JOSHUA "JJ" VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN, TAMMY DAYBELL, & CHARLES VALLOW: State of Idaho/Arizona vs. Lori & Chad Daybell *GUILTY*

1580704661510.png

Police seem to be no closer to finding 7-year-old Joshua “JJ” Vallow and 17-year-old Tylee Ryan than they were when this story began months ago.

Since that time, the story has gained international attention as it’s taken twists and turns involving a purported cult, dead spouses, delusions of divinity and preparing for the end of the world. Despite all the angles, and the ever-growing number of people related to the case, the facts remain essentially the same as when it was first announced.

The two children remain missing and the parents, Lori (Vallow) Daybell, and her new husband, Chad Daybell, refuse to disclose their whereabouts to police. Both have been named persons of interest in the disappearance of the children. Law enforcement is also investigating the deaths of the Daybells’ previous respective spouses, Charles Vallow and Tammy Daybell, though neither Chad nor Lori have been named suspects in those cases.

Written timeline of events
  • April 3, 2018 - Tylee Ryan's father, Joseph Ryan, dies. Death ruled heart attack.
  • December 2018 - Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow make first appearance on Preparing a People podcast.
  • February 2019 - Charles Vallow files for divorce from Lori, claiming she viewed herself as a god preparing for the second coming, and she would kill him if he got in her way.
  • February - April 2019 - Lori disappears for nearly two months, leaving her children with others.
  • June 2019 - Lori's niece demands a divorce from her husband, who says she shares similar beliefs to her aunt.
  • July 11, 2019 - Charles Vallow shot and killed by Lori's brother Alex Cox. Shooting initially ruled self-defense.
  • August 2019 - Lori moves to Rexburg, Idaho with kids
  • September 3, 2019 - Joshua "JJ" Vallow enrolled in school
  • September 23, 2019 - JJ last attended school
  • September 24, 2019 - Lori unenrolls JJ from school, saying she would be homeschooling him.
  • September 2019 - Tylee also seen in September, but it's unclear when and where (she had graduated early)
  • October 2, 2019 - Lori's niece's ex-husband was shot at, missing his head by inches. Shooter was driving a vehicle registered to Charles Vallow.
  • October 9, 2019 - Tammy Daybell, Chad's wife, called 911 and said a masked man shot at her with a paintball gun.
  • October 19, 2019 - Tammy Daybell dies, death is ruled natural
  • October 25, 2019 - Tylee, or someone using her phone, texts a friend
  • Late October / Early November 2019 - Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow get married
  • November 26, 2019 - Welfare check requested for JJ at the request of extended family - police are told he is in Arizona with family, but he is not
  • November 27, 2019 - Police return to serve a search warrant, finding the Daybell's gone
  • December 12, 2019 - Lori's brother, who had shot her ex-husband, dies mysteriously in Arizona
  • December 20, 2019 - Search for JJ and Tylee goes public
  • December 30, 2019 - LE says Lori knows where her children are but will not cooperate
  • January 25, 2020 - Chad & Lori are located in Hawaii, served with a notice that she must produce the children within 5 days
  • January 30, 2020 - Lori fails to produce JJ and Tylee

1580705763474.png

edited by staff to add new media link

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I'm pretty close to one of the temples, so I should at least get to see what happens! :teehee:

this one north of the river
Kansas City | Lds temple pictures, Lds temples, Temple pictures

or would it possibly be this one in Independence where they held oldest's graduation?

1683290506177.jpeg

So curious as to which one it could be happening! :teehee:

Published at 3:44 pm, May 4, 2023 | Updated at 5:41 pm, May 4, 2023

Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com

4:17 p.m. Prior says he is fine with having the trial in June 2024. Nothing else in this hearing. Court is adjourned.

4:16 p.m. One of the prosecutors has an event next May, so prosecutors ask if Boyce is considering next year, June would be preferred. Blake says the state is not opposed to having the trial earlier. The months of March, April and May are problematic.

4:14 p.m. Blake has some concerns if the trial is scheduled in the fall as there could be some issues with holidays. Prior says the fall will be problematic for him. Boyce will take the requests under advisement and will set the trial date “fairly soon” after speaking with the attorneys further.

4:12 p.m. Boyce asks Prior when all the DNA will be tested. Prior says it will take 60 days from when he tests it. Prior says it hasn’t been tested yet because he needs to get with Rob Wood to set up parameters.

4:11 p.m. Prior says he’s been working well with prosecutors, and they have offered to put all of the evidence on one hard drive to make it easier for him and his experts.

4:10 p.m. Prior says he predicts the trial will take 10 to 12 weeks, including time to pick the jury, time for prosecutors and defense, and the mitigation phase. Prior asks to hold the trial in May 2024.

4:08 p.m. Boyce asks Prior when he thinks the trial should be held. Prior says he plans to call 7-8 experts to the stand and will need an entire transcript of Lori Daybell’s trial. Prior says he doesn’t want to run into discovery issues and says Chad will need time to go over the entire audio of Lori’s trial.

4:07 p.m. Blake says if the jury questionnaire process is the same at Lori’s, the trial could go into nine weeks. Also, acting in the mitigation/death penalty phase, nine weeks would be safer.

4:04 p.m. Boyce asks defense attorneys and prosecutors for input on when Chad’s trial should be scheduled. Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake says the trial will take eight weeks and will defer to the court on schedule but Blake asks to keep witness schedules and holidays in mind.

4:02 p.m. We see Chad on the big screen in the courtroom. He is dressed in a white shirt and tie.

4 p.m. This hearing is being held in the same courtroom with Judge Boyce. Court personnel are working on getting the Zoom feed from the Fremont County Jail.

3:53 p.m. Jim Archibald and John Prior have swapped seats. Archibald watching the proceedings from the audience and Prior is setting up at the defense table. Waiting on Judge Boyce to enter the courtroom. Lori Daybell is not here. She was taken from the courtroom back to the Ada County Jail.

3:43 p.m. A status conference is being held in Chad Daybell’s case. John Prior, his attorney, and prosecutors are in the Ada County Courthouse. Chad will join via Zoom from the Fremont County Jail. I will post live updates as the hearing begins.

So why the heck did the judge say it is hearsay? One of them is Lori who is the one on trial, one is Chad who is also going to be on trial, and the other is Melanie who could still be called as a witness.
Hearsay is anything you didn't hear directly from the person TO you.

I'm sure the police got a warrant to record the calls. So, they would be admissible.
One would think so but I'm not so sure. I've never heard one word about a warrant for this that I can recall. And it wasn't really the police recording the calls, it was Ian offering to do so.

Also, I think at a certain point Ian told Melanie such was being done and that wasn't the plan...

He was a police informant so technically authorized by them to record it.
I don't know but it still doesn't make it admissible necessarily. An officer can get some info off the street from someone, some hearsay and it can lead to real evidence but that hearsay isn't evidence. That's what I think was going on here. Ian hoped to get something that would help find the kids. Not to get evidence that would hold up in court necessarily, just locate the children.

Well Boyce wouldn't allow them because they were hearsay. We just cannot follow why they are hearsay and why the defence wanted them played.
I follow the part of why they were hearsay. As to the defense, I guess they want to cause their own appeal basis by getting Boyce to decide in error...? Because I seriously doubt anything in them would be that helpful to Lori, although he was centered on one... It probably just had her referencing Chad... It is become quite clear that yes, they will try to pin this on Chad if need be and he IS going there.

I follow the part of why they were hearsay. As to the defense, I guess they want to cause their own appeal basis by getting Boyce to decide in error...? Because I seriously doubt anything in them would be that helpful to Lori, although he was centered on one... It probably just had her referencing Chad... It is become quite clear that yes, they will try to pin this on Chad if need be and he IS going there.
Well I still can't nevertheless. It is a little clearer now Nate has explained who all were on the recordings but if you are listening to an actual recording of people talking, I cannot see that it is hearsay. We would actually be listening to them personally, not being told by somebody else what they said. Anyhow I've flogged this one to within an inch of it's death so will shut up now.

This is another source. The defence wanted to play them but the prosecution objected it was hearsay evidence and the judge upheld that. Further on in this source it seems that Lori and Chad knew Alex was going to die. They warned Melaniece there was going to be a spiritual attack and then Alex died.

"One of those calls involved a conversation between Melani, Daybell and Vallow Daybell following Alex Cox‘s passing.

Ian said during this call, Melani was “told by Chad and Lori that there would be a spiritual attack that day and to get a place of safety.”

He continued, “When Alex died, it felt very strange to me they called that out right before it happened.”

Ian was then released by the state, but the defense said they may call him as a witness later in the trial."
This might explain why Audrey was scared to talk about Lori threatening to kill her during the grand jury. I was thinking that how could she think Lori could kill her if she was locked up, but she might’ve believe that Lori could kill her in the way, she killed Alex. If she believed Lori killed Alex via spirits.

Well I still can't nevertheless. It is a little clearer now Nate has explained who all were on the recordings but if you are listening to an actual recording of people talking, I cannot see that it is hearsay. We would actually be listening to them personally, not being told by somebody else what they said. Anyhow I've flogged this one to within an inch of it's death so will shut up now.
I see when looking at it and you wording it that way what you mean. If it was a news interview or some such then yeah but I suspect the way this was obtained, along with Mel P. quite possibly being aware of it and then the fact he wasn't a participant makes it rife with issues.

Also I thought for the most part all he could record was the one side, at least with a phone conversation...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phillip
Back
Top Bottom