LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are some more filings/updates on the Superior Court cases. Gotta run to work but I will check them out tonight if I can.

Hint, hint. ;)
I found this so far.

On Thursday, lawyers arguing the Indiana Supreme Court case filed a response and disagreed with both Rokita and Gull’s reasoning.
“This writ is the only remedy,” the lawyers wrote in their response to the Indiana Supreme Court. “An appeal is inadequate.”
Allen’s attorneys argued that Allen seeks a speedy trial to be held in January — his original trial date — and wishes Baldwin and Rozzi to represent him. The attorneys argued a writ and a decision from the Indiana Supreme Court is the only way to pursue this outcome, not an appeal, since a direct appeal would mean going to trial first. Currently, Gull has moved the trial to October 2024.
The removal of Rozzi and Baldwin was also called “unlawful” by the lawyers who argued that Gull had an “absolute duty to refrain from severing the attorney-client relationship.” The lawyers cited only two situations where a trial court can remove an attorney the client wishes to have represent them: when the attorney isn’t a member of the state bar or when the attorney has a conflict of interest.
Gull and Rokita previously argued that a court is within its right to remove attorneys from representing a defendant if the attorneys are found to be grossly incompetent and compromising the defense. In removing Rozzi and Baldwin, Gull even argued she was assisting Allen by ensuring he had competent representation.

‘Don’t think I have a choice’: Docs show judge in Delphi murders case wanted defense removed prior to withdrawal
Rokita also previously argued in his response that Rozzi and Baldwin could have a conflict of interest with the case, another example that could cause them to be removed. Rokita cited the investigation into the leak as a potential conflict of interest.
Allen’s attorneys said Gull acted on “subjective opinion” in removing Rozzi and Baldwin, however. Pointing to the evidence leak from Baldwin’s office, the attorneys said Baldwin was a victim of a crime and said these events “in no way affected the quality of representation Attorneys Baldwin and Rozzi provided.”
The attorneys also argued that the evidence leak “did not disrupt their trial strategy.” But transcripts from an October hearing with Gull, Rozzi and Baldwin and Prosecutor Nicolas McLeland revealed how the prosecutor lamented the fact that he’d spent 17 days investigating the leak instead of preparing for the murder trial.  In conclusion, Allen’s attorneys continued to push that a writ was the proper legal avenue for their petition since it is the only way for Baldwin and Rozzi to be reinstated in time to hold Allen’s trial within 70 days of the writ filing, instead of the trial moving to October 2024. The Indiana Supreme Court has not yet filed a decision on the matter.

Last edited:
So from one correctional facility to another. Not to county.

Where is the rest of it?

I'm actually not going to jump on this one. Idiots out there may but they are actually pretty quiet since the AG and Gull responded.

So the DOC did as ordered by the Court. And it's signed by the AG Rokita.

Interesting...

I have some thoughts but I'll hold them for now as this doesn't explain a thing. Not transferred though to any county, just from one correctional institute to another...

Sullivan Co. IN. Opened in 1992. They have a special needs unit for the mentally ill. Capacity a little over 2,000 in the overall facility. Wiki info on it is weird. And little info.

Of course the prison has a website. Interesting it opened in '92 but was finished in '97.

Again emphasis on SNAP, special needs "acclimation" program.

@Tresir I think the article you found condenses the 12/1 filing

12/01/2023
Order Issued
Being duly advised, the Court GRANTS the "Relators' Motion for Leave to File Response to Respondent's and Attorney General's Objections." The Clerk is instructed to file the "Relator's Response to Respondent's and Attorney General's Objections" as of the date of this order.
Judicial Officer:
Rush, Loretta H.
Serve:
Wieneke, Cara Schaefer
Serve:
Rokita, Theodore Edward
Serve:
Trial Clerk 08 - Carroll
Serve:
Leeman, Mark Kelly
Serve:
Sanchez, Angela
Serve:
Corley, Bernice Angenett Nickole
Serve:
Schumm, Joel M.
Serve:
Stake, Christopher S.
Serve:
Gutwein, Matthew R
Serve:
Kobe, Andrew Anton
File Stamp:
12/01/2023
12/01/2023Document Transmitted

12/01/2023
Response
(Brief in Response to Respondent's and Attorney General's Objections) Certificate of Service- Electronically Served 11/30/23
Attorney:
Wieneke, Cara Schaefer
Attorney:
Leeman, Mark Kelly
Party:
Allen, Richard M.
File Stamp:
12/01/2023

So it was dated and filed and time stamped? That's the norm.

This is just confirmation of an order to grant right to response, the fact it was received and filed, and then a response is filed, isn't it?

What other info is in it. I clicked the two highlighted words and they don't lead anywhere.

How did her article condense it, it actually had more info on what was said in the doc filed, this record is just a filing record with no other info.

No offense in reverse that this is condensed and just a notice of entry on the record with not a bit of other info as to what was in the doc/s.

Lost. No surprise though. I often am, I will say it and blame self.

The relator's stuff got filed. Okay...

Her article shared some of what was in it, etc.

When was the last time a high profile suspect in Indiana (convicted of nothing) was not only sequestered in a state prison but then whisked to a different state prison?

Judge Gull wouldn't move him out of Westville. So who ordered this and why?
Good question isn't it? And it seems Gull isn't the only one who doesn't share on the docket or explain to the public because where are the answers on this one?

However, we all have seen prisoners moved from one prison to another and they don't have to give us a lot of explanation. Watts. Patterson. Usually for their own safety. I get that Allen is not convicted yet BUT I still am of the belief he would not be safe in county. It may even just be that they have more to help with mental health or some such, hard to say and he has had some new crisis.

This is though by the DOC signed by your AG right?

Some kind of sh*t is going on.

For the State AG who some claimed was not supporting or anti the judge to do this is interesting. To read it though, it is the decision of DOC?

And again it is further away from Delphi than where he was. I did google that and look into it some.

Something necessitated this it would seem. Most likely answer. Mental health, he made friends with an employee or his attys did who were doing something wrong, he was attacked, who knows... Maybe it is just about number of beds and need for beds.

is this closer to his NEW attorneys or are they all from the same area I can't recall exactly?

Don't take me wrong but you know OF the State and Old D etc. and probably new D better than the rest of us and your AG and more. So what is it you are hearing or think?

iIf Allen was attacked and hurt it would seem to me he would be going to hospital and not a new prison.

Yeah I can't disagree with ya that this is a bit unheard of. Transferring an unconvicted man from one IN prison to another...

Well I've seen no one to speak of covering this or any further info. Of course it is the weekend. As I said too all the ones going nuts and overboard for weeks on end kind of quit since responses were filed and now silence on this too. I haven't specifically searched for it but haven't on refresh of my stuff come across a single show even telling of it. Allen's move I mean. Or really any of the last few events in this case. But NONE about this.

Maybe Gray or someone has one (didn't check) but I can't do his 4 hour videos where one doesn't even know when the case might be talked of amognst all the other stuff in them. Not a knock, just saying he may be one that has something but I haven't checked.

With his move it also may just be there isn't much info but none have even covered the bit there.

Once I looked at it more, it seemed to be this is all up to the DOC or mostly and then the AG signed off?

it is unusual in that this is a prison to prison transfer and he hasn't been convicted BUT such moves and even between counties when incarcerated in one county and them moved usually end up with little to no info shared other than the move being picked up on by press, etc. in the records.

Patterson was moved counties with no real explanation while awaiting trial. He also was moved prisons after starting out after sentencing in a WI prison and I think got moved to like New Mexico or somewhere in that neck of the woods. And I think even then afterwards there was a fight between him and another inmate... Haven't heard much of a word about it all since or if he was then moved again or not. As far as I know he is still there. That just shows though reasons aren't always shared and news also loses interest and doesn't keep checking.

Anyhow this one is nowhere near old or lacking interest nor even near trial yet. So where's the news on it? Hard for me to believe all learned their lesson, didn't stop them from jumping on one ship with all of this other stuff the last weeks.

This article has a copy of the order. I notice this does not have the old attorneys on it, just the new ones.

Perhaps they just want to move him further away from the old attorneys? In fact, the more I think of it that is what this is. He is now at a new facility and the old lawyers have no access, by order of the AG Todd Rhokita.

Sorry this is not the link that has the order so I'll try and find it again.

Ok this link above keeps coming up instead so I will just copy paste the correct article for you all.

If you want to find the actual article search for this -

wrtv richard allen moved

Delphi murder suspect moved to different prison, records show​

MicrosoftTeams-image (18).png

WRTV

By: WRTV.com Staff
Posted at 10:35 AM, Dec 07, 2023
and last updated 2023-12-07 10:44:27-05

DELPHI — The man accused of murder in the deaths of two teen girls in Delphi has been moved to another prison for his safety, court records show.

Richard M. Allen was transferred to Wabash Valley Correctional Facility on Wednesday, according to a notice to the court filed Thursday by Attorney General Todd Rokita.

Allen was being held at the Westville Correctional Facility, according to records. He has been charged with the 2017 murders of Libby German and Abby Williams.
Allen's trial is scheduled for October 2024.

Provided below is the notice to the court regarding Allen's transfer.

(Will post screenshots.)

Screenshot_20231210-184220_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231210-184303_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231210-184235_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom