1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

ZODIAC KILLER: Updates and Continuing Discussions

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jan 17, 2017.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Vallejo police have sent Zodiac Killer DNA to a lab

Investigators searching for the Zodiac Killer have submitted evidence to a private DNA lab in the hopes of obtaining a genetic profile of one of California's most elusive criminals — then tracking him down using the same kind of family-tree tracing recently used in the East Area Rapist case.

Vallejo police Detective Terry Poyser, who has worked the Zodiac case for four years, said his agency has submitted two envelopes that contained letters from the Zodiac Killer for a type of advanced DNA analysis that previously had not been available in the case.

Poyser declined to identify the lab, but said it would attempt to obtain a full DNA profile from saliva on the envelope flap and stamps. He said he expected to have results back from the lab as soon as in the next few weeks, and almost certainly by summer.

"They were confident they would be able to get something off it," Poyser said.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article210320689.html

2. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

Why would they announce they are doing this? As I understand it, people can remove their DNA profiles from that site if they want.

3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like you're right. This is from 23andMe. I checked there because I submitted my DNA there. Other companies may be slightly different.
    People can request to have their information removed. But it can take up to 30 days. And any samples/info/data already being used in any studies or tests will not be removed. Their lab, which is not the company itself, can also retain some of the information.
    Now that people know the potential consequences of submitting DNA, some will probably remove it. But I honestly don't think it will make that big of a hit.

If you no longer wish to participate in our Services or no longer wish to have your personal information be used, you may close your account by sending a request to Customer Care. When closing an account, we remove all Genetic Information within your account (or profile) within thirty (30) days of our receipt of your request. As stated in any applicable Consent Document, however, Genetic Information and/or Self-Reported Information that you have previously provided and for which you have given consent to use in 23andMe Research cannot be removed from ongoing or completed studies that use the information. Our contracted genotyping laboratory may also retain your Genetic Information as required by local law and we may retain backup copies for a limited period of time pursuant to our data protection policies. In addition, we retain limited Registration Information related to your order history (e.g., name, contact, and transaction data) as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, as well as for accounting, audit and compliance purposes.

https://www.23andme.com/about/privacy/

4. spike

spike Bronze Member

Also consider that in DNA family chains, not everybody will have the same objections.
    While Uncle Harry requests to not participate, Aunt Phoebe is fine with it.

This has happened within my family of origin.
    One member wanted no part in DNA discoveries, yet others dug up ghosts in the closet, shall we say.

5. Cousin Dupree

Fixed that for you! :good:

I've seen some speculation that they are trying to see if GSK's DNA matches Zodiac's DNA.

6. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Twitter is a-buzz about this guy:

DgPNuYrUcAEXrsl.jpg large.jpg

I guess it has to do with this John Doe being identified. He'd stolen a young boy's identification:

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

Investigators said the man living under the name of Joseph Newton Chandler III was actually Robert Ivan Nichols.

Joseph Newton Chandler III true identity released... His real identity is Robert Ivan Nichols

— Cassie Nist (@cassienist) June 21, 2018
    Back in 2002 an unidentified person committed suicide in Eastlake, according to the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System said the man was living under the name of Joseph Newton Chandler III.

Investigators said they realized the man who committed suicide was not the real Chandler.

Authorities said the real Chandler was a 8-year-old boy who died in a traffic accident in Texas in 1945.

U.S. Marshals said Nichols was a World War II veteran and was a Purple Heart recipient from Indianapolis.

According to his family when he came home from the war he burned his uniform and moved to California in the 1960s.

In 1964 he got a divorce from his wife, U.S. Marshals said he told his wife and his kids he was leaving them.

Investigators said in 1965 his family reported him missing and never saw him again. His son last heard from him in 1965 when Nichols sent him a letter postmarked from Napa, CA.

U.S. Marshals said Nichols lived under his real name, Nichols, until 1976 and assumed the identity of Chandler, a Texas child, in 1978 when he began working in Ohio until his death.

He lived in Eastlake until his suicide in July of 2002.

Nichols left behind $82,000 in a bank account with no next of kin.

U.S. Marshals are now trying to figure out why he stole the Chandler identity.

What the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System knows about Nichols:

7. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

Thanks for the update Kimster. I knew he'd stolen the boys ID but I didn't know his case was solved.

I hope they are able to ID the woman in the well soon. I think DNA Does are working on her case now.

8. Jason Futch

Jason Futch The King of the Highway

Wondering if there has been any updates on the Chandler/Zodiac connection or whether or not the DNA testing has concluded from the extraction of the postage stamp on one of the Zodiac letters.

9. Cousin Dupree

Nah, it will probably be a few weeks before they get a better DNA report back.

Uno2Much, spike and Takeitfromme like this.
  10. Takeitfromme

Takeitfromme Professional Journalist/News Reporter

The docu series is available on my on demand cable. Time to start binge watching.

Uno2Much, Cousin Dupree and spike like this.
  11. Takeitfromme

I tried to nap and listen to the shows.... nap didnt happen and now i am grumpy lol. But I will say this docuseries is great

12. Cousin Dupree

What's the name?

Uno2Much and spike like this.
  13. Takeitfromme

Its on the history channel called Zodiac Killer there are 5 episodes

Uno2Much, spike and Cousin Dupree like this.
  14. Takeitfromme

Gives a whole new perspective on the zodiac suspects

15. Cousin Dupree

I think I saw that now that you mention it. It's not being shown here now. I just checked.

Uno2Much, Takeitfromme and spike like this.
  16. Takeitfromme

I have comcast but anyway i am binge watching again.... these detectives and their team did great work on this case

17. Cousin Dupree

Yeah, I remember that. They really go in depth.

Uno2Much and spike like this.
  18. Takeitfromme

Actually I am excited to hear this.
    The lab is privately owned and funded. They are Parabon Nanolabs. Their technology beats any law enforcement lab. They can actually get a composite sketch from a dna sample. It gives ethnic background, hair and eye color I could go on and on. I am actually trying to push the detectives on my friend Melissa's case to submit samples to them or see how it could be paid for or whatever. Her case hits the 30 year mark in September.... 30 years unsolved:vigil:

19. Cousin Dupree

Start a ******** account.

Uno2Much, spike and Takeitfromme like this.
  20. Takeitfromme

Im not sure that police depts can accept donations that way. They can accept monetary donations for k9's as long as said donation is approved by board of selectmen or city council. I will try to find out.

Uno2Much, Cousin Dupree and spike like this.