1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

ZODIAC KILLER: Updates and Continuing Discussions

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jan 17, 2017.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

I am currently listening to the audiobook "Zodiac" by Robert Graysmith, so I wanted to start a thread to start some discussion. I'm familiar with the case, but not done with the book yet. I know people have mentioned this case in the "Crimes that just do your head in..." thread (http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?threads/crimes-that-just-do-your-head-in.2978)

[​IMG]

The Zodiac Killer was a serial killer who operated in northern California in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The killer's identity remains unknown. The Zodiac murdered victims in Benicia, Vallejo, Lake Berryessa, and San Francisco between December 1968 and October 1969. Four men and three women between the ages of 16 and 29 were targeted. The killer originated the name "Zodiac" in a series of taunting letters sent to the local Bay Area press. These letters included four cryptograms (or ciphers). Of the four cryptograms sent, only one has been definitively solved.

Suspects have been named by law enforcement and amateur investigators, but no conclusive evidence has surfaced. The San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) marked the case "inactive" in April 2004, but re-opened it at some point prior to March 2007. The case also remains open in the city of Vallejo, as well as in Napa County and Solano County. The California Department of Justice has maintained an open case file on the Zodiac murders since 1969.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer

2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

VICTIMS

Although the Zodiac claimed 37 murders in letters to the newspapers, investigators agree on only seven confirmed victims, two of whom survived.

David Arthur Faraday, 17, and Betty Lou Jensen, 16: shot and killed on December 20, 1968, on Lake Herman Road, within the city limits of Benicia.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Michael Renault Mageau, 19, and Darlene Elizabeth Ferrin, 22: shot on July 4, 1969, in the parking lot of Blue Rock Springs Park in Vallejo. Mageau survived the attack. Ferrin was pronounced dead on arrival at Kaiser Foundation Hospital.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Bryan Calvin Hartnell, 20, and Cecelia Ann Shepard, 22: stabbed on September 27, 1969, at Lake Berryessa in Napa County. Hartnell survived eight stab wounds to the back, but Shepard died as a result of her injuries on September 29, 1969.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Paul Lee Stine, 29: shot and killed on October 11, 1969, in the Presidio Heights neighborhood in San Francisco

[​IMG]

SUSPECTED VICTIMS

Robert Domingos, 18, and Linda Edwards, 17: shot and killed on June 4, 1963, on a beach near Gaviota.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheri Jo Bates, 18: stabbed to death and nearly decapitated on October 30, 1966, at Riverside City College in Riverside.

[​IMG]

Donna Lass, 25: last seen September 6, 1970, in
    Stateline, Nevada. A postcard with an advertisement from Forest Pines condominiums (near Incline Village at Lake Tahoe) pasted on the back was received at the Chronicle on March 22, 1971, and has been interpreted as the Zodiac claiming Lass's disappearance as a victim. No evidence has been uncovered to connect Lass's disappearance with the Zodiac Killer definitively.

[​IMG]

Kathleen Johns, 22: allegedly abducted on March 22, 1970, on Highway 132 near I-580, in an area west of
    Modesto. Johns escaped from the car of a man who drove her and her infant daughter around the area between Stockton and Patterson for approximately 1½ hours.

[​IMG]

http://www.zodiackiller.com/Victims.html

Uno2Much, spike and Ladyslug like this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

KNOWN SUSPECTS

Richard Gaikowski

In a 2009, an episode of the History Channel television series MysteryQuest looked at newspaper editor Richard Gaikowski (1936–2004). During the time of the murders, Gaikowski worked for Good Times, a San Francisco counterculture newspaper. His appearance resembles the composite sketch, and Nancy Slover, the Vallejo police dispatcher who was contacted by the Zodiac shortly after the Blue Rock Springs Attack, has identified a recording of Gaikowski's voice as being the same as the Zodiac's.

[​IMG]

Arthur Leigh Allen

Robert Graysmith's book Zodiac advanced Arthur Leigh Allen as a suspect based on circumstantial evidence. A letter sent to the Riverside Police Department from Bates' killer was typed with a Royal typewriter with an Elite type, the same brand found during a February 1991 search of Allen's residence. He owned and wore a Zodiac brand wristwatch. Allen lived in Vallejo and worked minutes away from where one of the first victims (Ferrin) lived and where one of the killings took place. In 2002, SFPD developed a partial DNA profile from the saliva on stamps and envelopes of Zodiac's letters. SFPD compared this partial DNA to the DNA of Arthur Leigh Allen. A DNA comparison was also made with the DNA of Don Cheney, who was Allen's former close friend and the first person to suggest Allen may be the Zodiac Killer. Since neither test result indicated a match, Allen and Cheney were excluded as the contributors of the DNA, though it cannot be stated definitively that it is DNA from the Zodiac on the envelopes.

[​IMG]

Rick Marshall

Rick Marshall is still considered a strong Zodiac suspect by several investigators.
    Marshall's physical appearance and background match up very well with what is known (and assumed) about Zodiac.

[​IMG]

Lawrence Kane

Pam Huckaby, sister of Zodiac victim Darlene Ferrin, claims Kane followed Darlene in the months before her murder. Additionally, possible Zodiac victim Kathleen Johns identified Kane as her abductor.

[​IMG]

http://www.zodiackiller.com/Suspects.html

Takeitfromme, spike and Ladyslug like this.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I read a book about the Zodiac Killer decades ago. It gave me nightmares! Are you sleeping okay so far?

6. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

7. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Yep. The only issue is I just want to keep going with the book!

This is the one I'm reading (listening to). Audio books usually do help me sleep but this one I just want to keep listening.

Like the description said in your link, "This is so well-researched and detailed that its lead some readers to speculate whether or not Graysmith himself might be the Zodiac Killer".

The thought has crossed my mind several times.

[​IMG]

8. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Looking into some of the suspects that Graysmith mentions, and I've come across quite a few sources saying that Graysmith made up a lot of "facts" for his book. Supposedly in the effort to implicate his "favorite" suspect. And of course, sell books.

Also, there's a pretty active sub-Reddit about this case. https://www.reddit.com/r/ZodiacKiller/

9. Sailor Haumea

Sailor Haumea Active Member

10. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

Tuesday November 14th at 10pm on The History Channel is a show called "The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer" It's going to be a series where they examine new evidence. It looks interesting. I have it set up to record.

11. Cousin Dupree

https://www.tvinsider.com/649554/hunt-for-the-zodiac-killer-history-channel-bay-area/

'The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer' Is on in 5-Part History Docu-Series (VIDEO)
    Damian Holbrook November 13, 2017 1:00 pm

....Combining a cadre of law officials and code-breakers with a groundbreaking super-computer that has been programmed to think like a killer, Hunt looks at how the mystery madman's letters to the San Francisco press—loaded with crypotgrams— revealed the code Z340 and a plethora of potential clues.

Now, the files are being re-opened, new witnesses are stepping up and modern technology is doing its thing. And from the looks of this exclusive trailer for the series, there's a definite case for recording the entire series....

Takeitfromme, Kimster, spike and 2 others like this.
  12. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

I'd like to know,how it goes.I just have basic tv.Thank you

13. Cousin Dupree

Wow! Tonight's episode was cool. This Ross Sullivan guy looks really good as a suspect.

upload_2017-11-15_0-14-53.jpeg upload_2017-11-15_0-17-33.jpeg

14. Cousin Dupree

15. Sailor Haumea

Sailor Haumea Active Member

Ross Sullivan is someone that's always been an occasional suspect.

Mr. Sullivan died in 1977. His death certificate records that the cause of death was "extreme obesity".

16. Cousin Dupree

From this weeks show:

The Zodiac killer was linked to the Santa Barbara killings of Robert Domingos (18) and Linda Edwards (17) in Santa Barbara June 4th 1963. The ammo used in that killing and the murder of the first two "official" Zodiac killings, the killings of Bryan Hartnell and Cecelia Shepard in 1969, have been linked to the same lot of ammo. That ammo was only sold a nearby military base. The Zodiac also wore military boots to his killings. (The ones where boot prints were found at least.)

If Robert Domingos and Linda Edwards were killed by Zodiac then the first Zodiac killing took place in Santa Barbara five years before the first "officially" recognized Zodiac killings.

Takeitfromme, Uno2Much, spike and 2 others like this.
  17. Cousin Dupree

A woman named Kathy Johns and her infant daughter were kidnapped March 27th 1970 by a guy that she firmly believed was the Zodiac. He had disabled her car and then offered to help. He lured them into his car for two hours and she ultimately escaped by jumping out of the moving car with her baby. She identified a man named Lawrence Kane out of a lineup. He was never taken seriously as a suspect by police though. Kathy described him having a military look.

So far the team can't find any connections between their first suspect Ross Sullivan and the military. Lawrence Kane was in the Navy reserve and worked with the radio service materials school. There he was taught ciphering and deciphering Navy coded messages. He was also arrested for prowling one time and lived around the areas the Zodiac preyed.

18. Cousin Dupree

This is probably just a weird coincidence, but in 1967 the TV Show Batman ran an episode entitled "The Zodiac Crimes". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zodiac_Crimes

The first letter from The Zodiac was received in 1969. I wonder if there's any connection? :thinking:

19. Cousin Dupree

I also just ran ebeorietemethhpiti through the letter unscrambler http://grecni.com/texttwist.php?query

If someone wants to take the time to see what words can be made do it.

Unfortunately the link only takes you the homepage. You'll have to put the letters in yourself.

20. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

10 Bay Area cold cases that remain unsolved

Investigators are savoring last week’s capture of Joseph James DeAngelo, who they believe is the Golden State Killer and East Area Rapist responsible for 12 murders, at least 45 rapes and 150 burglaries across California from 1976 to 1986.

But Bay Area police agencies are still working on scores of high-profile unsolved murder cases. Here are 10 that still puzzle them.

The Zodiac

The Zodiac Killer targeted mainly young couples over at least a year starting in December 1968, killing four women and two men and injuring two others. His distinctive letters to the press gained him worldwide notoriety. His final letter to The Chronicle in 1974, praising the film “The Exorcist,” was the last anyone heard from him. The case remains open in several local jurisdictions.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/10-Bay-Area-cold-cases-that-remain-unsolved-12872249.php

Takeitfromme, Uno2Much and spike like this.