1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Weird case of Rita M. Maze

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Cousin Dupree, Sep 9, 2016.

1. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

13th September 2016

Questions remain in Rita Maze death investigation

VIDEO at Link
    http://www.kulr8.com/clip/12725847/questions-remain-in-rita-maze-death-investigation

The reporter in the video said that the Family of Rita Maze and the FBI dont believe that the man in the previous videos had anything to do with the case as the timelines dont match.

The family are adamant that Rita did not take her own life.

screenshots from Video - LOVES Service Centre:

Rita - car route 4.JPG

GarAndMo49, spike, byo and 2 others like this.
  2. NOCLUE

NOCLUE Bronze Member

So puzzling...

and so sad...:(

GarAndMo49, spike, MULDER and 2 others like this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Manner of death in Rita Maze case still not clear

Authorities know what caused Rita Maze’s death: a single gunshot from a 9 mm pistol. Who pulled the trigger is still being investigated.

The FBI is waiting on lab results from evidence testing being completed by the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office, “which can take awhile,” before releasing additional information, Barker said.

The manner of Maze’s death, or circumstances, still is pending, said Taylor Biggles with the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Last Thursday, the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the cause of death of the 47-year-old Maze was a single gunshot wound to the chest and abdomen.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...er-death-rita-maze-case-still-clear/90502436/

GarAndMo49, Ladyslug, MULDER and 2 others like this.
  4. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

I suppose they would be able to check for gunshot powder on her hands - I know there's a name for it - cant think of it... :gaah:

5. Ladyslug

Ladyslug Bronze Member

gunshot residue

This is a strange one cos i would have thought they should be able to confirm that she shot the gun or not
    and check the bullets path to determine if she could have shot herself

6. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Thanks Ladyslug - thats it.
    I would have thought that too - and even if her hands had been forced to shoot herself - especially in the tight space of the boot - how dark would it be in there.
    If she had the gun - wouldnt she try to shoot the lock out (even though it was possible to open the boot from the inside). Or shoot a tyre - or not shoot anything at all.
    She said the man had her handbag and in the handbag was her gun/s.
    Who shoots them self in the stomach area to kill themselves though?

7. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

16th September 2016

Manner of death in Rita Maze case still not clear
    http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...er-death-rita-maze-case-still-clear/90502436/

Authorities know what caused Rita Maze’s death: a single gunshot from a 9 mm pistol. Who pulled the trigger is still being investigated.
    “We haven’t come out with a manner of death or more details on the circumstances, so we’re just trying to get everything in a row,” said Sandra Barker, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Salt Lake City.
    ------
    The FBI is waiting on lab results from evidence testing being completed by the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office, “which can take awhile,” before releasing additional information, Barker said.
    ------
    The area was searched but nobody else was found. Blood was found on the ground near the vehicle.
    A 9 mm pistol was in the trunk and two shell casings were found by Maze’s left and right arms. Two semi-automatic 9 mm pistol magazines also were found in Maze’s purse, which was on the floor of the passenger side seat.
    Family members said she was traveling with a gun.

So was she shot by her own gun?
    Has that been confirmed?

8. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

Investigation continues into the death of Rita Maze of Great Fall

http://www.kxlf.com/story/33217727/...es-into-the-death-of-rita-maze-of-great-falls

Sep 27, 2016 6:28 AM

GREAT FALLS -
    There has been no new information released within the last two weeks into the investigation of the death of Rita Maze of Great Falls.
    -----
    Here is the full text of the press release from the FBI on Monday, September 12:

The FBI Salt Lake City Field Office, along with local law enforcement partners, continues to
    investigate the death of Rita Maze.
    At this time, we do not believe there is a threat to public safety.
    As this is an active investigation, no other information will be released at this time.

We will update you as soon as new information is available.

A very sad situation for the Maze family to keep going through.
    I hope they have some answers soon on what happened to Rita.
    Im still not sure why the Police think that nobody was involved ...
    I wish they had given their reasons as to the conclusion that they and the coroner came too.

9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

FBI awaiting lab testing in death of woman found in trunk

Authorities are still trying to unlock the mystery of how a Great Falls woman ended up shot to death in the trunk of her car earlier this month.

A spokeswoman with the FBI said officials are awaiting lab testing results before they reveal any more information about Rita Maze's death.

http://helenair.com/news/crime-and-...cle_7fd48a9f-f219-5ead-9133-60485d3b0356.html

spike, GarAndMo49, Ladyslug and 2 others like this.
  10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

GarAndMo49, MULDER, fran and 4 others like this.
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Case of dead Montana woman found in car still unsolved

It has been two months since the Montana woman was found dead in the trunk of her car near the Spokane Airport. Rita Maze was reportedly kidnapped at a rest stop and driven to Spokane. As of Monday, the case is still wide open.

FBI agents said they still get asked about this case almost every day. Given the huge interest, KREM 2 wondered why there had been no updates about the Rita Maze case.

Despite the silence, federal agents said this case is still very active.

Law enforcement officials said it all comes down to processing lab work. Like many potential crime scenes, there was a lot of evidence that needed to be processed. They said it is a time consuming effort.

As a result, FBI agents said the final report on what happened to Rita Maze likely will not be issued until this spring.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/crime/rita-maze-case-still-left-unsolved/352069333

GarAndMo49, MULDER, spike and 2 others like this.
  12. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Thanks for the update @SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
    I'm glad to see the case is still active and open and they are waiting on results from the labs.
    Strength and support to Rita's family.

13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

FBI no longer seeking suspects in death of Rita Maze found in car trunk

The FBI is not actively seeking any suspects in the case of a Montana woman who was found dead in the trunk of her car in Spokane, Washington after telling her family she had been abducted from a rest stop north of Helena.

The agency released a statement Wednesday saying the investigation into the Sept. 6 death of 47-year-old Rita Maze of Great Falls was not complete, but investigators have not uncovered any evidence to indicate anyone else was involved. Some lab tests are pending.

At this time – based on the evidence gathered thus far – we are not actively seeking any suspects in this case. However, it should be noted that the investigation remains ongoing, pending the results of laboratory analysis. The FBI continues to actively pursue this case and therefore, we cannot make any further comment at this time.”

http://www.myfoxspokane.com/fbi-no-longer-seeking-suspects-in-death-of-rita-maze-found-in-car-trunk/

Ladyslug, MULDER, spike and 1 other person like this.
  14. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

So we wait ....
    Poor Rita's family :(
    I hope they are being kept up to date on what is going on and why the FBI are no longer looking for a suspect - as well as what is happening with the tests.
    I also hope they are receiving emotional support over this matter.

What bugs me about all of this is what really happened - why would Rita do something like this - in this manner?
    It seems over the top - way over.
    I wonder if there have been other reports of this type of situation that has also been deemed a suicide or self harm event?

Ladyslug, misssasska, spike and 2 others like this.
  15. spike

spike Bronze Member

Agreed, Mulder. Makes no sense.

Ladyslug, Cousin Dupree and MULDER like this.
  16. misssasska

misssasska Active Member

If the FBI have said they are not seeking suspects, then that means they don't think anyone else is involved. Unless there's another reason that I'm missing? (I'm not aware of any, but not that familiar with FBI protocols.)

Maybe they found no evidence whatsoever of another person having been involved - nothing on CCTV, nothing physical in the car. You would think that they would have CCTV from somewhere either showing Rita only, or another person. But, maybe not, or maybe they have a video of Rita and no physical evidence in the car who knows. If they ruled out another person they must be pretty sure though.

Maybe the investigation is not complete on how she went about with a suicide.

As for the driving, and route lengths, if it is suicide the routes taken could be nonsensical. People who are depressed for example or feeling disturbed might take an unusual route 'to think' or for no particular reason.

Sadly the fact that the family denies it could have been suicide makes me feel it could have been - why has anyone questioned them about it - and I hope they're getting support, also.

17. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

FBI still waiting for lab results 6 months after Rita Maze's death

It has been six months since a Montana woman was found dead in the trunk of her car by the Spokane airport.

FBI officials said they are not searching for suspects but the case is still open. They said they are still waiting on lab results, which they estimated would take about six months, but those lab analysis still have not been completed.

Although the FBI does not believe anyone else was involved in her death, they have not come out and officially called it a suicide because they are waiting on lab results. They said they want to be extremely thorough before releasing any more information.

KREM 2 checked in with the Washington State Patrol Crime lab on Thursday. They said the lab in Cheney handled the initial crime scene and said their lab tests have been complete for months. So it is not results from tests run locally the FBI is waiting on.

The other elements of the case were sent to the national FBI Crime lab to be analyzed. Officials said the hold up there could simply be a backlog of cases. The FBI crime lab handles cases from all over the country. As for exactly what lab results they still waiting on and when they could be finished, the FBI could not give any answers.

The case is still open. FBI officials said they are continuing to actively pursue it.

http://www.krem.com/news/local/spok...lts-6-months-after-rita-mazes-death/421279148

18. Howell

Howell Active Member

Hello all,

First time poster, and first I've heard of this case. Strange one. The FBI seems convinced this case was a suicide, so I'm curious how it is they are 'actively pursuing it'. Unless of course "waiting on lab results" qualifies as an active pursuit...

Any ideas on what possible lab test could change this from a suicide to some other manner of death? The car and body would have been processed/autopsied locally, and those are finished. They've already said there's no one else involved, so what would DNA tell them? I'm guessing they just want to cover every little detail before they make an announcement.

And I agree with misssaska. In today's world, it would be hard to believe they don't have footage of whoever was driving her car and made those card transactions, especially as these were major-brand gas stations. I'm guessing it showed Rita alone, and that's led to their conclusion.

Kimster, MULDER, Ladyslug and 3 others like this.
  19. spike

spike Bronze Member

I, for one...am perplexed.
    :welcome:

MULDER, Ladyslug and Cousin Dupree like this.
  20. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

Hello! :waving:

Kimster, MULDER, spike and 1 other person like this.