was a lovely young woman, who was full of energy. We were very much looking forward to having her join our community in the fall," D'Aria said.
    Condolences were posted on an online guestbook kept by Star of David Memorial Gardens Cemetery and Funeral Chapel.
    "Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your beautiful daughter, Meadow. May she rest in peace. Your family is in my continued prayers," said Alisa Thomas of Youngstown, Ohio.
    Friend GII Lovito said on Facebook: "Please say a prayer for the family of an amazing girl I got to call my best friend growing up Meadow Pollack ... her life was taken way too soon and I have no words to describe how this feels. Rest In Peace my beautiful angel.
    "You are and forever will be loved."

[​IMG]
    Helena Ramsay, 17

"My family lost an absolutely beautiful member today, due to a senseless school shooting," Curtis Page Jr. said in a Facebook post about Helena, who would have started college next year.
    "Helena was a smart, kind hearted, and thoughtful person. She was deeply loved and loved others even more so. Though she was some what reserved, she had a relentless motivation towards her academic studies, and her soft warm demeanor brought the best out in all who knew her. She was so brilliant and witty, and I'm still wrestling with the idea that she is actually gone."

3. Imamazed

[​IMG]
    Alex Schachter, 14
    Alex participated in the school marching band and orchestra, playing baritone in the former and trombone in the latter, the Sun-Sentinel reported.
    "I felt he really had a bright future on the trombone," Alexander Kaminsky, director of bands at the Parkland high school, told the paper.

[​IMG]
    Carmen Schentrup, 16
    Carmen was a National Merit Scholar semifinalist.
    "Marjory Stoneman Douglas had 10 students qualify as semifinalists for 2018, which is the second year in a row 10 students have qualified," the Eagle Eye student blog said.
    Carmen was mourned in the community and on social media.
    "Rest In Peace Carmen Schentrup," one tweet said. "You family is forever in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry."

4. Imamazed

[​IMG]
    Peter Wang, 15
    Peter had been a member of the ROTC program, and his parents owned a restaurant in West Palm Beach, the Sun-Sentinel reported.
    Kelsey Friend, who shared a culinary class with Peter, said she "started screaming and crying" when she found about her friend's death by looking at images on Google of those who had died.
    "I am wearing my culinary shirt right now, to remember him," she told Alisyn Camerota on CNN's "New Day" on Friday.
    Kelsey said Peter had been excited about the Chinese New Year, which fell on Friday.
    "Me and my family celebrated it for him, eating Chinese," she said.
    Kelsey said the two of them were close.
    "It's hard to not have him in the hallways anymore because me and him used to laugh with each other. He used to make me smile. And now he's gone."

5. Imamazed

:tears::vigil::tears:
    Heartbreaking... Just heartbreaking...

Ladyslug, Uno2Much, Paradise and 2 others like this.
  6. spike

spike Bronze Member

Carmen Schentrup was my niece's friend.
    :vigil:...For all of these innocents.

Nana, Ladyslug, Uno2Much and 4 others like this.
  7. Imamazed

:tears: I am so sorry Spike. :tears:

Nana, Ladyslug, Uno2Much and 3 others like this.
  8. spike

spike Bronze Member

Prayers for these families, these traumatized students, teachers, LE.

:voodoo: The FBI

Nana, Ladyslug, Uno2Much and 3 others like this.
  9. NOCLUE

NOCLUE Bronze Member

such a tragedy, Spikey!

:tears:

:candle:

Nana, Ladyslug, Uno2Much and 2 others like this.
  10. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Thanks @Imamazed for the tribute to these victims. :tears:

Nana, NOCLUE, Ladyslug and 2 others like this.
  11. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

My condolences.

Sincerely,
    fran

Nana, NOCLUE, Kimster and 4 others like this.
  12. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Sending hugs to your niece.

Nana, NOCLUE, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  13. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Man who warned FBI of Florida shooter speaks out (transcripts)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The FBI also conducted internal data reviews and open source checks. No additional information was found to positively identify the person who posted this comment. There was no connection found to South Florida.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MACCALLUM: But the YouTube user who flagged that comment for the FBI, Ben Benite, joins me now. Ben, good to see you this evening. So, take us back to when you saw that posting on YouTube; what went through your mind and what did you?

BEN BENITE, YOUTUBE USER: Well, initially, it came across my post notifications and it caught my attention, so I thought somebody needed to see it. So, I screenshot it and forwarded it to the FBI. And it was disturbing that somebody would write something like that, but I never would've thought that they meant it.

MACCALLUM: So, the FBI approached you and tell me about that interaction, what did they do about this post?

BENITE: Well, they met me at my office, very nice morning. There were very responsive. They came out, very polite, professional. They got the information. They got a copy of the screenshot, wrote down, you know, the information, questions they ask me, they asked if I knew the guy, I didn't know him; I don't have any interaction with him in the past, and I imagine they initiated their investigation from there.

MACCALLUM: That was back in September, right?

BENITE: Correct.

MACCALLUM: All right. So, yesterday afternoon, you're hearing the news like everyone else, at what point do you realize this might be the same person?

