1. Jayme Closs has been FOUND ALIVE!
    The man accused of killing her parents and kidnapping Jayme is in custody!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

FL VOLUSIA COUNTY JOHN DOE: WM, 11-14, found in pond near Indian Lake Road, FL - 7 May 1972

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Mar 3, 2017.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

An unidentified male was found deceased on May 7, 1972 in Volusia County, Florida. He was found floating in a pond near Indian Lake Road. He had been deceased for 3-4 days before being found.

The boy is Caucasian, 11-14 years old. He stood approximately 5’2” tall and had dark brown wavy hair. No dental fillings were observed in his teeth. He had a benign bone tumor in his right leg that is common in male children and asymptomatic. He also had a congenital condition where bones in his feet fused together but also would have been asymptotic.

The boy was found wearing a blue denim jacket, a red and white short-sleeved striped shirt, grey tweed pants, brown dress socks, and one black loafer dress shoe with a silver buckle on the side (size 8 ½). A black leather wallet was also found in the left rear pocket of his pants.

NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMU/1224409/1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited by staff to add media

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...ond-near-indian-lake-road-fl-7-may-1972.2054/

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Whatsnext, Kimster and spike like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Located .7 miles east of Indian Lake Road and 2.9 miles north of US 92.

Estimated age Adult - Pre 20
    Minimum age 11 years
    Maximum age 14 years
    Race White
    Sex Male
    Weight (pounds) 120, Measured
    Height (inches) 62, Estimated

NAMUS - https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13620

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Whatsnext and spike like this.
  3. spike

spike Bronze Member

As I recall...there was a pair of serial killers who drove along I-75 and I-95...
    through the orange groves during that era.
    I was in college at the time and was terrified to drive home to Miami on weekends.
    This sounds like this child might have been a victim of those killers.
    Or possibly an expendable child of migrant workers at that time.

Kimster likes this.
  4. Bobby88

Bobby88 Member

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2128umfl.html

I’ve lived in Daytona for the past 13 years and I only recently found out about this case. I’m somewhat familiar with the part of town where he was discovered.

Originally, this John Doe was listed as being between 11 and 21 (a huge age difference). But a 2013 exhumation revealed that he was most likely 11 to 14, which sounds far more reasonable.

They mention that his pubic area was shaved, which sounds really unusual both for the era and his age. Could it have been something related to sexual abuse or was he perhaps a competitive swimmer or something? His being shaved may have nothing at all to do with his murder, but according to a newspaper article from when the boy was found, he was nude from the waist down with the pants hanging off of one leg. Kinda ominous. And stabbings as I understand are considered extremely personal.

The same article also mentions that a green Schwinn bicycle was found near the body. This bike was reported stolen from a home in nearby New Smyrna on May 3. This is the same day that John Doe is believed to have been killed. That’s a really odd coincidence and I wonder if there could be a connection between the bike’s owners or someone else in that person’s neighborhood. Perhaps the boy stole it to escape from someone who ended up finding him and killing him, but the question remains about who that someone would be.

Is it possible that someone from the boy’s own family did this and other relatives were told to keep their mouth shut?

5. Bobby88

Bobby88 Member

Also, this John Doe’s teeth are described as being almost perfect. This suggests that he either hit the genetic lottery or more likely, that he had been well cared for prior to his murder. He probably had a family and wasn’t a street kid.

It does seem strange, however, that if he had a family why a kid matching his description doesn’t appear to have been reported missing. Even with the tendency back then for police to automatically write missing teens off as runaways, there’s almost always some record. Unless the family is somehow involved as I suggested before.

I think one of major clues in the case is the bike which was reported stolen the day John Doe is believed to have been killed. I’m sure it’s lost to time, but I think it would be really important to know who the bike owner was and the circumstances of the theft. Was it taken from a public place, I.e; the owner parked his bike in front of a corner store to get a soda or something and came out to find it gone? Or was it stolen from a private residence while no one was using it? If it was the latter, that may suggest a link between the boy and that area of New Smyrna.

6. Kimster

Kimster Administrator Staff Member

I have a son whose teeth have been perfect his whole life, until his wisdom teeth came in.

I'm afraid this young man was being sexually exploited in some way. I hope it wasn't by his own kin. :(

7. Mel70

Mel70 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I have Perfectly lined Teeth, and never had even a retainer, But that is Rare I think. As a Kid, The Dentist told My Parents I would need Braces. However I think it just may fit here, With the way He was Dressed (Dress Pants and Dress Shoes).