MI WYNTER SMITH: Missing from Lansing, MI - 2 July 2023 - Age 2 *Found Deceased**GUILTY PLEA*

FTLGNQLQSJBF3ATIDBAOQVXA5E.jpg

LANSING, MI – A Michigan man has been arrested in connection to the kidnapping of a 2-year-old girl, who remains missing.

Rashad Trice, 26, was arrested in St. Clair Shores around 5:50 a.m. on Monday. He was wanted for the kidnapping of 2-year-old Wynter Smith in Lansing.

An Amber Alert was issued early Monday.

Wynter is a Black female with braided, shoulder-length hair. She was last seen wearing a white t-shirt with rainbows on the south side of Lansing around 11:30 p.m. on July 2.

“This is a very urgent situation,” Lansing police said in a statement.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Lansing Police Department at 517-483-4600.

MEDIA - WYNTER SMITH: Missing from Lansing, MI - 2 July 2023 - Age 2 - SUSPECT ARRESTED

Last edited by a moderator:

Krystal Nurse
Lansing State Journal
July 5, 2023

LANSING — Rashad Trice, the man accused of kidnapping 2-year-old Wynter Cole Smith, has been charged with eight crimes in connection with an attack on Wynter's mother.

Ingham County Prosecutor John Dewane said in a Wednesday release that Trice has been arraigned and faces multiple felony charges for allegedly stabbing and assaulting a 22-year-old woman on July 2 and Wynter's disappearance.

"While law enforcement continues to search for Wynter Cole Smith, our office urges our community to report anything out of the ordinary and resist the spread of inaccurate information," Dewane said in the release.

Trice faces the following charges:

• Assault with intent to murder
  • Two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct
  • First-degree home invasion
  • Unlawful imprisonment
  • Aggravated domestic violence as a second offense
  • Unlawful driving away of an automobile
  • Felonious assault
"These charges arise from the brutal physical and sexual assault that took place at an apartment on Beaujardin Drive on July 2, 2023," Dewane said in the release. "The investigation as to any additional charges related to the disappearance of Wynter Cole Smith is ongoing."
The attack was worse. Sexual assault. Domestic violence, Felonious assault, Assault with intent to murder, Unlawful imprisonment...So she gets a chance, And stabs the B***H BACK! So he grabs her daughter and threatens. Kidnapping her. This is the kind of POS that should be MADE to talk! IDGAF about THEIR precious rights. The victim didn't have ANY! You gave up your rights when you took someone else's right to live! I'm sick of them being coddled and protected.

by: Kate Holloway
Posted: Jul 5, 2023 / 02:44 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 5, 2023 / 02:46 PM EDT

INGHAM COUNTY, Mich. (WLNS) — Rashad Maleek Trice, 26, of Detroit, was arraigned Wednesday on charges related to an alleged physical and sexual assault in Lansing on Sunday, at an apartment on Beaujardin Drive, according to a statement from Ingham County Prosecutor John J. Dewane.

<snip>

Trice is charged as a violent habitual fourth offender, according to the statement from Dewane.

Derick Hutchinson, Lead Digital Editor
Published: July 5, 2023 at 2:34 PM

<snip>

On Wednesday, Trice was arraigned in the hospital as he recovers from injuries suffered when he crashed, according to authorities.

<snip>

A probable cause conference is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. July 13, and a preliminary examination is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. July 20.

Trice is being held without bond.
O.K. Uhhhh. 4th offender?! It's supposed to be 3 strikes and you're out. Life in prison. So just HOW THE F*** WAS THIS GUY NOT IN PRISON?!!!

O.K. Uhhhh. 4th offender?! It's supposed to be 3 strikes and you're out. Life in prison. So just HOW THE F*** WAS THIS GUY NOT IN PRISON?!!!
I noticed that too. I think I said before it even came out what was his record and was he someone who shouldn't even have been on the streets to begin with?!!

I'm going to start repeating the same mantra, the system and our government etc. are run by idiots. Or alternatively people who just don't give a sh*t.

😢
Trice was charged as a violent habitual fourth offender. According to Michigan Department of Corrections records, he is on probation from an August 2021 incident in which he pleaded guilty to five felonies, including assaulting/resisting a police officer and felonious assault. He's scheduled to remain on probation for those crimes until January, state records show

Wynter's 1-year-old brother was in the apartment during the assault. Police said Trice took Wynter, stealing his ex-girlfriend's white 2013 Chevrolet Impala and driving toward Metro Detroit. An Amber Alert was issued, and police throughout Michigan were told to be on the lookout for the vehicle.

At 4:45 a.m. Monday, about five hours after Trice allegedly left the Lansing apartment with Wynter, St. Clair Shores police officers on patrol spotted the suspect's car driving on Harper near Nine Mile.

So is the one year old his child whereas Wynter was not? About a five hour window, going to say he intended to murder her, did and then disposed of her imo.

A local activist calls the neighborhood a dumping ground and if true, my guess is this man was no stranger to knowing it was a dumping ground. Neither were cops is my guess.

This man was bad news to begin with and shouldn't have been out. Would have been a good one to stay away from. Hard to say how long they were together or whether the one year old is his or not.

What a beautiful little girl. I worked all day so the pics and several posts are new to me.

And this last post that they found her absolutely heartbreaking. Another innocent baby just killed and disposed of like garbage.

This man should NOT have been on the streets. He pled GUILTY to was it four or five felonies? And was on probation?? So what nowadays if they plead guilty, they don't make a GOOD deal, they just slap them on their wrist? Actually that's a tickle under the chin and not a slap of anything.

So DISGUSTED with what is going on. I don't think most people in power that allow this kind of thing to go on OR created it are going to be brought to task on earth but I hope after their time here on earth they ARE. And they will be right alongside the evil ones who committed the crime and then they'll be together.... I think a whole lot of politicians will be in that same huge group.

😢
I expected it. I think most of us did.

This man got a tickle for five felonies so what do we think he will get now for murder of a child....

I sure hope the mother and defendant are not in the same hospital... Different areas I would think. Hopefully.

I expected it. I think most of us did.

This man got a tickle for five felonies so what do we think he will get now for murder of a child....

I sure hope the mother and defendant are not in the same hospital... Different areas I would think. Hopefully.
If they are. I hope she does something to him. IDC. Honestly, I would want to. Obviously you can have little faith in the injustice system. I wonder if she knew about his past. No blame on her. Just wondering. I'm sure he could talk a good game. Manipulator.

If they are. I hope she does something to him. IDC. Honestly, I would want to. Obviously you can have little faith in the injustice system. I wonder if she knew about his past. No blame on her. Just wondering. I'm sure he could talk a good game. Manipulator.
I have to wonder the same and if she knew. Even if she knew she'd see a man they gave a slap on the wrist to and maybe tell herself it couldn't have been that bad as they didn't put him in prison for all these felonies and yes, probably talked a good game. I get the wondering though, I wonder myself... How long did she know him? Did she know him then (when charged with the felonies)? There has been very little about that or her. To her credit, if true, she ended the relationship and probably had seen what he was and the ending of it seems to be what caused this.

But the bits and pieces, he sounds like a total loser and slacker. I mean he stole her car. He was on probation (still unbelievable!). Was she his meal ticket? Or maybe her benefits and child support, etc. were if that was the case?

He does have parents, that is clear in this story.

Poor little girl.

By the way, I also agree and people can be PC aboutr it and think it awful or not, but when they had him but didn't have her, I sat and thought if he needs to be hurt to give it up where she is (in case she still had a chance especially) then do to him what you have to. For me, anyone who didn't have that thought cross their mind just is too far the other way, the way that lets offenders out of prison, get out of five felonies, etc. You can't fight the most evil amongst us with niceness and good and favors, I'm sorry.

An absolutely precious little girl killed by a human predator. He should never have been walking the streets and been allowed to be around children whatsoever. Or adults for that matter! We need to fix the system. We’re going backward.

An absolutely precious little girl killed by a human predator. He should never have been walking the streets and been allowed to be around children whatsoever. Or adults for that matter! We need to fix the system. We’re going backward.
You got that dam*ed right and I could go on at length about it but wont' at the moment. What I will say is the only ones you see these days getting where sentences are what they should be or close are the well known covered ones. Even then there were all these misses up til then in many of them. Daybell for instance. LOOK at alll the prior b.s. and things let go in multiple jurisdictions. The murder or Charles for instance and soooo much more... Even when the kids went missing and even when Kay and Larry started asking, I have no doubt even then it would have all disappeared, gotten quiet, been shoved under the rug BUT for a few reporters which even they can't do it but the PUBLIC took hold of it. THEN and only THEN imo in most cases is justice pursued through trial WITHOUT a b.s. deal. Because the public would be up in arms and was and is watching.

Even THEN in some cases it makes no difference or it isn't a big enough public. Greenburg. Murdaugh. Etc. The fix is already going on and only the public and press imo can change it. Vanessa Guillen.

And of course families fighting for it but without publicity and it being well known it doesn't happen.

It is outrageous. I shall stop because this in and of itself, this system, is a subject of its own.

Krystal Nurse
Lansing State Journal
July 6, 2023

LANSING — The family of 2-year-old Wynter Cole Smith released a statement Thursday regarding the child's death.

In the statement, the family said, “We are heartbroken over the loss of our beautiful daughter, granddaughter, cousin, niece and big sister, Wynter Cole Smith. Wynter’s brief but bright life was taken from her unnecessarily; and we will grieve her death forever."

<snip>

The family thanked the FBI, law enforcement, the Dock Ellis Foundation and volunteers for assisting in the search for Wynter.

They've requested the Michigan Legislature and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer pursue legislation that would have "multiple violent offenders remain in jail or prison as they are tragically a threat to all of us."

The family has planned a vigil for 6 p.m. July 7 near First Church of the Redeemed, 9360 Van Dyke, in Detroit.

Matthew Dolan Gina Kaufman Christine MacDonald Krystal Nurse
Detroit Free Press
July 6, 2023

Two years before his arrest in connection with the disappearance of slain toddler Wynter Cole-Smith, Rashad Maleek Trice pleaded guilty to domestic violence after he was charged with assaulting the child's mother, according to court records reviewed by the Free Press.

The 2021 criminal case from Monroe County, which also lists Wynter as a "victim or complainant" in the case, is part of Trice's lengthy and violent history documented inside the state's criminal justice system, records show. Records indicate Trice assaulted Symari Cole, the mother, and do not specify why her daughter is described as a victim in the case.

Trice racked up a number of criminal convictions for his interactions with law enforcement officers in multiple Michigan counties, court records show. His motor vehicle violations led to the state revoking his driver's license last year.

<snip>

Cole and Trice had been in a previous relationship, according to authorities and court records. Police said Wynter Cole-Smith is not Trice's biological daughter.

Trice, however, did have a child with Cole, according to his account in a paternity case in Wayne County Circuit Court filed last year. Based on court records, their child would be younger than Wynter Cole-Smith.

<snip>

Court records show Trice has had multiple interactions with law enforcement over the last two years, including convictions for assault and domestic violence.

The charges in Monroe County in May 2021 against Trice included assaulting, resisting or obstructing a police officer and domestic violence against Symari Cole. Trice pleaded guilty to reduced counts of attempted resisting and obstructing law enforcement and the domestic violence charge involving Wynter's mother, court records show.

He was scheduled for sentencing in July of that year, but failed to appear, according to court records. A judge revoked his bond and issued a warrant for his arrest. He may have already been jailed in Livingston County at the time because the county sheriff later sent proof of his incarceration, saying he was at the jail there in August and was scheduled for release in November.

Trice eventually received a sentence of 224 days in jail on each resisting charge and 93 days on the domestic violence, all to be served concurrently.

After an encounter with Michigan State Police on Aug. 10, 2021, Trice was charged in Livingston County with crimes, including fleeing a police officer, assault and resisting or obstructing a police officer. Records show he was convicted and sentenced to at least a 24-month probation term. He was later found to be in violation of his probation and sentenced again on Dec. 22 last year.

Separately, in Clinton County court, in June 2021, he faced three felony counts related to assaulting, resisting or obstructing three law enforcement officers in Bath Township. Court records show he pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted assault of a police officer. He was sentenced to 12 months in jail beginning on Aug. 10 of that year, concurrent with any time he was already serving.

The next year, in April 2022, he appeared in court in Lansing on charges of assault and fleeing a law enforcement officer the year prior. Court records in Ingham County indicate he was sentenced to 93 days in jail after pleading guilty to lesser charges.

Trice also had a long history of problems on the road in Detroit, Lincoln Park, Dearborn, Howell and Lansing, according to his state driving record.

He first received his license in July 2014, but it was suspended in August 2019 and revoked in May 2022, records show. Among his driving violations were failing to display a valid license, no proof of insurance, failing to appear in court on related charges and failure to comply with an earlier court judgment.

<snip>

On Thursday, in response to the latest arrest, Prosecutor Peter Lucido announced that Trice has been charged in Macomb with fleeing and eluding authorities, attempting to disarm an officer, receiving and concealing a motor vehicle, assault with a dangerous weapon, and resisting and obstructing law enforcement, including counts related to causing injury. He will be arraigned in Macomb County at a future date, prosecutors said.

Frank Witsil Aurora Sousanis
Detroit Free Press
July 6, 2023

The yellow police tape was gone, but the weight of the tragedy that unfolded here lingered.

A community vigil Thursday evening — the first of two planned this week in Detroit not far from the east side neighborhood where the body of Wynter Cole Smith, the 2-year-old Lansing girl they were honoring, was found — more than a hundred people gathered near Knodel and Erwin to grieve, pray and shine a light on domestic violence.

Some cried, but being together seemed to bring them comfort.

"We came out here to show our support, give our condolences to the family," Aris Wilson, 38, of Southfield, told the Free Press. "It touches my heart when I see situations like this. It's sad. It's really sad. There's a 2-year-old right there. I can't imagine someone hurting a baby. You have to be a real sick individual to do that."

<snip>

Earlier in the day, the community made a small makeshift memorial with a "speed hump" sign.

At first, it consisted mostly of a small teddy bear holding a heart, a doll, and candles. Metallic pink and blue balloons fluttered in the wind. As more people arrived, however, it grew. Mourners added more balloons, flowers, a cross, and toys that Wynter might have liked.

It was a small tribute to small girl, whose life had been taken too soon, in such a tragic way.

<snip>

For those who could not make it to Thursday night's event or would like to attend another one, Wynter's family has planned a second vigil at 6 p.m. Friday. This one is set to be near First Church to the Redeemed at 9360 Van Dyke, also in Detroit.

Matthew Dolan Gina Kaufman Christine MacDonald Krystal Nurse
Detroit Free Press
July 6, 2023

Two years before his arrest in connection with the disappearance of slain toddler Wynter Cole-Smith, Rashad Maleek Trice pleaded guilty to domestic violence after he was charged with assaulting the child's mother, according to court records reviewed by the Free Press.

The 2021 criminal case from Monroe County, which also lists Wynter as a "victim or complainant" in the case, is part of Trice's lengthy and violent history documented inside the state's criminal justice system, records show. Records indicate Trice assaulted Symari Cole, the mother, and do not specify why her daughter is described as a victim in the case.

Trice racked up a number of criminal convictions for his interactions with law enforcement officers in multiple Michigan counties, court records show. His motor vehicle violations led to the state revoking his driver's license last year.

<snip>

Cole and Trice had been in a previous relationship, according to authorities and court records. Police said Wynter Cole-Smith is not Trice's biological daughter.

Trice, however, did have a child with Cole, according to his account in a paternity case in Wayne County Circuit Court filed last year. Based on court records, their child would be younger than Wynter Cole-Smith.

<snip>

Court records show Trice has had multiple interactions with law enforcement over the last two years, including convictions for assault and domestic violence.

The charges in Monroe County in May 2021 against Trice included assaulting, resisting or obstructing a police officer and domestic violence against Symari Cole. Trice pleaded guilty to reduced counts of attempted resisting and obstructing law enforcement and the domestic violence charge involving Wynter's mother, court records show.

He was scheduled for sentencing in July of that year, but failed to appear, according to court records. A judge revoked his bond and issued a warrant for his arrest. He may have already been jailed in Livingston County at the time because the county sheriff later sent proof of his incarceration, saying he was at the jail there in August and was scheduled for release in November.

Trice eventually received a sentence of 224 days in jail on each resisting charge and 93 days on the domestic violence, all to be served concurrently.

After an encounter with Michigan State Police on Aug. 10, 2021, Trice was charged in Livingston County with crimes, including fleeing a police officer, assault and resisting or obstructing a police officer. Records show he was convicted and sentenced to at least a 24-month probation term. He was later found to be in violation of his probation and sentenced again on Dec. 22 last year.

Separately, in Clinton County court, in June 2021, he faced three felony counts related to assaulting, resisting or obstructing three law enforcement officers in Bath Township. Court records show he pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted assault of a police officer. He was sentenced to 12 months in jail beginning on Aug. 10 of that year, concurrent with any time he was already serving.

The next year, in April 2022, he appeared in court in Lansing on charges of assault and fleeing a law enforcement officer the year prior. Court records in Ingham County indicate he was sentenced to 93 days in jail after pleading guilty to lesser charges.

Trice also had a long history of problems on the road in Detroit, Lincoln Park, Dearborn, Howell and Lansing, according to his state driving record.

He first received his license in July 2014, but it was suspended in August 2019 and revoked in May 2022, records show. Among his driving violations were failing to display a valid license, no proof of insurance, failing to appear in court on related charges and failure to comply with an earlier court judgment.

<snip>

On Thursday, in response to the latest arrest, Prosecutor Peter Lucido announced that Trice has been charged in Macomb with fleeing and eluding authorities, attempting to disarm an officer, receiving and concealing a motor vehicle, assault with a dangerous weapon, and resisting and obstructing law enforcement, including counts related to causing injury. He will be arraigned in Macomb County at a future date, prosecutors said.
UNBELIEVABLE. Read it and read it again. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat offender and each time nothing for a sentence and then violate probation, etc. and another new charge and again nothing for a sentence and repeat and repeat.

So many of his former charges were for assaulting her and assaulting officers, and more, etc. Did she cooperate had they wanted to proceed to prosecute or was this ridiculous deal for five felonies made because she wasn't? I mean I am trying to understand why he got off so lightly.

Was she trying to get away since that time or were they back together? It would seem she stayed with him as they had a child younger than when those offenses would have occurred. Of course the child could have been the result of one of his assaults since in this case there was sexual assault. Did she have a restraining order since that time and they couldn't protect her or DID she stay with him willingly until recently?

Aside from all that, whether she was trying to leave these past years or not or whether she cooperated or would have in his prosecution formerly, they had enough on him on their own each time he violated his probation and MORE to put him AWAY and end the problem even if she couldn't.

This account of all this man has done these past years and what the courts gave him is a horrendous example of this areas prosecutors, judges and legal system. It is UNBELIEVABLE. We are seeing a lot of unbelievable but this is one that takes the cake. They are supposed to have a job to do and a public to protect. That seems to have gone by the wayside.

This child's murder is on ALL OF THEM as well!!!!!!!!!! Had he been incarcerated which he CLEARLY could have been, he couldn't have killed this child. Does that bother ANY of them? Cause sleepless nights? Eat at their souls? I doubt it.

I am enraged. I was at first hearing of not even a slap on a wrist for a GUILTY plea to five felonies and I'm over the top NOW.

Posted at 2:58 PM, Jul 07, 2023
and last updated 3:56 PM, Jul 07, 2023
(WXYZ) — Federal officials have charged Rashad Maleek Trice with kidnapping a minor and kidnapping resulting in death relating to the Wynter Cole-Smith case. If convicted on these charges, he could face the death penalty.

The kidnapping resulting in death charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of life in prison, but is death penalty eligible.

<snip>

According to the criminal complaint, Wynter's cause of death "appeared to be strangulation with a pink cell phone charging cord, that was recovered with the body. The pink cell phone charging cord was consistent with the pink cord parts recovered from the Chevrolet Impala." The official cause of death from the medical examiner is still pending.

<snip>

You can read the full complaint at the end of this article.
<snip>

Wynter's mother was hospitalized and has since been released, police said.

Trice is currently in federal custody. His detention hearing and preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 11 at 10:30 a.m.

Trice’s probable cause conference in the Ingham County case is scheduled for July 13 at 8:30 a.m. and his preliminary hearing is set for July 20 at 8:30 a.m.

Posted at 2:58 PM, Jul 07, 2023
and last updated 3:56 PM, Jul 07, 2023
(WXYZ) — Federal officials have charged Rashad Maleek Trice with kidnapping a minor and kidnapping resulting in death relating to the Wynter Cole-Smith case. If convicted on these charges, he could face the death penalty.

The kidnapping resulting in death charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of life in prison, but is death penalty eligible.

<snip>

According to the criminal complaint, Wynter's cause of death "appeared to be strangulation with a pink cell phone charging cord, that was recovered with the body. The pink cell phone charging cord was consistent with the pink cord parts recovered from the Chevrolet Impala." The official cause of death from the medical examiner is still pending.

<snip>

You can read the full complaint at the end of this article.
<snip>

Wynter's mother was hospitalized and has since been released, police said.

Trice is currently in federal custody. His detention hearing and preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 11 at 10:30 a.m.

Trice’s probable cause conference in the Ingham County case is scheduled for July 13 at 8:30 a.m. and his preliminary hearing is set for July 20 at 8:30 a.m.
What does death resulting from a kidnapping mean? Like the kidnapping is at fault??? What is this b.s.?
I see the possibel sentencing is seerious but again the kidnapping caused it?? Maybe he kidnapped so he could kill so WORD it right.
I'm enraged at this one.
Let's hear it from every county that could have kept him in jail/prison and gave him concurrent or just days or that tickle on his wrist.
I don't think much of her for staying with him but they had a child, there may have been dependency, etc. but what is the system's excuse for letting him go and continuing to see him again and again and again as if they were dating him and going back to him and letting him off???

DISGUSTING. I don't want to be a judge or a juror because I would worry so much about getting it wrong or letting someone guilty go free or incarcerating someone innocent but I used to naively think those in power cared about that very same thing but could do it. They do NOT. They don't care, they just want to shove off the trouble and care less if a child ends up dead. The POS did it, don't get me wrong, but he didn't have to be out and free where he COULD have done such.

Mom needs to speak up for her child and for battered women because SHE should not have been with him and with her kids with him either. Maybe she didn't have much for an out but if so, time to speak up and change her life. Seriously. And stand for her daughter. And DEMAND justice and get away from him for good. Is she in that mode? I would hope so.

What does death resulting from a kidnapping mean? Like the kidnapping is at fault??? What is this b.s.?
I see the possibel sentencing is seerious but again the kidnapping caused it?? Maybe he kidnapped so he could kill so WORD it right.
Why is a charge that is a minimum life sentence and death penalty eligible bs? That's the literal name of the charge they can't just change the wording...
A murder charge will likely be added later when her autopsy comes back.

Why is a charge that is a minimum life sentence and death penalty eligible bs? That's the literal name of the charge they can't just change the wording...
A murder charge will likely be added later when her autopsy comes back.
I guess I don't like the wording in this world of where all is not right and attorneys or anyone can make something of the wording, etc.

I was remarking in upset over it all and these constant cases of people that shouldn't even be free and children and others die because they are. It has gotten to the point of being so ridiculous but it is not funny.

He already was NOT sentenced or put in jail as he should have been already for so many other things so then I reacted to this wording thinking and saying just watch... This state or area has done nothing charge after charge, offense after offense, violation of probation after violation....

I get your point, okay, they can't change the wording but that is how it is worded and that child would LIKELY OR FOR SURE be alive if they had incarcerated him on all other offenses so I was being cynical and saying just watch...

Not at you of course. At the situation.

I am going to say in every case delayed, every case justice denied, every case that is ridiculous from now on just so it sticks how broken the system is, and maybe intentionally so and how little the ones that could have done something about it, like here, give a sh*t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eric
Back
Top Bottom