BENITE: You know, I didn't connect it until the FBI called me and asked to meet with me yesterday, and even then, I still didn't have any idea. When I met with the FBI agents, they told me that, you know, it was the same name as the comment on my channel.
    [........]
    (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We kept on getting phone calls: are you ready to receive more patients? Are you ready to take this one? Are you ready to take that one? And always, the answer was always yes.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

HENRY: They also credit the EMT personnel who jumped on the scene into the fray immediately. They say, they helped stop the bleeding of so many people who had been hit multiple times and would have died, but for those EMT personnel who got to them before they even made it to this medical center. We should say this is one of two within the Broward health system that sprang into action all night through the night as I mentioned. And the good news, a tiny glimmer of hope, perhaps, amid all this tragedy tonight, Martha, is the fact that there are now between these two hospitals, only a handful of patients still in their care and only one of them is in critical condition. Really, a miracle when you consider all of the people who were dealing with so much trauma just 24 hours ago.

MACCALLUM: Incredible work on their part at these hospitals. They're built for it and they really proved how much they could do, and we hope that person in critical condition continues to improve. Ed, thank you so much.

Much more at link: http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2018/02/15/man-who-warned-fbi-florida-shooter-speaks-out.html

spike, NOCLUE, fran and 2 others like this.
  14. fran

Lawmakers agree to destroy site of school carnage: ‘This building has to come down’

Students will never be returning to Building 12 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School again.

Florida legislators said Thursday they will provide the resources to help the Broward School District tear down Building 12, the site of the massacre that killed 17 students and teachers. They want to build a new classroom space and replace the site of the murders with a memorial to honor the victims and their families.

“This building has to come down,” Sen. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton, told the Miami Herald on Friday after visiting the school the day before. He said the horror was palpable.

“Everything was strewn across the halls from people running and dodging and there were significant blood splatters on the wall,” he recalled. “Like someone took a milk jug and exploded it.”

“These kids are not going to go back into that building ever again,” said Sen. Lauren Book, D-Plantation, who was with Galvano. She had encouraged Galvano and Sen. Wilton Simpson, R-Trilby, to travel from Tallahassee and visit the high school Thursday before attending an evening vigil for victims.

“We need to take a serious look at tearing down that building and build a facility that these kids could return to and be proud of,” Simpson said Friday. Early estimates indicate the cost of a replacement building is between $25 million and $30 million, he said.

“It will still be very difficult for students to return,” Galvano said. “But that particular building should be razed, and the memory of the perpetrator erased and a memorial honoring the victims and their families be put in its place.”

read more ........... http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200564969.html

spike, NOCLUE, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  15. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

https://nypost.com/2018/02/17/school-shooters-brother-committed-to-mental-facility/
    School shooter’s brother committed to mental facility
    By Dean Balsamini

February 17, 2018 | 11:26am

The younger brother of deranged school shooter Nikolas Cruz was committed to a mental health facility, according to reports.

Authorities removed someone Friday from the home of Rocxanne Deschamps, a longtime family friend of the Cruz brothers who took them in after their adoptive mother died of pneumonia in November, The Palm Beach Post reported.

A friend of Deschamps confirmed Zachary Cruz, who turns 18 next week, was the person removed from the home.

The younger Cruz brother was involuntarily committed under Florida’s Baker Act, under which he can be held involuntarily for up to 12 hours for an involuntary psychiatric exam. It’s unclear if he’s been released.

Nikolas Cruz left Deschamps’ Lantana, FL mobile home around Thanksgiving after he and Deschamps squared off over a gun.

He bought a gun and wanted to bring it into my house,” she said in comments that have since been wiped from her Facebook page, the paper reported.

Chad Bennett, a family friend, said Deschamps gave Cruz an ultimatum and Cruz “chose the gun and he left.” He moved in with family in northern Broward county, a Cruz family lawyer told the newspaper.

The Palm Beach Post said it was not known if the gun Cruz brought to the Deschamps home was the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle Cruz used to kill 17 people in Wednesday’s mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL.

spike, NOCLUE, Uno2Much and 1 other person like this.
  16. fran

The Florida School Shooting Suspect Snapped Into A Jealous Rage When Another Student Began Dating His Ex-Girlfriend

Former friends and classmates of suspected Florida high school shooter Nikolas Cruz said they received threats from him shortly after a breakup.

PARKLAND, Florida — Three students who knew the suspected high school shooter told BuzzFeed News they reported him to school administrators for erratic behavior and threatening them after an ex-girlfriend broke up with him and began seeing another teenager.

Nikolas Cruz, who has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, was expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in 2017 for what the local sheriff called “disciplinary reasons.” Some reports say he was kicked out for carrying a knife to school. Other reports say he was expelled after he got into a fight with the new boyfriend of an ex.

The students who spoke to BuzzFeed News — Dana Craig, 16; her boyfriend, Matthew Rosario, 16; and Enea Sabadini, 17 — said that such a fight happened, and that it was the culmination of a jealous and angry period for Cruz because Enea began dating Cruz’s ex-girlfriend. Three other friends who asked BuzzFeed News not to use their names, for privacy reasons, confirmed their accounts.

"Im going to watch ypu bleed," read an Instagram message sent under Cruz's name to Enea in 2017, when students said Cruz was no longer at the school. "iam going to shoot you dead." Another message said Enea "stole my ex.

............. snip .....................

Video footage provided to BuzzFeed News shows part of the fight between Cruz and Enea. Cruz is in the white, on left. Right: Enea later being held on the ground.

The FBI said it received and botched tips about Cruz’s threats of school violence. The Broward County Sheriff said his office received about 20 calls regarding Cruz over the years, and Cruz’s social media history shows an obsession with weapons and violence.

What bothered Enea was President Trump’s admonishment of the victims right after the attack. “Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!” Trump tweeted.

“Personally, I don’t think he should say that. [Trump] doesn’t know the whole story,” Enea told BuzzFeed News. “We tried.”

The Broward County School District and Cruz’s public defender, Gordon Weekes, didn’t respond to requests for comment. “He’s sad. He’s mournful. He’s remorseful,” Melissa McNeill, another public attorney for Cruz, said earlier in the week about the shooting. She added, "the child is deeply troubled and he has endured significant trauma that stems from the loss of his mother.” Cruz told police he was the shooter.

read more at link ............. https://www.buzzfeed.com/remysmidt/cruz?utm_term=.savylZLLA#.nmQnJoDD1

spike, NOCLUE, Uno2Much and 2 others like this.
  17. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

So his mom was one of the fatalities from this horrible flu going around?

spike, fran, NOCLUE and 2 others like this.
  18. Imamazed

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/17/us/nikolas-cruz-florida-shooting.html

Florida Agency Investigated Nikolas Cruz After Violent Social Media Posts

A Florida social services agency conducted an in-home investigation of Nikolas Cruz after he exhibited troubling behavior nearly a year and a half before he shot and killed 17 people at his former high school in Florida, a state report shows.

The agency, the Florida Department of Children and Families, had been alerted to posts on Snapchat of Mr. Cruz cutting his arms and expressing interest in buying a gun, according to the report. But after visiting and questioning Mr. Cruz at his home, the department determined he was at low risk of harming himself or others.

The report is the latest indication that Mr. Cruz was repeatedly identified by local and federal agencies as a troubled young man with violent tendencies. The F.B.I. admitted on Friday that it had failed to investigate a tip called into a hotline last month by a person close to Mr. Cruz identifying him as a gun owner intent on killing people, possibly at a school. The local police were called to Mr. Cruz’s house many times for disturbances over several years.

Mr. Cruz also worried officials at his former school, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Fla., who on at least one occasion alerted a mobile crisis unit to get him emergency counseling, according to the state report.

Broward County Public Schools disciplinary records obtained on Saturday by The New York Times show Mr. Cruz had a long history of fights with teachers, and was frequently accused of using profane language with school staff. He was referred for a “threat assessment” in January 2017, the last entry in his record, two months after the Department of Children and Families closed its separate investigation into Mr. Cruz’s worrisome behavior.

spike, NOCLUE, Uno2Much and 1 other person like this.
  19. Imamazed

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...amily-helped-nikolas-cruz-20180217-story.html

Nikolas Cruz: 'We had this monster living under our roof and we didn’t know.'

Nikolas Cruz was immature, quirky and depressed when James and Kimberly Snead took him into their Parkland home. But he was pleasant and seemed to be growing happier, they said.

How the 19-year-old turned into a killer still baffles them.

“We had this monster living under our roof and we didn’t know,” Kimberly Snead told the South Florida Sun Sentinel in an exclusive interview Saturday. “We didn’t see this side of him.”

“Everything everybody seems to know, we didn’t know,” James Snead said. “It’s as simple as that.”

Cruz still lived with the Sneads on Wednesday when he walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School with an AR-15 rifle and killed 17 people — the worst school shooting since Sandy Hook.

The Sneads’ son had asked whether his friend could move into their home last Thanksgiving. Cruz’s mother, who had adopted him, died of pneumonia Nov. 1, leaving him without parents. He stayed briefly with a family friend in the Lantana area but wanted to move on.

The Sneads quickly agreed — though they realized he was extremely depressed about his mother’s death.

Five days before the shooting, Kimberly Snead took Cruz to the office of a therapist she has been seeing to deal with her grief over her dad’s death. Cruz said he was open to therapy but didn’t like medication. He took a business card and was figuring out what his health insurance would cover.

James, 48, is a decorated army veteran and a military intelligence analyst who served stints in the Middle East between 1988 and 1996. Kimberly, 49, is a neonatal intensive care nurse who cares for premature and ill babies.

They told Cruz there would be strict rules in their home.

“I told him there’d be rules and he followed every rule to the T,” James said.

spike, NOCLUE, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  20. NOCLUE

NOCLUE Bronze Member

I am sorry for this question...

but... Did the shooter kill his "ex" and her "new boyfriend?
    (The ones he was so jealous about?)

I am SO glad he didn't kill the family that took him in in November! :thud: