CO SUZANNE MORPHEW: Missing from Chaffee County, CO - 10 May 2020 - Age 49 *Found Deceased*

A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned, sparking a search involving more than 100 emergency personnel.

The Chaffee County Communications Center received a report on Sunday at 5:46 p.m. regarding a missing woman in the area of County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Anybody who has information on Morphew’s whereabouts is asked to call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

1589412136362.png

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited:
One article I read said 50 miles
'45 plus ish miles as I mentioned. Fits perfectly with the window of time talked of for years and that he may have went another direction. Many drilled into thinking she was somewhere on the way to Broomfield, possible but I felt unlikely. Some thought she was buried in his job there which I thought a ridiculous theory. He had a lot of time before he ever went to his alibi "faked" job plan. In his head all would think she went missing Mother's day on her ride. She was dead by Mother's Day.

BY CBSCOLORADO.COM STAFF
UPDATED ON: SEPTEMBER 27, 2023 / 10:33 PM / CBS COLORADO

The attorney for Barry Morphew released a statement on behalf of his family following the reported discovery of wife Suzanne Morphew's remains on Wednesday. Investigators confirmed they identified her remains after discovering them in Saguache County on Sept. 22.

Suzanne went missing in May 2020, and Barry was subsequently arrested for her murder in 2021 before a judge would then dismiss the case against him in April 2022.

Statement from Eytan Law Firm:

"Barry is with his daughters and they are all struggling with immense shock and grief after learning today that their mother and wife whom they deeply love was found deceased. They had faith that their wife and mom would walk back into their lives again. The news is heartbreaking."

"Neither the DA nor the authorities notified Mallory and Macy Morphew about the recovery of their mom."
"From what we know, Barry is as innocent as he was from Day 1. DA Stanley and law enforcement got it wrong. We hope the authorities will quickly admit their wrongful persecution of Barry, an innocent man, to treat the Morphew's like the victims they are, and charge the person(s) responsible for Suzanne's killing."

"The Morphew's would appreciate their privacy during this deeply emotional and personal time."

BY CBSCOLORADO.COM STAFF

The attorney for Barry Morphew released a statement on behalf of his family following the reported discovery of wife Suzanne Morphew's remains on Wednesday. Investigators confirmed they identified her remains after discovering them in Saguache County on Sept. 22.

Suzanne went missing in May 2020, and Barry was subsequently arrested for her murder in 2021 before a judge would then dismiss the case against him in April 2022.

"Barry is with his daughters and they are all struggling with immense shock and grief after learning today that their mother and wife whom they deeply love was found deceased. They had faith that their wife and mom would walk back into their lives again. The news is heartbreaking."

"Neither the DA nor the authorities notified Mallory and Macy Morphew about the recovery of their mom."
"From what we know, Barry is as innocent as he was from Day 1. DA Stanley and law enforcement got it wrong. We hope the authorities will quickly admit their wrongful persecution of Barry, an innocent man, to treat the Morphew's like the victims they are, and charge the person(s) responsible for Suzanne's killing."

"The Morphew's would appreciate their privacy during this deeply emotional and personal time."
I am hoping for justice for Suzanne 💪

'45 plus ish miles as I mentioned. Fits perfectly with the window of time talked of for years and that he may have went another direction. Many drilled into thinking she was somewhere on the way to Broomfield, possible but I felt unlikely. Some thought she was buried in his job there which I thought a ridiculous theory. He had a lot of time before he ever went to his alibi "faked" job plan. In his head all would think she went missing Mother's day on her ride. She was dead by Mother's Day.
Assuming he may have taken back roads, but who knows. That's a pretty straight shot.

BY CBSCOLORADO.COM STAFF

This is as odd and strange as they and their defense team are. And unless I am mistaken, they never said Suzanne was killed by another did they? I believe she was murdered, by HIM but why do they believe she was murdered since they claim he didn't do it?

And what kind of statement is it that they never notified Mallory or Macy? Does that mean they notified Barry? If so, then that's normal, you are the spouse and parent and you tell your family members. Not a one of them did a thing for Suzanne anyhow nor showed a hint of grief.

You'd think instead of wanting privacy Barry AND Iris and the girls would be crowing that this means someone else did it but they aren't.

From their weird statement about Macy and Mallory it is hard to say if LE notified Barry or Iris since he is represented or does she mean none of them were notified. If only Barry was/Iris, then maybe there was a reason for that and Barry didn't tell his girls? If Barry wasn't told either, then why don't they say so? Did they want him to know for some reason...?

NOT a word that a normal family would utter like how relieved they are that Suzanne can now be laid to rest and they can have a proper burial, etc. Not a SINGLE word about Suzanne. Iris isn't even smart enough to tell them what a normal family would say/be feeling.

This was a pretty quick ID... Five days or less. How did they know they had Suzanne or even know to test for a match to Suzanne (if they did) and so quickly...

Look back at post 786... That was just a couple of months ago.

So it was CBI, it was a search and the search was unrelated to her disappearance. I guess that doesn't mean it was unrelated to absolutely anything other than her actual disappearance. Does it hint if it was a search by warrant or just a general search? What I mean is if on private property it would likely be a warrant, if of a lake it would likely not.

One place that would be deemed difficult to search would be private property if not enough cause to get a warrant...

Well, nothing keeps the family from talking but I expect they aren't going to be going on GMA and Dr. Phil this time. I am so sure he killed his wife (opinion), this has got to fit in somehow. I am waiting for some good YTer to get on it and the location and also to see what shakes out now that it's been announced. They wanted her body for a rearrest and now they have it...

Again, what tied her or made them think it was her... I suppose a wedding ring or anything is possible but I also think it possible they went in hoping to find her. Just because the actual search was NOT related to her disappearance doesn't mean they couldn't have had to find another cause (if by warrant) or just were doing a general search for anyone and anything and found her does it? Not sure on all that but wondering...

Moffat rings a bell with me. Meaning I"ve heard of it but not necessarily in this case, probably in another or something.

I keep thinking of the guy they called Psycho. San Luis Valley was in that case and one county the valley is in is Saguache. That was a CBI case... I'm not saying he killed Suzanne but I am wondering why some of the location names sound familiar to me.

Assuming he may have taken back roads, but who knows. That's a pretty straight shot.
It is a pretty straight shot and very doable whether by back road or direct. He could also stop back home easily and depending on time and day, shower, clean, switch vehicles or even stop quickly and head right out for Broomfield or not stop at all. He has got the girls out of the house throughout, etc. Then in Broomfield he was throwing things away in different spots, etc. and he'd have evidence in one direction but her body completely in another... I always favored him going the opposite and then going to Broomfield/the opposite. I can't say I didn't wonder though if she was closer to home OR was dumped on the way to Broomfield. Anything was possible was the problem at least with the bit the public knew, LE may have known more. I just thought the alibi location was the alibi location and nothing more. I'd say you don't want the body at your alibi location although he was dumping "trash" at various businesses there and showering but that is also before his team showed up. He also likely stopped back home to stage the bike after. So he's got the gone missing scene at home basically or near home, her body nowhere near and way south and other evidence disposed of way north. I'm no murderer but I could see doing that, it makes sense to me. I wouldn't have made a couple of the mistakes he did but then, it's Barry... Right?

I DO think she may have been moved at some point, many do, but this straight shot may mean she wasn't. However, it is possible he had her somewhere but expected to be believed by LE about the bike ride and it not to get too big and when it did, and he and his home and the area were being looked at, he possibly could have had second thoughts and moved her. I don't necessarily think so or favor that but I haven't ruled it out. It is far more likely though that he took her straight away in this one direction and then at some point headed in the other alibi direction.

If this is a piece of the final pie and they can connect him, I'd almost have to guess they won't arrest too quickly as they will want to ensure it sticks this time and we all know Ol' Iris will use every lie and trick in the book.

It is interesting to me how little she said and how odd it was. On the other hand, the whole group of them is odd. Sorry but they are. Not a word about being able to lay Suzanne to rest just adds another negative to many in my opinion of them already. I used to try, at least with the girls, but there comes a point... Not a ONE of them EVER did one little thing in tribute or memory of her and when they have spoken which they HAVE, it has never been about her, just about Barry. Clearly the questions are and were agreed to. Not a question about where were you, for how long, when did you find out, who from? What was your mother like? NOTHING.

And right there I had better stop as it will change my direction and I'll go on.

I am so HAPPY she was found. NEVER did I believe she would be and it bothered me to no end. For all of us, Joe Public, there were too many possibilities, she could have been ANYWHERE and her brother said as much, less than a needle in a haystack kind of thing and he was just talking the mountains in the home area, etc.

Caught up here some now just went and refreshed YT and here is Lauren Scharf and Sara! Haven't seen them in forever. Lauren is no longer reporting, I think she took a job a a school for a change and in a different state. I haven't watched it yet but I love these two women. They put sooo much into this case.

Lauren said she had it confirmed that Barry was notified first as next of kin and then Suzanne's family were notified next.

My thoughs on that: Iris and the girls can take a flying leap as who would ever not expect each family to then tell the rest like Barry tell his daughters. Of course you can or should be able to assume that. Do we think the girls would answer the phone from LE? Or not freak out if an officer showed up on their doorstep or Barry and the girls then gripe about and have a fit about that and not sensitively leaving it to Barry to inform his daughters in the best and softest way he knows how (gag)? That was such a dumb remark on Iris's part. Imo.

BY CBSCOLORADO.COM STAFF

Inside that statement is something to help their civil case. Isn’t he still suing the police department?

"The 49 year old bones were found in a remote dry desert field of sagebrush and natural grasses south of Moffat according to Saguache County Coroner" Word for word read by Lauren I think she said from the Denver Gazette.

Now real work begins. Lauren says this Dr. Kelly (coroner) is fantastic, excellent she has worked with him as has Sara.

Okay now Lauren is saying what I first wondered above, was the land the remains were found on private, public, federal, etc...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eric
Back
Top Bottom