LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well further comments after watching the above:

Becky Patty submitted a letter asking that the arrest affidavit stay sealed. They also submitted the petition with people supporting her with their signatures.

While I am nothing but sympathetic for the family, this imo is not at all where the weight should or will go when considering whether to keep it sealed or not.

The defense argued that the sealing actually makes the speculation worse, etc. and had some good points I gather.

Defense argues they have the wrong guy and he is innocent and defense also alludes to the fact that there just isn't much in the AA that one would expect in an arrest for murder, making their evidence sound not very impressive... (Paraphrasing)

Prosecution wants it sealed but says if released they want witness name redactions, etc.

What worries me here is if defense is right, this does not sound like an arrest where the evidence is a smoking gun and indisputable. BUT defense is going to say that AND prosecution is likely not to show all their cards in the affidavit...

Still, I don't like the sound of that...

Well further comments after watching the above:

Becky Patty submitted a letter asking that the arrest affidavit stay sealed. They also submitted the petition with people supporting her with their signatures.

While I am nothing but sympathetic for the family, this imo is not at all where the weight should or will go when considering whether to keep it sealed or not.

The defense argued that the sealing actually makes the speculation worse, etc. and had some good points I gather.

Defense argues they have the wrong guy and he is innocent and defense also alludes to the fact that there just isn't much in the AA that one would expect in an arrest for murder, making their evidence sound not very impressive... (Paraphrasing)

Prosecution wants it sealed but says if released they want witness name redactions, etc.

What worries me here is if defense is right, this does not sound like an arrest where the evidence is a smoking gun and indisputable. BUT defense is going to say that AND prosecution is likely not to show all their cards in the affidavit...

Still, I don't like the sound of that...
That could also just be the defense attorney doing his job and wanting them to show their cards so he knows what they are working with or trying to sew reasonable doubt into possible future jurors now.

Meanwhile, [Erica] Draper is trying to stay open minded about the case and ongoing homicide investigation. She said she spoke with Richard Allen on multiple occasions while he worked at a local CVS pharmacy before he was charged with the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German.

"This town has known Richard Allen for a long time (while he was) working at CVS and we've all liked Richard Allen," Draper said. "So, my feelings are that he's innocent until proven guilty. So, the court of law will show one way or the other."

She said at one point, she worked with his wife.

When she heard about Richard Allen being charged with two counts of murder, Draper said she felt sorry for his family. She thinks her fellow community members should leave the victims' families and Allen's family members in peace.

@KaitlynReports
·

Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland said they have a good reason to believe Allen did not act alone, that there are other actors.

(Could there be another voice on that tape? Surely they would have released it if there was, right?)

I think it might be Kline or Ron Logan set up the meeting online with Allen. I think there's definitely not another voice on that tape, or they would have said so. The second person (possibly third?) could've been silent while just pointing a gun or something.

@KaitlynReports
·

Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland said they have a good reason to believe Allen did not act alone, that there are other actors.

(Could there be another voice on that tape? Surely they would have released it if there was, right?)
I think if someone else was involved, he likely wasn't on the bridge with Allen and the girls.

Meanwhile, [Erica] Draper is trying to stay open minded about the case and ongoing homicide investigation. She said she spoke with Richard Allen on multiple occasions while he worked at a local CVS pharmacy before he was charged with the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German.

"This town has known Richard Allen for a long time (while he was) working at CVS and we've all liked Richard Allen," Draper said. "So, my feelings are that he's innocent until proven guilty. So, the court of law will show one way or the other."

She said at one point, she worked with his wife.

When she heard about Richard Allen being charged with two counts of murder, Draper said she felt sorry for his family. She thinks her fellow community members should leave the victims' families and Allen's family members in peace.

The community is bothering Abby and Libby's family members and Allen's? Delphi people are? To what is she referring?

I think it might be Kline or Ron Logan set up the meeting online with Allen. I think there's definitely not another voice on that tape, or they would have said so. The second person (possibly third?) could've been silent while just pointing a gun or something.
Or waiting elsewhere like at the bottom of the hill. Or not present at all but involved. Or waiting in a car. Etc.

Plastered all over Indiana news sources right now: The warrant will REMAIN SEALED for several reasons, one of which is that others were involved in the girls' deaths.
I don't know. If prosecutors couldn't give a basis for others being involved... Did they?

The way I understand such laws is they need to release at minimum a document with redactions and only a few situations call for not doing so. In the Morphew case imo the judge went against the allowed reasons for it and didn't have a legitimate one. Nevertheless it bought time but I still feel it was wrong per the guidelines and law on it.

This judge is apparently a good one. I'm interested to see what she does.

I don't know. If prosecutors couldn't give a basis for others being involved... Did they?

The way I understand such laws is they need to release at minimum a document with redactions and only a few situations call for not doing so. In the Morphew case imo the judge went against the allowed reasons for it and didn't have a legitimate one. Nevertheless it bought time but I still feel it was wrong per the guidelines and law on it.

This judge is apparently a good one. I'm interested to see what she does.
The judge is an Allen County Superior court judge who apparently has been on the bench for years and has a lot of experience in hearing murder trials.

This bio of Judge Gull is from the official Allen Superior Court webpage titled "Meet the Judges." To say that it is an extremely impressive resume/curricula vitae is an understatement. Meet the Judges | Allen Superior Court
She has won dozens of awards for her work.

Selected excerpts from her lengthy bio:
" Prior to becoming Judge, from 1987 until 1996, Gull served in the Allen County Prosecutor’s Office. She rose to the position of Chief Deputy Prosecutor, a role in which she served from 1990 until her election to the Superior Court bench. In the Prosecutor’s Office, she also served as Chief Counsel, Criminal Division; Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, Sex Crimes Unit; and Section Chief, Felony Division."......
"In the Prosecutor’s Office, Judge Gull prosecuted hundreds of offenders. In the Sex Crimes Unit, she was responsible for cases of sexual assault against women and children. Later, as Section Chief in major felonies, her trial schedule expanded to include robbery, burglary, arson, battery and other serious felony offenses. (BBM). As Chief Counsel and then as Chief Deputy, she was responsible for the prosecution of all homicides, high profile felony cases, (BBM) arson investigations, and cases involving political figures."
"Since 1989, she has provided training and lectures on search and seizure, general criminal law, juvenile law, domestic violence, arson investigation, and issues relating to prosecution and the criminal justice system, including Indiana’s Jury Rules, trial advocacy and courtroom testimony. Judge Gull has also been a guest speaker/lecturer for many community and business organizations, as well as schools at all educational levels."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom