JOSHUA "JJ" VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN, TAMMY DAYBELL, & CHARLES VALLOW: State of Idaho/Arizona vs. Lori & Chad Daybell *GUILTY*

1580704661510.png

Police seem to be no closer to finding 7-year-old Joshua “JJ” Vallow and 17-year-old Tylee Ryan than they were when this story began months ago.

Since that time, the story has gained international attention as it’s taken twists and turns involving a purported cult, dead spouses, delusions of divinity and preparing for the end of the world. Despite all the angles, and the ever-growing number of people related to the case, the facts remain essentially the same as when it was first announced.

The two children remain missing and the parents, Lori (Vallow) Daybell, and her new husband, Chad Daybell, refuse to disclose their whereabouts to police. Both have been named persons of interest in the disappearance of the children. Law enforcement is also investigating the deaths of the Daybells’ previous respective spouses, Charles Vallow and Tammy Daybell, though neither Chad nor Lori have been named suspects in those cases.

Written timeline of events
  • April 3, 2018 - Tylee Ryan's father, Joseph Ryan, dies. Death ruled heart attack.
  • December 2018 - Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow make first appearance on Preparing a People podcast.
  • February 2019 - Charles Vallow files for divorce from Lori, claiming she viewed herself as a god preparing for the second coming, and she would kill him if he got in her way.
  • February - April 2019 - Lori disappears for nearly two months, leaving her children with others.
  • June 2019 - Lori's niece demands a divorce from her husband, who says she shares similar beliefs to her aunt.
  • July 11, 2019 - Charles Vallow shot and killed by Lori's brother Alex Cox. Shooting initially ruled self-defense.
  • August 2019 - Lori moves to Rexburg, Idaho with kids
  • September 3, 2019 - Joshua "JJ" Vallow enrolled in school
  • September 23, 2019 - JJ last attended school
  • September 24, 2019 - Lori unenrolls JJ from school, saying she would be homeschooling him.
  • September 2019 - Tylee also seen in September, but it's unclear when and where (she had graduated early)
  • October 2, 2019 - Lori's niece's ex-husband was shot at, missing his head by inches. Shooter was driving a vehicle registered to Charles Vallow.
  • October 9, 2019 - Tammy Daybell, Chad's wife, called 911 and said a masked man shot at her with a paintball gun.
  • October 19, 2019 - Tammy Daybell dies, death is ruled natural
  • October 25, 2019 - Tylee, or someone using her phone, texts a friend
  • Late October / Early November 2019 - Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow get married
  • November 26, 2019 - Welfare check requested for JJ at the request of extended family - police are told he is in Arizona with family, but he is not
  • November 27, 2019 - Police return to serve a search warrant, finding the Daybell's gone
  • December 12, 2019 - Lori's brother, who had shot her ex-husband, dies mysteriously in Arizona
  • December 20, 2019 - Search for JJ and Tylee goes public
  • December 30, 2019 - LE says Lori knows where her children are but will not cooperate
  • January 25, 2020 - Chad & Lori are located in Hawaii, served with a notice that she must produce the children within 5 days
  • January 30, 2020 - Lori fails to produce JJ and Tylee

1580705763474.png

edited by staff to add new media link

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is Megan? My mind is a blank ATM.
She's Lori's cousin. She's been on a few other people's show, well one for sure, about Lori, etc. She has her own channel now. The show I watched was going into the bigger group they were part of and the bigger "church" and all the people who well DID know them, etc.

She quit the LDS for good. She does however have all the information on LDS as she was raised in it, but she is talking more of that church they formed or were part of. She talks of Jason Mow and a lot of other names.

She wouldn't have a claim because it was signed over to John Prior. It was actually John Prior's property, legally. That was how he got paid. The value of the property was applied to his services. If I recall, he asked towards the end to be court appointed because the value of his billing had exceeded the value of the property.
Nate said someone is on it WITH John Prior. He said in a show that John Prior owned it and the other person I believe called upset and straightened him out. he did not share who it was.

I don't know why it would bother anyone he said that unless it was Emma Daybell OR Lori OR Chad, no idea.

But supposedly he is not the only owner...

Also maybe they contacted him by email, I have no idea how they contacted him but they DID. So he did a correction on his next show.

My first thought is the church is buying it but I really don't know what to think about it. I mean Lori hasn't even had her trial yet and wouldnt she have a claim on it as she is Chad's wife?

Any way we can find out who bought it?
Deeds are public record here, almost everything a Register of Deeds has is public. You may have to fill something out to request a copy and pay a fee but you can get such. I'm pretty sure it is probably the same in almost all states.

Not if it wasn't in her name at all and he signed it over to somebody else. That's how it works in my state, anyway. Not sure if it works the same way there.
The public can get the information. Sure can here.

Prior was not the sole owner. See above.

Plus, she would be just certain that they wouldn't lose and be convicted to start with.

My state is a 50/50 state on things recorded in both names, but one can still hold real and personal property individually. It would take a court action for the spouse to be able to redo it. It also has to go to probate if the unlisted spouse dies.
Strange though that she has a public defender but he didn't. I think that is how it was anyway, even though they were married.

Plus, she would be just certain that they wouldn't lose and be convicted to start with.

My state is a 50/50 state on things recorded in both names, but one can still hold real and personal property individually. It would take a court action for the spouse to be able to redo it. It also has to go to probate if the unlisted spouse dies.
We are a oommunity property state, 50/50. Certain things are not shared, for instance and inheritance is solely yours but IF you mix it with marital assets, that is no longer the case.

A personal injury settlement is the same.

Most though is 50/50. Also my state notifies the other spouse if credit is applied for, a mortgage and so on. And the bank insisted we both be on any mortgage, we took a few over the marriage with different homes.

They weren't married in Idaho either, they were married in Hawaii and who knows what residence address they were using at one point of time. But it would be where each has residency when divorcing. If Chad put Lori on this home regardless, Chad nor Prior can do anything unless she signed off.

They were so busy and arrested not long after it is doubtful in my opinion he added her but she could fight for it if community property. I just looked it up and Idaho IS a community property state and so she'd have rights.

Oh boy...

She may be in AZ now but I'd say their permanent address is ID prisons...

Same reason here. She's a nut. A fraud. I haven't finished it. Just ran into the other day, I still had it up with maybe thinking I could go back at some point because I do like to learn all re a case but I couldn't.

Annie's are very long and drawn out. I have watched all though. This last one, not, I ran into it at the tail end of it. I may or may not.

I watched one of Megan's the other night, first time I came across her channel. It too was long. I stuck it out though. Sometimes it is a bit odd to me that so many various connected family members have started channels about the case. TONS actually. I don't dwell on the thought but most were not the most directly affected even though it is a huge interest big awful case.

You know, Chad and Lori and Mel G and people they knew, all are about authoring and podcasts, etc... And now we have how many family members doing exactly such too... Just something to think about, I haven't had time to really think on it but it is a thing in the LDS, I'm sorry, but we see it over and over. As Megan said, there are approved jobs they tell you you can do, and those you can't, etc...

Colby. Rex and Adam. Megan. Annie. There are others I draw blanks on right now.

Even so, I am interested in all info but yes some are hard to watch or stick out. I haven't watched Rex and Adam in quite awhile. They don't pop up for me and honestly they don't know anything more in any I've seen than is already out there imo.

But Nate's interview with Julie Rowe was very hard to digest and very easy to stop watching. She was sending me over the edge in minutes.

I will be interested to see if @Tresir makes it through and sticks it out and what her opinion is. Lol.
I made it to the 20 minute mark and gave up at the point she was describing visions as seeing in your mind or in front of you or on top of your head. I dragged to see how long it is and it is 1 hour 9 minutes, so forget it.

So she stopped with her vision books when they didn't sell too well. And just did podcast books, as she called them. She also married since this interview and goes by the surname Barnet now. Looks like she has re-released a lot of her books in her new name. Rebranding herself.

Last edited:
I read that the property sale is going thru in September so we should be able to see who sold and bought it after that right?
Yep.

Well, that depends. I've been trying to chase them down via other sources and no luck so far. The website is new and tracing it isn't working. They're using proxy sites for privacy.

Last edited:

I was just double checking on Utah. It looks like an equitable property state. Chad's property would most likely be considered his sole possession since they hadn't been married long at all when he signed it over to Prior.

I read that the property sale is going thru in September so we should be able to see who sold and bought it after that right?
We should. Most places have that info public. It might not be online though and need a personal trip to the recorders office to get a copy, depending on if that area has online records or not.

I am also wondering if Tammy was on the deeds and as he has been convicted of murdering her, he shouldn't have the benefit of her half anyway. I guess the kids should get that. Also, surely there is/was a mortgage on it too?

Complicated it seems to me. Mortgage company should have first dibs. Plus Tammy's life insurance would be wanting their money back, so i cannot see that Prior would get very much at the end of the day. Perhaps that's why his bit ran out quite quickly and he asked to be paid by the state.

And he put in an appeal didn't he, if I remember correct?

Here is the appeal. Filed 3 June.

BOISE, Idaho — A jury of 12 convicted Chad Daybell on all 8 counts, including first-degree murder for the deaths of Tylee Ryan, JJ Vallow, and Tammy Daybell on May 30, 2024. Daybell was given the death sentence just two days later. Now, defense attorney John Prior has filed an appeal asking the Idaho Supreme Court to examine the verdict and death sentence.

RELATED | Chad Daybell found guilty on all counts in murder trial

In the notice of appeal, filed Monday, June 3, Prior asks the Idaho Supreme Court to consider the following questions:

• Did the court err in not granting Daybell’s motion to dismiss the grand jury indictment in the case?
  • Did the court err in ruling Dr. Davidson’s report and testimony would be inadmissible in the case?
  • Did the court err in allowing the prosecution to amend their indictment after they rested?
  • Did the court err in denying the defense’s motion to dismiss the case?
  • Did the court err in providing to the jury the most current jury instruction of reasonable doubt at the guilt stage?
  • Did the court err in providing the jury the most currently instruction of reasonable doubt at the sentencing phase?
Prior also filed a separate motion, requesting that a state defense attorney be appointed to represent Chad Daybell and assist in seeking appellate relief.
The full text of the notice of appeal from Prior is available here.
Just bringing forward the appeal details as a reminder.

I made it to the 20 minute mark and gave up at the point she was describing visions as seeing in your mind or in front of you or on top of your head. I dragged to see how long it is and it is 1 hour 9 minutes, so forget it.

So she stopped with her vision books when they didn't sell too well. And just did podcast books, as she called them. She also married since this interview and goes by the surname Barnet now. Looks like she has re-released a lot of her books in her new name. Rebranding herself.
I'm not surprised lol, it is intolerable isn't it? She is so awful. Such a lying fruitcake.

I thought I made it at least that far but the things you are saying I don't recall so maybe not quite to the 20 minute mark.

I feel like I sat through an hour because it was so much hard to listen to but maybe it was like 15 minutes or even 10. I found it very hard to listen to.

And to think I awaited it and thought it would be interesting. Lol.

It is I guess, in its way, as to how people like this talk, IF ONE can take it. No one so far has been able to.

I am also wondering if Tammy was on the deeds and as he has been convicted of murdering her, he shouldn't have the benefit of her half anyway. I guess the kids should get that. Also, surely there is/was a mortgage on it too?

Complicated it seems to me. Mortgage company should have first dibs. Plus Tammy's life insurance would be wanting their money back, so i cannot see that Prior would get very much at the end of the day. Perhaps that's why his bit ran out quite quickly and he asked to be paid by the state.

And he put in an appeal didn't he, if I remember correct?
Mortgage company will have first dibs because it can't be retitled without all liens being taken care of. The seller gets the difference in proceeds.

I would think so. It would take probably calling and then sending a written request to he Register of Deeds. with a check. Used to be about $14 here, not sure any longer or what it would cost there.
Usually in my experience you can't access such online in most states and counties.

I honestly don't expect it to be anyone we know but someone doing a nice thing. I mean I GUESS it could be someone like Kay and Larry or Brandon, all of which have some major money but again personally I wouldn't want Chad's place if I were a victim family member but then all are different, maybe they rather it be razed and turned into something else. Not m cup of tea but I can see for some the reasoning they might put behind it. I personally consider it a place of evil and where awful things occurred even IF you change it. I'd want their burital or final resting place to be the place of peace, not there. Jmo though.

I was just double checking on Utah. It looks like an equitable property state. Chad's property would most likely be considered his sole possession since they hadn't been married long at all when he signed it over to Prior.
What does Utah have to do with it. It is in ID as are they (or will be at prison time for Lori).

We should. Most places have that info public. It might not be online though and need a personal trip to the recorders office to get a copy, depending on if that area has online records or not.
Usually you can mail for things like deeds, birth certificates, death certificates, etc. They need a written request and payment. Maybe a form filled out. Very few are online with this kind of thing the last I knew.

I used to work in a job we requested a lot of this kind of thing.

And so thankfully, no one would have to do a personal trip to the ID courthouse.

Personally I don't expect it to be anyone we know of.

But I sure could be wrong.

Kay and Larry or Brandon cross the mind if someone known who just wants it changed.

Nate and ID News crossed the mind but doubtful.

If not any of the above, it is just some soul with the money to do such and/or that will write it off or do a non profit thing with it/benefactor.

For me, I seriously doubt it is the church. They want to be as disconnected from this as possible. Jmo though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom