1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Who killed Caroline Byrne?

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by Lily, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Caroline Byrne (1970–1995), an Australian model, was found at the bottom of a cliff at The Gap in Sydney in the early hours of 8 June 1995. Her then boyfriend Gordon Eric Wood (b 1962), who at the time of her death was chauffeur and personal assistant to successful businessman Rene Rivkin, was convicted of her murder on 21 November 2008 and spent three years in Goulburn jail. He was acquitted of the conviction in February 2012.[1][2]

Wood left Australia after his release from prison and spent time in the United States and Britain. In 2014 he brought defamation actions against the Sydney radio stations 2GB and 2UE, Channel Seven Sydney, and The Daily Telegraph [36]which were all settled out of court in his favour for undisclosed sums.[37]

In 2016 Wood sued the state of NSW for millions of dollars plus costs for malicious prosecution and wrongful imprisonment, based on a number of grounds including a "hopelessly corrupted" and "ridiculous" police case against him.[38]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Caroline_Byrne

A "devious" physics professor, a vengeful ex-boyfriend, a prominent businesswoman "playing Miss Marple", and a Crown prosecutor prepared to bend the rules.

Those are just some of the things that led to Gordon Wood being wrongly convicted of the murder of his girlfriend Caroline Byrne, his barrister says.

Prosecutors accused Mr Wood of throwing Ms Byrne off the cliff, and a jury found him guilty of her murder after a high-profile trial in 2008.

He spent three years in jail before he was acquitted by the Court of Criminal Appeal in 2012.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gordon-wo...lt-of-devious-case-court-20170220-gugqq2.html

Did Gordon Wood kill Caroline Byrne?

In 1995, model Caroline Byrne’s body was found on the jagged rocks at the bottom of an ocean cliff known as The Gap in Sydney.

She was just 24.

Now her then-boyfriend has launched what is believed to be the largest claim for malicious prosecution ever brought to the courts — more than $20 million.

The former self-employed financial consultant, gym junkie and chauffeur Gordon Wood was convicted of her murder in 2008 and then, in 2012, acquitted by the Court of Criminal Appeal after serving three years in jail.

He is now suing the State of NSW for legal costs, damages and lost income.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/33535bf267544eb44d142c5cde8b881c

GarAndMo49 and MULDER like this.
  2. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

3. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Grief may have been behind Gordon Wood’s notorious statement that his dead girlfriend’s spirit led him to her body, a court has heard.

Wood’s barrister put the suggestion to senior Crown prosecutor Mark Tedeschi QC, who was giving evidence on Friday.

Tedeschi lists Wood’s inability to explain why he went to notorious Sydney suicide spot The Gap the night his girlfriend Caroline Byrne died there among the evidence that supported bringing a murder prosecution.

Wood told police in 1996: “I think there was some kind of spiritual communication to me that was occurring to me subliminally to go there [The Gap]”.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...aim-byrnes-spirit-led-him-to-body-court-hears

GarAndMo49, spike and MULDER like this.
  4. misssasska

misssasska Active Member

Oh!! so glad to see this, this was one of the first court transcripts of a case that I ever read. I became fascinated - I didn't know there was a 4 corners episode about it!

The physicist who testified was .. interesting .. I think he botched his job really. It sounded to me like he was a great physicist, and a not-so-great forensic investigator (and not very experienced, though I haven't checked that).

5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to set precedents for such a large lawsuit. Many jurisdictions will be afraid to prosecute anybody. I fear more bad guys walking around our streets if that happens.

misssasska, MULDER and Lily like this.