1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

WILLIAM BRADFORD BISHOP: Wanted in the murder of his family - 1976

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by fran, Jun 17, 2015.

1. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

FBI turns to Facebook to try and find 'family annihilator' ex-diplomat on the run since 1976 for bludgeoning five family members to death

• William Bradford Bishop has not been seen since March 2, 1976
    • He is suspected of battering his wife, mother and three sons to death at their Maryland home the day before
    • Their bodies were found burning in a field in North Carolina the same day
    • Last year the FBI added Bishop, who was dubbed the 'Family Annihilator', to its top 10 most wanted list
    • The FBI is now hoping the launch of a Facebook page called Seeking William Bradford Bishop Jr will help find the elusive diplomat

[​IMG]

Bishops alleged victims, his wife and three children.

[​IMG]

His mother also a victim

[​IMG]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...76-bludgeoning-five-family-members-death.html

2. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Crimes of this nature give me the absolute heebies....

Most family annihilators kill themselves. Harsh I know - but I hope that's the case, here, if he's indeed guilty. Rather than him being out there somewhere, perhaps with a whole new family, who are none the wiser.... (major heebie factor!)

I'd love to know more about this case. Hoping to find some more articles.

GarAndMo49, fran and ~Lyric~ like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I read about him years ago and I believe there was a documentary done on him a long time ago? Or maybe I saw him on America's Most Wanted? We could put him in the media gallery but I don't want to see any killer faces rolling around up there. I'd sure like them to catch him!

Jimmy, Meash, GarAndMo49 and 2 others like this.
  4. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Search for William Bradford Bishop Continues 40 Years Later

A heinous crime committed 40 years ago still haunts a Montgomery County community, and the whereabouts of the alleged perpetrator remain unknown.

“Nothing has changed since March 2, 1976 when Bishop was last seen except the passage of time,” Steve Vogt, special agent in charge of the FBI's Baltimore Division, said in 2014.

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $100,000 for any information that leads to Bishop's arrest.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...shop-Continues-40-Years-Later--370807381.html

[​IMG]

6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Appalachian Unsolved: The diplomat accused of murdering his family, Part 1

A beautiful family. An elite education. A prestigious position.

William Bradford Bishop Jr destroyed all of that and more with a hammer he bought at Sears the night of March 1, 1976, law enforcement authorities allege. They're still trying to bring him to justice.

Forty-two years later, Bishop remains an internationally sought fugitive, the oldest man and the oldest case on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list. Today, he'd be 81 years old.

Until they know better, Maryland and FBI officials are assuming he's still alive.

Where he's at nobody knows. Why he annihilated his family is still a matter of speculation.

And why he picked a parking lot in the Smokies as the final stop in his terrible crime? That, too, remains a mystery, one that investigators vow to solve.

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $100,000 for information leading to his arrest.

"The anger that he showed when he committed these murders -- he took the hammer to each one of them -- is beyond comprehension," said Montgomery County, Md., Sheriff Darren Popkin.

MUCH MORE: http://www.wbir.com/article/news/cr...d-of-murdering-his-family-part-1/51-512842729

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

noZme, Uno2Much, spike and 2 others like this.
  7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

From the article patsella posted above:

There have been three credible sightings of Bishop since he disappeared in 1976: a Swedish woman and former acquaintance said she spotted him in Stockholm in July 1978; a former neighbor said she saw him on a train platform in Basel, Switzerland, in September 1994; and a former colleague stood next to him in a men's room in Sorrento, Italy, in January 1979.

"I thought he was a vagrant," said retired Foreign Service officer Roy Harrell, who saw Bishop in Sorrento. "He was standing there and I came and stood right next to him, and for some reason turned. In my mind's eye I stripped off the beard, and saw the Foreign Service officer I had seen in Washington, D.C. I just impulsively said, 'You're Brad Bishop, aren't you?' And he began trembling and shaking and said 'Oh God, no' and turned around. I have no doubt it was him."

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/02/us/bradford-bishop-the-hunt-john-walsh/index.html

..seems it's likely he bolted for Europe, I think it's very likely that if he did go OS, he would've stayed there.

8. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

The pictures of his beautiful wife and children make me so sad and angry... what a lovely family he was blessed with, only to slaughter them and burn them like so much garbage.

I hope he's alive and captured and sent to where he belongs.

9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Appalachian Unsolved: The diplomat accused of killing his family, Part 2

If you're a man who has just murdered his family, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a perfect place to disappear.

William Bradford Bishop, 39, an ambitious U.S. State Department diplomat whose life was falling apart, appears to have done just that in March 1976. Nearly 42 years later, he still hasn't been found.

But authorities say it's possible he is right here in East Tennessee. Or, his remains are.

They're planning a public relations push in the spring in the national park to stoke new interest in the murder investigation.

