TN SEQUOIA SAMUELS: Missing from Memphis, TN - 15 June 2023 - Age 4 *Found Deceased*

1686847781989.png

4-year-old girl missing from home; front door found open​

Memphis Police Department is searching for a missing child.

Saquoia Samuels, 4, was reported missing Thursday morning.

Police issued a city watch at 7:55 a.m. after parents say they woke up to find the front door of their home open and Saquoia missing.

Police say they are reviewing footage from a neighbor’s doorbell camera that shows her leaving the home and walking by herself around 3 a.m.

There are also drones in the area searching for the girl.

By Ben Wheeler, Daily Memphian
Updated: June 16, 2023 10:31 AM CT |

Jaylon Hobson, the boyfriend of missing 4-year-old Sequoia Samuels’ mother, was arrested in May for two felony charges prior to being arrested Friday.

Hobson, along with Samuels’ mother Brittney Jackson, were found in the Chickasaw Place apartments in May with two other adults and were stopped by security.

The apartment complex is on the District Attorney’s office Safe Place list. The four adults were found to have six guns in a vehicle.

Hobson was charged with criminal trespass, possession of marijuana— and two prohibited weapon charges — one for having an automatic switch and one for having a 3D-printed ghost gun.

The Daily Memphian matched birth dates of Jaylon Hobson to the arrest records in the Criminal Justice System Portal.

He was released on his own recognizance last month and was due back in court June 21.
What in the heck is a DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S safe place list? Is it a domestic abuse shelter? Or a place for people in a program trying to get off drugs or alcohol or what? Never heard of such a thing.

Real winner he is then. Not. And she was with him but wasn't charged?

Soooo, LE straight up lied to the public about her being seen on surveillance leaving her home on foot.
How in the hell would that have helped in the search? Her mom would have KNOWN they were lying. The public did not and were looking for a lost little girl.

ETA: And the neighbor who said they saw her that night with a man. Ugh.
What the heck!?! To tell such epic lies to the public shouldn't be allowed, they were putting in some real effort to find her. This is a curious case.

By Myracle Evans
Published: Jun. 16, 2023 at 12:20 PM EDT|
Updated: 6 minutes ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - The affidavit gives details about the death of 4-year-old Sequoia Samuels.

According to the affidavit, the mother, Brittney Jackson told police her boyfriend, Jaylon Hobson physically attacked Samuels several weeks ago and that the child became unresponsive.

Jackson told police Hobson tried to revive Samuels but she never regained consciousness, and Jackson did not try to help her child.

The affidavit states Hobson placed the child’s body in several garbage bags and stored the body in the house until June 15.

Jackson confessed that the 4-year-old was dumped in the garbage container outside of the apartment.

The mother identified the garbage containers when police showed her pictures.

According to police, Hobson said he last saw Samuels on June 11, but police say that is “impossible” due to advance state of the body’s decomposition.

After police searched the home on Caldwell Avenue, they found the child’s remains in the bin.

On June 15, the mother made a false report of the disappearance of her child, said police.

The mother says she put Samuels to sleep and fell asleep on the couch at 11:45 p.m.

Jackson said she woke up to charge her phone and received a text from a family member that her front door was open.

She says she checked the room where the children were sleeping and found the 4-year-old missing.

This is when Memphis Police Department made the scene and issued a City Watch which led to a state and federal investigation.

Soooo, LE straight up lied to the public about her being seen on surveillance leaving her home on foot.
How in the hell would that have helped in the search? Her mom would have KNOWN they were lying. The public did not and were looking for a lost little girl.

ETA: And the neighbor who said they saw her that night with a man. Ugh.
I was wondering the exact same thing.

Thought it was odd they found her around midnight. I wondered if someone spilled or it was a tip...

I also wondered throughout about this CAMERA footage so what is the deal with that or the truth? It NEVER fit nor did the whatever he was called, the influencer guy and sex offender remark.

Did LE lie or did the neighbor? Wasn't it a neighbor that said she had footage and a neighbor that claimed to have seen her with a black man?

I think LE did say there was footage or had they just repeated what the neighbor said...?

THIS fits exactly what the case sounded like at the outset and the camera footage, sex offender, her walking with a black man didn't fit.

Did she have a neighbor who tried to help her? Was it a family member?

Because in her story she claimed a family member informed her her door was open so family lives nearby...

the remark that the killer, the bf, tried to revive the child but mom never tried disgusts me. They both do.

Thought it was odd they found her around midnight. I wondered if someone spilled or it was a tip...
Jackson confessed that the 4-year-old was dumped in the garbage container outside of the apartment.

After police searched the home on Caldwell Avenue, they found the child’s remains in the bin.

Did LE lie or did the neighbor? Wasn't it a neighbor that said she had footage and a neighbor that claimed to have seen her with a black man?
Different neighbors, I think.
But LE absolutely lied. They wouldn't have said that she was seen on video footage based on a neighbor's word. They would have confirmed it and looked at the footage themselves. At least, a competent LE department would.

But LE absolutely lied. They wouldn't have said that she was seen on video footage based on a neighbor's word. They would have confirmed it and looked at the footage themselves. At least, a competent LE department would.
I don't understand their reasoning one little bit.

<snip>

FOX13 is continuing to push Memphis Police for answers in this case. On the day the 4-year-old was reported missing, MPD said that a camera last showed the girl on Caldwell Avenue around 3 a.m. on June 15.

FOX13 wanted to know more about the claims that Sequoia had been beaten at home and learn more about her home life. We reached out to DCS to find out if there had been any previous investigation regarding Sequoia.

DCS told FOX13, "The Department can confirm that an investigation has commenced in this case."

‘Unimaginable’: Family in shock after child’s remains found​

Family members of Sequoia are left with many questions after learning the child’s mother allegedly had a role in Sequoia’s death.

Carolyn Bishop, the victim’s great aunt, says the apartment complex Sequoia lived in is filled with family members who would’ve been more than happy to provide assistance to Jackson if she asked for it.

“It’s unimaginable. I couldn’t fathom why she just didn’t say, ‘Aunt Carolyn, it’s over,'” Bishop said. “If I could’ve done anything, anything to have that baby still here, I would’ve done it.”

Sequoia was reported missing Thursday morning. According to reports, her mother, Brittany Jackson, initially told police when she woke up that morning, she found her front door open and her daughter missing.

Bishop said family and community members came together to try to find the child.

“We were over in that area back there and I said, ‘Brittney, have you called the police?’ And she said ‘No, ma’am,’ and she called them,” Bishop said.

Family says Sequoia was born prematurely and had special needs. They say Jackson also has a second child. who is safe.

I know she confessed and told them where she was, I just meant that yes before we knew that I wondered about the midnight finding, thinking they wouldn't generally be searching then so it made perfect sense once we heard she told them.

LE lying about that I really have to think about. As you or someone said, the parent and bf would know they were lying if they knew her to be dead so I'm trying to figure what their reasoning would be. I could see them doing that to make it look as if they believed a story by parents but the parents would know in this case so that doesn't make sense. I though of if the neighbor claimed she saw such on her video but then claimed it was deleted, etc. but you are right in that they shouldn't say something unconfirmed. Maybe they were worried about other children in the home but again doesn't make sense as the couple would have to know it wasn't true... I hope they explain their reasoning. I'm not going to come down on them yet as they did find the child and got a confession but it is definitely questionable why they claimed such and I'd like to hear their explanation.

Family member says she reached out to DCS ‘multiple times’ before death of 4-year-old Sequoia Samuels​

A family member who does not want to be identified said she reached out to the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services multiple times before Samuels’ death.

“Yes, the abuse took place, but the abuse went overboard,” said the cousin.

She says her reports of child abuse were not properly investigated.

“They didn’t ask for photos, they didn’t ask for videos, they didn’t ask for any type of evidence. They didn’t ask me for anything,” said Samuels’ cousin.

According to her, little Sequoia was born prematurely with hard lungs and special needs and was placed on a feeding tube.

The cousin claims she would see Samuels’ mother get upset when the four-year-old didn’t catch on.

“She had bruises on her back, bruises on the upper arm, bruises. Her feet used to be black,” said Samuels’ cousin.

The cousin says she pleaded with Jackson multiple times for custody.

“I told her that I would take the child, that would not have been a problem, and like I said, I explained to her when she does come into my custody, her check would have to be transferred over to me because I have to provide her needs also as well as all the things,” she said. “She disregarded and said, ‘That’s okay,’ but the bruises and stuff continued.”

DCS officials could not provide any specifics on past reports about Sequoia Samuels.

Family member says she reached out to DCS ‘multiple times’ before death of 4-year-old Sequoia Samuels​

A family member who does not want to be identified said she reached out to the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services multiple times before Samuels’ death.

“Yes, the abuse took place, but the abuse went overboard,” said the cousin.

She says her reports of child abuse were not properly investigated.

“They didn’t ask for photos, they didn’t ask for videos, they didn’t ask for any type of evidence. They didn’t ask me for anything,” said Samuels’ cousin.

According to her, little Sequoia was born prematurely with hard lungs and special needs and was placed on a feeding tube.

The cousin claims she would see Samuels’ mother get upset when the four-year-old didn’t catch on.

“She had bruises on her back, bruises on the upper arm, bruises. Her feet used to be black,” said Samuels’ cousin.

The cousin says she pleaded with Jackson multiple times for custody.

“I told her that I would take the child, that would not have been a problem, and like I said, I explained to her when she does come into my custody, her check would have to be transferred over to me because I have to provide her needs also as well as all the things,” she said. “She disregarded and said, ‘That’s okay,’ but the bruises and stuff continued.”

DCS officials could not provide any specifics on past reports about Sequoia Samuels.
She isn't going to hand over her check and benefits. Had someone taken her but told her they would give her the check back each month and they'd do it all under the radar, she'd have probably gladly accepted.

SAD. Hearing these details. Awful.

Not a bit surprised though. Again sadly.

By Amanda Hanson
Published: Jun. 17, 2023 at 10:23 AM EDT
|Updated: 4 hours ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - A balloon release is happening Saturday, June 17 to honor the life of 4-year-old Sequioa Samuels after her body was found Friday near the apartment where she lived.

It will happen on Caldwell Avenue in North Memphis at 4 p.m.

Those planning to attend are encouraged to bring pink, silver, or white balloons.

What a sweetheart. She looks pretty healthy at that point other than of course we know she had a feeding tube.

Not sure of the reason here but I had a good friend who had a child born without an esophagus and so a tube was necessary for some of his younger years where he had a few surgeries over time and then they had to allow time and do another, etc. I do remember them having to stretch what they used, etc I don't remember ever detail. But other than that he was healthy and happy. Of course she had to tube feed him and deal with all that entailed but normal in every other way. This child looks healthy and normal as well but has a tube for some reason.

I do wonder what she looked like in more recent months though...

So tragic. And seeing her happy and having fun here just makes it even more real and sad.

Both suspects in 4-year-old Sequoia Samuels’ death eligible for bond​

Records show that Brittney Jackson, the mother of four-year-old Sequoia Samuels, and her boyfriend Jaylon Hobson are both eligible for bond after the child’s remains were found in a trash bin Thursday night.

Jackson is charged with aggravated child neglect, abuse of a corpse, and false offense reporting.

Hobson faces one count of false offense reporting.

Jackson’s bond amount is listed as $500,000; Hobson’s is listed as $50,000.

Jackson’s immediate family told Action News 5 they’re unsure whether they will help her bond out of jail, but they do say they’re going to be in attendance when she and Hobson are arraigned at 201 Poplar at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

According to the Memphis Police Department, there have been no charges filed at this point for the murder of the four-year-old girl.

Both suspects in 4-year-old Sequoia Samuels’ death eligible for bond​

Records show that Brittney Jackson, the mother of four-year-old Sequoia Samuels, and her boyfriend Jaylon Hobson are both eligible for bond after the child’s remains were found in a trash bin Thursday night.

Jackson is charged with aggravated child neglect, abuse of a corpse, and false offense reporting.

Hobson faces one count of false offense reporting.

Jackson’s bond amount is listed as $500,000; Hobson’s is listed as $50,000.

Jackson’s immediate family told Action News 5 they’re unsure whether they will help her bond out of jail, but they do say they’re going to be in attendance when she and Hobson are arraigned at 201 Poplar at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

According to the Memphis Police Department, there have been no charges filed at this point for the murder of the four-year-old girl.
I don't know that I've ever seen "no bond " in Wisconsin so forget that.

What's with this $50K garbage? Of course I've seen less let me tell ya. Our case for instance, and others. $500K is actually quite high. WHY is his so low? Isn't he the attacker??? But then I guess that comes from her...

I don't know that I've ever seen "no bond " in Wisconsin so forget that.

What's with this $50K garbage? Of course I've seen less let me tell ya. Our case for instance, and others. $500K is actually quite high. WHY is his so low? Isn't he the attacker??? But then I guess that comes from her...
Because as of right now, his only charge is “false reporting”. Probably a limit for bond on that. This will change when they are able to file murder charges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phillip
Back
Top Bottom