1. BREAKING NEWS IN THE BEAR BROOK MURDERS CASE!
    Three of the Jane Does have been IDENTIFIED!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  4. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  6. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

WV Who was the girl in the dumpster? (article)

Discussion in 'Unidentified 2010 to Present' started by Lily, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I stumbled on this 2012 article the other day, by Vanessa Veselka, who as a teenager had a very probable run-in with serial killer Robert Rhoades while hitchhiking along the I-95.

In the article, Veselka describes her own terrifying ordeal, which is coupled in her memory with the discovery of a body in a truck-stop dumpster around the same time. As an adult, she went in search of information regarding both Rhoades and the girl in the dumpster, speaking to other victims, the killer's wife, and various police departments.

This article is so worth reading and for so many reasons, I urge CW'ers to give it a lookover - but I posted it here because, despite what appears to be an exhaustive search, Veselka could find no record at all of the dumpster murder in any police department, anywhere. It's as though the murder never happened at all... though I don't doubt the author's account of what she saw and heard at the time.

So there was a murder of a girl in 1985, probably a hitch hiker, of which there is no existing record as far as anyone knows. She was found in a dumpster at a truck stop in "Martinsburg" - though Veselka initially thought she remembered this as being in Pennsylvania, it was more probably in West Virginia.

Vaselka makes a very salient point that runaway teens hitching rides with truckers are all too often conflated with professional prostitutes - and that both are viewed as throwaway, 'invisible' people (as killer Rhoades put it)...not only to killers and sexual predators, but to just about everyone else as well.

Having had an incredibly similar hitch hiking experience in my own youth -- complete with scary probable serial killer -- this all really struck a nerve with me..... but in the end, I am left wanting to know who this poor girl was whose body was found, clearly murdered, but of whom no official records can be found.

Who was she? What happened to her remains? Could she be one of the many missing young women listed here? Why does nobody but the author have any memory of her? Has any information come to light since 2012?

Maybe somebody out there will have the answers.

Article link: http://www.gq.com/story/truck-stop-killer-gq-november-2012

Kimster, KareBear, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  2. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

To anyone who is thinking of reading the article - just go ahead and click it - it is a great find Lily - well written and insightful.

It urks me to think that many databases are full of details of people, both Missing and Unidentified which will never be solved because official records, like the ones described in the article, are gone - forever.
    Records of a person that should have be preserved which detail their death, without a name or justice, are wiped from computers to make space for more cases of the same.
    With the press of the delete button the last remaining thin thread which is holding their existence in this world is severed - they never existed - the circumstances of their deaths have vanished -
    there is no going back - it will never be retrieved either by memory of the mind or a computer bank.

The picture of the girl in the truck is haunting - mainly because no-one knows who she is, and yet it is known who took the picture - a serial killer.
    As soon as I saw it I thought about the Highway of Tears, and then Buckskin Girl, and the many more cases where there just seems to be no answers and dead ends to investigations.
    And yet before that there were so many 'invisiables' that we know about now of women who were never reported missing - never identified.

Who am I.JPG
    I wonder if she is safe, or if she now only resides in a database with no name and no hope of her being identified as the girl in the cabin of that truck.

http://www.gq.com/story/truck-stop-killer-gq-november-2012

Whatsnext, KareBear, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

The article got to me.

4. Redrover

Redrover Well-Known Member

Powerful article.

5. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member

What a mystery.... that was a great read, truly! Thanks for sharing!

Lily and Whatsnext like this.
  6. Whatsnext

Whatsnext Well-Known Member

Wow, how lucky she was to survive this experience...what a well written article. Thanks for sharing, Lily.

Lily and KareBear like this.
  7. Whatsnext

Whatsnext Well-Known Member

Well, she is safe, how good to know:)

https://aptnnews.ca/2019/02/24/albe...f-in-photo-found-in-u-s-serial-killers-truck/

KareBear likes this.
  8. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member