LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
From post 8190 upthread posted by Imamazed. "Bloody" mentioned several times by the witness. She says she did mention blood but LE didn't write it down. She was emphatic he was bloody. Well he would have been, wouldnt he? She passed him pretty close. She clearly describes him as being muddy too as if he slid down a bank or into the creek mud. She was spot on it sounds to me. See the extract below. So could posters please stop saying he wasn't bloody? He was. Her description of blood on his feet, ankles and lower legs would match what happened at the crime scene too.

According to Carbaugh’s account, the man’s clothes were bloody and muddy, with blood visible on his lower legs, feet and ankles. The rest of him was muddy—as if he had fallen down a hill or into a muddy creek.

“I’m going to label him ‘Bridge Guy’ because that’s what I know him by,” she said. She added that she recognized the image later released to the public of the man sought in connection with the girls’ deaths. She saw it on the news.

Carbaugh waited three weeks to contact police. She blamed her inaction on trauma and panic, telling the court she was “overthinking” and “having a moment.”

Delphi murders: Day 3 of testimony includes graphic crime scene photos
She saw an officer taking tips at a roadblock and saw that as a “sign” to reveal what she had seen. She helped police identify her vehicle on cameras from the Hoosier Harvest Store.

The state didn’t ask her opinion on whether “Bridge Guy” was Richard Allen. Carbaugh’s testimony appeared to be the strongest account among those who testified about seeing “Bridge Guy.”

Cross examination was more difficult and charged at times, however, and Carbaugh became combative with the defense.

Defense attorney Andrew Baldwin said her 2017 statement consistently said the man was “muddy” and not “bloody.” He noted that “blood” didn’t appear in a transcript of her interview.

That led to an objection from the state.

Delphi murders: Contentious cross examination of investigator marks Day 4 of testimony
Baldwin mentioned a second follow-up interview from Carbaugh in which she said “mud” and not “blood.”

Carbaugh responded that she did mention blood, but police didn’t write it down. She also said her videotaped interview was lost due to problems with the police’s recording system. The state has said some early interviews associated with the case were lost due to an error.

Baldwin gave her a transcript of an interview and asked where it said blood.

“I do not see it in here, but I do remember talking to the officer about it,” she said.

Baldwin brought up a third interview from 2019. In that one, he said Carbaugh used blood and not mud.

“I understand you’re doing your job,” she told Baldwin. “I saw a man on the side of the road with mud and blood, and that’s that.”

Baldwin also took issue with her description of “Bridge Guy’s” coat color, saying Carbaugh didn’t say his coat was blue until after the infamous photo was released to the public. Baldwin said she called it tan while she recalled it was more brown—something she explained by reminding the court that “Bridge Guy” was covered in mud and blood.

Carbaugh’s frustration was apparent during cross examination, becoming combative and sarcastic at times in response to the defense’s questions.

When asked why she waited three weeks to talk to police, she replied, “Cowardly liar here. Just a chicken.”

Baldwin said Carbaugh told police that “Bridge Guy” had “effeminate” eyes. She didn’t recall making the statement and asked if Baldwin was “romanticizing” her deposition. He wanted her to check the transcript, but she replied, “No, I’m good.”

She later said she recalled seeing a hat (a “funky looking hat”) on “Bridge Guy” and told the court she’d been presented with so many samples that “it was like a Tinder profile of hats.”

During jury questioning, she said her car was “less than three feet” away from “Bridge Guy.”

Pathologist testifies

After Carbaugh testified, pathologist Roland Kohr took the stand.

Last edited:
Bloody was never said. It was added somehow through reports.

Supposedly, her original statement was not transcribed and the video is gone. IMO, we have no clue what she originally said.

What actually bothers me is the same day an alert went out she was too scared to report it, but can sit on a witness stand in the same room with RA and snark off. That's just a personal vent.

Click on the video and watch it. They have done a fantastic job going thru the day in court. The lady talking is a defense attorney and was also a prosecutor. Its long but worth the watch. It explains a lot to me.
I found a bunch of videos on their YT channel.

Holeman said when he asked if Allen wanted to fill out forms for any of the items found during the search, Allen said, "It doesn't matter. It's over."

Holeman said Allen said that twice, which he found interesting.
In the video above the reporters said that this was after he was already told he was a suspect in the murders. He had said over and over he was innocent and still he was a suspect. I would think my life was over at that point too. Guilty or Not Guilty. Knowing this context it doesn't mean much to me.

Supposedly, her original statement was not transcribed and the video is gone. IMO, we have no clue what she originally said.

What actually bothers me is the same day an alert went out she was too scared to report it, but can sit on a witness stand in the same room with RA and snark off. That's just a personal vent.
Well he has been caught and incarcerated for two years now. He was free and clear for 5 years so she was right to be worried. These witness names have been out there some time now and i don't blame her for her attitude. Especially now we know LE actually cleared him incorrectly. What a balls up!!!!!

I remember how scared people were when the Yorkshire Ripper was free and also another killer who was active in the area i lived in the 70's.

I would also never criticize a witness who has given direct evidence right in front of the accused. She was probably scared witless seeing him there in court. She will be very scared too, if he gets off. Hopefully that won't happen but who the heck knows. If a couple of us think he is innocent then the jury could too.

I have another thought about these video interviews missing. Now we know about the missing RA lead too. Maybe there was someone in LE who helped him and sabotaged the case. One item missing is careless but many is deliberate IMO.

Last edited:
My guess is that it was described as muddy OR bloody because on dark clothing it might be hard to tell.
I agree with that assessment. Blood darkens when exposed to air. The thing is, anyone that is muddy OR bloody was saturated to still be noticeable. Anybody with a brain knows the difference between muddy and dried mud.

Dan Dulin DNR Officer. Interviews RA three days after the murders. Allen voluntarily called tip line to let investigators know he was in the area

nothing stuck out as unusual about RA, he was marked cleared.

I think the defense will play on this big time.

In the video above the reporters said that this was after he was already told he was a suspect in the murders. He had said over and over he was innocent and still he was a suspect. I would think my life was over at that point too. Guilty or Not Guilty. Knowing this context it doesn't mean much to me.
I think an innocent person would be enraged and demand a signed inventory of everything taken. I know i would.

Dan Dulin DNR Officer. Interviews RA three days after the murders. Allen voluntarily called tip line to let investigators know he was in the area

I think they will, too. If I was a juror, I'd be waiting on some evidence or testimony I could sink my teeth into. I wonder if today is gun day?

That's why it's so important "if you see something, say something". That's not just for this case.
She was only 3 feet away from him on the road and in court was testifying voraciously right in front of him . I don't know why it is in doubt what she testified.

Delphi murders: Misfiled report from 2017 put Allen in investigators’ sights in 2022​

As Day 6 of testimony in the Delphi murders trials began, the state began to lay the groundwork for its case against Richard Allen.

On Thursday, jurors learned how Allen became associated with the case.

Misfiled report leads to scrutiny​

The first witness was Kathy Shank, a retired DCS worker who volunteered to help with administrative duties like organizing files and tips into a database. She estimated she handled about 14,000 tips related to the Delphi murders case. She told the court she volunteered on the case because she wanted to help.

On Sept. 21, 2022, she came across a file folder that was not with the others she was managing. Inside was a report with the name “Richard Allen Whiteman.” The report indicated that Allen was on the Monon High Bridge on the day of the murders.

She immediately notified Tony Liggett, lead investigator on the case and the current Carroll County sheriff. Shank noted that the tip sheet said “cleared” and wasn’t sure why Allen’s name was entered incorrectly as “Richard Allen Whiteman.”

The discrepancy surrounded Allen’s address, which was located on Whiteman Drive. Shank determined the name on the tip was incorrect, with “Richard Allen” being the person’s name and “Whiteman” referring to his home address.

Shank told the court the report caught her attention because she recalled three girls reported seeing a man on the bridge and thought there was a “possible correlation.”

During cross examination from defense attorney Andrew Baldwin, Shank said she never saw any other tips regarding Richard Allen or “Richard Allen Whiteman.” She simply thought the report was “something to look in to.”
How they put this together is fascinating to me. Each case is so different on when evidence materialized. It just goes to show how important it is to go back and check on all those old cold cases out there.

They may well do that but the bullet and his lying about the time he was there is going to sink him.

I have bolded some of the testimony that is significant to me.
Witnesses are Shank, Dulin, Mullin, Liggett, Vido and Holeman in this link. See below.

By: WRTV Staff
Posted 7:04 PM, Oct 24, 2024

DELPHI — Six witnesses took the stand on Thursday in Day 6 of the Delphi Murders Trial. The focus of the testimony was on the early stages as investigators started to build a case against Richard Allen.

Allen is accused of killing Abby Williams and Libby German in February 2017.

Misfiled report brings Allen to forefront

The first witness was Kathy Shank, a retired CPS worker and volunteer clerk who organized and evaluated approximately 14,000 tips received by law enforcement regarding the murders in Delphi.

Shank testified she started helping with the case in March 2017. The tips received by police filled five filing cabinets. In September 2020, she was asked to digitize that paperwork into a database. The digitization took two years.

Shank said investigators were moving buildings in 2022 when she found a box in a desk drawer that contained a lead sheet from February 16, 2017. It was labeled "Richard Allen Whiteman.” The tip indicated Allen had been on the trail on February 13, 2017. Shank testified the file had the word "CLEARED" written on it and said, "I don't know how that tip ended up in that box."

Shank took the tip to Tony Liggett, the lead investigator on the case.

The name of the file was changed from Richard Allen Whiteman to Richard Allen on September 21, 2022. Whiteman is the name of the street where Allen lived.

The file revealed that Allen self-reported he was on the trail the last day family members saw the girls. Shank said that was the only tip provided.

During cross-examination defense attorney Andrew Baldwin asked Shank, "Did you ever see a tip ⁶about a guy walking down the road, bloody like he slaughtered a pig?" Shank answered, "Not that I know of."

On redirect prosecuting attorney Stacey Diener asked Shank, "Would a roadblock tip be given to you?" Shank answered, "Didn't believe so."

One jury member asked Shank how she determined the name on the original Allen file was incorrect. She responded that she put it together based on her knowledge of the town and by looking at the previous narrative.

DNR officer is first to interview Allen

The second witness to testify Thursday was Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer Daniel Dulin. At the time of the murders, Dulin was a lieutenant with the Indiana State Police and was involved with the command center. He followed up on leads received by police.

He showed the court a lead sheet and explained to the jury what information goes onto the sheet.

"Name, contact, narrative, identifying number, who provided to, what officer should do," Dulin instructed.

He said he picked up a lead sheet on February 18, 2017, and then called Richard Allen.

He asked to meet at Allen's house but said Allen preferred to meet in a grocery store parking lot. At that time, Dulin believed Allen's full name was "Richard Allen Whiteman."

Dulin testified Allen told him he was at the Monon High Bridge Trail on February 13, 2017 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. That was a change from the time he originally told police (1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.)

Allen told Dulin he parked in the Farm Bureau parking lot and that he saw three girls on the trails. He said he parked at the old DCS office and walked toward the Monon High Bridge.

Dulin described his encounter with Allen as "brief, about five to ten minutes."

He did not videotape or take an audio recording of the conversation. He did ask for Allen's cell phone information including the 14 digit MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier) number for the phone.

During questioning, Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland asked Dulin, "When you spoke to Richard Allen, he told you he ran into three girls. Did he give you any information on what way the three girls were going?"

"Not that I know of," said Dulin.

Dulin did not follow up on the lead and returned it to the investigation center.

In September 2022, Dulin testified that he received a call from Former Delphi Police Chief Steve Mullin asking if had ever talked with Richard Allen.

Dulin said the "name didn't sound familiar to me, but I went back to the computer and typed in Richard Allen, notes came up about an interview in Feb(ruary) of 2017."

Dulin began a search on Allen in the DNR Point of Sale System. That system keeps track of information gathered from hunting and fishing licenses issued by the state of Indiana.

It displayed Allen's phone number as well as fishing licenses for Allen and his wife. The licenses include the height, weight, date of birth, and any changes made to the license holder's profile.

Mullin learned a change had been made to Allen's height in April 2017. It had been 5'4", but was switched to to 5'6" on his fishing license. Allen's weight also dropped by 15 pounds.

"I just thought it was uncommon," said Dulin.

At that point, Dulin was asked to point to Allen in the courtroom.

During cross-examination, defense attorney Rozzi asked how Allen had contacted law enforcement.

Dulin said, "I don't know how he contacted law enforcement. I just know he contacted law enforcement."

Regarding the change in the fishing license information, the defense asked if Dulin knew who entered the new height and weight information into the system.

Dulin responded, "No."

Rozzi said someone had to verify Allen's credit card information, and claimed there were previous references to Allen's height as 5'6" on his license.

Back to the scene

Dulin told the court he canvassed the crime scene numerous times throughout the investigation, including during the first week of the investigation. He was there on February 17, 2017.

He testified he found sticks and branches that caught his attention. He said they had blood on them and were piled up in a 5-foot area.

That was after the crime scene near the Monon High Bridge Trail had been released by authorities.

Dulin testified to calling the investigation center and asking them to go back to the scene to collect the sticks.

Unspent bullet

The defense asked if Dulin immediately noticed deer stands in the woods.

He responded, "Yes."

The defense questioned how uncommon it would be to find shell casings — both spent and unspent — in the woods.

Dulin said, "It wouldn't be to find from a rifle, but not a handgun."

The defense attorney continued, "Is it unusual to see hunters and fishermen have handguns when they go out?"

Dulin said, "No sir."

"Have you ever heard of Smith & Wesson?" questioned the attorney.

Dulin replied, "Yes."

One juror asked if Dulin could remember what Allen's hair was like when he first interviewed Allen in 2017. He said he could not.

Former Delphi Police Chief Steve Mullin too the stand to share more information from his October 2022 interview with Allen.

He stated Allen believed he was driving his Ford Focus when he went to the High Bridge Trail in 2017. Allen still owned the car in 2022. Allen told investigators he may have gone through the country to get to the trail that day, and if he went through the country that day, he would have passed a business called Hoosier Harvest. Hoosier Harvest has surveillance cameras at that location.

Allen stated he may have driven to the trail by traveling on route W 300 N.

Allen told police he was wearing blue jeans, a blue or black Carrhartt jacket, a skullcap, and military-style boots or tennis shoes.

When asked if he saw anyone on the trail, he said he saw three women — one older woman and two younger women. Investigators asked Allen if they could see his phone. He originally agreed, but changed his mind, got agitated, and then walked out of the interview.

Mullin said during the interview Allen was asked if the "Bridge Guy" was him, and Allen responded, "If the picture was the one that was taken on the girl's camera, there's no way it could be me."

Defense attorney Andrew Baldwin began the cross-examination of Mullin.

He claimed nowhere in the transcript of Allen's interview did it say Allen may have driven west on 300 N. Baldwin asked Mullin to find that portion in the transcript.

The court sat quietly waiting for Mullin to answer. After seven minutes, Mullin said, "That was my interpretation."

Mullin told the jury he found it strange that Allen mentioned the picture on the girl's phone.

Jurors had three questions — including "Did you investigate how many black Ford Focuses in Carroll County?"

Mullin responded, "No."

Another juror asked, "Did you look to see if his (Allen's) other car (a 2006 Ford 500) was on (the surveillance) video (at the Hoosier Harvest location)?"

Mullin responded, "Yes, wasn't there."

State witness #25

State witness number 25 was Tony Liggett. He is the Carroll County Sheriff.

He was questioned by prosecuting attorney Nicholas McLeland.

In September of 2022, he reviewed the tip found by Kathy Shank regarding Allen.

"It stuck out. I wasn't aware anyone had seen three girls on the trail that day. We believed it was 'Bridge Guy,'" said Liggett.

The jury was shown a video of "Bridge Guy" for a third time. This time the video that was shown had been enhanced to stabilize the man and to listen to what was being said. "Guys, down the hill."

Family members of the victims cried as the video was played.

Liggett learned Allen owned a 2016 Ford Focus and a 2006 Ford 500. He found that Allen worked at a CVS drugstore in Delphi. Liggett said he took pictures of Allen's car parked at that drugstore.

He found it interesting the vehicle backed into a parking spot at the CVS, observing the car backed into the DCS building lot as well.

Liggett shared Allen's timeline of events from February 13, 2017.

Allen told them he visited his mother that day, parked at the DCS lot, that he had been on the Monon High Bridge Trails from 12 p.m. until 1:30 p.m. that day. He said he passed three girls on the bridge, and said if he was going out of town he would normally drive his Ford Focus because it was more reliable than his other car.

Liggett believed Allen's comment about where he parked and his timeline was "wishy-washy."

Sheriff Liggett also testified to what was found in September 2022 when investigators executed a search warrant at Allen's house. Among the items found at the home were:

• a .40 caliber handgun
  • some ammunition
  • a single .40 caliber bullet in a keep-safe box in the master bedroom of the home
  • a blue Carhartt jacket
  • a gun registered to Allen was found in the nightstand beside Allen's bed
During cross-examination, defense attorney Baldwin questioned Liggett if he was running for sheriff.
Liggett responded, "Yes."

He asked how much of a pay raise Liggett would receive if he won.

Liggett responded, "$50,000."

Baldwin followed by asking if an arrest would increase his chances of being elected.

Liggett responded, "This had nothing to do with me. It had to do with two little girls."

Sheriff Liggett said he knew at some point that information regarding the crime scene had been leaked.

The defense contends no one saw Allen on surveillance video walking where cars were parked.

Liggett said he believed Allen acted alone in this case.

The defense asked, "Out of the hundreds of thousands of pieces of evidence, digital evidence, does any tie to Richard Allen?"

Liggett said, "No."

Two more witnesses were called on Thursday evening.

David Vido, an ISP detective, assisted in the search of Allen's home on October 13, 2022.

He took pictures of the home which also showed a Ford Focus outside.

Nearly 30 knives and at least four box cutters found inside the home were confiscated.

12 phones, including outdated phones, two pagers and two SD cards were also taken for evidence.

The defense asked Vido if it was uncommon for a hunter or fisherman to have knives.

Vido also said the jacket, car, and knives were all tested but nothing came back linking those items to the crime scene.

Underwear and socks missing from the scene were not found at Allen's house.

ISP Lt. Jerry Holeman testified regarding his supervision of the search. He sat in the car with Allen.

Holeman said when he asked if Allen wanted to fill out forms for any of the items found during the search, Allen said, "It doesn't matter. It's over."

Holeman said Allen said that twice, which he found interesting.

The defense also questioned how investigators handled the unspent bullet. They asked if photography could damage a bullet.

Holeman said, "Yes, depending on how it's handled.
I heard it said that he could’ve said “it’s over” because this case was so huge in his area that he figured that if they were looking at him, they were going to bamboozle him into being the killer. Or the obvious, he felt it was because he was guilty. Could go either way.

When Chad Daybell told his daughter that he wasn’t coming back as he was sitting in the police car, that was more poignant to me because they were digging up graves in his own yard.

That's why it's so important "if you see something, say something". That's not just for this case.
It sounds like they did??? I wouldn't think anything about seeing somebody muddy/wet coming from an area with a body of water. I live by a creek and I see kids wet and muddy all the time. I wouldn't know anything to report unless I had heard about something happening later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom