1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

AR VERNA HOLLINGSWORTH: Missing from Fort Smith, AR - 12 July 1985 - Age 43

Discussion in 'Missing 1980 to 1989' started by Akoya, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017
    spike likes this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9729/69/

NamUs MP # 9729
    Verna Hollingsworth
    [​IMG]
    Sebastian County, Arkansas
    43 year old white female

Case Report - NamUs MP # 9729

Case Information
    Status Missing
    First name Verna
    Middle name Sue
    Last name Hollingsworth
    Nickname/Alias
    Date last seen July 10, 1985 00:00
    Date entered 03/16/2011
    Age last seen 43 to 43 years old
    Age now 75 years old
    Race White
    Ethnicity
    Sex Female
    Height (inches) 62.0
    Weight (pounds) 110.0

Circumstances
    City Fort Smith
    State Arkansas
    Zip code 72901
    County Sebastian
    Circumstances
    On 07/12/85 the daughter of Verna Hollingsworth came to her mother's residence and found it unlocked and the air conditioning running. Verna's vehicle was in the driveway, but she was no where to be found.

Physical
    Hair color Brown
    Left eye color Hazel
    Right eye color Hazel
    Eye description

No known distinctive body features

Clothing
    Blue jeans

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Sgt.
    First name James
    Last name Davis
    Phone (479)785-4221
    Website
    Case number 89-36234
    Date reported
    Jurisdiction Local
    Agency Fort Smith Police Department
    Address 1 100 south 10th Street
    Address 2
    City Fort Smith
    State Arkansas
    Zip code 72901

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2174dfar.html

The Doe Network:
    Case File 2174DFAR

[​IMG]

Verna Sue Hollingsworth
    Missing since July 14, 1985 from Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
      • Age at Time of Disappearance: 43 years old
      • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 110 lbs.
      • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
      • Clothing: Blue jeans.
      • DNA: Available
    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Verna Hollingsworth was reported missing by her daughter on July 14th, 1985.

She had come to her mother's residence and noticed that her vehicle was there. She unlocked the door and could not find her mother inside. The air conditioner was running.
    The daughter indicated that it was unlike her to leave the air conditioner running and not putting a padlock on the door when she left.

Several people were contacted but nobody knew where she was at.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Fort Smith Police Department
    479-709-5116
    Email

Agency Case Number: 89-36234
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    NamUs

spike likes this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.swtimes.com/news/special...woman-s-disappearance-leaves-family-perplexed

Fort Smith Woman’s Disappearance Leaves Family Perplexed

Posted Jun 4, 2014 at 4:13 AM
    Editor’s Note: The Times Record today continues a weeklong series of reports looking at unsolved missing persons cases at the Fort Smith Police Department. Thursday: Mother believes missing daughter was killed.

Editor’s Note: The Times Record today continues a weeklong series of reports looking at unsolved missing persons cases at the Fort Smith Police Department. Thursday: Mother believes missing daughter was killed.

In the years since the disappearance of 43-year-old Verna Sue Hollingsworth, Fort Smith police have searched far and wide for leads but found nothing that led to anything definitive.

It’s left Hollingsworth’s loved ones to wonder where she went.

“It just went from there, from her disappearing like that,” said her mother, Pauline Hollingsworth, now 89. “We just never could find out much of anything about it.”

On July 14, 1985, Verna Hollingsworth was reported missing by her daughter, Brenda Rastegar. Before being reported missing, Hollingsworth had visited her daughter in Texas, then returned home. When Rastegar then came to Fort Smith to visit her mother, something was not right at the home, said detective Troy Williams, who has been assigned the case.

“Usually there’s always somebody who could say, ‘Yeah, I saw her at this time at this place,’” Williams said. “I guess with her traveling, she traveled to Texas to see her daughter, and I guess that kind of put her out of touch with her close friends. So I don’t know if it was one of those deals where they hadn’t seen her in a while and weren’t really active in trying to get ahold of her.”

Rastegar found her mother’s vehicle in the driveway, but when she unlocked the door to the home, Hollingsworth was not there. The air conditioning was running and there was no padlock on the door, which was unusual.

There was also no sign of a struggle in the home, and most of Hollingsworth’s belongings were there, Williams said.

“We have no idea why she’s missing,” Williams said. “With most (cold cases), you’ve got to assume that it was malicious in nature.”

Fort Smith police at the time conducted a number of interviews, but nothing led them to Hollingsworth.

“The detectives working it pushed those leads as far as they could,” Williams said.

In 1997, detectives traveled to Illinois to question Rastegar about her mother’s disappearance but did not find anything conclusive. In 2010, Hollingsworth’s mother, Pauline, and her son, Terry Efurd, provided DNA samples for record-keeping.

Efurd said he never really knew his mother. When he was 11, he met her briefly but didn’t know anything about her disappearance until he was about 14 years old and saw a newspaper report describing the case.

“I didn’t really know what to think about that. I guess it’s always been in the back of my mind that I’d like meet her someday,” he said, adding the time when he was 11 never felt like a substantial meeting because he didn’t know who she was.

After Efurd, who is now 44 and lives near Mansfield, began researching the case, he realized that the police had never obtained a DNA sample from relatives. Efurd offered to give a sample in the hope that someday it would bring closure to the almost 30-year-old case.

“I thought, investigators come and go, but we’ve lived in the modern times for quite awhile now. Why don’t we have a DNA sample?” he said.

Pauline Hollingsworth said she’s had suspicions that have continued to plague her.

“I guess (the police) looked, and checked a lot — and maybe so, but I never felt like they did as much as they should,” she said. “They just kept saying ‘without a body we can’t do anything.’ ... It just seemed like that was about all the answer we would ever get from them, so the body was what I was wanting them to find.”

Despite the years that have passed, Pauline Hollingsworth said her daughter’s disappearance hasn’t gotten any easier to deal with, and likely never will.

“It gives me a terrible feeling, I can’t recall without crying. It’s just a terrible thing; I can think of so much that could’ve happened, or what did happen, and just wondering,” she said. “You just go on wondering, and thinking, and you think of everything. If I just knew, if I just had some idea at all.”

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Verna Sue Hollingsworth can call the Fort Smith Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division at (479) 709-5116, or email missingpersons@fortsmithpd.org.

spike likes this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.insidefortsmith.com/hollingsworths-1985-disappearance-still-a-mystery/

Hollingsworth’s 1985 disappearance still a mystery

By
    Staff Reports
    March 7, 2017

[​IMG]

In 2016, a project entitled “All the Lost Girls” launched in a quest to find justice for the women and girls who are missing or who have been found murdered in Arkansas.

Each week, we will highlight a new case that remains unsolved.

On July 14, 1985, Fort Smith resident, Verna Sue Hollingsworth was reported missing by her daughter, Brenda Rastegar. In the weeks before her disappearance, Hollingsworth traveled to visit her daughter in Texas and had recently returned to Fort Smith.

Soon after, Rastegar then drove to Fort Smith to visit her mother. When she arrived, she realized immediately that something was not right at the home.

In fact, when Rastegar she found her mother’s vehicle in the driveway, but her mother was not there. Adding to the mystery, Ratsegar found that the air conditioning was running, which was unusual.

According to reports, Hollingsworth always turned off her air conditioning before she left her home.

The mysterious circumstances do not stop there.

There were no signs of a struggle in the home and no witnesses that can state when they last saw Verna Sue Hollingsworth.

Hollingsworth has not been heard from since July 10, 1985 and has quite literally vanished without out a trace.

According to reports, the Fort Smith Police Department has conducted a number of interviews, but there have been no leads to help them discover the whereabouts of Hollingsworth.

At the time of her disappearance, Hollingsworth is reported as being 5-foot-2, 110 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

If you have more information about the disappearance of Verna Sue Hollingsworth, please contact the Fort Smith Police Department at 479-785-4221.

To submit a case to the All the Lost Girls project, visit us at us at https://www.facebook.com/allthelostgirls or contact us via email at letsbringthemhome@gmail.com.

spike likes this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

spike likes this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.nampn.org/cases/hollingsworth_verna.html

North American Missing Persons Network
    Verna Sue Hollingsworth

[​IMG]
    Above Images: Hollingsworth

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

• Missing Since: July 10, 1985 from Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas
    • Classification: Missing
    • Height: 5'2"
    • Weight: 110 lbs.
    • Hair Color: Brown
    • Eye Color: Hazel
    • Race: White
    • Clothing: Blue jeans.
    • Case Number: 89-36234

Details of Disappearance
    On 07/12/85 the daughter of Verna Hollingsworth came to her mother's residence and found it unlocked and the air conditioning running. Verna's vehicle was in the driveway, but she was no where to be found.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    (479)785-4221

Source Information
    Namus

spike likes this.
  8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

spike likes this.
  9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

upload_2017-7-18_18-17-3.jpeg

upload_2017-7-18_18-17-28.jpeg

[​IMG]

upload_2017-7-18_18-19-23.jpeg

spike likes this.
  12. Cricket

Cricket New Member

Looks similar, found in next state over from her

Attached Files:

Kimster likes this.
  13. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

She sure does! Does it mention on the name is profile how long they think she was deceased?

Also, :welcome:. Glad to meet you!

14. Cricket

Cricket New Member

Thanks glad to meet you!

Attached Files:

Kimster likes this.
  15. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Well, that date range looks correct! As long as Verna isn't on the rule out list, I think it might be a good idea to submit her!

spike likes this.