The park is a key aspect of the case. Many questions linger about the man the FBI calls a family annihilator, about why he wove the Smokies into his crime.

"Keeping this information out there, alive, that this did occur and he could potentially be up in a cabin as a recluse with a beard -- I don't discount anything," Montgomery County. Md., Sheriff Darren Popkin said. "Anyone in that general area that has any information -- nothing is too small. We are happy to look into anything."

Several tantalizing clues emerged.

The investigation revealed that a man who looked like Bishop had turned up at the Sugarlands Visitor Center in early March, after the killings. He asked for a park map, mentioning that he'd enjoyed camping at Elkmont before and wanted to get directions so he could go back, McCarter said.

A tracking dog picked up a scent March 24 at the visitor center near the relief map in the northwest corner of the display room, Park Service records show.

Something also drew a bloodhound to the front and back doors of the Allen Cabin, among the rustic Elkmont homes where many well-to-do families used to spend summer vacations. But the dog lost interest when allowed inside, Park Service records obtained by 10News show.

The FBI relayed information that the Bishop family might have camped at Elkmont in July, August or early September 1975, records show.

"The FBI wanted us to crawl up under the cabins, on top of them, in the loft, check every cubbyhole, the toilets -- anything structural," McCarter told 10News. "And we did."

Another possible clue: A wingtip shoe print was discovered on the Appalachian Trail. Trackers could determine no reason why it would be there.

By March 26, however, all searches were called off. If Bishop was still in the Smokies, authorities hadn't found the evidence.

Later, an acquaintance alerted McCarter about what appeared to be a small grave near Newt Prong. McCarter checked it out.

"I went up there and sure enough there's a grave there," he told 10News. "The rocks were piled up in a 3-foot-long area and there was a cross on the grave. I had never seen that before, never."

McCarter took photos of it. The cross appeared to be tied with parachute cords. It appeared fairly fresh.

The ranger, now retired, never did try to find out what was in the grave. But ever since, he's always suspected it was Bishop's dog. He imagines Bishop himself digging it and burying Leo before moving on.

Today, the site is overgrown, the cross long gone.

Editor's note: If you have any information about the whereabouts of William Bradford Bishop you have several options to relay information.

The FBI has a national number -- 800-CALL-FBI -- that you can use. You also can call your local FBI office. If you live out of the country, contact your local consulate.

Authorities welcome any information. No tip is too small.

When you call, be ready to tell authorities why you think you may have seen Bradford Bishop and where you or someone you know saw him.

http://www.wbir.com/article/news/cr...sed-of-killing-his-family-part-2/51-516155553

[​IMG] [​IMG]

noZme, Uno2Much, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  10. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Business Insider 2014.

Business Insider spoke this week with Stephen Vogt, Special Agent in Charge at the FBI's Baltimore field office.

The FBI hopes Bishop's recent addition to the top 10 fugitives list will attract attention leading to a tip from someone who recognizes his face. "We need the public to look at this face and call us, because that's the only way we're going to catch him at this point," Vogt said.

Last year, authorities created a task force aimed at finally tracking Bishop down, led by the FBI, the Department of State, and the Maryland Montgomery County Sheriff's Office.

Investigators have only had the knowledge of Bishop's face and fingerprints to help them track him down. But he could have avoided capture all this time by assuming a fake identity and avoiding an arrest that would result in police checking his fingerprints.
    Vogt urges anyone who sees someone they think might be Bishop to give the FBI a call, despite any reservations they may have. "Don't think, 'Hey, it can't be him.' Just give us a call," he said.

He also emphasized that people should look out for certain traits that Bishop can't change as easily as his identity, such as his affinity for dogs, the outdoors, and motorcycles. "Bishop was described as intense and self-absorbed, prone to violent outbursts, and preferred a neat and orderly environment," states the FBI's description attached to Bishop's Most Wanted poster.

Another tell-tale sign could be Bishop's reaction to learning that he is now on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list. "He'll be acting a little strange since April 10 because there's a lot of pressure on him," Vogt said.

[​IMG]

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-searching-for-william-bradford-bishop-2014-4

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Michigan man added to FBI's Top 10 Most Wanted list

A Benton Harbor area man was added to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitives list, the agency announced Wednesday.

With the addition of Mims to the FBI's Top 10 list, the agency is removing William Bradford Bishop Jr., a man accused of killing his wife, three sons and mother in Bethesda, Maryland in 1976. Bradford Bishop was added to the FBI's list in 2014 and is the tenth person to be removed from the list without apprehension, death or dismissal of charges, said FBI Supervisory Special Agent David Porter. Porter said there have been no reported sightings of Bradford Bishop since 1976.

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2018/06/michigan_man_added_to_fbis_top.html

Kimster, Uno2Much and Lily like this.
  12. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Wow.... I kind of get why...

But if anyone deserves to be on that list, Bishop does.