LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I really have no recollection of the defense asking for RA to be moved to another state prison. Have you seen any orders about that?
Above response snipped by me.

Took me a while but, to answer your question, I found this link from last July that covers the defence request to move RA out of Westville and Gull's subsequent refusal.

From the link -

Special Judge Fran Gull denied a request from attorneys for Richard Allen to relocate him from the Indiana Department of Correction’s Westville Correctional Facility because of what they said were his deteriorating health and poor living conditions at the prison where he has been held since last November.
His lawyers argued, among other things, that Allen sleeps on a pad on a concrete floor; must wear the same clothes including underwear for days that are soiled, stained, tattered, and torn; and has had no chance to visit his wife or other family members in the past five months. His attorneys have described his living conditions as “akin to those of a prisoner of war.”

But the judge ruled, without going into specifics, that “the evidence presented demonstrated that the Defendant is treated more favorably than other inmates housed at the Westville Correctional Facility,” online court records said.
Meanwhile, in denying Allen be moved out of state custody, the judge also ruled the defense could not go in to inspect his cell. According to our sister station WTHR, the judge found the “request is unreasonable and oppressive, and beyond the scope of discovery.”

ETA I also searched on here and it was posted about upthread too. I couldn't remember all the details till I reread this and it refreshed my memory.

Last edited:

Took me a while but, to answer your question, I found this link from last July that covers the defence request to move RA out of Westville and Gull's subsequent refusal.

From the link -

Special Judge Fran Gull denied a request from attorneys for Richard Allen to relocate him from the Indiana Department of Correction’s Westville Correctional Facility because of what they said were his deteriorating health and poor living conditions at the prison where he has been held since last November.
His lawyers argued, among other things, that Allen sleeps on a pad on a concrete floor; must wear the same clothes including underwear for days that are soiled, stained, tattered, and torn; and has had no chance to visit his wife or other family members in the past five months. His attorneys have described his living conditions as “akin to those of a prisoner of war.”

But the judge ruled, without going into specifics, that “the evidence presented demonstrated that the Defendant is treated more favorably than other inmates housed at the Westville Correctional Facility,” online court records said.
Meanwhile, in denying Allen be moved out of state custody, the judge also ruled the defense could not go in to inspect his cell. According to our sister station WTHR, the judge found the “request is unreasonable and oppressive, and beyond the scope of discovery.”

ETA I also searched on here and it was posted about upthread too. I couldn't remember all the details till I reread this and it refreshed my memory.
I remember them asking for a move to county jail. I don't remember them asking for him to be moved to Wabash Valley (a state prison). It seemed kind of sudden.

I remember them asking for a move to county jail. I don't remember them asking for him to be moved to Wabash Valley (a state prison). It seemed kind of sudden.
No they didn't ask for him to go to Wabash and I don't think I said they did so I am just clarifying. They wanted him out of Westville, but they wanted him to go to Cass County. So eventually they got half what they wanted. It's all upthread around March/April timeframe as well but a link was easier.

Sheesh - that's almost a year ago now.

This was all before the F memo and the Odin guard info I believe.

He wasn't moved to Wabash till 8th Dec which was after the Odin hoohah.

Last edited:
Latest news.

Attorneys representing accused Delphi murderer Richard Allen are seeking to have the charges against him dismissed, claiming that police intentionally or negligently destroyed exculpatory evidence — meaning evidence supporting Allen’s innocence. The filing is the latest dramatic development in one of the most high-profile murder cases in Indiana history.
Allen is facing two counts of murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping as well as two counts of murder and two counts of kidnapping in the February 2017 slayings of Williams and German, whose bodies were discovered in a wooded area just off the Delphi Historic Trails system.
Williams and German vanished while walking the Monon High Bridge Trail near Delphi, Indiana, on Feb. 13, 2017. The trail traverses an abandoned stretch of what was once the Monon Railroad and crosses an old trestle over a small river or creek. The girls were found dead the next day in an area near the trestle, and their deaths were determined to be homicides.
In the motion, Allen’s attorneys accused police of “destroying exculpatory evidence,” specifically, recorded interviews with two supposed “key suspects” in the murders which they say were mysteriously erased. Those two interviews took place on Feb. 17 and Feb. 19, 2017, just days after the girls’ bodies were found.
While authorities provided memorialized summaries of the interviews, Allen’s attorneys requested the recordings so they could “listen to the exact spoken words” of the two men, “particularly the statements that the author of the document admits were not memorialized in the document.”
Law&Crime has chosen not to publish the names of the two interviewees, both of whom Allen claims were involved in the murders, as they have not been charged with any crimes.
Related Coverage:
However, the state in September said they did not have any recordings of the interviews and “offered no explanation as to why these didn’t exist,” the motion states. Prosecutors subsequently sought to have Allen’s attorneys, Brad Rozzi and Andrew Baldwin, removed from the case. The duo were controversially removed by Special Judge Fran C. Gull in October before the Indiana Supreme Court reinstated them last month.
Upon being reinstated, Rozzi and Baldwin say prosecutors told them they had accidentally deleted any such interviews.
“Due to a DVR program error discovered on 9-20-2017 all recordings up to February 20th. 2017, were recorded over,” prosecutors wrote in the letter cataloging the discovery evidence provided to Allen. “There is no detectible audio found on this drive.”
The motion emphasizes that a key part of Allen’s defense hinged on “directing attention” toward the two interviewees as “being involved” in the murders of Williams and German, reasoning that failing to maintain all of the records of those interviews amounts to violations of Allen’s due process rights.
“The videotaped interviews were deleted by the police. It is unknown what other interviews were deleted during the relevant time frames,” the motion states. “The destruction of material interviews of key suspects, early in the investigation, demonstrates negligence, if not intentional conduct on the part of the State. How could law enforcement, while investigating the most serious of crimes, record over interviews of material suspects with recklessness or intentionality?”
Allen’s attorneys explain that statements from the interviewees that may not have been included in the interview summaries could be critical to his defense because “as additional information is developed, reviewing prior statements may reveal inconsistencies or raise questions about other witnesses or other information relevant to an unbiased investigation.”
The motion points to one such instance in which one of the interviewees in 2017 allegedly told police that he had “never met” Williams. However, that individual in 2023 allegedly told investigators that he “barely even knew that girl,” saying, “I met her once.”
“It is therefore plausible that many more contradictions would be available to the defense but for the State’s intentional or negligent failure to preserve all of the evidence,” the motion states. “Such negligent and intentional conduct on the part of the police has also resulted in the absence of material evidence which could be exculpatory in nature.”
Gull on Wednesday also denied the latest motion from Allen seeking to have her removed as the presiding judge in the case, a request the state supreme court previously rejected. In the order, Gull wrote that she “denies the Verified Motion to Disqualify without hearing as the Indiana Supreme Court unanimously denied Defendant’s previous request on Jan. 18, 2024.”
A hearing to discuss prosecutors’ request to have Baldwin and Rozzi held in contempt of court for allowing the leaking of evidence in the case and bringing additional charges is scheduled for Feb. 12, but Allen has filed a motion to vacate the proceeding.
It also remains unclear if the trial will still begin in October 2024 as it is currently scheduled. Jury selection was originally slated to begin last month but was pushed back to autumn after Rozzi and Baldwin were removed and new public defenders were brought in to represent Allen.

Last edited:
Latest news.

Attorneys representing accused Delphi murderer Richard Allen are seeking to have the charges against him dismissed, claiming that police intentionally or negligently destroyed exculpatory evidence — meaning evidence supporting Allen’s innocence. The filing is the latest dramatic development in one of the most high-profile murder cases in Indiana history.
Allen is facing two counts of murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping as well as two counts of murder and two counts of kidnapping in the February 2017 slayings of Williams and German, whose bodies were discovered in a wooded area just off the Delphi Historic Trails system.
Williams and German vanished while walking the Monon High Bridge Trail near Delphi, Indiana, on Feb. 13, 2017. The trail traverses an abandoned stretch of what was once the Monon Railroad and crosses an old trestle over a small river or creek. The girls were found dead the next day in an area near the trestle, and their deaths were determined to be homicides.
In the motion, Allen’s attorneys accused police of “destroying exculpatory evidence,” specifically, recorded interviews with two supposed “key suspects” in the murders which they say were mysteriously erased. Those two interviews took place on Feb. 17 and Feb. 19, 2017, just days after the girls’ bodies were found.
While authorities provided memorialized summaries of the interviews, Allen’s attorneys requested the recordings so they could “listen to the exact spoken words” of the two men, “particularly the statements that the author of the document admits were not memorialized in the document.”
Law&Crime has chosen not to publish the names of the two interviewees, both of whom Allen claims were involved in the murders, as they have not been charged with any crimes.
Related Coverage:
However, the state in September said they did not have any recordings of the interviews and “offered no explanation as to why these didn’t exist,” the motion states. Prosecutors subsequently sought to have Allen’s attorneys, Brad Rozzi and Andrew Baldwin, removed from the case. The duo were controversially removed by Special Judge Fran C. Gull in October before the Indiana Supreme Court reinstated them last month.
Upon being reinstated, Rozzi and Baldwin say prosecutors told them they had accidentally deleted any such interviews.
“Due to a DVR program error discovered on 9-20-2017 all recordings up to February 20th. 2017, were recorded over,” prosecutors wrote in the letter cataloging the discovery evidence provided to Allen. “There is no detectible audio found on this drive.”
The motion emphasizes that a key part of Allen’s defense hinged on “directing attention” toward the two interviewees as “being involved” in the murders of Williams and German, reasoning that failing to maintain all of the records of those interviews amounts to violations of Allen’s due process rights.
“The videotaped interviews were deleted by the police. It is unknown what other interviews were deleted during the relevant time frames,” the motion states. “The destruction of material interviews of key suspects, early in the investigation, demonstrates negligence, if not intentional conduct on the part of the State. How could law enforcement, while investigating the most serious of crimes, record over interviews of material suspects with recklessness or intentionality?”
Allen’s attorneys explain that statements from the interviewees that may not have been included in the interview summaries could be critical to his defense because “as additional information is developed, reviewing prior statements may reveal inconsistencies or raise questions about other witnesses or other information relevant to an unbiased investigation.”
The motion points to one such instance in which one of the interviewees in 2017 allegedly told police that he had “never met” Williams. However, that individual in 2023 allegedly told investigators that he “barely even knew that girl,” saying, “I met her once.”
“It is therefore plausible that many more contradictions would be available to the defense but for the State’s intentional or negligent failure to preserve all of the evidence,” the motion states. “Such negligent and intentional conduct on the part of the police has also resulted in the absence of material evidence which could be exculpatory in nature.”
Gull on Wednesday also denied the latest motion from Allen seeking to have her removed as the presiding judge in the case, a request the state supreme court previously rejected. In the order, Gull wrote that she “denies the Verified Motion to Disqualify without hearing as the Indiana Supreme Court unanimously denied Defendant’s previous request on Jan. 18, 2024.”
A hearing to discuss prosecutors’ request to have Baldwin and Rozzi held in contempt of court for allowing the leaking of evidence in the case and bringing additional charges is scheduled for Feb. 12, but Allen has filed a motion to vacate the proceeding.
It also remains unclear if the trial will still begin in October 2024 as it is currently scheduled. Jury selection was originally slated to begin last month but was pushed back to autumn after Rozzi and Baldwin were removed and new public defenders were brought in to represent Allen.
I wonder how many interviews in total were lost.

I was looking up stuff the other day and KK is now at Indiana State Prison.

Just informing y'all.
He's not at Wabash anymore?

The article I just posted about lost DVR interviews, guess who two of those videos were with? Yes two Odin interviewees. They still have the notes of the interviews but not the DVR. The dates that are mentioned that these losses occurred were between 17th and 20th Feb 2017. Please check the article to make sure I have interpreted this correctly.

So my question is " will it matter if the actual videos are not retrievalble " but they have the notes and/or transcripts? I am thinking that video recorded interviews must have only been around for the last 50 years, so what happened regarding interviews previously?

From my knowledge of police procedures, a written transcript/statement is usually produced, which the interviewee signs and dates as being a true and correct account of the interview. So if those written notes include the signed statements, then that should be sufficient. The witness can be subpoenaed to testify also.

From the link -

Latest news.

Related Coverage:

None of this seems hinky to you?

I wonder how many interviews in total were lost.

That's the question. I have a feeling it's only two. More could have been erased in order for it to look like a "real" problem.

He's not at Wabash anymore?

The article I just posted about lost DVR interviews, guess who two of those videos were with? Yes two Odin interviewees. They still have the notes of the interviews but not the DVR. The dates that are mentioned that these losses occurred were between 17th and 20th Feb 2017. Please check the article to make sure I have interpreted this correctly.

So my question is " will it matter if the actual videos are not retrievalble " but they have the notes and/or transcripts? I am thinking that video recorded interviews must have only been around for the last 50 years, so what happened regarding interviews previously?

From my knowledge of police procedures, a written transcript/statement is usually produced, which the interviewee signs and dates as being a true and correct account of the interview. So if those written notes include the signed statements, then that should be sufficient. The witness can be subpoenaed to testify also.

In the WM3 case, officers went back and changed their reports so it would fit with the prosecutors theory.

I'd want footage.

None of this seems hinky to you?

That's the question. I have a feeling it's only two. More could have been erased in order for it to look like a "real" problem.
No. We already knew about the DD problem which almost let RA off the hook. That hindered the prosecution. I am of the opinion that the defence probably knew about this and that's why they chose those two Odinists for their stupid F theory.

In the WM3 case, officers went back and changed their reports so it would fit with the prosecutors theory.

I'd want footage.
Footage of the interviews is gone. They can be interviewed again though by either the defence or the prosecution or both. It was probably just talking about their alibis IMO. The officer should also have a pocket book entry and there should be signed transcripts, as I said. If they were missing too, I might think it hinky but AFAIK those two guys had alibis and neither were seen at the trails by witnesses.

Footage of the interviews is gone. They can be interviewed again though by either the defence or the prosecution or both. It was probably just talking about their alibis IMO. The officer should also have a pocket book entry and there should be signed transcripts, as I said. If they were missing too, I might think it hinky but AFAIK those two guys had alibis and neither were seen at the trails by witnesses.

Footage of the interview is a lot more valuable than transcripts, Transcripts can be changed. I haven't heard anything, maybe i missed it, about signed transcripts. If they are unsigned they could say whatever the department wants them to say.

We've already seen one discrepancy of the guy who said he'd never met the Abby and then said recently that he knew her a little. What were their alibis? That would be on the tape. Did the cops check them out thoroughly? "Oh yes, my husband was home then."

"Well, thank you ma'm, that clears that up.

Next court date Mar 18th.

From link above.

ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. — Special Judge Fran Gull has granted a continuance requested by the Delphi murder suspect’s defense team that asked for a Feb. 12 hearing to be pushed back.
The hearing is now scheduled for March 18 at 9 a.m. in Fort Wayne.
Judge Gull is expected to hear two issues during the hearing next month: a filing made by Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland to amend the charges against Delphi murder suspect Richard Allen and a Jan. 29 filing by McLeland seeking to hold Allen’s attorneys in contempt of court.

Allen is currently facing two counts of murder. However, McLeland is seeking to add two additional counts of murder and two counts of kidnapping against Allen.
McLeland also argues that Allen’s attorneys, Bradley Rozzi and Andrew Baldwin, should be held in contempt for evidence leaks traced back to Baldwin’s office and for violations of gag orders.
On Thursday, Rozzi and Baldwin fired back against the contempt claims with the pair arguing that the evidence leak was unintentional and hasn’t harmed the prosecution’s case. McLeland previously reported, however, that his office was tied up for days dealing with the fallout of the evidence leak instead of working on the upcoming trial.

Gull and Allen’s attorneys have not held a hearing since the Indiana Supreme Court reinstated Baldwin and Rozzi to the high-profile case. Gull previously removed the attorneys from the case citing “gross negligence” after the evidence lead which led to one man’s arrest.
Baldwin and Rozzi have tried three times to have Gull removed from the case, including asking the Indiana Supreme Court to kick her off the case. The high court denied the request.
In the attorneys’ most recent attempt, Rozzi and Baldwin questioned Gull’s ability to oversee the case without bias and called on the judge to recuse herself. Gull denied the request.
Rozzi and Baldwin also recently filed to have all of Richard Allen’s charges
thrown out on the grounds of interviews with “key suspects” being deleted after police taped over them in the early stages of the Delphi murders investigation. Gull has not yet weighed in this motion.

In another new development on Thursday, Gull denied Rozzi and Baldwin’s latest request to transfer Allen to a new prison. Allen’s attorneys once again claimed poor conditions for their client, with the prosecutor countering that Allen was “treated far better than any other inmate.”

Allen is being held at Wabash Correctional Facility after his attorneys successfully pushed to have him transferred from Westville Correctional Facility late last year.

Last edited:
Footage of the interview is a lot more valuable than transcripts, Transcripts can be changed. I haven't heard anything, maybe i missed it, about signed transcripts. If they are unsigned they could say whatever the department wants them to say.

We've already seen one discrepancy of the guy who said he'd never met the Abby and then said recently that he knew her a little. What were their alibis? That would be on the tape. Did the cops check them out thoroughly? "Oh yes, my husband was home then."

"Well, thank you ma'm, that clears that up.
BH alibi was he was at work, but I don't know about the other guy. They can be cross examined in court so I don't see a problem.

We've already seen one discrepancy of the guy who said he'd never met the Abby and then said recently that he knew her a little. What were their alibis? That would be on the tape. Did the cops check them out thoroughly?
Above post snipped by me.

Apparently this was BH discussing his son LH saying that he (LH) had only met Abby once and that they conversed by phone.

Most of these things you are asking have been addressed already or are available online or on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom