LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Also interesting. Most seem very caricaturist and I guess many do have that quality sometimes but I think the adding of color maybe and then the scale seems pretty off. It makes them seem cartoonish which, I don't know, just doesn't fit the air of seriousness of a murder trial. I guess they are adequate and the person could well be self appointed and just attending.
I honestly thought it was a joke when I saw the first picture. Turns out, she's an actual artist. I feel kind of bad for her because she's taking a beating on Twitter.

Thank you for showing it. Yeah that's not very good, Not very impressed. I guess it's meant to be showing RA looking constantly at his wife and mom. They make it look as if he's in the same row as them and we know that's not the case. I guess he's meant to be slightly ahead looking back.

So not only do we not have video, we have a not very good sketch artist lol. I wonder if they are allowed to sketch witnesses on the stand... Knowing Gull, probably not even though it would be typical to usually do so...
Yeah and it took her a day and a half to do that one sketch. It doesnt even look like RA but some teenager.

ETA actually, now i know she has done quite a few sketches in the day and a half, then that is fair enough. They are difficult to recognise though. I haven't seen Baldwin in any of the sketches AFAIK LOL.

Last edited:
I honestly thought it was a joke when I saw the first picture. Turns out, she's an actual artist. I feel kind of bad for her because she's taking a beating on Twitter.
I don't know any of that but I'm not surprised people would be going at it just because it isn't the normal of what they expect for a courtroom sketch. I said as much here too but I can take it as it is honestly. I did see there was a company artist kind of name or she is from or has a company. And honestly in the one I could tell it was Becky Patty, and I'd say the first one I knew it was RA but only because of the glasses on head and things we've read, not because it even was clear that he was at a defense table because it was not clear.

That last picture on yours, all three women look squat/short and I almost remarked but didn't because perhaps they are and don't want to insult but it again was cartoonist because of the proportion and color.

I mean many a sketch artist isn't necesarily the top, have all the time in the world type artist, who has someone posing for them for days (they don't) to get everything pierfect about their face, etc. And I get that.

And can feel a bit bad for her as well. I guess like with the first one Tresir put up, I thought we were going to see more of an actual courtroom sketch and they all look like they are sitting shoulder to shoulder in the same row and again, there has to be at least a bit of space in between the defense table and the gallery no? Of course from her angle, it could very well appear this way and she drew what she saw from her position.

I'm not going to keep criticizing especially if she is really taking a beating, I'm not that hard on it. Heck it's more than we've got isn't it? I think the last courtroom sketches I ever saw were from the Ghislaine Maxwell trial and I'd say they were pretty good. Federal never has cameras (and I entirely disagree with this) and all there ever is a sketch artist but they seem to be pretty good and maybe that's just more what most of us are used to. And while I thought black and white was archaic, now seeing this colored one that do seem pretty caricaturist, a bit put together, the drawings and colors and lack of proportion (and I'm no artist believe me), I realize maybe black and white is the way to stay...

I guess I was just expecting more of an actual space and proportion thing, etc.

Believe me, I'm not going to keep on it, and do feel bad for her if people are carrying it too far out there. It isn't going to make or break anything in the trial after all...

Now if there was LIVE video or cameras, this would just be an add on and maybe even a bit not humorous necessarily but an atttendee's perspective and an add on and one who just happens to be an artist who did a bit of a different rendering of what she saw.

One last thing, I do wonder, the expression on Diener with Kelsi at the map looks stern or angry, or am I just taking it that way or this is her normal countenance perhaps. It bites we can't get real context or see a thing or be able to get an impression of all.

I'm done picking on the artist, was just giving my initial impressions. and wasn't picking, it was just what I thought. And I do wonder about a few things like Diener's expression? And can see clearly who a few are meant to be.

Finally they only get the view they get, and o get up and face people when court is in session and so on is NOT going to happen imo. I'm wondering how she got the one of the three women on the bench. Was this during a recess and they just stayed put...?

I also appreciate you providing all of them. I hadn't seen any but now for you and Tresir.

Trying to figure out how to post these. Bear with me.

Thanks. I was able to see all of them. I don't think some of them will be happy with the sketches. Mike and Becky sketches look nothing like them IMO. So what's with the glasses on RA's head? Do you think he is trying to change his look?

Yeah and it took her a day and a half to do that one sketch. It doesnt even look like RA but some teenager.
Well that's a perspective I hadn't had but guess never thought about that. You mean the first one you posted?

I don't think she is going to affect anything or I'd sure hope not because it's simply someone's attempt to capture I guess what they don't get to see for more than seconds. I mean she doesn't have RA posing for her in a studio all day. she probably sees him turn around once or twice for a bit and has to recall the face and expression and then get it down over time. I'm no artist but I know some very artistic and talented people and there's those that can do quick but maybe not like you've sat for one of some major reputation and those that take their time or if they want to get something out and fast, it isn't going to be he same.

I can't really comment to any ability. My people are still stick figures as one would have drawn in kindergarten. Seriously. Well I might have learned to throw a shirt and pants on them but the stick body would still show through... I have a child that has talent well beyond many but all she does is have to spend major time on anything as she wants perfection... That's kind of sidetracking but what I mean is she makes the most beautiful Christmas ornaments with cardinals, deer you name it but she'd never get many out because each one has to be perfect and hand done. Just one example of many. She could sell TONS of them each year if she really wanted to but could spend all season on just one set because she wants everything she does to be like the best of the best. Her average is BEYOND.

Nothing to really do with the sketch artist but just saying it isn't like the person has a seat where she can see all or anyone poses for her for a time. I'm assuming she is not the "court" sketch artist??? Guess I don't know. And I doubt Gull is allowing her to run around the sides of the courtroom to sit and sketch from the floor looking gat defendant's table or anything and sitting up from.

So I don't think it's the biggest deal I guess is what I mean and I don't think it really adds anything for any of us, but doesn't hurt either. Just giving her perspective I guess. And is present.

Hey I haven't seen a better one step up, show up or get anything out any quicker right?

A bit of an aside, but been watching Tom and he's already admitted in reading his notes on a witness, he wasn't paying attn to the right things. He has the notes but he was watching RA instead lol... And that's the challenge here with the lack of recording. I can put Tom on and try to listen but then I come here to post while listening and guess what I don't take in what he's saying even though I'm hearing it while trying to post here and I go back and back it up 15 times. I can't multi do that these days. I used to be able to. Then be at a trial where you likely want to see the family reactions on all sides, watch the defense, the defendant but also listen to the witness...

I'm definitely repeating myself but she could have allowed SOMETHING. HOW about their OWN damned voice recording all day that isn't internet tied with a copy given to all reporters each day end? It goes too far. Imo.

Thanks. I was able to see all of them. I don't think some of them will be happy with the sketches. Mike and Becky sketches look nothing like them IMO. So what's with the glasses on RA's head? Do you think he is trying to change his look?
I've seen glasses reported in a few things. Sometimes on, and other times on top of head. I definitely think it's a look change but perhaps he used to have contacts or something and can't get them now in jail.

BUT in all hearings I've never heard one report of glasses nor seen such when they did have pics.

We really have nothing that's gotten into the meat of things yet and I suspect while they will still matter this coming week, our focus isn't going to be on he artist or the glasses on RA. Of course he's dressed in collared shirts, glasses, etc. And I'm a bit pizzed and upset about he and wife shaking their heads furiously. Don't get me wrong, if you uare wrongly accused and you feel you are listening to a lie, it's hard i'm sure not to want to do (not that I think that's the case, but just saying) and of course for them what can it wreck? Where a victim family member would love to vehemently shake their head, roll their eyes, glare at both the D and their client at times, guaranteed, BUT you don't WANT the trial derailed. You'd even like to outburst.

That probably ticks me off the worst of anything yet.

And seriously who is going to testify and show that RA was not on the bridge that day.... Whoever and whatever it is was not enough they ever tried for a dismiall on grouns of an alibi with solid proof and wtinesses. NOT ONCE in all this time. NOR with all their sharing and alleging have they ever shown who or what they have to say have they...

Okay, Tom has a LOT more detail than I've read in links on what Baldwin asked Pat Brown. I'm going to hope I can for the length of this possibly month long trial, catch his and read the better ones here and there sure are some. I can't always even watch a live trial and all of it a lot of times but the ones I care about I do try when I get the time to watch a lot of key ones. I did in Daybell. When not live you can NEVER glean all, but when live even if you can't watch it live you still can't see all reporters don't have room or time to cover, BUT they or you can always go back and see it or listen to see what if anything was missed.

If I ever get to retire in this lifetime I am going to be watching a lot of archived witnesses etc. and trials but this clearly is not going to be one of them.

Finally, all had better be accessible after trial. Even with appeals, there is no excuse for anything to be sealed any longer other than maybe autopsy photos for obvious reasons. I even think by consititution they should probably be available but I don't have a problem with NOT doing that.

What I mean is after verdict, all should be able to be FOIA'ed. Every exhibit, every interview, every recording.

One example of a few is Baldwin asked Pat Brown so you had phone service there (near the bodies). Answer yes, I did. Long pause by Baldwin. Tom figures and makes perfect sense to make all wonder why Libby's phone wouldn't have (but they haven't even gotten to that to the jury have they yet?). I think some accounts touched on jurors asking what cell phone provider he had in the links here but I don't think the detail of Baldwin's questions were given (and this is just one).

I'm like so what.... I had a rural place and I can tell you the difference in my provider and my daughters and others. Mine was almost always GREAT, no one else's ever was. Plus the phone was under Abby's body so whateeeevvvver...

Anyhow, B needs to realize too this then can be shown can't it, that this call was really made by Pat Brown.

Just saying Tom's got a bit more detail than I've read. More too about LE, where they were, just at the scene, any out in the woods, did they have guns (of course LE has guns but we know the point there)...

Nothing gaining anything imo but thee is more detail and more mof the questions asked shared.

A lot more actually, even with other ones.

I am pretty positive I also read every link here in full so this is an informed opinion. Sometimes I can't read all of them nor have the time but I think since this has started I have read them all so I know some of what Tom is relaying I never read or heard.

Again no big ahas but D asked more questions than i'd have thought and for obviousi reasons. Which truly the answers to are no real surprise either. His phone worked, some didn't, depending on where at in woods or search. Etc. LE and guns. Well yah. Did anyone get one out... Reaching imo. But then, they gotta try.

Okay. Since I'm still listening I am going to add another thing. Baldwin asked about wildlife and things like turkey buzzards, etc. P objected to relevance. Not much more clearer on that but in my opinion no biggie.

The Baldwin asks about his daughter calling him not feeling well at school and apparently thinks he has a big one when he said wasn't there no school that day...

DUH this was the DAY after he day off... I mean I KNEW it, I'm guessing most of us did when we heard this because I actually wondered if the girl didn't feel well because everyone was worried about these girls...

This is the kind of thing they just miss, the D. Just NOT on top of things. I mean Abby and Libby would have been back to school that day too, if by the Grace of God nothing had happened to them! Who doesn't know that??

If I have I right, his daughter was Kelsi's age and both of the families were looking for and concerned about the girls. I mean she may have not felt well in general but I can see it possibly be in relation to this too, even though they hadn't been found yet.

Still, my point is, a dumb and misleading question. Maybe knew better and intentional who knows but don't see why you'd look dumb like that when the answer is going to show you for not on top of your game.

Just a lot more detail is all I'm saying than I've read. He has some times he has to try to recall (Tom) and interpret his notes, and he was also interested in observing RA and others but even so,, a lot more detail.

I hope to do a few sources here, the better ones people are linking and him and hope I can keep up with both.

I think they're probably reading glasses.

So I'm running lower on time but finished the part with Tom's notes of the day and his covering what happened (Saturday). Now he is into questions.

I probably won't see much of that this morning yet, gotta get a move on but a couple of ones I've seen right toff is he thinks he is the only one taking notes and doing a nightly show. I think that's true as far as I know. Someone asked him if he's consulting with media and sharing notes, etc. and he said no, they can take their own and he went to DQ and White Castle lol. however, then he did in seriousness, all asked each other if they could hear the response from brown of how quickly the crime was secured and NONE of them heard it. So In some link here that it was said to be quickly not sure what reporter heard that as it sounds like no one he talked to or they all asked each other, could hear that response.

Finally, going to quit my listen for now. Someone told him they listen to Lawyer Lee as well for her notes (@Cousin Dupree

And he did say he ran into her in line and thinks she plans on attending throughout and yes. especially if one wants a legal perspective.

So she is there.

I like her but she's definitely more D oriented and haven't watched her in awhile.

So just saying she's attending and another option but I doubt she will do a nightly as he is.

So giving some other sources to people. News is going to try to edit and hit the main things but Tom and Lee I will say and guess one will hear a lot more detail from as they'll do shows.

One example of a few is Baldwin asked Pat Brown so you had phone service there (near the bodies). Answer yes, I did. Long pause by Baldwin. Tom figures and makes perfect sense to make all wonder why Libby's phone wouldn't have (but they haven't even gotten to that to the jury have they yet?). I think some accounts touched on jurors asking what cell phone provider he had in the links here but I don't think the detail of Baldwin's questions were given (and this is just one).

I'm like so what.... I had a rural place and I can tell you the difference in my provider and my daughters and others. Mine was almost always GREAT, no one else's ever was. Plus the phone was under Abby's body so whateeeevvvver...

Anyhow, B needs to realize too this then can be shown can't it, that this call was really made by Pat Brown.

Just saying Tom's got a bit more detail than I've read. More too about LE, where they were, just at the scene, any out in the woods, did they have guns (of course LE has guns but we know the point there)...

Nothing gaining anything imo but thee is more detail and more mof the questions asked shared.

I am pretty positive I also read every link here in full so this is an informed opinion. Sometimes I can't read all of them nor have the time but I think since this has started I have read them all so I know some of what Tom is relaying I never read or heard.

Again no big ahas but D asked more questions than i'd have thought and for obviousi reasons. Which truly the answers to are no real surprise either. His phone worked, some didn't, depending on where at in woods or search. Etc. LE and guns. Well yah. Did anyone get one out... Reaching imo. But then, they gotta try.
I thought that in his testimony he said his daughter went and made the call to LE?

I think they're probably reading glasses.
I read somewhere they were reading glasses, can't recall where. Could even be cheaters and not prescription of course. I don't recall any mention of sighting of glasses at any hearing though prior to trial now.

But dont see it is a major deal other than we are all as are all others noting everything right now since we aren't into too much that's significant yet. Jmo.

The call to police was made by Melissa who was with Pat Brown according to the testimony I posted in post 7912.

"Brown picked up his daughter around 11 a.m. on Feb. 14 and soon received a call from Mears to say they’d found Libby’s shirt along Deer Creek. Brown went to the north side of the creek and found the girls’ bodies on the way.

Brown said he thought they were mannequins at first, and became emotional as he told the court, “We found them.”

Melissa, a relative of the Pattys, was with Brown when they spotted the girls. She ran off to call the police.

Brown noted on the courtroom map where he found the girls and said he got within five feet of their bodies. Police arrived before Brown left the scene.

Defense attorney Andrew Baldwin questioned Brown, focusing on the sound of voices, what could be heard, and if Brown had cell service while in the woods. Judge Gull also asked questions about Brown’s cell service provider, how long it took for police to arrive after they found the girls, and how long it took for the scene to be secured. Brown answered that officers arrived within five minutes of being called, and it didn’t take long for the area to be secured."

The call to police was made by Melissa who was with Pat Brown according to the testimony I posted in post 7912.

"Brown picked up his daughter around 11 a.m. on Feb. 14 and soon received a call from Mears to say they’d found Libby’s shirt along Deer Creek. Brown went to the north side of the creek and found the girls’ bodies on the way.

Brown said he thought they were mannequins at first, and became emotional as he told the court, “We found them.”

Melissa, a relative of the Pattys, was with Brown when they spotted the girls. She ran off to call the police.

Brown noted on the courtroom map where he found the girls and said he got within five feet of their bodies. Police arrived before Brown left the scene.

Defense attorney Andrew Baldwin questioned Brown, focusing on the sound of voices, what could be heard, and if Brown had cell service while in the woods. Judge Gull also asked questions about Brown’s cell service provider, how long it took for police to arrive after they found the girls, and how long it took for the scene to be secured. Brown answered that officers arrived within five minutes of being called, and it didn’t take long for the area to be secured."
Melissa is thought to be a sister or SIL of Becky. So not sure what you meant about a daughter making a call.

BUt Brown called Mullin and was this not after finding the bodies? I'm about out of time here so will have to go back over it tonight, and yes, he said his cell phone worked.

I think what we may have here is more detail than was in some of the reporting. The jurors even asked about his provider/through Gull as his cell phone worked for the call. We hard the jurors asked that question but did the reporting say he called because that's what I am pretty sure I just heard from Tom. Again, Ill' have to check later.

There's a lot of detail in here.

Melissa is thought to be a sister or SIL of Becky. So not sure what you meant about a daughter making a call.

BUt Brown called Mullin and was this not after finding the bodies? I'm about out of time here so will have to go back over it tonight, and yes, he said his cell phone worked.

I think what we may have here is more detail than was in some of the reporting. The jurors even asked about his provider/through Gull as his cell phone worked for the call. We hard the jurors asked that question but did the reporting say he called because that's what I am pretty sure I just heard from Tom. Again, Ill' have to check later.
It says Brown picked up his daughter at 11 am then got a call from Mears about the clothes and headed to the creek and found them. IIRC they were found about midday. I just assumed Melissa was his daughter but anyway Brown said she went and called LE. So a bit of a discrepancy somewhere as to who actually called the police.

There's a lot of detail in here.

Thanks.

Copied from the article -

In Carroll County, neighbors help neighbors.

That is what Pat Brown did, Tom Mears, and hundreds of others in the community in 2017.

Brown testified Saturday during the trial of Richard Allen that a call from Mears sent him back to the Monon High Bridge trail to help search for Abby Williams and Libby German on Feb. 14, 2017.

Allen has been charged with four counts of felony murder in the girls’ deaths.

Brown found the bodies of the girls a short time after returning to the trails. As he waited for the police, he stood with his back to the girls.

Brown first helped in the search for the girls on Feb. 13, 2017.

“I’ve known Mike (Patty) since high school,” Brown testified. “My oldest daughter is the same age as Kelsi (Siebert, Libby’s sister).

“My wife said Becky (Patty, Libby’s grandmother) posted on Facebook that the girls were missing.”

He said he called Mike, who was at the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office, to ask if the girls had been found. Hearing they were still missing, he went to the Monon High Bridge Trail to help with the search.“It was dark,” he said. “I called Tom Mears and told him to meet me there to help.”

Brown began his search at Morning Heights Cemetery on County Road 300 North; he also stopped at a neighbor’s home to see if he had seen the girls. He had not.

“I could hear people on the (Monon High Bridge) and see lights,” he said.

Brown said he searched the woods, walking along the ridge in the area behind the cemetery and traveling back to the Monon High Bridge. The ridge in the woods is “pretty steep,” he said.

He told Deputy Prosecutor Stacey Diener that the area, particularly walking down to the water, is difficult to traverse.

“In the dark, you’d probably break a leg real easy,” he said. “It’s really steep out there.”

The next morning, Brown said he called off work to continue to help with the search.

“I went to the Stone House (Restaurant) and met Tom Mears and his dad,” he said on the morning of Feb. 14, 2017. “We were drinking coffee, and then we went to the firehouse. They were talking about the search.”

Brown and Tom Mears joined the search teams, searching east of the cemetery, he said. They even checked an old cave but said it had been blasted years before.

The gentlemen returned to their homes. A short time later, Brown got a call from Mears telling him members of the search party had found something in the water.

“He said, ‘Hey, I just got a phone call from Shane Haygood, and they found something in the creek.”

Mears wanted Brown to go back to the cemetery and look past the ridge of the ravine. As Brown was searching, Haygood called him.

“He said they could see something from across the creek,” Brown said. As he made his way down the hill toward the water, Brown ran into Becky Patty’s sister.

“And that’s when we found ‘em,” he said, becoming overcome with emotion.

“I said, ‘We found them,’” Brown said through tears. “I thought they were mannequins.

“I just stood there facing away from them.

Brown said he was standing about 5-feet from the girls. He called Steve Mullin, then Delphi Police Chief and two law enforcement officers showed up quickly, he said.

Allen’s attorney, Andrew Baldwin, asked if “a bunch of policemen in full uniform” came down to the crime scene. “Yes,” Brown said. “With guns?” Baldwin asked. “Yes,” Brown said.

Baldwin attempted to ask if there were “lots of scavenger animals” in the area, but Diener objected. Gull sustained the objection.

For the first time since the trial began, there was a question for the witness from a juror. They asked, “Who was your cell phone provided?” Brown said he had service through Verizon.

Upstream​

Searcher Jake Johns testified that his boss heard about the missing girls and asked his staff if they wanted to help with the search. Johns said he and his friend Shane Haygood started their search at Riley Park and followed the Deer Creek upstream past the High Bridge, searching along the bank.

Diener asked Johns if they knew what they were looking for.

“A tie-dyed shirt,” he said. “It took us four hours. He looked at the water, and I was looking at the top side.

“We went under the bridge, and that’s when we saw some clothes in the water. It was the tie-dyed shirt.”

Johns said they could not reach the shirt as the water was waist-deep. They found a firefighter who was also searching and told him they had found a shirt. They also found a Nike shoe, he said.

Haygood called Brown to tell them of their find, Johns said.

On cross-examination, Defense Attorney Jennifer Auger asked Johns if sound traveled near the creek. “Yes,” he said.

Diener, on redirect, asked, “After Pat Brown said the bodies had been found, cold you see (the girls)?

“We could not see the girls, but we could hear Pat Brown,” he said.

Routine Day​

He said it was a “routine day” before he heard on his police radio that Abby and Libby were missing. Mullin used a map to pinpoint the locations of the High Bridge, Mears Trailhead, and where the bodies of the girls were found. He said it was a “routine day” before he heard on his police radio that Abby and Libby were missing.

He said he went to the Carroll County Sheriff’s Department to talk to dispatch after receiving the news.

“I wanted to help in any way I could,” he said.

Mullin said he spoke to the principal of Delphi Community Middle School as well as the school’s guidance counselor to help locate friends of the girls who may be able to help identify where they could be

At 2 a.m. on Feb. 14, 2017, Mullin headed home when the search had been called off for the evening.

“I still believed, given time, they would return home,” he said. “I couldn’t imagine anyone had done any harm to them.”

Jurors asked Mullin four questions. Among those, “What was the thought process when looking downstream?”

“That the girls may have fallen off the bridge,” he said. “With the height as such (60 feet), they would have been injured.”

Jurors also asked for clarity on where the bodies were found.

“North of Deer Creek and south of the cemetery,” he said. “The creek runs north and south of Moring Height Cemetery.

Family Moments

Friday, three members of Libby’s family testified: her grandmother, Becky Patty, sister, Kelsi (German) Siebert, and her father, Derrick German.

Becky Patty told the jury what a special girl Libby was. She described her as outgoing, highly involved in sports, and kind.

“She was polite, but if you were out of line, she would tell you,” Becky said. “She had more reason than I did. She was calm. That was her nature.

“She was logical. She loved crime shows. She said, ‘I’m gonna do that someday, or I’m gonna find cures.”

Libby’s great-grandmother died of COPD when she was little.

She said when Libby didn’t show up at the arranged time, she began to worry.

“I knew that wasn’t Libby, so I knew we needed to get to the trails and look for them.”

They drove around the area in case the girls walked home, and she called AT&T to try and get a location on the phone, she said.

As night fell, Becky said it was time to get more help.

“I told (Mike Patty, her husband) we need to do something. It’s gonna get dark,” she said.

The family called the police and then went to the station, where they remained until after midnight.

The next morning, they joined the search with others, she testified.

“We were walking back to our car; a friend came up and said, ‘They found them, they found them,’” she said.

She said she ran to the police and said, “You need to take me, you need to take me to Libby.” It was then, she said, that she saw her sister crying. “All she could say was, ‘I’m sorry; I’m sorry.’

“I remember sitting there, and I couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t take me to them. As I was sitting there, I saw the coroner’s truck driving by, and that’s when I knew … they weren’t alive.”

As Becky shared her story, Allen’s wife and mother could be seen crying.

On cross-examination, Baldwin used the same line of questioning for each of the family members of Abby and Libby. “How was her voice?” “Was Libby outspoken?” “How was (her voice) strength-wise?” He then asked about the night of the search and if flashlights could be seen in the woods and where specifically.

Kelsi described Libby as “… more like my best friend than my sister.” “Libby was the outgoing one, she said. “She would find someone who needed someone. She was very brave.”

The girls had crossed the High Bridge before. “I crawled across it,” she said of her first attempt.

Libby had asked her sister to go with her to the bridge on Feb. 13, 2017, but Kelsi said she woke up late.

She said she loaned Abby her jacket, and Libby grabbed a swimming sweatshirt out of the backseat of her car as she dropped them off at the trail.

On Feb. 14, 2017, she continued calling and texting her sister, something she had done the previous evening. She searched with others, specifically below High Bridge.

“We went down (the hill) and to the right, she said. “Not long after, there was someone that yelled they had found the girls.”

She said the women did not know she was Libby’s sister when they shared the news.

Kelsi and Libby’s father, Derrick German, testified that the morning the girls went missing, he had made them banana pancakes before driving to Frankfort for work.

“About halfway to Frankfort (Libby) called and asked me to pick them up at High Bridge on my way back home from Frankfort,” he said. “I told her it would be a couple of hours.

“She said, ‘No problem, we’ll just do some exploring.’”

Derrick was running late and called the girls to let them know. Libby did not answer her phone. He called again when he got to the Bridge. When Libby still did not answer her phone, Derrick said he got out and began looking for the girls.

After police were called to aid in the search, German said he had to go to the police station with the rest of the family. He returned to the trail around 10 p.m. that evening.

“The left trail at High Bridge is pretty steep, so I did not go down by the water,” he said. Instead, he searched by the ravine, which runs south of the cemetery.

“It was pitch black in the woods,” he said.

He searched until 2 a.m. and then returned home. He returned to search the next morning.

“I knew something was up when my aunt came running off the trail screaming,” he said. “I could hear murmurs. “I saw the coroner go by, and I saw about 12 cop cars go by, so I went to find Kelsi.

Diener asked if the area was difficult to traverse.

“It was hard,” he said.

The final family member to testify Friday was Anna Williams, Abby’s mother.

She was emotional but found the strength to smile when Diener asked her if she was Abby’s ‘mom.

She described her daughter as “kind of shy. She was a very kind little girl, helpful, smart, funny. She loved reading.

She said Abby was involved in volleyball and was going to play softball. The Saturday before she was killed, Abby spent time with her grandfather purchasing the equipment she would need for the sport.

On Sunday, she took Abby to the park, where she met up with Libby. On the way home, the girls had worked it out so Abby could spend the night with Libby.

“If she had asked to go across the bridge, would you let her?

“Absolutely not,” she said.

She found out Abby was missing after seeing three missed calls from Becky.

“I told my coworker; they just called me. I don’t know what these girls are up to, but it’s probably nothing.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom