LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to respond. Sure I won't get one. But does anyone really think the killer was a female?

And we each have our own but DD or Bob Motta sure isn't one of mine.

I think there is going to be a lot of varying things throughout this one. And opinions definitely.

It does sound like Libby's grandma was up today from what I've heard elsewhere.

I was thinking of both families this morning. Not going to go into it but ours was a week and the preparation when it finally, finally came was major. I didn't live there, nor did my sister, my one daughter did not either, my other daughter had to testify, we all had VISs when sentencing came later. We all came together but it was high stress. And that was just a week but three years of b.s. My SIL stepped up, many did. My mom had most of us at her home. My sister had my one daughter and helped her every day. The town it was in was not any of our towns, same county thought.

I don't need to go on about that to you or anyone, I am just saying THIS trial and what has gone on with its attention, years and b.s. is a millionfold times past that and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. And this was one hell of a day for A & L's families is all I can say. Count on it. And even now they will not know what is coming day to day. And verdict day? OMG.

i'm forgetting RA for right now because it is where all the focus has been, it is where it is in every case once an arrest. I get if a defendant is innocent or wrongly charged it needs to be on them, but regardless it should never NOT be on the victims and their families either, whether that defendant is innocent or guilty.

Just had a TON of thoughts for the families this morning... And all day.

And I jumped off from here but am not really talking to anyone specific.

A female hair I did not know. So to me that's Kelsey's, Libby's, Anna's, etc. Has there been a single hint of a female partner or killer? Even in D theories with Os? I don't think so.

So sounding like a nothing burger. Re the hair.

I went into what I was watching late, but there is a lot out there that was reported all day.
Could be KA ?

Some info here on the cameras

Looks like J&C and USA Today are combining with their reporting. This is good and looks like these are the ones to follow IMO.

WARNING - This account is graphic regarding the murders.

Delphi suspect sketches will not be permitted in court, judge rules

See the courthouse hosting Delphi murder trial
up next
Delphi suspect sketches will not be permitted in court, judge rul ...

'Down the hill:' Delphi opening statements at Richard Allen's trial

JOHN TUFTS , JENNY PORTER TILLEY , RON WILKINS , SARAH NELSON , KRISTINE PHILLIPS USA TODAY NETWORK

What to know about the Delphi murders and Richard Allen's trial
0:00
0:00
Show Caption
Seven years after two teens were brutally killed near a wooded creek in Delphi, Indiana, the trial for the man accused in their deaths is officially underway.
Police say Richard Allen is responsible for killing both Abigail "Abby" Williams and Liberty "Libby" German. The two teens went missing Feb. 13, 2017, and were found dead the next day. In 2022, officials arrested Allen, of Delphi, who faces two counts of murder and two counts of murder while kidnapping the girls.
The trial could prove to be one of Indiana's most controversial and highly publicized cases, which will play out in the small community that has been shocked not once, but twice — first in the slayings, then by the arrest of Allen, a man residents said quietly "blended in" with their small, tightly knit community.
Journalists from the Indianapolis Star and the Lafayette Journal & Courier will cover the case as it moves through the judicial system.
This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

'That's when I knew': Heartwrenching first-day testimony in Delphi trial

Liberty German was a smart student who would’ve graduated a year early, an active teen who played volleyball, soccer, softball and swimming, and an adventurous spirit who “wanted to try anything once,” her grandmother, Becky Patty, said during an emotional testimony Friday.
On Feb. 13, 2017, Libby asked if they could go out and do something, Patty testified. The weather was unseasonably warm, and she and her best friend, Abby Williams, were out of school.
“The last thing she said to me was, ‘Grandma, it will be OK,’” Patty testified, as she recalled the afternoon the teens left to go hike the Monon High Bridge trail. She wasn’t worried, Patty said, because Libby had been to the trail before. “It was a safe place in 2017.”
But by 3:30 p.m., the girls were nowhere to be found. Libby was not answering her phone, which was unlike her, Patty testified.
“I knew we needed to go to the trails to look for them,” she said.
The family called the police as night approached. Patty said they were at the police station until after midnight, and then they went back to the trails to keep looking.
“I kept calling and calling and calling,” Patty said, as she cried on the stand.
They went home and went out again the next morning. They searched nearby fields where the girls would’ve been if they had tried to walk home. As they were walking back to their car, they learned from a friend that the girls had been found, Patty testified.
“You need to take me,” Patty told the friend, she testified. “You need to take me.”
She recalled not understanding why their friend refused to take them to where the girls were found. As she waited, she saw the coroner’s truck driving by.
“That’s when I knew,” she said. “They weren’t alive.”

Hair evidence not tied to Richard Allen, defense says

During jury election earlier this week, Richard Allen’s defense team revealed that there was a strand of hair found in Abby Williams’ hand – and it does not belong to Allen.
During his opening statement Friday, defense attorney Andrew Baldwin said that the hair had a root and was able to be tested. Tests showed it belonged to a female – not to Abby or Libby, but likely a relative of Libby’s. Baldwin said there should be more tests to know whose hair it was.

Defense challenges Delphi timeline, evidence. 'There is reasonable doubt,' Andrew Baldwin said.

During opening statements, defense attorney Andrew Baldwin painted Allen as an innocent man ensnared in an investigation that he said “was messed up from the beginning.”
“Richard Allen is truly innocent … We want the truth to come out in this courtroom for the families and all of you because it is truly important,” Baldwin said.
Baldwin said the investigation has been bogged down with problems from the start. Critical pieces of evidence were lost. And a “turf war” between investigators led to more conflicts, with state officials kicking off the FBI in the middle of the years-long investigation, Baldwin said.
Allen’s defense attorneys have previously accused investigators of intentionally keeping evidence that could prove their client’s innocence. Just days earlier, the defense claimed that a strand of hair found in Williams’ hand did not match Allen’s or the victims’. During his opening statement, he said the hair belonged to a female.
Baldwin also challenged the prosecution’s timeline of what happened on Feb. 13, 2017.
Allen did go to the trail that day, Baldwin said, but he left by 1:30 p.m. — more than a half hour before the girls were believed to have been kidnapped. By 2:15 p.m., Allen’s car had left a nearby parking lot where prosecutors alleged he had parked, Baldwin said.
“Richard Allen was never on the trail with those girls … There is reasonable doubt in this case,” Baldwin said.
As Baldwin spoke, at least two jurors were taking notes. Judge Frances Gull clasped her hands by her face as she listened.
Baldwin also challenged the state’s timeline that the girls’ bodies were left in the woods by 4 p.m. on Feb. 13 and were untouched until they were discovered the next day. But Libby’s phone, which was found under Abby’s leg, somehow connected to a cellphone tower at 4:33 a.m. on Feb. 14.
“After 4 p.m. (on Feb. 13), human hands handled that phone,” Baldwin said. “Richard Allen was at home and never came back.”
The defense’s theory, Baldwin said, is that the girls were taken somewhere, and “someone brought the girls back to where they were found and it was probably after 4:33 a.m.”
“Evidence does not support (state’s) timeline,” Baldwin told jurors.
Delphi evidence: Police sketches, hair sample came up in the Delphi murders jury selection. Where things stand

'Down the hill' - Delphi prosecutor's opening statements at Richard Allen's trial

Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland speaks during a press conference addressing updates regarding the investigation of the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German, Monday, Monday, Oct. 31, 2022, at Delphi United Methodist Church in Delphi, Ind.

Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland speaks during a press conference addressing updates regarding the investigation of the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German, Monday, … Show more
ALEX MARTIN/JOURNAL AND COURIER
Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland in his opening statement Friday alleged that Richard Allen forced Abigail “Abby” Williams and Liberty “Libby” German down a hill near the Monon High Bridge trail and killed them.
The girls were hiking along the trail on Feb. 13, 2017, “a nice summer day in the middle of winter,” McLeland told jurors. A little after 2 p.m., the girls reached the famous high bridge. Allen, McLeland alleges, was following them.
He “pulls out a gun and forces them down the hill,” McLeland said, adding that the video that Libby was taking on her phone shut off around this time.
“Out of fear, the girls comply,” McLeland told the five men and seven women jurors. Allen, he added, “had the power.”
The girls disappeared, and their bodies were found along Deer Creek the next day. Their throats had been slit. Libby was found naked and covered in blood, McLeland told jurors as he choked up. Abby was wearing Libby’s sweatshirt and jeans, while the rest of the clothes were found in the nearby creek.
McLeland said Allen later admitted being on the trail that day. After searching his home, investigators found knives, boots and a handgun, McLeland said, adding that an unspent bullet found at the crime scene had been cycled through the same weapon.
A probable cause affidavit in the case identified the firearm as a Sig Sauer, Model P226, .40 caliber handgun.
McLeland said Allen confirmed his role in the girls’ deaths while incarcerated at the Indiana Department of Correction.
Allen, who appeared in court dressed in a long-sleeve, button-down purple shirt and khaki pants, shook his head as McLeland spoke. His family members, including his wife Kathy Allen, sat behind him.
Allen, McLeland said, was the last person the girls saw before their deaths.
“For five years, he lived in this community. He worked in this community,” McLeland said. “He hid in plain sight.”

Defense wants jurors to see Delphi suspect sketches

View |35 Photos
See Delphi murders case through the years as Richard Allen is on trial
See the Delphi murders case, investigation in 7 years of photos

Sketches released in the aftermath of the 2017 killings of teenagers Liberty German and Abigail Williams should be shown to jurors, suspect Richard Allen’s attorneys argued in a motion.
Jennifer Auger, one of Allen’s attorneys, argued the pictures are important for jurors in making their decision about her client’s fate, countering the state’s previous claims that the pictures were not relevant to identifying Allen as a suspect.
"To the extent that the sketches do not resemble Richard Allen, they are highly relevant," the motion states.
75687692007-untitled-design-20241015-t-095443537.png

Police released two composite sketches during the course of the investigation into the murders of two Delphi girls.

PROVIDED
Police released two sketches appearing to show different men in the years after the Delphi teens’ deaths. One was released in July 2017 and the other in April 2019. The drawings are among the few glimpses into the suspect that were released to the public.
Earlier this week, Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland argued the sketches were based on witnesses who described a variety of facial features but noted they did not see people long enough to be certain of their identifications.
The judge ruled Friday that the sketches will not be admissible, according to Fox59.
Delphi prosecutor: Artist sketches of 'Bridge Guy' should not be evidence

Cameras confiscated outside Delphi courthouse

Delphi: Listen to reporters' takeaways from Richard Allen's trial in the Delphi murders case
Cameras of journalists outside the courthouse were confiscated shortly after jurors arrived Friday morning.
When Gannett photographer Alex Martin saw two vans approach the shrouded fences on the west side of the courthouse, he put his camera on his hip and set the second camera on the ground. Special Judge Frances Gull made it clear during Thursday's media orientation that photographs or videos of the jurors was forbidden, and Martin obliged.
After the jurors were unloaded, law enforcement came out from the shrouded fence and confiscated cameras.

View |35 Photos

A look inside courthouse where Delphi murder trial will unfold
See inside of the courthouse that will host the Delphi murders trial

“I wasn’t taking pictures of jurors,” said Martin, who was standing in an approved area outside the courthouse.
Four or five other photogs also had their cameras taken, Martin said.
It has yet to be determined whether the cameras, which included both still photo cameras and video cams, will be returned, Martin said.
Delphi murders case rules: Judge Gull issues stiff rules for jurors, media ahead of Delphi trial

People line up to get into courtroom for Richard Allen's trial

The line of people outside the Carroll County Courthouse in the wee hours of Friday morning camped there for hours hoping to get seats to Friday’s opening statements.
More than half of the people in line didn’t get in. Even those who arrived at 2:30 a.m. didn’t get a spot in the 72-seat courtroom.
One reporter who barely made it in said they arrived at 12:30 a.m. and waited in the ever-growing line of journalists, public and true-crime lovers who have followed the case's twists and turns.
Some in the line bundled up in blankets wrapped over their heads and around their bodies to ward off the 30-degree temperatures, while others just dressed as best they could praying for the 8 a.m. opening of the courthouse doors – and a chance to be warm.
Some of the public in line could be overheard talking about their interest in the case that has drawn national attention. Some told of their opinions of the case and how they’ve created their own timeline of the events, even walking the trails to see if the timeline in the prosecutor’s probable cause affidavit lined up.

Delphi murders trial jury selection

Sixteen people selected from Allen County — 12 jurors and four alternates — were picked just before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in Fort Wayne. The panel was sworn in Thursday. They'll be sequestered in a hotel throughout the trial, scheduled to end Nov. 15.
11 hours ago

Last edited:
I dont think that's fair. I do believe there could be a link between A.Shots and RA but only with regard to him suspecting there could be some target victims for him at the bridge that day, that he got wind of via social media, si he went prepared with his weapons. To me it is almost like he went on the bridge for a good look around then went back to sit on the bench and the girls went by and on to the bridge. He let them get half to two thirds across then followed them. Caught them on the bridge then ambushed them down the hill.
I am going to fall a bit in the middle here. There are a few things I'm not thrilled with, like Doolin, the tip, lack of follow up on it, etc. However one also had scrambling, many agencies, and so forth.

I'd agree, not keystone cops.

I also agree on KK. If there is any connection, it is that the girls were telling people they were going there and so on or something on that order.

And I am going to reiterate, he thinks the second sketch has to do with KK/Shotz/s (never can remember which way spelled). But it's from the 50 foot away witness is it not? It has nothing to do with KK and he thinks it does.

Not trying to talk around you emu but I said that earlier and asked you for a link if it relates to KK, the second sketch, and haven't had you give one. I did give on in that it is to do with one of the women at the bridge. Nothing about KK.

I'd like to know how they managed to do what they're being accused of, which is photographing jurors. I'll see if I can find a photo of the courthouse.

If they did that they are dickheads and deserve all they get. Finally after seven and a half years this comes to trial and some idiot journos or youtubers flout the rules. Jeez!!!!!

From the DD tweet posted upthread.

McLeland gave about a 20 minute opening statement after experiencing tech difficulties with the large monitor in the courtroom. Tough way to start when nerves are already at an all time high. He was followed by Baldwin, whose opening lasted approximately an hour. Nothing new was revealed in State’s opening and quit a bit of interesting info was relayed in Defense opening. Remember, openings are not evidence. One thing is clear, Becky Blair is going to be a critical witness for the defense. She was on the trails that day at the same time the girls were. The timeline is being attacked by the defense. Becky Patty, Libby’s grandma was the first witness for the State. Her testimony was heartbreaking. She’s a very strong woman. Lunch Break from 12:25 to 1:30.

(Note - I think he means Betsy Blair not Becky Blair. )
Yeah I saw that. and yes agree they mean Betsy. They should get it straight. One is a witness and one is grandma. For goodness sakes.

Looking for updates.

Why didn’t they test the hair? It might belong to someone that would tie their murders to someone, who would force them to do some investigation. They had this for five years before RA was arrested. In those five years nobody on the Keystone cops thought it might be a significant clue.

Could be KA ?
Help me out. I'm drawing a blank. OHHHH. Right as I was about to say you don't mean Kelsey it dawnedn on me. You MEAN KATHY ALLEN right????

Wow never would have dawned on me but should have as look at LISK...

Have had a very multiple, multitasking day. Doing a bit but a lot of many various things. Daughter is coming over and we were going to go out but instead she is making me dinnner. Showered. Caught up on a few cases, some emails, bills, cats' needs, and I NEVER get all cleaned or finished, I always hope but kitchen is clean, bathroom, laundry done, and hope to vacuum yet, shall see.

I could not believe though not a person was in this thread all day. I can believe people watch and find out stuff elsewhere.

So you do mean Kathy Allen right? Now that's interesting... But I will say it really depends on did the P try to track it down...? I'm thinking they did because what RP posted (think it was her) was that it was a female hair so they determined that much....

Who I am listening to is saying what we've heard before that RA was not a pharmacy tech or clerk, etc., he had to get a license to be a shift supervisor. I get that as I see similar at work. Not with pharm but access to tills, being able to close and some other things...

If they did that they are dickheads and deserve all they get. Finally after seven and a half years this comes to trial and some idiot journos or youtubers flout the rules. Jeez!!!!!
I hope they all get named. Honestly I was thinking yesterday the big paparazzi crap is over and Betty Bullhorn isn't in Delphi, etc. and news doesn't even have fund or pay reporters expenses to go report and get a hotel room any more. But supposedly four camera were confiscated today and four booted for good. From what I'm hearing, TWO were tradiitional news.

Anyone else hear differently?

I don't like the rules in this but I would NEVER go against them.

Here's my opinion at this point--to record it or camera it if they use that or publish it they are going to end up in trouble. So it is reporters and people that know they aren't gong to be able to keep up with her b.s. (and I believe it is b.s.) ruling that they can't even have a recorder to double check what was said.

Wow. Listening to part of testimony (being relayed, not of course heard) of L's grandma Becky) when girls were found and she told someone they needed to make her but she did not realize until she saw coroner vehicle drive by they were not alive.

Not going to try to link as it is YT and a lot of sources in what I am watching I and I am sure all are doing their own sources anyhow.

I'm also waiting for tonight, to see who comes in on daily coverage the best. Because back to work tomorrrow and it will be nightly for me anyhow. Checking Tom out for sure in a few hours here. To see what he uses and where his coverage comes from. Earlier I linked one from PE (not my fave but not against) who had Susan Hendricks on...

I hope they all get named. Honestly I was thinking yesterday the big paparazzi crap is over and Betty Bullhorn isn't in Delphi, etc. and news doesn't even have fund or pay reporters expenses to go report and get a hotel room any more. But supposedly four camera were confiscated today and four booted for good. From what I'm hearing, TWO were tradiitional news.

Anyone else hear differently?

I don't like the rules in this but I would NEVER go against them.

Here's my opinion at this point--to record it or camera it if they use that or publish it they are going to end up in trouble. So it is reporters and people that know they aren't gong to be able to keep up with her b.s. (and I believe it is b.s.) ruling that they can't even have a recorder to double check what was said.
It seems like Alex Martin from Gannett had his cameras confiscated, that's how I read it.

It seems like Alex Martin from Gannett had his cameras confiscated, that's how I read it.
I heard four people had cameras confiscated and that two were traditional media.

I'm going to say already this coverage is a mess imo. And way behind here all day. It;'s not a criticism but even out there, it is all over the place. I don't know about you, or anyone else, but I think we need to find a few solid sources.

I just now heard reporters are switching with ones not allowed back in... I mean really...

So you heard one person had four camera confiscatedb? Because I heard four people did and two were traditional media.

I have said and I meant it, and it may be surprising, but I am not a fan of Gull's decision on coverage. Look at the confusion already.

And I don't care what side of the fence any of us are on our our beliefs as to guilt, innocence, or just upset with some things but think guilt, etc. but I think we all want good coverage and a fair trial.

I'd bet we all can agree on and are on the same page on that.

I'm going to check Tom tonight and see where he sources from. He is always calm. And may check a few others. I think we all need to find some solid source here because it's all over the place already imo. Not a biased source towards what any one of us believe just a good source.

I heard four people had cameras confiscated and that two were traditional media.

I'm going to say already this coverage is a mess imo. And way behind here all day. It;'s not a criticism but even out there, it is all over the place. I don't know about you, or anyone else, but I think we need to find a few solid sources.

I just now heard reporters are switching with ones not allowed back in... I mean really...

So you heard one person had four camera confiscatedb? Because I heard four people did and two were traditional media.

I have said and I meant it, and it may be surprising, but I am not a fan of Gull's decision on coverage. Look at the confusion already.

And I don't care what side of the fence any of us are on our our beliefs as to guilt, innocence, or just upset with some things but think guilt, etc. but I think we all want good coverage and a fair trial.

I'd bet we all can agree on and are on the same page on that.

I'm going to check Tom tonight and see where he sources from. He is always calm. And may check a few others. I think we all need to find some solid source here because it's all over the place already imo. Not a biased source towards what any one of us believe just a good source.
I heard 4 banned, 5 cameras confiscated. Alex had 2. He's Gannett. I heard AP got banned, too.

Why didn’t they test the hair? It might belong to someone that would tie their murders to someone, who would force them to do some investigation. They had this for five years before RA was arrested. In those five years nobody on the Keystone cops thought it might be a significant clue.
Probably because it was a female hair and they are looking for a man because of the video and audio evidence. Also, regarding all the clothing shenanigans the transfer of a female hair from one girl to the other is very likely.

Or two.

My daughter is due over in the next 1/2 hour to hour so not sure I will get to Tom when scheduled at 5:30 but hoping to or at least later.

Probably because it was a female hair and they are looking for a man because of the video and audio evidence. Also, regarding all the clothing shenanigans the transfer of a female hair from one girl to the other is very likely.

I hope you're joking about that. Like LISK, it could be someone close to the murderer.

Help me out. I'm drawing a blank. OHHHH. Right as I was about to say you don't mean Kelsey it dawnedn on me. You MEAN KATHY ALLEN right????

Wow never would have dawned on me but should have as look at LISK...

Have had a very multiple, multitasking day. Doing a bit but a lot of many various things. Daughter is coming over and we were going to go out but instead she is making me dinnner. Showered. Caught up on a few cases, some emails, bills, cats' needs, and I NEVER get all cleaned or finished, I always hope but kitchen is clean, bathroom, laundry done, and hope to vacuum yet, shall see.

I could not believe though not a person was in this thread all day. I can believe people watch and find out stuff elsewhere.

So you do mean Kathy Allen right? Now that's interesting... But I will say it really depends on did the P try to track it down...? I'm thinking they did because what RP posted (think it was her) was that it was a female hair so they determined that much....
Yes I do mean her. I didn't get a chance to get on the thread earlier but knew that it is at least 5 hours behind me so i knew i would not see the whole days reporting till 10 pm my time and it is only that now. Still have not seen any afternoon coverage.

IMO, all evidence collected from murdered individuals needs to be analyzed. This is a bit of an issue. In the US, something like this could trip up the jury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom