LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does one have to travel to retrieve a social media post?
I don't understand your question.

ETA. Ah I see. Yeah I don't know except perhaps the post had been deleted or removed from public view.

From the article -

"During the morning hearing, Allen’s attorneys recounted how they were forced to travel to Georgia to retrieve a social media post they claim essential to proving their client’s innocence."

Last edited:

Judge considers motion to dismiss charges and sanction prosecutor in Delphi case​

In what is in all likelihood a preview of the defense strategy for the October double murder trial of Delphi suspect Richard Allen, lawyers representing the man accused of killing Abby Williams and Libby German in 2017 argued motions before Judge Fran Gull today to dismiss the charges against their client, move him to a county jail and sanction the prosecutor for supposedly not turning over evidence in a coherent and timely manner.

On this first day of a three-day schedule in Carroll Circuit Court, Judge Gull said she would take the motions under advisement.

That these hearings are being held at all, and Judge Gull is expected to offer written opinions, would be a marked contrast for the contentious arguments that have pitted the defense team against both the prosecutor and the court ever since Allen was charged in October 2022.

The first Motion to Vacate Safekeeping Order seeks to reverse or modify an original order that saw Allen moved from the Carroll County Jail to the White County Jail to the Indiana Department of Correction’s Westville facility all within the first month after his arrest reportedly for his own protection from other inmates.

Prosecutor: Delphi murder suspect made 61 incriminating statements while incarcerated​

Richard Allen, charged in the 2017 killing of two Delphi teens, made 61 incriminating statements after he was arrested in 2022 and placed with the Indiana Department of Correction for safekeeping, a Carroll County prosecutor revealed in court today.

The prosecutor's statement came during legal arguments over whether Allen's alleged confessions can be admitted into evidence at his trial scheduled to begin in October. The new details emerged during the second day of what is expected to be a three-day hearing on key motions filed by the prosecution and defense attorneys.

The judge's rulings will be critical to the prosecution and defense team as they prepare for the trial.

Allen is facing four counts of murder in the 2017 deaths of Abigail "Abby" Williams and Liberty "Libby" German. He was arrested in October 2022, more than five years after the bodies of the teens were discovered near a popular hiking trail. The case is one of the most high-profile in Indiana and has attracted worldwide attention, but it's been bogged down by delays, controversies and seemingly endless legal and procedural fights.

Prosecutor: Delphi murder suspect made 61 incriminating statements while incarcerated​

Richard Allen, charged in the 2017 killing of two Delphi teens, made 61 incriminating statements after he was arrested in 2022 and placed with the Indiana Department of Correction for safekeeping, a Carroll County prosecutor revealed in court today.

The prosecutor's statement came during legal arguments over whether Allen's alleged confessions can be admitted into evidence at his trial scheduled to begin in October. The new details emerged during the second day of what is expected to be a three-day hearing on key motions filed by the prosecution and defense attorneys.

The judge's rulings will be critical to the prosecution and defense team as they prepare for the trial.

Allen is facing four counts of murder in the 2017 deaths of Abigail "Abby" Williams and Liberty "Libby" German. He was arrested in October 2022, more than five years after the bodies of the teens were discovered near a popular hiking trail. The case is one of the most high-profile in Indiana and has attracted worldwide attention, but it's been bogged down by delays, controversies and seemingly endless legal and procedural fights.

I'd like to know what those comments were. Allen may have been involved, but I'd be willing to bet he wasn't the only one.

$12,000 to take a trip to retrieve a piece of evidence that was unnecessary is more ridiculous b.s. by the Dumb Defense Duo. For what? And no, not the State nor the P should pay for an unnecessary trip. What'd they do fly around the world First class to get there and then stay at the Ritz and want their steak and bourbons paid for too? And then flew back home the same route?

Imo taking the father's phone also is going beyond in what defenses now expect to be considered exculpatory. He HAD an alibi and if anyone had a motive, it would be the son, NOT the father so that's a reach, always has been. And I doubt the son had one either. What these deputies did and apparently one from their own office must have as well is outrageous to think some theory that helps no water at all should have been continued to be investigated.

I can guess EXACTLY the type of nowaday cops they are, that they'd even buy into the sh*t.

I'm sure both "moms" (I know it is GMA) were asked about anyone they could think of that either girl knew and details about them to see who could be a suspect and just to talk to those they knew. There's NOTHING odd about that. Courts and ouri system CANNOT let such ridiculous sh*t go this far or be used by a D. I'm not saying that they can't use a SODDIT defense ever, I wouldn't have liked it either, but Ron Logan would have at least been understandable but instead the pick something as wild as space aliens. I'm not sure if there is some proof with RL that he did NOT do it that the D knew that one couldn't be used OR if the O thing was used because at the very same time they needed to somehow make his confessions go away or be explained and they tied the O thing in a long with O guards so that may have been their reason, they needed something to take care of both things and to make a big distraction and a splash and of course all their little "outlets" were waiting for the next stuff fed from them and to run with it and RUN THEY DID. Now though no one whispers a word...

Back to the $12,000, they don't have a chance in heck of being paid that or any of it. It is more of their ridiculous b.s. Gull is most definitely not going to find for them on that one. And she shouldn't.

She may find for them on Allen staying during trial at Cass. From now until then though? Maybe.

Most of the other things, the big things I find no basis given by them that would get such things thrown out. They did not cover each confession separately, which things on Libby's phone separately, etc., I think the Miranda warning thing also they have a fat chance of winning because I don't think the circumstances warrant that one was needed, etc.

I don't understand your question.

ETA. Ah I see. Yeah I don't know except perhaps the post had been deleted or removed from public view.

From the article -

"During the morning hearing, Allen’s attorneys recounted how they were forced to travel to Georgia to retrieve a social media post they claim essential to proving their client’s innocence."
They did not have to. Have they ever heard of a telephone? The internet? The US Mail? It is ludicrous. And I'd have definitely asked them to explain $12K and asked why they had to travel to get such.

Let's also remember these guys never even traveled for how long to see RA and whined about having to travel that far but then they take an unnecessary trip for this?

You know I am curious to see, however we won't see most likely, what a jury is going to do with them. I think they will tire of them pretty fast. At least if they don't pull out the buffoonery they seem to always show in pretrial things and issues that have arisen...

These people are using RA also imo. And the case. And needing to cover their own butts for the real reasons he confessed which falls directly on them imo.

Judge considers motion to dismiss charges and sanction prosecutor in Delphi case​

In what is in all likelihood a preview of the defense strategy for the October double murder trial of Delphi suspect Richard Allen, lawyers representing the man accused of killing Abby Williams and Libby German in 2017 argued motions before Judge Fran Gull today to dismiss the charges against their client, move him to a county jail and sanction the prosecutor for supposedly not turning over evidence in a coherent and timely manner.

On this first day of a three-day schedule in Carroll Circuit Court, Judge Gull said she would take the motions under advisement.

That these hearings are being held at all, and Judge Gull is expected to offer written opinions, would be a marked contrast for the contentious arguments that have pitted the defense team against both the prosecutor and the court ever since Allen was charged in October 2022.

The first Motion to Vacate Safekeeping Order seeks to reverse or modify an original order that saw Allen moved from the Carroll County Jail to the White County Jail to the Indiana Department of Correction’s Westville facility all within the first month after his arrest reportedly for his own protection from other inmates.
I think their headline is a bit misleading. She's hearing arguments and will be considering a decision after imo. Not a big deal but gives the impression of yes she is thinking of dismissing and thinking of sanctioning and just seems a bit false. However, the body of the article is pretty much fact.

Not a big deal as I said but It just sounds like the motion hearings are done, now she's heard all and now is considering, but she's still hearing arguments and motions. Not unusual for news though.

Very similar to what I linked and what they said too, which I didn't find all that informative for a day of arguments, two minutes can't tell a person much.

This one has some more info in it than the other blips I linked and former news. This said the P did argue his being moved.

In the various ones I linked, it sounded in one or maybe two as if Liggett said he doesn't care where he's at but he can't be at mine or something like that. Now I think they are putting that out of context or I took to wrong and he MEANT by that, I don't care if he's at the prison, he just can't be in our jail. NOT that he agrees with him being moved or doesn't conttest it because this one said the P did argue it... But then Liggett isn't the P either...

I'd like to know what those comments were. Allen may have been involved, but I'd be willing to bet he wasn't the only one.
Holy sh*t, now that is major news. SIXTY-ONE?! You know for them to know this, there's evidence. Imo.

No one ever counseled this man as they should have when he was first incarcerated imo.

But I also wonder how many came after the "real" confessions in an attempt with ones with false facts to try to make it appear as he doesn't know what he's doing in ANY of the confession, in other words trying to FIX his real confessions and make them "go away" so to speak... Some wonder if the D told him to do such and boy in most cases, you wouldn't think an attorney would pull such a thing but then these attorneys aren't well, imo, the most ethical and I could say worse even but no need to do so.

What will be interesting is which confessions came when...

I see absolutely no reason to rule out any of them. They haven't proved coercion, that mental snap, illness or anything caused such, and so on, they tout claims of such but haven't backed them up and the fact is HE CONFESSED MANY TIMES and the only way to determine what's true is to see them all, the dates, to who and when the stories changed, and let a jury decide, etc. as they have provided no proof or reason not to and they don't give arguments for each and every one either, they just want ALL gone.

I honestly see almost no basis in any of their motions.

The rare time they even start out with good reasons, and it is RARE, but it isn't a terrible argument that he should be closer and easier to see to prepare for trial and have the trial, but things aren't decided just on such either and he's charged and his safety matters, etc. but they just can't stick to the few good reasons they have. Ever. In most of the other motions, it is fluff imo. They don't have a leg to stand on, they don't provide one and no real basis.

It is so irritating they are giving and hearing testimony all day and now we are two days in and so little reported.

Well I'll say this, they didn't try some additional or new thing not to proceed to and do these hearings. Once their latest attempt with the ISC failed of course. I do't think it means we can expect that for trial, to not attempt delay, depending on how these rulings go BUT I think they have exhausted a lot of things but we also know defenses have and can keep things on delay for ten years or more if a judge has to cave to a reason or they have one that will for over concern of chance of appeal. Their delaying the last round of hearings imo wasn't wise. It did not grant just them time...

Anyhow, as of now, it would appear since they didn't make yet another effort to delay hearings on their own motions that maybe they do plan to proceed to trial. But again, I'm not going to count on it... If all they want or "need" isn't granted, and I don't think their motions were very good or backed up well, most, or even some of them, they will have to rethink their defense and I doubt they've given much thought to it for reasons well that they don't seem to be the type to work that way, you know, have a backup plan already thought out...

I'm responding in general of course, to these links and the news in them and not to anyone. Just my reaction to them.

But wow, this one with the news of 61 confessions is big news imo.

This one has some more info in it than the other blips I linked and former news. This said the P did argue his being moved.

In the various ones I linked, it sounded in one or maybe two as if Liggett said he doesn't care where he's at but he can't be at mine or something like that. Now I think they are putting that out of context or I took to wrong and he MEANT by that, I don't care if he's at the prison, he just can't be in our jail. NOT that he agrees with him being moved or doesn't conttest it because this one said the P did argue it... But then Liggett isn't the P either...
Liggett is Carroll County jail right? So he has always said they can't take him. Not enough room or staff to house him in solitary. Or to protect him from other inmates.

Holy sh*t, now that is major news. SIXTY-ONE?! You know for them to know this, there's evidence. Imo.

No one ever counseled this man as they should have when he was first incarcerated imo.

But I also wonder how many came after the "real" confessions in an attempt with ones with false facts to try to make it appear as he doesn't know what he's doing in ANY of the confession, in other words trying to FIX his real confessions and make them "go away" so to speak... Some wonder if the D told him to do such and boy in most cases, you wouldn't think an attorney would pull such a thing but then these attorneys aren't well, imo, the most ethical and I could say worse even but no need to do so.

What will be interesting is which confessions came when...

I see absolutely no reason to rule out any of them. They haven't proved coercion, that mental snap, illness or anything caused such, and so on, they tout claims of such but haven't backed them up and the fact is HE CONFESSED MANY TIMES and the only way to determine what's true is to see them all, the dates, to who and when the stories changed, and let a jury decide, etc. as they have provided no proof or reason not to and they don't give arguments for each and every one either, they just want ALL gone.

I honestly see almost no basis in any of their motions.

The rare time they even start out with good reasons, and it is RARE, but it isn't a terrible argument that he should be closer and easier to see to prepare for trial and have the trial, but things aren't decided just on such either and he's charged and his safety matters, etc. but they just can't stick to the few good reasons they have. Ever. In most of the other motions, it is fluff imo. They don't have a leg to stand on, they don't provide one and no real basis.

It is so irritating they are giving and hearing testimony all day and now we are two days in and so little reported.

Well I'll say this, they didn't try some additional or new thing not to proceed to and do these hearings. Once their latest attempt with the ISC failed of course. I do't think it means we can expect that for trial, to not attempt delay, depending on how these rulings go BUT I think they have exhausted a lot of things but we also know defenses have and can keep things on delay for ten years or more if a judge has to cave to a reason or they have one that will for over concern of chance of appeal. Their delaying the last round of hearings imo wasn't wise. It did not grant just them time...

Anyhow, as of now, it would appear since they didn't make yet another effort to delay hearings on their own motions that maybe they do plan to proceed to trial. But again, I'm not going to count on it... If all they want or "need" isn't granted, and I don't think their motions were very good or backed up well, most, or even some of them, they will have to rethink their defense and I doubt they've given much thought to it for reasons well that they don't seem to be the type to work that way, you know, have a backup plan already thought out...

I'm responding in general of course, to these links and the news in them and not to anyone. Just my reaction to them.

But wow, this one with the news of 61 confessions is big news imo.
Yes it was "only" 30, the last we knew and now suddenly 61 !!!!!

Does this mean he is continuing to confess? I cannot see how they could possibly keep this out of evidence now. In fact, I think they only really have a plea deal left as an option IMO.

Also, as it is all over the news, how can they keep that from the jury pool?

Liggett is Carroll County jail right? So he has always said they can't take him. Not enough room or staff to house him in solitary. Or to protect him from other inmates.
Yes. And his theme has always been the same as they don't have the capability of taking him, that has never changed, to protect, safeguard, house, and more and of course let's not forget he'd be in with local inmates knowing he was this Delphi killer of two girls. Some of us looked some of this up some time back and they TRULY have little staff for around the clock, I think it was like six or seven? if I recall right.

It's easy to get confused though because there was Leazenby as well. As sheriff. Even more confusing is their initials are both TL. Tobe Leazenby and Tony Liggettt. My memory is good on some things.

Regardless, his stance has never changed on the reasons.

And I should mention to if he goes into Cass isn't this these defense attys home county and sheriff's dept. and courthouse....

Yes it was "only" 30, the last we knew and now suddenly 61 !!!!!

Does this mean he is continuing to confess? I cannot see how they could possibly keep this out of evidence now. In fact, I think they only really have a plea deal left as an option IMO.

Also, as it is all over the news, how can they keep that from the jury pool?
I figure one of two things. He was confessing all of the time back when he first confessed and probably many more times even to wife, mom, etc, and more, with no attorneys who had even said hey we have you, don't talk, advising as they should. However, we counted 30 or 31 known of what in the last month and I think the Wish article just adding up what was said? The other THIRDY could be after and the ones with facts that don't match, trying to take away from the REAL ones and undo the damage to himself.

I mean he could have confessed to the warden 10 times for all we know, 10 times to mom, 10 times to wife, etc., etc. Also in the last month I have the feeling he confessed in that last LE interview and that is why they want THAT particular one thrown out... Could be wrong. Maybe it's just as you surmise and many do that he said he let no one else use his gun ever..

But one thing I'd like to point out and emu @Cousin Dupree like we have kept saying to you, there is a LOT clearly we do not know that has not been shared with the public. Isn't 61 times proof of that? As trial is neared and hearing held and stuff, it gets harder to not share evidence or facts in arguing such. The P has kept tight lipped but see? Now we never knew but heard 61 times because they are arguing motions as they near trial.

And THIS is also why I wish news who actually have people there were FULLY reporting because I doubt it is the only thing that has come out at the hearings but instead we get two minute nes blps half of which are explaining what motions are heard that day and then very little more after.

I am pretty sure at this point in the case the 61 number is not made up. I do suspect some were intentional wrongly faceted ones after truly confessing. To try to fix the fact he confessed.

It has been clear, to me, there is more here that panicked him to no end and has the defense (when they finally gave a **** because they failed him) trying to get rid of everything and the evidence upset RA when he had to read it alone. And he felt doomed.

So just saying, see, now things are coming we never knew WHILE they will still try to keep it hushed. The P anyhow. D never has...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom