LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
After allowing the prosecution to scrub their own pictures of the supposed killer, I fully realize how incredibly dishonest this trial will be. RA gets no chance to defend himself. The judge has ensured a pre decided verdict. I'm more or less done with this. I will probably check in on "Closing Arguments", but closely following the trial is just going to enrage me.

After allowing the prosecution to scrub their own pictures of the supposed killer, I fully realize how incredibly dishonest this trial will be. RA gets no chance to defend himself. The judge has ensured a pre decided verdict. I'm more or less done with this. I will probably check in on "Closing Arguments", but closely following the trial is just going to enrage me.
They have each had their opening statements and prosecution is having their testimony first. Then it will be the defence's turn. This is the normal way evidence will come out in the trial, which i am sure you will know that. Sketches are not evidence but the video is. Maybe don't follow the prosecution if it enrages you but just come back in a week or two to hear the defence. However, you will not then have both sides.

I only have sympathy for the victims families but i want to hear all the evidence, time of death, phone records etc - all of it.

They have each had their opening statements and prosecution is having their testimony first. Then it will be the defence's turn. This is the normal way evidence will come out in the trial, which i am sure you will know that. Sketches are not evidence but the video is. Maybe don't follow the prosecution if it enrages you but just come back in a week or two to hear the defence. However, you will not then have both sides.

I only have sympathy for the victims families but i want to hear all the evidence, time of death, phone records etc - all of it.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about all of the stuff the judge is not allowing the defense to use.

He shouldn't watch if that's how he feels and isn't open to it imo. However, we can't watch anyhow so what's the difference if you watch closing arguments or any show, that's all any of us have, or read an article.

I take it then the sketches got excluded?

Daughter came over yesterday afternoon so I have seen nothing of the first day of trial yet. I have to work in an hour or two. She spent the night and just left. I thought I'd tell her about the case and put something on to listen to while she was here but it never happened. She hasn't been over in awhile and we talked of everything under the sun and stayed up way too late and so I'm not caught up on a single thing from yesterday. Just now starting to look and will need to go back and start at the beginning. Not that I have much time this morning either. Anyhow from your post here, I'm assuming the sketches were ruled out? I may have heard that yesterday but not sure. She got here before I was seeing any reporting to speak of. I was though watching someone who was constantly checking for news.

The only other thing I've seen when I came on and found myself on a page is that Libby was nude, Abby was dressed in Libby's clothing and the rest were in the creek, and they were both killed by different knives? Does this mean Abby had none of her own clothes on....? I think it was some post above about the opening statement.

Oh, and a brief one about Becky's/grandma's testimony. I also so reference to day 2 of trial and realized I forgot, they are going to hold court on Saturdays, is that right?

I'd only say about that is that this jury is going to have little down time and I'm not sure that is a great idea...

Anyhow, anything you can catch me up on I'd appreciate. I doubt I'm going to be fully catching up for a bit.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about all of the stuff the judge is not allowing the defense to use.
The D didn't ask for them to be used, the P asked for them to be excluded. It might be a minor difference but that's what happened. With this one, I wasn't sure what I thought but could see points to it both ways. Not that they made good points, just my own thoughts and way of looking at it both ways.

All I'll add is with almost all, I have never felt like the D has had a good argument for their own motions nor with response to the P's motions.

Sketches ARE but a tool, truly, in any case. They aren't video. And had they been allowed in and it went the other way, I think it would change the way LE puts out sketches in efforts to find perps too, and I don't think that would be a good thing. They should be looking for anyone and everyone possible in the early days.

You have a real bias in this case and I'm sure you'd say I do as well.

And I can even see why you feel as you do.

It seems like the judge always rules against the D but I look at how most of the D's motions have absolutely had nothing strong enough behind them to get what they want excluded, which was EVERYTHING. As a whole it might seem she is anti D but they threw so much for motions and excluding all everywhere, and had no sound basis for almost ANY of what they wanted. They should have argued EACH confession on a case by case basis for instance. In fact if they had, this trial might not be going on today because it would have taken some major time.

The P has motioned for LITTLE. And they didn't move to keep the video out, Doolin out, and all sorts of things, only the sketches and then of course the third party defenses. The D made no case for KK or RL at all. And re the Os they can't and did not hit the criteria of some real and sound evidence like placing them there, etc. The D did not.

I can see the basis for every single decision. I'd like to see more on the sketch thing but there too, they are simply a tool. And LE does the best they can with things like that when trying to find a perp, or witness, in early days and I don't want to see that end.

This is a heated case and is likely to stay that way and only get more so through trial.

I'm pretty confident they have their man but you aren't. A few here are. And I THINK, not speaking for any others, feel they have the right man too but are not always happy with the decisions.

I haven't caught up yet and probably won't this morning, I should be trying to get a move on but still waiting for the coffee to hit and daughter just left, but I landed on what I think was the last page or that's where I came in at anyhow. I think.

Now I need to go back and see where I left off yesterday, and I think I left off with almost no news here all day and people just starting to share some and find some and come in.

I've had a case or two I can't be part of or feel I should just not be. And there are just some types too, I won't gravitate towards for similar reasons as to how they are apt to get. I either don't watch them or follow in some other way.

Anyhow, we are finally at trial and it will likely be a ride. I'd hope you'd hang on to at least see what both sides have or do, but I know you're not at a place where you feel you can, per your own words.

From what I've heard re the jury, most think a good jury was picked for both sides, all sides, etc.

I'll finish with most people on it have likely seen both sketches at some point in these years. And personally I think a jury can be trusted with a lot and could have been trusted to understand why there might be two sketches. But again they really are just a tool.

I don't know why I am responding at length really. Other than I have felt the same on rare occasion that maybe I should just stay out of this one. Or that one.

This one I have danced out of more than once and taken a break but I'm not leaving it until trial is finished.

it is one of the more heated ones on occasion and out there in the big world as well.

So they were filming the jurors were they? These agencies know that is wrong. WTH were they playing at. Are these barrier sheets they have put up to stop them filming with long range lenses thru the windows?
You may have seen by now, I'm behind, never got to see anything end of day or late afternoon yesterday, last night nor much this morning.

They were filming the jurors?? WHY and WTH is wrong with them?

You know I want to see trials but if there is one thing I don't care if I see and should not see, it is the jurors. If they come out after and choose to, I'm always interested in hearing what they say through, etc. but I don't think even most citizens think we should see the jurors during a trial. So TRULY why in the heck is major news after THAT?

They can appeal it if they lose. There wasn't any evidence to just blame it on a bunch of O's. The sketches were a tool for the police and are not evidence. What other stuff are you on about?

In the testimony today that i just copied and pasted the two female family witnesses today both said they had given their DNA recently and BP said she had given it several times over the years as well.
The hair could be a transfer hair from Kelsey's vehicle so the possibilities are endless for identification.
Just catching up from where I left off. Read several without responding, just catching up but caught that yes with the last two days they've given their DNA again. I'd guess to the hair remark that had absolutely no context. Not surprising.

Just going to add that I believe it's been well documented that ALL of the families members gave their DNA years ago. At least, I am pretty certain I have heard that countless times, just as BP said this isn't the first time.

My only other comment would be it was a female hair which I think I touched on yesterday.

The hair thing isn't bothering me one bit. I will say they should have if they could have tested it against RA's wife, mother, daughter, etc. I doubtt though they had any basis to demand their DNA but could have asked to give such willingly.

The same goes for any friends of Libby's Kelsi's, Abby's, etc. there'd be no basis to demand it but I guess they could ask.

I guess we will find out but this hair bothers me not at all. Certain news sources loved to have something to go all click bait on though.

The fact it is female alone kind of mutes it for me. It would be great if they could use it or would have to match some family member of RA's but BG was not a female and unless now people are going to start saying that man on the bridge could have been a female (please save us if it gets that crazy), well, it just isn't big for me right now but I will wait to see if the D has or can do anything with it. I'm doubting it will be a huge factor in this trial though.

They did get their moment though slipping it in in these stupid "mini openings" again one of the most ridiculous terms I've ever heard. A mini, a mini. A mini this, a mini that, a mini openings statement.

I'd suspect since it likelky isn't all that common there's no term for some such before a jury other than that term..

Lol maybe it's just me, but the term is stupid and aggravates me lol.

Anyhow, the hair probably will come up again but I think now with trial underway it is not going to be the main focus right now for long.

So I won't get time to catch up totally this morning and then another day will have went on before I get home late tonight, and I have seen little and watched nothing last night, etc. but how do you feel coverage was for the first day? I probably won't see your response til later either but just asking.

9 a.m. till noon today.

Witnesses order of appearance is from bottom up. Court finished at 11.55 a.m.
61°
Search

Home / News / Crime Watch 8 / Delphi Murders

Delphi Murders trial: Day 2 live blog

The Carroll County courthouse, seen here in July 2024. Court proceedings in the Delphi Murders trial continue for Day 2 after beginning in Delphi on Oct. 18, 2024. (WISH Photo)

The Carroll County courthouse, seen here in July 2024. Court proceedings in the Delphi Murders trial continue for Day 2 after beginning in Delphi on Oct. 18, 2024. (WISH Photo)
43Shares

facebook sharing button

linkedin sharing button

email sharing button

sharethis sharing button
Listen to this article
1.0x
Audio by Carbonatix

by: Michaela Springer
Posted: Oct 19, 2024 / 08:54 AM EST / Updated: Oct 19, 2024 / 11:37 AM EST
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Seven years, eight months, and five days after Abby Williams and Libby German went missing in Delphi, the trial for accused killer Richard Allen started Friday.
Allen, 52, is charged with murder and murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping in the deaths of 13-year-old Abigail “Abby” Williams and 14-year-old Liberty “Libby” German. The girls’ bodies were found near the Monon High Bridge near Delphi on Feb. 14, 2017, a day after they went missing.
Allen was first investigated in 2017 and again in October 2022. Following the second interview, he was taken into custody.
Saturday’s session was set to begin at 9 a.m. Follow this blog throughout the day and stay tuned to News 8 for the very latest.
NOTE: Times listed on the blog headers are the time the entry was written, not the time the events happened in court. Those events will be noted in the story when available.
For a brief summary of Day 1 in the Delphi Murders trial, scroll to the bottom of the page.

The court’s second session started with testimony from state witness Pat Brown, another search party member and lifelong Delphi resident. Brown’s home is 1.5 miles from the High Monon Bridge and he participated in search efforts on Feb. 14, 2017.

Brown told the court he’d known Libby’s grandfather, Mike Patty, since high school, and also knew Libby. He said he was at home eating dinner and watching TV when his wife told him Libby and Abby went missing. Brown said he called a man named Tom Mears for help, and went out in the dark to search for the girls.

Brown pointed out his drive from his home to the Morning Heights Cemetery. He said he stopped at a man named Ron Logan’s house to ask if he saw the girls, then continued to the bridge to talk to search party members.

Afterward, he drove to the nearby Mears property and met with Tom to look for Libby and Abby.

Brown said he called off work on Feb. 14 to help with search efforts. He and Mears drove into town, where Brown said Delphi Police Chief Steve Mullin was “heading the search up.” Mullin said in his testimony earlier Saturday that he did not head up the search.

Brown picked up his daughter around 11 a.m. on Feb. 14and soon received a call from Mears to say they’d found Libby’s shirt along Deer Creek. Brown went to the north side of the creek and found the girls’ bodies on the way.

Brown said he thought they were mannequins at first, and became emotional as he told the court, “We found them.”

Melissa, a relative of the Pattys, was with Brown when they spotted the girls. She ran off to call the police.

Brown noted on the courtroom map where he found the girls and said he got within five feet of their bodies. Police arrived before Brown left the scene.

Defense attorney Andrew Baldwin questioned Brown, focusing on the sound of voices, what could be heard, and if Brown had cell service while in the woods. Judge Gull also asked questions about Brown’s cell service provider, how long it took for police to arrive after they found the girls, and how long it took for the scene to be secured. Brown answered that officers arrived within five minutes of being called, and it didn’t take long for the area to be secured.

Saturday’s session ended after the jury was shown a photograph of Libby’s shirt and shoes in the muddy water of Deer Creek.

11:55 A.M.: COURT ADJOURNS FOR SATURDAY​

JAKE JOHNS TESTIMONY (SEARCH PARTY MEMBER WHO FOUND LIBBY’S TIE-DYE SHIRT)

The second person to testify Saturday was Jake Johns, a lifelong Delphi resident who works at a propane company in Delphi. Johns spotted Libby German’s tie-dye shirt in Deer Creek during search efforts.
This video is no longer available
There was an issue with the media playback engine. The sub-error code will contain additional information about the underlying cause. | UNKNOWN encountered, code: 1000
Johns said he knew Libby German’s family, and his wife worked with Libby’s grandmother Becky Patty. Johns was not familiar with Abby Williams or her family.
Johns said he joined the search for the girls on Feb. 14. He said he knew they would be looking for a tie-dye shirt that belonged to Libby and walked four hours to the High Bridge, where he spotted the shirt in the water. He and firefighter standing nearby tried to contact police to report the shirt, but Johns said they could not get ahold of anyone.
The firefighter went to the shirt himself, and also located a pair of black Nike shoes that also belonged to Libby. Soon after, a person living on the other side of the creek was called to come down to the search area. Brad German and Kelsi also arrived. That’s when Johns said another member of the search party said, “We have found the bodies.”
Johns said he did not personally see the bodies.
The defense began questioning Johns, only learning that Johns saw footprints on Feb. 14 on an access road near Deer Creek. After being questioned by the prosecution and defense again, nothing new was said. No further questions were asked.

STEVE MULLEN TESTIMONY (DELPHI CHIEF OF POLICE IN 2017)

The first witness called to the stand by the prosecution was Steve Mullen, who served as Delphi’s chief of police in 2017, and was on duty the day of the murders. Mullen described Feb. 13, 2017, as “routine” and spoke about hearing radio traffic and receiving texts about the girls’ disappearance. During his testimony, Mullen stood up and approached a map of the trail on a TV, and pointed out where Abby and Libby entered.
After learning the girls did not return, Mullen said he contacted Delphi Middle School and spoke with the search party. Mullen did not participate in the search but said he stayed behind at dispatch.
Mullen says when he left the dispatch center at 2 a.m. on Feb. 14, he told the court he did not believe anyone had hurt the girls and believed they would return home.
He returned to work at 7:30 a.m. Feb. 14 and met with the search party. He says he did not direct them where to go.
Allen’s attorney Andrew Baldwin objected to Mullen’s testimony about the search, saying Mullen only knew the whereabouts of the search because he was at dispatch.
Mullen continued his testimony by describing when he heard the girls’ bodies were found and noting on the courtroom map where they were located. He says he met with Abby and Libby’s families around 2 p.m. to say they had found bodies and were working on identification.
Mullen said he then learned of a store near the start of the trail, the Hoosier Harvest Store, having security cameras. The store’s camera pointed toward 300 North and West, and he reviewed footage from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Feb. 13. He also discussed drone footage taken of the trail on Feb. 13, 2024, which state prosecutor Nick McLeland said was to represent and compare what the two scenes looked like seven years apart.
McLeland asked Mullen what kind of people would be seen on the bridge in 2017, which he answers, “Teenagers. Younger people.”
Baldwin then began questioning Mullen, starting by asking about improvements made on the trail since 2017. Special Judge Fran Gull chimed in, asking about the thought process behind searching for the girls downstream. Mullen said it was in case the girls might have fallen off the bridge. Baldwin asked if Mullen went to the scene, and Mullen said he did not.
Mullen described to the court where the bodies were found in relation to Morning Heights Cemetery, which is near the trail. He said he went to Weber’s property on Feb. 27, 2024, but did not elaborate further.

9 A.M.

Richard Allen arrived in court Saturday wearing a blue striped button down and glasses. News 8’s Kyla Russell reported that he was seen looking back at his mother and his wife.
Libby and Abby’s families were all present in the courtroom.

8 A.M.

News 8’s Kyla Russell reports that there is a much smaller crowd outside the Carroll County courthouse for the second day of the trial.
Court is set to run from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.

Last edited:

‘Grandma, I’ll be okay’: Libby German’s grandmother recalls day girls disappeared on Delphi trail​

Becky Patty took the stand for emotional testimony in the Delphi murders trial.

The grandmother of Libby German was the first person called to testify in the proceedings.

She described Libby as “active, very smart, involved in sports” and said she had “tons of friends.”

Her best friend, however, was Abby Williams. They were inseparable, went on vacations together and frequently slept at each other’s houses. They played volleyball and were in band together.

Libby had just turned 14 in December, Patty said, and Abby had spent the night before the girls headed off for a fateful walk.
My thoughts were so on these family members yesterday morning and have been since. This part is long awaited, huge, but an unknown and day to day is going to be a huge toll and they may well have a month of it ahead. Verdict day will be another major huge stressful day. And then so will be sentencing day. And a LOT of extreme ups and downs and emotions.

Just wanting to point them out right now that some focus and thoughts and prayers should be as much more more on them right now. They've watched it be a defense show for some time now as well while "their" side and they keep and have had to, quiet. It's almost inhuman to have to do that for years on end and still now as well.

My prayers and heart goes out and I think everyone's does, to the girls' families right now.

They can appeal it if they lose. There wasn't any evidence to just blame it on a bunch of O's. The sketches were a tool for the police and are not evidence. What other stuff are you on about?
Exactly. Taking each decision on its reasons and arguments and how good of a basis each side gave, or lack of a good basis, I can understand each of them. As a whole it looks to some and is was the D would want as if the judge is against them and RA, but I've seen little for decent arguments by the D. Whether in response or in their own motions, that is enough. to decide their way.

Sorry to anyone who doesn't agree but that's how I see it.

Yes. Wouldn't you think they would know better than trying to film the jury arriving. They should get the sack and be charged with contempt of court.
From what I saw yeterday at least two major news reporters were banned for good.

You know it almost backs up and supports Gull's decisions to allow nothing. How desperate and DUMB are they? None of us at home I don't THINK expect to or want to see the jurors for God's sake. We want a trial that some idiot like a reporter, jury member or you name it derails! They all need to be NAMED at some point and no person who cares about justice should ever follow them again. Imo.

Why would ANY judge want cameras or anyting if THIS is what people do when they are banned even...?

Looks like J&C and USA Today are combining with their reporting. This is good and looks like these are the ones to follow IMO.

WARNING - This account is graphic regarding the murders.

Delphi suspect sketches will not be permitted in court, judge rules

See the courthouse hosting Delphi murder trial
up next
Delphi suspect sketches will not be permitted in court, judge rul ...

'Down the hill:' Delphi opening statements at Richard Allen's trial

JOHN TUFTS , JENNY PORTER TILLEY , RON WILKINS , SARAH NELSON , KRISTINE PHILLIPS USA TODAY NETWORK

What to know about the Delphi murders and Richard Allen's trial's trial
0:00
0:00
Show Caption
Seven years after two teens were brutally killed near a wooded creek in Delphi, Indiana, the trial for the man accused in their deaths is officially underway.
Police say Richard Allen is responsible for killing both Abigail "Abby" Williams and Liberty "Libby" German. The two teens went missing Feb. 13, 2017, and were found dead the next day. In 2022, officials arrested Allen, of Delphi, who faces two counts of murder and two counts of murder while kidnapping the girls.
The trial could prove to be one of Indiana's most controversial and highly publicized cases, which will play out in the small community that has been shocked not once, but twice — first in the slayings, then by the arrest of Allen, a man residents said quietly "blended in" with their small, tightly knit community.
Journalists from the Indianapolis Star and the Lafayette Journal & Courier will cover the case as it moves through the judicial system.
This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

'That's when I knew': Heartwrenching first-day testimony in Delphi trial

Liberty German was a smart student who would’ve graduated a year early, an active teen who played volleyball, soccer, softball and swimming, and an adventurous spirit who “wanted to try anything once,” her grandmother, Becky Patty, said during an emotional testimony Friday.
On Feb. 13, 2017, Libby asked if they could go out and do something, Patty testified. The weather was unseasonably warm, and she and her best friend, Abby Williams, were out of school.
“The last thing she said to me was, ‘Grandma, it will be OK,’” Patty testified, as she recalled the afternoon the teens left to go hike the Monon High Bridge trail. She wasn’t worried, Patty said, because Libby had been to the trail before. “It was a safe place in 2017.”
But by 3:30 p.m., the girls were nowhere to be found. Libby was not answering her phone, which was unlike her, Patty testified.
“I knew we needed to go to the trails to look for them,” she said.
The family called the police as night approached. Patty said they were at the police station until after midnight, and then they went back to the trails to keep looking.
“I kept calling and calling and calling,” Patty said, as she cried on the stand.
They went home and went out again the next morning. They searched nearby fields where the girls would’ve been if they had tried to walk home. As they were walking back to their car, they learned from a friend that the girls had been found, Patty testified.
“You need to take me,” Patty told the friend, she testified. “You need to take me.”
She recalled not understanding why their friend refused to take them to where the girls were found. As she waited, she saw the coroner’s truck driving by.
“That’s when I knew,” she said. “They weren’t alive.”

Hair evidence not tied to Richard Allen, defense says

During jury election earlier this week, Richard Allen’s defense team revealed that there was a strand of hair found in Abby Williams’ hand – and it does not belong to Allen.
During his opening statement Friday, defense attorney Andrew Baldwin said that the hair had a root and was able to be tested. Tests showed it belonged to a female – not to Abby or Libby, but likely a relative of Libby’s. Baldwin said there should be more tests to know whose hair it was.

Defense challenges Delphi timeline, evidence. 'There is reasonable doubt,' Andrew Baldwin said.

During opening statements, defense attorney Andrew Baldwin painted Allen as an innocent man ensnared in an investigation that he said “was messed up from the beginning.”
“Richard Allen is truly innocent … We want the truth to come out in this courtroom for the families and all of you because it is truly important,” Baldwin said.
Baldwin said the investigation has been bogged down with problems from the start. Critical pieces of evidence were lost. And a “turf war” between investigators led to more conflicts, with state officials kicking off the FBI in the middle of the years-long investigation, Baldwin said.
Allen’s defense attorneys have previously accused investigators of intentionally keeping evidence that could prove their client’s innocence. Just days earlier, the defense claimed that a strand of hair found in Williams’ hand did not match Allen’s or the victims’. During his opening statement, he said the hair belonged to a female.
Baldwin also challenged the prosecution’s timeline of what happened on Feb. 13, 2017.
Allen did go to the trail that day, Baldwin said, but he left by 1:30 p.m. — more than a half hour before the girls were believed to have been kidnapped. By 2:15 p.m., Allen’s car had left a nearby parking lot where prosecutors alleged he had parked, Baldwin said.
“Richard Allen was never on the trail with those girls … There is reasonable doubt in this case,” Baldwin said.
As Baldwin spoke, at least two jurors were taking notes. Judge Frances Gull clasped her hands by her face as she listened.
Baldwin also challenged the state’s timeline that the girls’ bodies were left in the woods by 4 p.m. on Feb. 13 and were untouched until they were discovered the next day. But Libby’s phone, which was found under Abby’s leg, somehow connected to a cellphone tower at 4:33 a.m. on Feb. 14.
“After 4 p.m. (on Feb. 13), human hands handled that phone,” Baldwin said. “Richard Allen was at home and never came back.”
The defense’s theory, Baldwin said, is that the girls were taken somewhere, and “someone brought the girls back to where they were found and it was probably after 4:33 a.m.”
“Evidence does not support (state’s) timeline,” Baldwin told jurors.
Delphi evidence: Police sketches, hair sample came up in the Delphi murders jury selection. Where things stand

'Down the hill' - Delphi prosecutor's opening statements at Richard Allen's trial

Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland speaks during a press conference addressing updates regarding the investigation of the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German, Monday, Monday, Oct. 31, 2022, at Delphi United Methodist Church in Delphi, Ind.

Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland speaks during a press conference addressing updates regarding the investigation of the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German, Monday, … Show more
ALEX MARTIN/JOURNAL AND COURIER
Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland in his opening statement Friday alleged that Richard Allen forced Abigail “Abby” Williams and Liberty “Libby” German down a hill near the Monon High Bridge trail and killed them.
The girls were hiking along the trail on Feb. 13, 2017, “a nice summer day in the middle of winter,” McLeland told jurors. A little after 2 p.m., the girls reached the famous high bridge. Allen, McLeland alleges, was following them.
He “pulls out a gun and forces them down the hill,” McLeland said, adding that the video that Libby was taking on her phone shut off around this time.
“Out of fear, the girls comply,” McLeland told the five men and seven women jurors. Allen, he added, “had the power.”
The girls disappeared, and their bodies were found along Deer Creek the next day. Their throats had been slit. Libby was found naked and covered in blood, McLeland told jurors as he choked up. Abby was wearing Libby’s sweatshirt and jeans, while the rest of the clothes were found in the nearby creek.
McLeland said Allen later admitted being on the trail that day. After searching his home, investigators found knives, boots and a handgun, McLeland said, adding that an unspent bullet found at the crime scene had been cycled through the same weapon.
A probable cause affidavit in the case identified the firearm as a Sig Sauer, Model P226, .40 caliber handgun.
McLeland said Allen confirmed his role in the girls’ deaths while incarcerated at the Indiana Department of Correction.
Allen, who appeared in court dressed in a long-sleeve, button-down purple shirt and khaki pants, shook his head as McLeland spoke. His family members, including his wife Kathy Allen, sat behind him.
Allen, McLeland said, was the last person the girls saw before their deaths.
“For five years, he lived in this community. He worked in this community,” McLeland said. “He hid in plain sight.”

Defense wants jurors to see Delphi suspect sketches

View |35 Photos
See Delphi murders case through the years as Richard Allen is on trial
See the Delphi murders case, investigation in 7 years of photos

Sketches released in the aftermath of the 2017 killings of teenagers Liberty German and Abigail Williams should be shown to jurors, suspect Richard Allen’s attorneys argued in a motion.
Jennifer Auger, one of Allen’s attorneys, argued the pictures are important for jurors in making their decision about her client’s fate, countering the state’s previous claims that the pictures were not relevant to identifying Allen as a suspect.
"To the extent that the sketches do not resemble Richard Allen, they are highly relevant," the motion states.
75687692007-untitled-design-20241015-t-095443537.png

Police released two composite sketches during the course of the investigation into the murders of two Delphi girls.

PROVIDED
Police released two sketches appearing to show different men in the years after the Delphi teens’ deaths. One was released in July 2017 and the other in April 2019. The drawings are among the few glimpses into the suspect that were released to the public.
Earlier this week, Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland argued the sketches were based on witnesses who described a variety of facial features but noted they did not see people long enough to be certain of their identifications.
The judge ruled Friday that the sketches will not be admissible, according to Fox59.
Delphi prosecutor: Artist sketches of 'Bridge Guy' should not be evidence

Cameras confiscated outside Delphi courthouse

Delphi: Listen to reporters' takeaways from Richard Allen's trial in the Delphi murders case
Cameras of journalists outside the courthouse were confiscated shortly after jurors arrived Friday morning.
When Gannett photographer Alex Martin saw two vans approach the shrouded fences on the west side of the courthouse, he put his camera on his hip and set the second camera on the ground. Special Judge Frances Gull made it clear during Thursday's media orientation that photographs or videos of the jurors was forbidden, and Martin obliged.
After the jurors were unloaded, law enforcement came out from the shrouded fence and confiscated cameras.

View |35 Photos

A look inside courthouse where Delphi murder trial will unfold
See inside of the courthouse that will host the Delphi murders trial

“I wasn’t taking pictures of jurors,” said Martin, who was standing in an approved area outside the courthouse.
Four or five other photogs also had their cameras taken, Martin said.
It has yet to be determined whether the cameras, which included both still photo cameras and video cams, will be returned, Martin said.
Delphi murders case rules: Judge Gull issues stiff rules for jurors, media ahead of Delphi trial

People line up to get into courtroom for Richard Allen's trial

The line of people outside the Carroll County Courthouse in the wee hours of Friday morning camped there for hours hoping to get seats to Friday’s opening statements.
More than half of the people in line didn’t get in. Even those who arrived at 2:30 a.m. didn’t get a spot in the 72-seat courtroom.
One reporter who barely made it in said they arrived at 12:30 a.m. and waited in the ever-growing line of journalists, public and true-crime lovers who have followed the case's twists and turns.
Some in the line bundled up in blankets wrapped over their heads and around their bodies to ward off the 30-degree temperatures, while others just dressed as best they could praying for the 8 a.m. opening of the courthouse doors – and a chance to be warm.
Some of the public in line could be overheard talking about their interest in the case that has drawn national attention. Some told of their opinions of the case and how they’ve created their own timeline of the events, even walking the trails to see if the timeline in the prosecutor’s probable cause affidavit lined up.

Delphi murders trial jury selection

Sixteen people selected from Allen County — 12 jurors and four alternates — were picked just before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in Fort Wayne. The panel was sworn in Thursday. They'll be sequestered in a hotel throughout the trial, scheduled to end Nov. 15.
11 hours ago
No time to read all of this right now and probably won't get to but read some. Have to get moving, may get one or two minutes before leaving but doubtful. So I ended at the point the D said the hair likely related to a relative of Libby's (and we know it was female). So I'd say uhm, big nothing burger then. And as we've said even before hearing this said that it relates to a a relative, that that was likely what it was.

Boy if this is their big thing, good luck. My God, the big deal some out there made about this and the D saying this now and thinking this is going to be big tot he jury? I don't think so. If it is from a female relative of Libby's? I'm sorry but so all I have to say is so what?

This does look like some pretty thorough reporting here and will get back to it.

Hope all have a great day. May or may not be back for a minute before I leave.

Last edited:
Well, I'm going to end with and then running fast out the door here, that if it is a factual statement in her one article that they know the hair belongs to some female relative of Libby's, it's a big nothing burger just as I expected of figured it would turn out to be. That is so entirely no surprise at all and would make total sense with her in Libby's clothing, etc.. Psheesh.

Last witness who testified today was #Delphi resident Pat Brown, who found Abby & Libby’s bodies. He told the jury “First I thought they were mannequins.” He then began crying as he told jurors he realized “We found ‘em.” Court is done for the day. Jury back Monday morning. #wthr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom