1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

LA YLENIA CARRISI: Missing from New Orleans, LA - 6 January 1994 - Age 23

Discussion in 'Missing 1990 to 1999' started by Akoya, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Ylenia Maria Carrisi

Case Classification: Endangered Missing
    Missing Since: January 6, 1994
    Location Last Seen: New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana
    Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.
    Date of Birth: July 26, 1970
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
    Race: White
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 120 lbs.
    Hair Color: Blonde
    Eye Color: Green
    Alias(s) / Nickname(s): N/A
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Italian citizen but speaks English fluently.
    Dentals: Available.
    Fingerprints: Not available.
    DNA: Available.
    Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Floral print dress and a waist-length jacket.
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown
    Circumstances of Disappearance

Ylenia Carrisi arrived from Belize to New Orleans on December 30, 1993. She was staying at the Le 'Dale at 749 Charles Street in the French Quarter with a 54-year old street musician, whom she had met during a visit to New Orleans the previous summer. The hotel was low rent and is now closed.

Her family in Italy last spoke to her when she contacted them via telephone on January 1, 1994.

According to the hotel, Ylenia left, without her personal belongings, around noon on January 6 and never returned. She left behind her backpack, notebooks, and passport. The musician remained at the hotel until he checked out on January 14th trying to pay the bill using traveler's checks made payable to Ylenia Carrisi.

On January 30, a security guard at the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas reported that on January 6 around 11:30 p.m. while on patrol around Woldenberg Park, located on the west bank of the Mississippi River, he saw a blonde woman sitting on the pier. She was described as blonde, aged 18 to 24, very pretty, and wearing a jacket and a floral dress that fell just below the knees. When the security guard told her she couldn't be in the park after hours, to which she reportedly replied that "It doesn't matter...I belong to the river." The woman then jumped into the Mississippi River and swam toward the center. The police were called. The woman began to struggle and ask for help. A passing boat created a wake and the woman went under the water and did not re-emerge.

A search involving boats and police helicopters lasted for hours but the victim was never located. It has never been confirmed that the woman who drowned in the river was Ylenia Carrisa, nor have any of the bodies recovered from the river in the following months been identified as hers.

On January 31, the street musician was arrested in connection with Ylenia's disappearance. He claimed that he did not know where she was and police were unable to hold him due to lack of evidence.

Ylenia is the daughter of Italian singers Romina Power and Albano Carrisi, and the granddaughter of the American actor Tyrone Power. She was a celebrity in her on right as the letter turner for the show "La Ruota de Fortuna" - similar to the American show "Wheel of Fortune."

A year prior to her disappearance and while visiting New Orleans, her father stated that she had went into the Mississippi River but got scared and was able to get out. He said she had been under the effects of marijuana.

Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;
    Agency Name: New Orleans Police Department
    Agency Contact Person: N/A
    Agency Phone Number: 504-826-1302
    Agency Case Number: A-36564-94
    NCIC Case Number: N/A
    NamUs Case Number: MP #17538
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1107dfla.html

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...om-new-orleans-la-6-january-1994-age-23.1468/

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...been-missing-from-neworleans-since-1994.1555/

Edited by Imamazed to add media link

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
    spike likes this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Ylenia Carrisi
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ylenia Carrisi
    Born Ylenia Maria Sole Carrisi
    November 29, 1970
    Rome, Italy
    Disappeared January 6, 1994 (aged 23)
    New Orleans
    Status Missing for 21 years, 5 months and 2 days
    Height 5'9" (178 cm)
    Parent(s) Albano Carrisi and Romina Power
    Ylenia Maria Sole Carrisi (born November 29, 1970-missing since January 6, 1994) is the eldest daughter of Italian singers and actors Albano Carrisi and Romina Power. She disappeared under mysterious circumstances while visiting New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, in January 1994. Carrisi, upon her father's request, was presumed dead in January 2013. [1]

Carrisi was born in Rome on November 29, 1970, the eldest daughter of Albano Carrisi and Romina Power. Her maternal grandparents are American actor Tyrone Power and Mexican actress Linda Christian.

Life[edit]
    In 1983, she appeared alongside her parents in the Italian film Champagne in paradiso. Later on, she was the letter-turner on La Ruota Della Fortuna, the Italian version of Wheel of Fortune. She envisaged for herself a career as a novelist, studying literature at King's College London, where she received the highest marks in her year.

Disappearance[edit]

LeDale Hotel on St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, where Carrisi was staying at the time of her disappearance.
    During her studies, she began to entertain the idea of traveling the world solo with nothing but a backpack and her journal. She decided to take a break from studying and returned to Italy where she sold all her belongings in order to pay for the voyage. She began in South America. After having spent a few months in Belize, she decided to leave the day after Christmas 1993 by bus to New Orleans, Louisiana. Her brother Yari, also an experienced traveler, had decided to surprise his sister by visiting her that Christmas. He arrived on a rainy 27 December in the village of Hopkins, going door to door in search for her, only to find that the day before, she had hopped on a bus heading to Mexico. Unfortunately, he arrived 24 hours too late for she was already heading to New Orleans, where she disappeared on January 6, 1994.

Carrisi was last seen in the French Quarter area sometime during the month. Police efforts to find her did not yield any result. At the time of her disappearance, Carrisi was staying in the LeDale Hotel with African-American street musician Alexander Masakela, twenty years her senior. Masakela was arrested on January 31 on an unrelated charge[2] but eventually released for lack of evidence to connect him to Carrisi's disappearance.

In relation to her disappearance, a security guard testified that he saw a woman vaguely matching her description jump into the Mississippi River saying the words "I belong into water". A Coast Guard search turned up no sign of the young woman's body, which may have been washed out to sea. In any case, it has never been established that the person was Carrisi. In 1996, two years after her disappearance, an unspecified caller assured emphatically that Carrisi was still alive but her whereabouts were unknown.[3]

Carrisi's parents last heard from their daughter on New Year's Eve. They reported her missing on January 18.[4] Her mother believes she's still alive. In November 2006, Albano stated for the first time that he believed the security guard's story. In January 2013 he requested the declaration of the presumed death of his daughter.

She was reportedly discovered in June 2011 in a monastery in the United States. Her father dismissed the report as "shameful speculation containing not a bit of truth."[5]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ylenia_Carrisi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ylenia_Carrisi

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    FlandersFields and spike like this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Ylenia is the granddaughter of Tyrone Power, an American actor best known for his role as Zorro. Her mother Romina Power is also quite well known as well. She is an Italian singer and actress. Her father is Italian actor, Albano Carrisi.

[​IMG]

FlandersFields, Kimster and spike like this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...a-carrisi-su-hermano-acude-al-deluxe_1101605/

"Ylenia Carrisi killed by a serial killer,"

Al Bano and Romina Power for the dramatic disappearance of Ylenia marked an irreparable break in their life, in their family. Learn that maybe 22 years later would be the victim of a serial killer opens disturbing scenarios rekindling the spotlight on one of the news stories unusual complex. "The police have asked him to, and a week ago I was taken DNA" said Al Bano, but added that he does not believe in the merits of the new investigation. The samples will be compared with those taken from the remains of a woman found dead in Holt, Florida, on September 15, 1994. It had been nine months after the disappearance of Ylenia. "I would be so," said the father. Ylenia could not have thrown into the Mississippi. "I confirm everything concerning the taking - told ilfattoquotidiano.it - but for me today is just too much. We wait."
    An identikit and the DNA of a young woman killed by a serial killer who had hitched a ride may soon reveal what happened to the girl (then 24 years old) and, above all, whether it is the same person. In order to test this hypothesis in recent days in Cellino San Marco (Brindisi), the country where he lives Al Bano, DNA samples were taken at the head of the family and children Yari, Cristel and Romina Junior.

The truck driver Keith Hunter Jesperson is also known as the 'Happy Face Killer' for the smile that drew when he sent letters to the media. The alleged murderer would have killed at least eight women between 1990 and 1995, in six different states: Nebraska, California, Florida, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming. In 1996, he confessed that he had taken the life of a girl he met in a service station in Tampa, Florida. The body had been found two years earlier and the Sheriff of Palm Beach has never stopped to investigate, to get the identity of the woman. His face was reconstructed and the identikit has been recognized by the serial killer. The girl called herself Suzy or Suzanne. The detail has not escaped the sheriff that, during its investigation work, has found that even Ylenia Carrisi, in the last months before his death (when he was in New Orleans) called himself well. The comparison of the sketch of the victim of Jesperson and photos of Ylenia, whose resemblance is undeniable, would rise to speculation that the victim of the truck driver.

A week ago the police provincial command of Brindisi, mandated by Interpol, have taken DNA samples of Al Bano and children Yari, Cristel and Romina Junior. Do the same for Ylenia's mother, Romina Power, which in those days was in New York. As confirmed by the provincial command of the police in Brindisi, everything has been sent to the Ris of Rome for analysis. The results have already been submitted - through Interpol - to American investigators, which is in charge of the data comparison. Nothing on withdrawals has been leaked in recent days. Just Sunday Al Bano had spoken of his daughter Ylenia, interviewed by Massimo Giletti Arena. "It 's always yesterday when talking about Ylenia. They are those wounds that nothing and no one can mend" he said. Then the commotion. Inevitable. And the request to the driver: "Please, let's stop talking about another five minutes then just because I can do it".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...D-composite-image-help-identify-Jane-Doe.html

FlandersFields, Kimster and spike like this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.today.it/gossip/lettera-romina-power-silenzio-stampa-figlia-ylenia.html

Romina Power has requested a ''media blackout'' regarding her Daughter Ylenia.

"Dear press, I go back to Italy to remain paralyzed in front of a newsstand." Thus begins the open letter to the press written by Romina Power, about the latest rumors related to the disappearance of her daughter Ylenia.

The singer demands a halt to speculation about the death of her daughter: "Just speculation! Enough activities! A mother asks, indeed imposes news blackout. For my daughter, my Ylenia Carrisi. Enough!".

The outburst of the mother continues: "There are so many misfortunes in the world every day but, consciously speculate on other people's pain, I find the greatest baseness. It gives for sure what it is, just to make the vulgar sensationalism, just to sell and earn some dirty money. Who fills the 'news' will also have a family, he will have a bit too' empathy, how do you not have more heart? A heart for a family that suffers for years."

8. spike

spike Bronze Member

This entire story makes me tremble with fear.
    The kind of crimes that occurred/occur in New Orleans are off the charts...most especially during the time frame when
    Ylenia disappeared.
    The local government was so corrupt and the city was lawless.

My first week there, searching for a place to rent, a Tulane coed was taken in broad daylight, downtown in rush hour traffic.
    She was tortured for four days, raped, stabbed and shot and dumped in a swamp. Her killers were photographed with her at various ATM machines yet never caught.

Tulane students and career women in the downtown area were constant prey for these savages...still are.

I remember walking in the French Quarter and seeing an old truck with a teddy bear stuck in the front headlight hole where a headlight was missing.
    It was a metaphor for the lawlessness of New Orleans.

I don't think this will ever be solved.
    I hope I'm wrong.

9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I have always found it interesting that her family didn't receive a ransom demand and a body was never found. Both of her parents are celebrities and her grandfather was Tyrone Power, the heart throb of America. Ylenia was a free spirit and the family had a lot of money. She had been hanging around New Orleans with a semi-homeless older man who she had met on a previous trip to New Orleans. I wonder if he sold her into trafficking. There was a report that he was using her money and he stayed in her hotel room after she was gone, but they were never able to charge him with anything connected to Ylenia. The story about jumping in the Mississippi River seems pretty crazy to me. Ylenia's father doesn't believe she jumped in the water. She would have been a very good way for someone to pay off a drug debt in exchange for a beautiful trafficked woman. Drug dealers and traffickers are sometimes one in the same. They are the two most profitable businesses, now. Women who are trafficked are not always victims of stranger abductions. Many times they are victims of family, friends, step-parents, boy friends, etc. who have debts to settle.

10. spike

spike Bronze Member

BINGO Akoya.

FlandersFields, DaisyChains and Akoya like this.
  11. Kimster

Kimster Administrator Staff Member

I've never heard of this case before! I'm headed to the pillows tonight and want to revisit this one soon.

12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Ylenia Maria Sole Carrisi disappeared under mysterious circumstances while visiting New Orleans, Louisiana, on January 6, 1994. Ylenia was traveling during a study break. She stayed at Le'Dale Hotel, 749 Charles Street in the French Quarter, at the time of her disappearance. She stayed at the hotel with Alaxander Masakela, a 54-year old African-American street musician she had met during a visit to New Orleans, the previous summer. According to the hotel, Ylenia left, without her personal belongings, at noon on January 6th and never returned. She left behind her backpack, notebooks, and passport. The musician remained at the hotel until he checked out on January 14th and tried to pay the bill using traveler's checks made payable to Ylenia Carrisi. The hotel is now closed. Masakela was arrested on January 31 on an unrelated charge, but he was eventually released for lack of evidence connecting him to Ylenia's disappearance.

On January 30, a security guard at the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas reported that he saw a woman vaguely matching Ylenia's description jump into the Mississippi River saying, "I belong into water". A Coast Guard search turned up no sign of the young woman's body. It has never been established that the woman was Carrisi, or if there was a woman. Carrisi's parents last heard from their daughter on New Year's Eve. They reported her missing on January 18th. Her mother believes she's still alive.

Le 'Dale at 749 Charles Street in the French Quarter, New Orleans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aquarium of the Americas

[​IMG]

14. Kimster

Masakela didn't report her missing, correct?

15. spike

spike Bronze Member

It isn't mentioned above and he was reportedly living on her money and credit cards.
    Also....the hotel and the area of St. Charles St. where it was is very dangerous and crime ridden.

16. Kimster

Hinky. I wonder what his other relationships have been like.

17. spike

spike Bronze Member

I cannot imagine.

FlandersFields, DaisyChains and Akoya like this.
  18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

No, he didn't file any reports. I think he had something to do with her disappearance and he probably knows exactly what happened to her.

Ylenia grew up in Italy where her parents were recording stars. Her grandparents were well known American movie stars. Ylenia was a student at the University of London where she was studying to be a writer/journalist. She was fluent in several languages. Her trip to Belize and Mexico in December, and the trip to New Orleans in January were in search of material for a novel she was planning to write. She wanted to write about the street life in New Orleans and that is no doubt why she chose the Le'Dale Hotel.

Ylenia had met Alaxander Masakala the previous summer when her family visited New Orleans and Florida. She connected with him because she wanted information about his lifestyle for her novel. Reportedly, the room where she was staying had single beds and she claimed there was no romantic relationship between them. It sounds like she was studying him for information.

On January 6th, Ylenia disappeared at about noon. Alaxander Masakala made no attempt to alert anyone that she was gone. He continued to stay in her room and when he checked out of the hotel on January 14th, he attempted to pay with traveler's checks endorsed by Ylenia.

In late January, police found Masakela on the street and brought him in for questioning. The police arranged for a confrontation with Masakala and Ylenia's father. Masakala claims he has no knowledge of anything that happened to Ylenia. A few days later, Masakala was arrested again on old charges of rape from an old girlfriend. Masakala claims that he was setup. The charges were dismissed in March and Masakala, who is Jamaican, is no longer in the area. The rundown hotel was sold and it has been renovated.

Ylenia's parents are now divorced. They don't believe she jumped into the river near the aquarium. Ylenia's mother believes she is still alive.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    FlandersFields, DaisyChains and spike like this.
  19. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I think he knows exactly what happened.

20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member