CO SUZANNE MORPHEW: Missing from Chaffee County, CO - 10 May 2020 - Age 49 *Found Deceased*

A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned, sparking a search involving more than 100 emergency personnel.

The Chaffee County Communications Center received a report on Sunday at 5:46 p.m. regarding a missing woman in the area of County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Anybody who has information on Morphew’s whereabouts is asked to call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

1589412136362.png

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited:
What are the chances that killer might possibly be Barry himself?
About 100 percent imo. Jmo.

What are the chances he killed the other person whose body they found allegedly? Not as good but I could definitely believe he is capable of it and that it is possible.

This man is a monster. I do NOT believe he is the brightest but you don't need to be to do this.

Okay. Big surprise I've had no time to watch he ones I started earlier today. I am now watching a few minutes more of Linda's live last night and this is unverified BUT a person in chat is telling her they are saying (whoever they is) that she was found on a Colorado Highway 17 undeveloped property, 7 miles north of Moffat, west side of Highway 17, mile marker 113 on the northeast corner of the property.

Again I can't verify this. Man I wish I had a life with time.

Some other guy says, don't know if Linda has seen coverage yet but she was found in front of a house and a bit strange since he is a landscaper. NOTE, I don't know any of this to be fact .

Now someone tells her Jennifer Koffendaffer (sp?) says remains and personal items found. We all know who that is right? Again his is repeated to Linda so hard to say if context is right. Last night.

Good point in the chat. If SM was found in her swimsuit or swimsuit was found BM is screwed. I hate to hope for such a thing but she is passed regardless, do we dare hope it is that obvious he did it? It would nail him so hard into his lies i wouldn't even be funny.

Now someone says property was not developed at time she went missing which kind of fits the ad I found above.

Another later says Daily Mail says says her bones were scattered over years.

I am taking some of this with a grain of salt. Could be true definitely, could not be definitely. I"m sorry but even Daily Mail I'm not going to go hook, line and sinker into believing.

The one I am buying the most is this address... And it so fits with Barry imo.... Remember he bought land or whatever for himself and/or to build his mom a home and he needed money to do so or something like that, Suzanne's money too to get the CO home to begin with. This man I can see looking at and knowing undeveloped properties plus he was a landscaper. It just FITS to me.

Now Linda is talking of his lawsuit I guess against how many agents, deputies, departments, etc. I gather it was a 185 page document. 'We thought Delphi was long at 135 or whatever. I guess Iris can go on.

Uhhm no mention of my long posts as now I know they are SHORT compared to some attorneys. It is sad the legal world is getting so ridiculous and even verbose when they are to get to the point of the matter and the law. Or Barry can. Whatever the case... They are kissing client and atty anyhow right ;)...

Just my opinion. Of course.

Last edited:
The remains were found a week ago (22nd).

Suzanne Morphew body found: Remains of woman who went missing on Mother's Day 2020 located. The woman's husband, Barry Morphew, previously had murder charges against him dropped.

ByTHOMAS
PEIPERT, COLLEEN SLEVIN, JESSE BEDAYN and MATTHEW BROWNThursday, September 28, 2023 9:41PM
Remains of woman who went missing on Mother's Day 2020 found in CO

The woman's husband previously had murder charges against him dropped.

DENVER -- The discovery of Suzanne Morphew's remains three years after the Colorado woman went missing on Mother's Day is raising new questions about what happened and whether her husband remains a suspect since murder charges were dropped against him.
Barry Morphew issued a statement through his attorney reasserting his innocence and saying he and the couple's two grown daughters had held out hope his wife would return alive. He previously filed a $15 million lawsuit against county officials, accusing them of violating his constitutional rights.
Authorities are not answering questions about how last week's discovery of the remains impacts the case, saying only that the investigation continues.
Here's what to know about the case:

WHAT HAPPENED TO SUZANNE MORPHEW?​

Morphew, originally from Alexandria, Indiana, was 49 when she was reported missing by a neighbor near the small city of Salida, Colorado, on May 10, 2020 - Mother's Day.
Her disappearance launched searches of the mountainous area by local and state authorities, aided by the FBI.
Dive teams searched waterways and more than 400 people were interviewed in multiple states as investigators sought clues. Suzanne Morphew's brother said months later that the family was organizing its own search.

HOW WAS THE BODY FOUND?​

By accident.
State investigators working on an unrelated case discovered the remains Sept. 22 in the Moffat area - about 40 miles south of where Suzanne Morphew was reported missing.
Her bones were located in a remote field of sagebrush and grasses, Saguache County Coroner Tom Perrin told the Denver Gazette. It appeared the remains had been buried in a shallow grave before being scattered, he said.
Authorities identified the remains Wednesday.
She had been among more than 23,000 unresolved missing persons cases nationwide, according to federal data. That includes 367 open cases in Colorado. People who are Native American or Black account for a disproportionately high number of missing persons in the U.S. compared to the overall population, the statistics show.

WHY WAS THE HUSBAND PREVIOUSLY CHARGED?​

Barry Morphew was arrested in May of 2021 on suspicion of first-degree murder, tampering with a human body and other offenses.
He also was charged with possessing a banned short rifle and trying to influence public servants after his wife disappeared.
Investigators alleged the couple had a troubled marriage. Since Barry Morphew could not control her, the avid hunter and sportsman "resorted to something he has done his entire life - hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals," investigators said in an affidavit.
Prosecutors alleged that Morphew killed his wife on the evening of May 9, 2020, before leaving for work in the Denver area the following day.
He did not initially tell investigators he went out of his way as he left, driving toward the place where his wife's bicycle helmet was eventually found. Later, he said he went that way because he had seen an elk cross the road, the affidavit said.
Authorities also alleged that Morphew submitted a fraudulent vote on his wife's behalf for Donald Trump in the 2020 November presidential election. Morphew told investigators he mailed in the ballot on behalf of Suzanne Morphew to help Trump win and he thought his wife would have voted for Trump anyway, according to court documents.
He pleaded guilty to fraud and was fined and assessed court costs of $600.

IS BARRY MORPHEW STILL A SUSPECT?​

Prosecutors dropped the charges over Suzanne Morphew's death in April 2022 after a judge barred them from calling key witnesses for repeatedly failing to follow rules for turning over evidence in his favor. That included DNA from an unknown male found in Suzanne Morphew's SUV.
At the time, prosecutors said they wanted more time to find her body.
The charges against Morphew were dismissed without prejudice, leaving the door open should prosecutors later decide to pursue a case against him.
Barry Morphew's lawyers in April filed a complaint asking that the prosecutors be disciplined for allegedly intentionally withholding evidence in the case. He filed a $15 million lawsuit in May against prosecutors and investigators, accusing them of violating his constitutional rights.

WHAT DOES BARRY MORPHEW SAY ABOUT ALL THIS?​

His attorney said in a statement Wednesday that the family was mourning her death.
"They had faith that their wife and mom would walk back into their lives again. The news is heartbreaking," said the statement from the Eytan Law provided to KCNC-TV.
The couple's two adult daughters said in an interview last year that they stood behind their father and did not believe he had anything to do with her disappearance.
Suzanne Morphew's brother, David Moorman, thanked law enforcement Thursday for their efforts on behalf of the family.
"We look forward to finding long awaited justice for Suzanne in the successful prosecutions of those involved in her disappearance," Moorman said in a statement provided to The Associated Press. "The memories of her gentle spirit and wonderful smile have been a constant presence since her disappearance to all who knew and loved her."

ARE THERE OTHER SUSPECTS?​

About three months after Barry Morphew's arrest, investigators revealed they had DNA that corresponded with three unsolved sexual assault cases - raising the possibility of another suspect. The DNA found on the glovebox in Suzanne Morphew's car matched profiles developed in sexual assault cases in Chicago, Phoenix and Tempe, Arizona, a Colorado Board of Investigation agent said.
The 12th District Attorney's Office, which covers the area where the remains were found, declined comment on whether it would handle any prosecution in her death. Prosecutors for the 11th District Attorney's Office, which covers the area where Morphew lived with her husband and which had prosecuted Barry Morphew before dropping the charges against him, declined comment.
Barry Morphew's attorney urged officials to find Suzanne Morphew's killer and admit it wasn't the husband.
"We hope the authorities will quickly admit their wrongful persecution of Barry, an innocent man, to treat the Morphew's like the victims they are, and charge the person(s) responsible for Suzanne's killing," the attorney's statement said.
Brown reported from Billings.

Last edited:
This is as odd and strange as they and their defense team are. And unless I am mistaken, they never said Suzanne was killed by another did they? I believe she was murdered, by HIM but why do they believe she was murdered since they claim he didn't do it?

And what kind of statement is it that they never notified Mallory or Macy? Does that mean they notified Barry? If so, then that's normal, you are the spouse and parent and you tell your family members. Not a one of them did a thing for Suzanne anyhow nor showed a hint of grief.

You'd think instead of wanting privacy Barry AND Iris and the girls would be crowing that this means someone else did it but they aren't.

From their weird statement about Macy and Mallory it is hard to say if LE notified Barry or Iris since he is represented or does she mean none of them were notified. If only Barry was/Iris, then maybe there was a reason for that and Barry didn't tell his girls? If Barry wasn't told either, then why don't they say so? Did they want him to know for some reason...?

NOT a word that a normal family would utter like how relieved they are that Suzanne can now be laid to rest and they can have a proper burial, etc. Not a SINGLE word about Suzanne. Iris isn't even smart enough to tell them what a normal family would say/be feeling.

This was a pretty quick ID... Five days or less. How did they know they had Suzanne or even know to test for a match to Suzanne (if they did) and so quickly...

Look back at post 786... That was just a couple of months ago.

So it was CBI, it was a search and the search was unrelated to her disappearance. I guess that doesn't mean it was unrelated to absolutely anything other than her actual disappearance. Does it hint if it was a search by warrant or just a general search? What I mean is if on private property it would likely be a warrant, if of a lake it would likely not.

One place that would be deemed difficult to search would be private property if not enough cause to get a warrant...

Well, nothing keeps the family from talking but I expect they aren't going to be going on GMA and Dr. Phil this time. I am so sure he killed his wife (opinion), this has got to fit in somehow. I am waiting for some good YTer to get on it and the location and also to see what shakes out now that it's been announced. They wanted her body for a rearrest and now they have it...

Again, what tied her or made them think it was her... I suppose a wedding ring or anything is possible but I also think it possible they went in hoping to find her. Just because the actual search was NOT related to her disappearance doesn't mean they couldn't have had to find another cause (if by warrant) or just were doing a general search for anyone and anything and found her does it? Not sure on all that but wondering...

Moffat rings a bell with me. Meaning I"ve heard of it but not necessarily in this case, probably in another or something.

I keep thinking of the guy they called Psycho. San Luis Valley was in that case and one county the valley is in is Saguache. That was a CBI case... I'm not saying he killed Suzanne but I am wondering why some of the location names sound familiar to me.
Yes, absolutely. I wonder if they were out there searching for one of his victims.....

Yes, absolutely. I wonder if they were out there searching for one of his victims.....
You mean the Psycho guy? I consider/ed it a distinct possibility. The name of who they were searching for is out there now,. Interestingly, if the talk is correct, they did not find who they were searching for but instead found two other bodies, one of which was Suzanne. I think I heard someone say this area is referred to as the Boneyard or something like that, didn't catch why...

For me, I have no doubt Barry is involved, at least in relation to Suzanne. That's my opinion. I have extreme bias in this case. Against Barry.

The remains were found a week ago (22nd).

Suzanne Morphew body found: Remains of woman who went missing on Mother's Day 2020 located. The woman's husband, Barry Morphew, previously had murder charges against him dropped.

ByTHOMAS
PEIPERT, COLLEEN SLEVIN, JESSE BEDAYN and MATTHEW BROWNThursday, September 28, 2023 9:41PM
Remains of woman who went missing on Mother's Day 2020 found in CO's Day 2020 found in CO

The woman's husband previously had murder charges against him dropped.

DENVER -- The discovery of Suzanne Morphew's remains three years after the Colorado woman went missing on Mother's Day is raising new questions about what happened and whether her husband remains a suspect since murder charges were dropped against him.
Barry Morphew issued a statement through his attorney reasserting his innocence and saying he and the couple's two grown daughters had held out hope his wife would return alive. He previously filed a $15 million lawsuit against county officials, accusing them of violating his constitutional rights.
Authorities are not answering questions about how last week's discovery of the remains impacts the case, saying only that the investigation continues.
Here's what to know about the case:

WHAT HAPPENED TO SUZANNE MORPHEW?​

Morphew, originally from Alexandria, Indiana, was 49 when she was reported missing by a neighbor near the small city of Salida, Colorado, on May 10, 2020 - Mother's Day.
Her disappearance launched searches of the mountainous area by local and state authorities, aided by the FBI.
Dive teams searched waterways and more than 400 people were interviewed in multiple states as investigators sought clues. Suzanne Morphew's brother said months later that the family was organizing its own search.

HOW WAS THE BODY FOUND?​

By accident.
State investigators working on an unrelated case discovered the remains Sept. 22 in the Moffat area - about 40 miles south of where Suzanne Morphew was reported missing.
Her bones were located in a remote field of sagebrush and grasses, Saguache County Coroner Tom Perrin told the Denver Gazette. It appeared the remains had been buried in a shallow grave before being scattered, he said.
Authorities identified the remains Wednesday.
She had been among more than 23,000 unresolved missing persons cases nationwide, according to federal data. That includes 367 open cases in Colorado. People who are Native American or Black account for a disproportionately high number of missing persons in the U.S. compared to the overall population, the statistics show.

WHY WAS THE HUSBAND PREVIOUSLY CHARGED?​

Barry Morphew was arrested in May of 2021 on suspicion of first-degree murder, tampering with a human body and other offenses.
He also was charged with possessing a banned short rifle and trying to influence public servants after his wife disappeared.
Investigators alleged the couple had a troubled marriage. Since Barry Morphew could not control her, the avid hunter and sportsman "resorted to something he has done his entire life - hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals," investigators said in an affidavit.
Prosecutors alleged that Morphew killed his wife on the evening of May 9, 2020, before leaving for work in the Denver area the following day.
He did not initially tell investigators he went out of his way as he left, driving toward the place where his wife's bicycle helmet was eventually found. Later, he said he went that way because he had seen an elk cross the road, the affidavit said.
Authorities also alleged that Morphew submitted a fraudulent vote on his wife's behalf for Donald Trump in the 2020 November presidential election. Morphew told investigators he mailed in the ballot on behalf of Suzanne Morphew to help Trump win and he thought his wife would have voted for Trump anyway, according to court documents.
He pleaded guilty to fraud and was fined and assessed court costs of $600.

IS BARRY MORPHEW STILL A SUSPECT?​

Prosecutors dropped the charges over Suzanne Morphew's death in April 2022 after a judge barred them from calling key witnesses for repeatedly failing to follow rules for turning over evidence in his favor. That included DNA from an unknown male found in Suzanne Morphew's SUV.
At the time, prosecutors said they wanted more time to find her body.
The charges against Morphew were dismissed without prejudice, leaving the door open should prosecutors later decide to pursue a case against him.
Barry Morphew's lawyers in April filed a complaint asking that the prosecutors be disciplined for allegedly intentionally withholding evidence in the case. He filed a $15 million lawsuit in May against prosecutors and investigators, accusing them of violating his constitutional rights.

WHAT DOES BARRY MORPHEW SAY ABOUT ALL THIS?​

His attorney said in a statement Wednesday that the family was mourning her death.
"They had faith that their wife and mom would walk back into their lives again. The news is heartbreaking," said the statement from the Eytan Law provided to KCNC-TV.
The couple's two adult daughters said in an interview last year that they stood behind their father and did not believe he had anything to do with her disappearance.
Suzanne Morphew's brother, David Moorman, thanked law enforcement Thursday for their efforts on behalf of the family.
"We look forward to finding long awaited justice for Suzanne in the successful prosecutions of those involved in her disappearance," Moorman said in a statement provided to The Associated Press. "The memories of her gentle spirit and wonderful smile have been a constant presence since her disappearance to all who knew and loved her."

ARE THERE OTHER SUSPECTS?​

About three months after Barry Morphew's arrest, investigators revealed they had DNA that corresponded with three unsolved sexual assault cases - raising the possibility of another suspect. The DNA found on the glovebox in Suzanne Morphew's car matched profiles developed in sexual assault cases in Chicago, Phoenix and Tempe, Arizona, a Colorado Board of Investigation agent said.
The 12th District Attorney's Office, which covers the area where the remains were found, declined comment on whether it would handle any prosecution in her death. Prosecutors for the 11th District Attorney's Office, which covers the area where Morphew lived with her husband and which had prosecuted Barry Morphew before dropping the charges against him, declined comment.
Barry Morphew's attorney urged officials to find Suzanne Morphew's killer and admit it wasn't the husband.
"We hope the authorities will quickly admit their wrongful persecution of Barry, an innocent man, to treat the Morphew's like the victims they are, and charge the person(s) responsible for Suzanne's killing," the attorney's statement said.
Brown reported from Billings.
Her brother makes it about Suzanne and her spirit and smile.

Barry and Iris as always make it all about Barry. This was your WIFE of years. Now found. Dead. She can now or at some point have a resting spot and you don't say a thing about ANY of that. I'd think a GOOD attorney would even advise it.

No surprise though, it is the way he and the girls have always been, it isn't about Suzanne, it's all about Barry.

Her brother makes it about Suzanne and her spirit and smile.

Barry and Iris as always make it all about Barry. This was your WIFE of years. Now found. Dead. She can now or at some point have a resting spot and you don't say a thing about ANY of that. I'd think a GOOD attorney would even advise it.

No surprise though, it is the way he and the girls have always been, it isn't about Suzanne, it's all about Barry.

It appears to me that the dude had nothing to do with it. How he's reacting after being jailed and charged with his wife's murder, which it appears he didn't commit, isn't anyone's to judge. How would you respond? I don't know for myself.

The prosecution kept exculpatory evidence to themselves. It looks like he was going to be railroaded.

It appears to me that the dude had nothing to do with it. How he's reacting after being jailed and charged with his wife's murder, which it appears he didn't commit, isn't anyone's to judge. How would you respond? I don't know for myself.

The prosecution kept exculpatory evidence to themselves. It looks like he was going to be railroaded.
I entirely disagree and the lies by the defense should be illegal.

Not for a moment do I believe he had nothing to do with it.

It could have easily been planted by Barry or the person works somewhere where they had entry to her vehicle (car repair, valet, etc). Barry's actions are the ones that can't be explained as innocent to me.

The rapist knows Barry and Barry got his DNA? I just can't get past the DNA. To me, there is no logical explanation other than he was in her car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eric
Back
Top Bottom