1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NJ WILLIAM EBENEZER JONES: Missing from Vineland, NJ - 17 Dec 1962 - Age 3

Discussion in 'Missing 1900 to 1979' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Aug 22, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

William "Billy" Jones has been missing from Vineland, New Jersey since 1962.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Billy was last seen in the backyard of his family's home in Vineland, New Jersey around 1:00 pm on December 17, 1962. He was playing with his 2-year-old sister and the family dog while his mother watched through the front window inside the house. William's mother went into a bedroom to check on her other son. When she came back out, William's sister was standing in the doorway, holding a plastic flower. She said that a man had given her the flower and taken William. An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of him.

At the time of his disappearance, William had a vaccination scar on his left outer arm which is shaped like a giraffe.

NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1118401/1

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4570/1/

Charley Project- http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/jones_william.html

FBI - https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/william-ebeneezer-jones-jr/view

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/billy-jones-missing-from-vineland-newjersey-since-1962-age-progressed.721/

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Scorpio, Akoya and Kimster like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Fresh search for New Jersey boy 50 YEARS after he disappeared as FBI releases picture of what he would look like half a century after he vanished
    December 2012

The last time anyone saw William 'Billy' Jones he outside his family's New Jersey home, bundled in his snowsuit, playing with younger sister Jill.

That was 50 years ago.

Federal and local authorities are now reaching out for the public's help to find any new leads in the missing persons case that has now spanned three generations of investigators.

Vineland Police Department Det. Kristian Kirchner, who was not yet born when Jones disappeared, reportedly reopened the case in 2009.

It is believed to be the longest unsolved case of a missing child under 5 years old in the state.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-picture-look-like-half-century-vanished.html

spike, Akoya and Kimster like this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4196dmnj.html

The Doe Network:
    Case File 4196DMNJ

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

William Ebenezer Jones III
    Missing since December 17, 1962 from Vineland, Cumberland County, New Jersey
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: March 5, 1959
      • Age at Time of Disappearance: 3 years old
      • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0 to 3'6; 30-35 lbs
      • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
      • Marks, Scars: William had a vaccination scar on his left outer arm which is shaped like a giraffe.
      • Clothing: light blue or grayish snowsuit with a navy collar and silver buttons, a hat that matched his snowsuit and tan high-top crepe-soled shoes with yellow laces.He reportedly had a dime in his pocket that was given to him by his mother.
      • AKA: Billy
      • Dentals: Not available
      • DNA: Available; CODIS
    Circumstances of Disappearance

William was last seen in the back yard of his residence on December 17, 1962, when he was last seen playing in his front yard with his little sister, Jill, and the family’s pet basset hound.

He was last seen outside of his neighbor's house in Vineland, New Jersey around 11:45 a.m. At the time of his disappearance, Jones loved dogs and would do anything for dogs. That day, their mother watched from a window while preparing lunch for the children. She went into a bedroom to check on her 1-year-old son, Bart, and came back to find Jill standing in the doorway, holding a plastic poinsettia.

Billy had given her the plant, she said, and a man had taken Billy.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Vineland Police Department
    Detective Robert DeMarchi
    856-696-1212
    OR

New Jersey State Police, Missing Persons Unit
    609-882-2000 ex 2554

spike likes this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

www.foxnews.com

The Jones' residence in May 1965, some three years after William's disappearance.

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/2...ey-boy-continues-50-years-after-vanished.html

Coldest case: Search for New Jersey boy continues 50 years after he vanished

By Joshua Rhett Miller

Published December 23, 2012
    FoxNews.com

Federal and local authorities are now seeking the public’s help for new leads in the cold case that has spanned three generations of investigators from the Vineland Police Department and has garnered FBI interest since Jones — who would now be 53 years old — could theoretically be anywhere in the country, if not the world. Because no body was ever found, Jill Jones, who has spent a lifetime wondering what became of her big brother, believes he may have been snatched by adults who raised him as their own.

“We’re just trying to find out if anyone has any information regarding his whereabouts or if anyone might know who may have been involved in his disappearance,” FBI Special Agent John Mesisca told FoxNews.com. “Back then, he was last seen wearing a snowsuit … What we’re trying to do is get the word out and develop any new leads and resolve the case in any way we can.”

At the time of his disappearance on Dec. 17, 1962, William Ebeneezer Jones Jr. was 3 feet 6 inches tall and weighed 35 pounds. He had a vaccination scar on the back of his left arm that resembled a giraffe and was last seen wearing a light blue-gray snowsuit with a navy collar and silver buttons. He also reportedly had a dime in his pocket that was given to him by his mother Evelyn, who, like Billy’s father, has since died.

“There’s not a lot of the family left,” Mesisca said. “That has also impacted the investigation. Only his sister remains.”

Jill Jones, who was with her older brother in the front yard at the time of his disappearance, said she remains hopeful her big brother will one day be found alive.

“It’s a gut feeling for me, I know he’s still alive,” she told FoxNews.com. “There’s never been a body found, never been anything found. I don’t believe he’s dead.”

Jones, 52, surmises her brother was snatched by someone looking to replace a lost or deceased child.

“I really believe that,” she continued. “I don’t think he was murdered. I really believe someone lost a child and they took Billy to replace him.”

Three decades ago, a distraught and dejected Jones sought the help of a hypnotist in an attempt to unlock memories of that fateful afternoon.

“It brought back feelings and a little bit of memories,” said Jones, adding that her brother had a special bond with their dog, Babycakes.

“That was his pup,” she said. “He loved that dog.”

Jones’ disappearance reportedly led to hundreds of volunteers scouring the family’s Vineland neighborhood and included units from the New Jersey National Guard. Investigators also excavated grounds near an abandoned automobile dump, but that search was also fruitless.

In 2009, Vineland Police Department Det. Kristian Kirchner, who was not yet born when Jones disappeared, reportedly reopened the case, which is believed to be the longest unsolved case of a missing child under 5 years old in the state. Kirchner could not be reached for comment.

Jones, meanwhile, remains hopeful that this holiday season is the last one she’ll endure without her big brother.

“I do believe he’s still out there, I just don’t know how to find him,” she told FoxNews.com. “Maybe this is the year.”

Mel70 and spike like this.
  9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/william-ebeneezer-jones-jr

Billy Jones

Description
    Date(s) of Birth Used March 5, 1959
    Place of Birth Bridgetown, New Jersey
    Hair Brown/blond
    Eyes Blue
    Height 3'6" (at time of disappearance)
    Weight 35 pounds (at time of disappearance)
    Sex Male
    Race White
    Scars and Marks Jones has a vaccination scar shaped like a giraffe on the back of his left arm between his elbow and shoulder.
    Remarks:
    At the time of his disappearance, Jones loved dogs and would do anything for dogs.

Details:
    On December 17, 1962, three-year-old William "Billy" Jones, Jr. was last seen outside of his neighbor's house in Vineland, New Jersey around 11:45 a.m. He was last seen wearing a light blue or grayish snowsuit with a navy collar and silver buttons, a hat that matched his snowsuit and tan high-top crepe-soled shoes with yellow laces. He reportedly had a dime in his pocket that was given to him by his mother.

Submit a Tip:
    If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate, or the Vineland Police Department at 856-696-1212.
    Field Office: Newark

spike likes this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://articles.philly.com/2012-12-26/news/36000171_1_vineland-home-disappearance-blue-eyes

Kevin Riordan: Vineland missing-person case resonates 50 years later

[​IMG]
    Jill Jones was walking with her brother in 1962 when he vanished. Vineland Detective Kristian Kirchner says police took up the case again in 2009. (RON TARVER / Staff Photographer)

By Kevin Riordan, Inquirer Columnist
    POSTED: December 26, 2012
    Billy's hand in hers.

It's what Jill Jones remembers best about her big brother, a half-century after they went to play outside their Vineland home - and he disappeared.

On that chilly morning of Dec. 17, 1962, William Ebenezer Jones wore a blue-gray snowsuit, a matching hat, and tan high-tops with yellow laces.

He had blue eyes, big ears, and a vaccination scar shaped like a giraffe on his upper left arm. He loved dogs and was three months away from his fourth birthday.

When Billy didn't return to the house at 302 Taylor Ave. that he shared with his parents and two younger siblings, hundreds of police, firefighters, National Guard troops, and volunteers searched for days on foot, by boat and by air. The missing boy became a national news story and stunned the city in Cumberland County.

No body was found, no arrests were made, and no credible sightings have been reported in the 50 years since Jill Jones, who was not yet 3, came home alone. She carried a plastic potted poinsettia she couldn't explain and told her mother "the bogeyman" took Billy.

A neighbor had seen Billy about 11:45 a.m. and suggested he go home. His mother, who had been busy with her infant son, answered a knock at the door at 1 and found only Jill.

"Somebody has to know something. I really do believe that," says retired Vineland Police Sgt. Patrick Dougherty, 62, who remembers the case from his childhood. "Until I see a body, I'm not going to rule out that he's alive."

Under hypnosis in the 1980s, Jones - who now lives in Gloucester County - gave a vivid account of holding hands with Billy as two men fought in front of an oil-drum fire at the Palace of Depression, a quirky local landmark not far from the family's home.

"I remember running, and eventually I could see the door to my house," says Jones, a grandmother of four whose life has been haunted by this mystery.

Her parents, now long deceased, had a rough time accepting their oldest child's death, and they moved the family out of the city not long afterward. Jones says she still dreams about Billy.

"It's like he's on the other side of a brick wall, and he's calling me, and I have to find a way to get to him," she says. "I still say I'm going to find him."

At the time of Billy's disappearance, searchers combed the Palace, a faded tourist attraction built from discarded materials by a local eccentric. "It was thought that he might have wandered in there," Vineland Detective Kristian Kirchner says.

He joins Jones and me at her home, where she places several boxes of clippings and photos of Vineland's best-known unsolved case on the dining room table.

In recent years information about Billy's disappearance has been entered into the National Crime Information Center system. On the 50th anniversary, the FBI uploaded photos of the missing boy as well as an "age-progression" image of him onto the agency's website ( www.philly.com/missing).

"In 2009 we really started to look at the case again," says Kirchner, who grew up in Vineland and became a cop in 1998. "Obviously there have been huge technological advances since 1962."

Jones has provided a DNA sample. Separately, investigators have determined that the poinsettia, much discussed over the years, does not appear to have a significant role in the case.

They have talked to area residents and others about their memories of that day. Some of the conversations "have given us some information to look at from different angles," Kirchner says.

"We've also sat down with some of the original officers."

The police department hopes fresh exposure of the case beyond Vineland will result in new information.

"If Billy had been kidnapped, he very easily might have been taken out of the area," Kirchner notes. "In 1962, records were different, and it was easier to create a new identity for a 3-year-old."

"We want to talk to anyone who may have been in that area, who think they may remember something," says Police Lt. Matthew Finley.

"At this point nothing is insignificant. One clue could open a variety of doors, and you never know where those doors might lead."

Jones occasionally sees Billy in the face of a stranger and has been tempted to ask if the man has a giraffe-shaped scar.

"I have faith" Billy is alive, she says. "I'll never give up."

Jones had to leave her big brother behind during that nightmarish scene at the Palace of Depression.

But as long as she's alive, she'll never let go of his hand.

Anyone with information about Billy Jones' disappearance is asked to call the Vineland Police Department at 856-691-4111.

Contact Kevin Riordan at 856-779-3845 or kriordan@phillynews.com, or follow on Twitter @inqkriordan. Read the Metro columnists' blog, "Blinq," at www.phillynews.com/blinq.

spike likes this.
  13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.findthemissing.org/es/cases/4570/79

NamUs MP # 4570
    William Jones, III
    [​IMG]
    Cumberland County, New Jersey
    3 year old white male

State New Jersey
    Zip code
    County Cumberland
    Circumstances
    William was last seen in the back yard of his residence on December 17, 1962. At the time of his disappearance, William had a vaccination scar on his left outer arm which is shaped like a giraffe. He goes by the nickname Billy.

Physical
    Hair color Brown
    Head hair
    Billy's hair is light brown in color.

Left eye color Blue
    Right eye color Blue
    Eye description

At the time of his disappearance, Billy had a vaccination scar on his left outer arm which is shaped like a giraffe.

Clothing
    Billy was last seen wearing a blue snow suit with large silver buttons.
    Footwear
    Billy was last seen wearing tan high-top tennis shoes.

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Detective
    First name C.
    Last name Scarpa
    Phone 856-691-4111
    Website
    Case number 72911-09
    Date reported
    Jurisdiction Local
    Agency Vineland Police Department
    Address 1 111 North 6th Street
    Address 2
    City East Vineland
    State New Jersey
    Zip code 08360

spike likes this.
  14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

spike likes this.
  15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

What happened to Billy Jones? 55 years later, search continues for Vineland boy

A plastic bin in Jill Jones’ house contains photographs, decades-old newspaper clippings and baby clothes that belonged to her brother who went missing in 1962 from their Cumberland County home.

William Jones Jr., or “Billy” as Jill calls him, disappeared 55 years ago. The 3-year-old child was last seen playing outside with Jill, his younger sister, near their Taylor Avenue home in Vineland.

“I keep it because it’s my brother,” said Jill Jones, who now lives in Gloucester County, about the artifacts in the container. “When I’m dead, who’s going to know (about Billy)? This is all I got.”

“We continue to work it,” said FBI Special Agent John Mesisca, who’ is based at the agency’s office in Northfield. “We’re hoping we can resolve it.”

The FBI is assisting Vineland police in the investigation, which is in its fifth decade.

“It is difficult, and the longer it goes, the harder it is to solve,” Mesisca said. “At this point, because of the time, we’re going to really need that person to come forward.”

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_5d2a6394-9a5c-5862-b650-b2fbb6ac922f.html

spike and Akoya like this.
  17. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

On December 17th, 1962, William “Billy” Jones disappeared from his home in Vineland; he was only three.

According to Wikipedia, Billy went out to play with his sister, Jill; he was last seen by a neighbor’s house around 11:45 AM. According to Fox News, Billy was wearing a snow suit when he went outside; his sister returned home with an artificial potted poinsettia. She was younger than Billy and as recently as 2012 said she doesn’t remember that day.

Within an hour of the disappearance, a manhunt was initiated, a manhunt that grew to over 100 people as well as the New Jersey National Guard. A nearby automobile was searched but nothing was found. Not only were no remains ever found, no clues were ever found. In 2009, a Vineland detective reopened the case, but it remains unsolved. Billy’s sister is convinced he was snatched by a family that was trying to replace a deceased child.

http://wpgtalkradio.com/one-of-the-oldest-missing-child-cases-in-new-jersey-is-from-vineland/

19. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I DO HOPE He was taken to replace a "Deceased" Child. And was raised with NOTHING but LOVE!. It's the best way I can think of. But....(Sigh) how many times does that really happen. The "Poinsettia" and the Sister stating He was taken by "The Boogeyman" gives Me the "Chills". They apparently just wanted Him. No one saw or heard ANYTHING!

20. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

MISSING FOR YEARS: NJ WANTS YOUR HELP FINDING THESE PEOPLE

Between 14,000 and 16,000 people are reported missing in New Jersey every year. And every year, about 99% of these individuals are recovered.

But that pleasant statistic doesn't do much for the loved ones of the 1,000-plus missing persons whose cases have gone unsolved, dating as far back as 1969.

William Jones Jr.
    Date of Last Contact: Dec. 17, 1962
    Date of Birth: March 5, 1959
    Height: 3 feet
    Weight: 30 pounds
    County: Cumberland

William Ebenezer Jones Jr. was last seen on Dec. 17, 1962, in his backyard in Vineland. He has a giraffe-shaped vaccination scar on his left arm. He was last seen wearing a blue snowsuit with large silver buttons and tan high-top tennis shoes. Contact Vineland Police Department at 856-696-1212

https://nj1015.com/nj-event-aims-to-help-identify-and-locate-missing-people/

[​IMG]