LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So when the trial actually begins, will the gag order finally be lifted, so that daily reporting will be fully allowed? Will we see full transcripts of court testimonies for example? Does anyone know how it will all work?
It should be, imo. Will they actually fully report though? Imo they could report anything said at hearings but they sure didn't cover such very well.

Gag orders imo are until trial.

As far as transcripts, probably not going to happen until paid for and accessed, they can try during.

I mean attorneys can have court reporters reread things that were just said, but as far as transcribed, it can be requested, just imo but how quick that would happen for news or anyone, I would guess not going to be immediate.

It's just my opinion. I sure don't know sh*t.

BUT yes, all should be lifted and lifted after for sure, as to accessing all, etc.

So when the trial actually begins, will the gag order finally be lifted, so that daily reporting will be fully allowed? Will we see full transcripts of court testimonies for example? Does anyone know how it will all work?
Glad to see you. This is within days now. Monday isn't it for jury selection?

Yes i think it is jury selection then opening statements scheduled for Friday, I believe.

For now I'm not really interested in many other cases, except LISK.
I can totally get that. Dialing back myself except for certain cases and only if big news, although likely for our own reasons. Completely understand though where you are coming from and why...

I thought trial started the 17th or Thursday, maybe I have that wrong If openings are Friday.

Whatever the case, as of Monday jury selection starts and it all starts and will proceed at some point next week. This coming week in fact.

Well there's more filings than I think I knew of and he as alwasy goes through them for us. He ends though with a list of four prisoners the D wants transported to testify, and talks of one and a letter he wrote in particular. Emu may like this as the man makes claims about Ron Logan. I buy nothing in it but each can interpret for self.

no one including Tom seems to be sure what if anything will go on Thursday but my guess it was left open as Gull may well be ruling on last minute motions.

There of course are other motions, all by the D. I sure was not up on all of them. Nothing over the top imo. State may do a last minute response I guess, they certainly have a right to.

Worth the under 14 minutes imo. It's all covering the filings in the last week through yesterday.

No phones, no laptops, no cameras in Delphi murders trial of Richard Allen. Here's how we'll report​

Our presence in the courtroom will be critical to Hoosiers' understanding of the proceedings. Here's why.

While Allen has the constitutional right to a public trial, Special Judge Frances Gull has given orders that will limit public access to only those who are actually in the courtrooms — in Fort Wayne for jury selection and in Delphi for the trial. No video or audio recording is allowed.

Gull has the unenviable task of managing a charged environment that will maintain the integrity of the trial, along with the safety of the accused and friends and family of the victims seeking closure from this horrific crime.

But to do that, the judge has clamped down on all electronic communication into and out of the courtroom, banning cellphones, smartwatches, laptops, audio recorders, TV cameras and digital cameras. Media seating has also been greatly restricted, and at Gull's direction, members of the Indiana and national press corps have developed a "pool" approach to ensure all professional news outlets have access to what happens in court each day to share with their audiences.

Ensuring public access to the trial through trustworthy reporting from the courtroom has not been a given for this case, but we consider it vital and have put significant effort toward its preservation.

Without digital tools to aid our reporting in the courtroom, reporters will rely on handwritten notes that will be transcribed outside of the court and then form the basis of our daily reporting. A team of staffers will work together to bring you the latest news as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

Here's what you can expect from IndyStar and the Journal & Courier after jury selection is completed and the trial starts, likely Friday.

Each weekday, Journal & Courier reporter Ron Wilkins will report from the court's morning session, with a daily update posted at jconline.com and indystar.com by early afternoon. IndyStar reporters Sarah Nelson and Jordan Smith will cover the afternoon and Saturday sessions, with new reporting coming each weekday evening and Saturday afternoon.

The weight of justice:Delphi murder case jurors will face unimaginable pressure, life-changing decision

A recap of each full day at trial will appear in the next available print edition in both Indianapolis and Lafayette.

A team of editors and reporters in both newsrooms will support our reporters in Delphi, ensuring that you always have the latest from the trial.

Covering this trial is a large undertaking, especially considering that it's scheduled to continue through the Nov. 5 election and some of our most important political reporting in the past four years. But we're committed to telling Central Indiana's stories and keeping you informed on all fronts.

No phones, no laptops, no cameras in Delphi murders trial of Richard Allen. Here's how we'll report​

Our presence in the courtroom will be critical to Hoosiers' understanding of the proceedings. Here's why.

While Allen has the constitutional right to a public trial, Special Judge Frances Gull has given orders that will limit public access to only those who are actually in the courtrooms — in Fort Wayne for jury selection and in Delphi for the trial. No video or audio recording is allowed.

Gull has the unenviable task of managing a charged environment that will maintain the integrity of the trial, along with the safety of the accused and friends and family of the victims seeking closure from this horrific crime.

But to do that, the judge has clamped down on all electronic communication into and out of the courtroom, banning cellphones, smartwatches, laptops, audio recorders, TV cameras and digital cameras. Media seating has also been greatly restricted, and at Gull's direction, members of the Indiana and national press corps have developed a "pool" approach to ensure all professional news outlets have access to what happens in court each day to share with their audiences.

Ensuring public access to the trial through trustworthy reporting from the courtroom has not been a given for this case, but we consider it vital and have put significant effort toward its preservation.

Without digital tools to aid our reporting in the courtroom, reporters will rely on handwritten notes that will be transcribed outside of the court and then form the basis of our daily reporting. A team of staffers will work together to bring you the latest news as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

Here's what you can expect from IndyStar and the Journal & Courier after jury selection is completed and the trial starts, likely Friday.

Each weekday, Journal & Courier reporter Ron Wilkins will report from the court's morning session, with a daily update posted at jconline.com and indystar.com by early afternoon. IndyStar reporters Sarah Nelson and Jordan Smith will cover the afternoon and Saturday sessions, with new reporting coming each weekday evening and Saturday afternoon.

The weight of justice:Delphi murder case jurors will face unimaginable pressure, life-changing decision

A recap of each full day at trial will appear in the next available print edition in both Indianapolis and Lafayette.

A team of editors and reporters in both newsrooms will support our reporters in Delphi, ensuring that you always have the latest from the trial.

Covering this trial is a large undertaking, especially considering that it's scheduled to continue through the Nov. 5 election and some of our most important political reporting in the past four years. But we're committed to telling Central Indiana's stories and keeping you informed on all fronts.
Old school shorthand would be a huge asset in this.

I said the same back a ways in the thread.

I'm still irked by this total ban. I see no reason at all she could not have allowed voice recorders with no internet capability. At MINIMUM.

So Tom has been busy scheduling his lives and times for each night of trial. I see he has at least six up already and perhaps even has done all the days, haven't had a chance to look. If I do or go into his channel site and there's a listen of all maybe I'll get around to linking that, not going to link each individually right now.

Not sure what he is doing each night, if he is just going to take news coverage for the day or what (that would not be like him though at all) or if he will have say MS or Aspen as a source from someone attending, or hoping to attend--who knows who will get in...

That's another thing with this, they could at least have an overflow room with live feed JUST to those physically in attendance.

Gull's stringency on all of this imo has went too far.

I mean there is nothing stopping anyone from leaving during break to my knowledge and reporting on break so what's the darned difference? Anyone can, citizen, news, etc.

So what's the difference, she can't control all of that--so let overflow have a room and just ensure they don't have electronic devices, etc. just as she is doing for the courtroom. I see no reason they could not allow for more to attend with an overflow room.

So top two rows on here are Tom's nightly lives for trial. He has 7 up so looks like he will be scheduling them a week at a time. Makes sense not to do the month's worth right away as who knows if the trial will go that long. Rather than link each, I put all up by linking his page.

I may or may not link each individual one on watching them or on each day if time, but not now.

WELL, it's Monday and it's show time for the Delph trial, beginning with jury selection... Are we going to go off as planned...? Looking like it but not until it starts am I going to breath half of a sigh of relief. I'll breathe the other half sigh at the end if it isn't derailed during trial, etc.

I'm fairly bitter, imagine that, that Gull did not even give reporters any option, like old school recording, rather than taking just handwritten notes. I think it's a poor decision to go that far with it, and isn't a good look either.

We will see how the actual news media does this time. They didn't do very well on a lot less days of hearings whatsoever. Imo.

The article above they even point out how busy with their big political coverage that will be in a hot month as we lead to November, but that they somehow will fit this in or something on that order, and are dedicated to doing so. Okay, we will see...

I think as before far more will come WHEN they have time, maybe after, from less traditional news sources, as it did last time. Like YTers.

Oh, the link! Here it is.

Looks like he is aiming for after court at 5:30 each night.

Well I'm interested to see when I got home late tonight what this day has brought for news as to jury selection, if anything. Probably little until actual trial but still curious to see.

TIS the day...

Last edited:
10 jurors are already seated as of 1 pm today. 6 more still required.

The state have listed more than 50 witnesses, while the defence have more than 120. 170 divided by 25 days is an average of about 7 witnesses per day so it seems doable.

Seems like it is full speed ahead.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. — As of 1 p.m. Monday, 24 potential jurors had been questioned and 10 had been selected: six women and four men. That means only six members remain to be selected (two jurors, four alternates), according to WTHR-TV.
It's been almost eight years since two girls — Liberty "Libby" German and Abigail "Abby" Williams — went missing during a hike to the Monon High Bridge.
Starting Monday, Oct. 14, the trial for Richard Allen has begun by selecting a jury in Fort Wayne. Judge Frances Gull has set aside three full days to select 16 members of the jury (12 jurors and four alternates).
Fifty-two potential jurors were brought into the Allen County Courthouse on Monday morning, and 50 more are expected in the afternoon.
Three attorneys for the state and three for the defense were in the courtroom, along with Gull.
Allen walked into the courtroom shortly before 9 a.m. wearing a light purple button-down shirt and khaki pants, the first time he's been seen in a public court appearance not wearing a prison jumpsuit since his arrest two years ago. WTHR senior reporter Bob Segall described Allen as pale but appearing to be in much better physical condition since he had been moved out of state prison.
Gull came into the courtroom around 9 a.m. and explained the process to follow. Potential jurors watched a video before being brought into the courtroom. The defense and state were then each given 30 minutes to question each group of jurors.
The groups of about 50 jurors heard a mini opening statement from the state and defense before being questioned by both sides. Twelve potential jurors were questioned at a time in groups.
Gull told the potential jurors that the trial is expected to last until Nov. 15.
Each side (prosecution and defense) receives 10 strikes for the jury selection process and two more strikes for alternates.
The state listed more than 50 witnesses they plan to call, and the defense listed more than 120 witness they plan to call.FORT WAYNE, Ind. — As of 1 p.m. Monday, 24 potential jurors had been questioned and 10 had been selected: six women and four men. That means only six members remain to be selected (two jurors, four alternates), according to WTHR-TV.
It's been almost eight years since two girls — Liberty "Libby" German and Abigail "Abby" Williams — went missing during a hike to the Monon High Bridge.
Starting Monday, Oct. 14, the trial for Richard Allen has begun by selecting a jury in Fort Wayne. Judge Frances Gull has set aside three full days to select 16 members of the jury (12 jurors and four alternates).
Fifty-two potential jurors were brought into the Allen County Courthouse on Monday morning, and 50 more are expected in the afternoon.
Three attorneys for the state and three for the defense were in the courtroom, along with Gull.
Allen walked into the courtroom shortly before 9 a.m. wearing a light purple button-down shirt and khaki pants, the first time he's been seen in a public court appearance not wearing a prison jumpsuit since his arrest two years ago. WTHR senior reporter Bob Segall described Allen as pale but appearing to be in much better physical condition since he had been moved out of state prison.
Gull came into the courtroom around 9 a.m. and explained the process to follow. Potential jurors watched a video before being brought into the courtroom. The defense and state were then each given 30 minutes to question each group of jurors.
The groups of about 50 jurors heard a mini opening statement from the state and defense before being questioned by both sides. Twelve potential jurors were questioned at a time in groups.
Gull told the potential jurors that the trial is expected to last until Nov. 15.
Each side (prosecution and defense) receives 10 strikes for the jury selection process and two more strikes for alternates.
The state listed more than 50 witnesses they plan to call, and the defense listed more than 120 witness they plan to call.In their mini opening statement, the state said "bridge guy" ... "brutally murdered Abby and Libby, then casually walked back to his car and went home." The "bridge guy" left a clue, the prosecution said, a bullet found at the crime scene. The state said it would prove Richard Allen is the "bridge guy," and that jurors would hear how he allegedly confessed to the murders and why.
In their mini opening statement, the defense said Allen confessed to shooting the girls in the back, but the evidence shows they were not shot. "Richard Allen confessed to a crime he didn't commit," his lawyers said, adding that in the four months before his confession, he was "languishing" in solitary confinement in prison. His lawyers said that a psychologist will tell you "these are the ingredients for false confessions" and described the state's evidence as "soft."
Among the potential jurors dismissed by Gull included a person who said a family member had been murdered in California and one who said they were a psychic.
At one point during defense questioning, Andrew Baldwin, part of Allen's defense team, stood behind him in court with his hands on his shoulders and said, "You guys, look at this man right here. Is it really possible that he might be innocent of this crime?" Allen smiled at the jury and the jury just stared back. The state objected. Baldwin then said to the potential jurors, "I need you to look in your hearts and minds."
Even if the jury is selected in just a day or two, opening statements in the trial will not begin until Friday, Oct. 18, as scheduled because of transportation and hotel arrangements for the jury.

2 hours ago

Last edited:
Older article but interesting...

Allen's attorneys want the judge to suppress the statements, contending they were made involuntarily and under the throes of a mental health crisis while he was being held in solitary confinement.

Defense attorney Bradley Rozzi said allowing those statements to be presented at Allen’s trial violates his due process rights. He also cited the conditions under which Allen was placed, saying it amounted to coercion by the state. “The actions of the state," Rozzi said, drove Allen to make those statements.

But the prosecution wants Gull to dismiss the motion to suppress, saying there had been no attempts to force those confessions out of Allen.

Stacy Diener, one of the prosecutors, said the statements ― including those Allen made during calls with his wife and mother ― were not made during “custodial interrogations.” Allen "was fully aware that his statements were unsolicited," Diener said.

Allen made the statements during phone conversations with his wife and mother, and to other inmates who were assigned as “companion inmates” while Allen was on suicide watch. He also made statements to prison guards and to the warden and chaplain at Westville, where he was kept in a segregation unit and was under constant video surveillance.

Brian Harshman, a detective with the Indiana State Police who monitored calls Allen made from the prison, testified that he noticed changes in Allen's behavior in March 2023, when he began saying he'd found God.

Allen began confessing to his family several days later, Harshman said, and kept confessing to them and to other people in the months that followed.

Allen's wife and mother became "extremely upset" during those calls, Harshman testified.

Delphi murder case:Marred by delays and endless fights, Richard Allen's trial becoming a 'legal disaster'

"As the confessions went on," he said, Allen's mother would tell him that "they're messing with you." Allen's wife implored him to stop talking, Harshman said.

Allen, Harshman said, talked about why he killed the girls and why he delayed in confessing, although the detective did not elaborate on what those motivations were. Harshman also said Allen expressed fears that his family will no longer love him after the trial, during which they will see graphic photos of the girls' bodies.

Harshman, though, acknowledged during questioning from the defense that Allen also proclaimed his innocence during other conversations.

Contradicting claims of mistreatment by the defense, Harshman said he never saw any evidence of coercion and said Allen was treated better than other inmates.

A mental health crisis or faked symptoms?​

Over several hours of testimony, Dr. Monica Wala, the lead psychologist at Westville who had therapy sessions with Allen, testified that his mental health began to deteriorate in April 2023, around the time he began confessing.

Allen started expressing suicidal thoughts and feelings of hopelessness. He was seen banging his head on the wall to the point that his face was severely bruised, Wala testified. He began eating his own feces. His thoughts were disjointed. During some sessions, Wala said Allen was trembling and his eyes were twitching.

During questioning from Rozzi, Wala admitted having conversations with Allen about whether he's competent to stand trial. She also said Allen met the criteria of having a serious mental illness, a designation that would've placed a 30-day limit to his solitary confinement. But he was kept in isolation because of the safekeeping order, Wala testified, adding that Allen's safety from other inmates was a priority.

Monday is day one of a three-day jury selection for the Delphi murders trial in Allen County.

12 jurors will decide the fate of Richard Allen, 52, who is charged with multiple counts of murder in the deaths of Abby Williams and Libby German, teen girls whose bodies were found near the Monon High Bridge in Carroll County in 2017. There will also be four alternates.

So far, 14 jurors have been seated with eight of them being women and six being men.

The jurors have a variety of backgrounds including, a nurse, a counselor, a retired man, two with law enforcement families, and one who has been on three other juries.

14 jurors seated so far in Delphi murders trial​

Fourteen people were chosen to sit on the jury in the Delphi murders trial by the end of jury selection on Monday in Allen County.

Around 300 summons were sent to prospective Allen County jurors. Eventually, 12 jurors and four alternates will be selected.

Several jurors have been dismissed, including a prospective juror who claimed to have psychic abilities. Another juror was dismissed after telling the court he didn’t “like the color green.”

The jury will be sequestered for up to a month as it decides Allen’s fate.

10 jurors are already seated as of 1 pm today. 6 more still required.

The state have listed more than 50 witnesses, while the defence have more than 120. 170 divided by 25 days is an average of about 7 witnesses per day so it seems doable.

Seems like it is full speed ahead.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. — As of 1 p.m. Monday, 24 potential jurors had been questioned and 10 had been selected: six women and four men. That means only six members remain to be selected (two jurors, four alternates), according to WTHR-TV.
The state listed more than 50 witnesses they plan to call, and the defense listed more than 120 witness they plan to call.FORT WAYNE, Ind. — As of 1 p.m. Monday, 24 potential jurors had been questioned and 10 had been selected: six women and four men. That means only six members remain to be selected (two jurors, four alternates), according to WTHR-TV.
The state listed more than 50 witnesses they plan to call, and the defense listed more than 120 witness they plan to call.In their mini opening statement, the state said "bridge guy" ... "brutally murdered Abby and Libby, then casually walked back to his car and went home." The "bridge guy" left a clue, the prosecution said, a bullet found at the crime scene. The state said it would prove Richard Allen is the "bridge guy," and that jurors would hear how he allegedly confessed to the murders and why.
In their mini opening statement, the defense said Allen confessed to shooting the girls in the back, but the evidence shows they were not shot. "Richard Allen confessed to a crime he didn't commit," his lawyers said, adding that in the four months before his confession, he was "languishing" in solitary confinement in prison. His lawyers said that a psychologist will tell you "these are the ingredients for false confessions" and described the state's evidence as "soft."
Among the potential jurors dismissed by Gull included a person who said a family member had been murdered in California and one who said they were a psychic.
At one point during defense questioning, Andrew Baldwin, part of Allen's defense team, stood behind him in court with his hands on his shoulders and said, "You guys, look at this man right here. Is it really possible that he might be innocent of this crime?" Allen smiled at the jury and the jury just stared back. The state objected. Baldwin then said to the potential jurors, "I need you to look in your hearts and minds."
Even if the jury is selected in just a day or two, opening statements in the trial will not begin until Friday, Oct. 18, as scheduled because of transportation and hotel arrangements for the jury.

2 hours ago
if you ask me, the D risks alienating the jury with 120 witnesses and trying their patience by the end. I think of Daybell and how Rob Wood and other said there was a ton more they could have brought in but they had to really go through it and through it and decide what to focus on and where to STOP. I'm paraphrasing big time but because you want to keep it where the jury can follow and you can put the story and truth together and it was already plenty without taking all they could. Now the D is different, they'd probably love to blizzard and confuse the jury and impose doubts as they tried to with their filings with the public imo. But they also could alienate them. I don't know what they are doing with 120 witnesses, but that's ridiculous in any case and particularly in this one imo.

Of course both sides give lists and then often make choices not to call some but I think they will try to fill all four weeks. Just going by what I'd expect for behavior from them.

So this was at 1 and there were only six to go so it's possible one was even chosen today.

Now we have the answer if picked quicker why it will not proceed until Friday, because that's when travel and accommodations for the jurors start and arrangements have been made for.

They allowed chosen jurors a day off even if it took all three which is nice as once picked, they will want to see their families and make final plans, and say goodbye for a month.

I don't know if judges can choose more alternates and four would be probably pretty common for something big like this trial but I'd go at least six. Not sure if they can do that, but this is a LONG period of sequestration and anything can happen. One of course would hope four would be enough but I say a few more, the better. No one wants this having to be rescheduled yet again.

We had two, ours was a week long. So just mathematically it should be at least 8 for four weeks long. Adding in sequestration and the fact they can't go home each day, maybe more. Just saying, it had better be enough... Maybe they are limited as to how many, does anyone know?

Finally, so Gull struck two. That would seem pretty typical. The judge won't unless feeling they have to and it saves either side a strike. I'd say just because one had a murder in the family doesn't mean he'd be unfair (think it was a he wasn't it?). But maybe more questions resulted in knowing he lt he couldn't. The psychic is an easy one. No one would want some psychic trying to influence the rest of the jury saying she knows what really happened and forget the evidence... Just for an example of why you wouldn't risk such. I wonder how it even came UP, that she professes to be one. Fair reporting here, but no further detail on these two as to why and how it came about but overall, they seem to have kept up with the day. I figured all we would get would be the numbers picked, the number of strikes used by either side, the number the judge herself struck. And tthat's about what we have.

Once picked, today or tomorrow one would think, it will likely be quiet til Friday OTHER than if the motions are decided on or heard publicly in the days in between. Or if anything else is filed. Like a response by the P to the D motions or another motion by the D at the las minute. Etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom