LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You can read the defense's full release below.

PRESS RELEASE

As Richard (Rick) Allen’s attorneys, we have received multiple requests from local and national media for interviews and comment since the unsealing of the probable cause affidavit. It would be virtually impossible to comply with these requests and continue to focus on the merits of Rick’s defense. Therefore, we offer up these thoughts:

We do not want to try this case in the media and we intend to adhere to the Indiana Rules of Professional Conduct that provide guidance on pretrial publicity. However, the police and prosecutor’s office have conducted many press conferences over the five-plus years of this investigation and following our client’s arrest. On the other hand, Rick’s ability to assert his innocence has been reduced to only one short, post-hearing press conference. Accordingly, we feel it appropriate, necessary, and within the bounds of our rules of professional conduct to make a few comments concerning the probable cause affidavit and Rick’s innocence.

• Rick is a 50-year-old man who has never been arrested nor accused of any crime in his entire life. He is innocent and completely confused as to why he has been charged with these crimes.
  • The police did not contact Rick after Libby German and Abby Williams went missing, rather Rick contacted the police and voluntarily discussed being on the trail that day. Like many people in Delphi, Rick wanted to help any way he could. Rick contacted the police to let them know that he had walked on the trail that day, as he often did. Without Rick coming forward, the police probably would not have had any way of knowing that he was on the trail that day.
  • Rick volunteered to meet with a Conservation Officer outside of the local grocery store to offer up details of his trip to the trail on the day in question. Rick tried to assist with the investigation and told the police that he did recall seeing three younger girls on the trail that day. His contact with the girls was brief and of little significance. Rick does not recall if this interaction with the Conservation Officer was tape-recorded but believes that the Conservation Officer scribbled notes on a notepad as Rick spoke to him.
  • After Rick shared his information with law enforcement officials, he went back to his job at the local CVS and didn’t hear from the police for more than 5 years.
  • The next time Rick heard from the police was in October, 2022. This was approximately two weeks before a contested Sheriff’s election and within days of a federal lawsuit filed against the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office by its former second-in-command, Michael Thomas.
  • In the lawsuit, Thomas claims that he (Thomas) “had made suggestions and offered assistance in the investigation of a high-profile child homicide investigation” but those suggestions and offers were rejected by the Sheriff. Thomas further claimed that the Sheriff and others in the department feared the disagreements with Thomas would become publicized as a result of the political campaign for Sheriff.
  • Thomas claims in the suit that he was ultimately demoted and replaced by Tony Liggett, who later that year won the 2022 election for Sheriff. Furthermore, Thomas claims he was also removed from high profile cases.
  • Rick was ultimately arrested on or about October 28, 2022.
  • In the 5+ years since Rick volunteered to provide information to the police, Rick did not get rid of his vehicle or his guns and did not throw out his clothing. He did not alter his appearance; he did not relocate himself to another community. He did what any innocent man would do and continued with his normal routine.
  • The probable cause affidavit seems to suggest that a single magic bullet is proof of Rick’s guilt. It is a bit premature to engage in any detailed discussions regarding the veracity of this evidence until more discovery is received, but it is safe to say that the discipline of tool-mark identification (ballistics) is anything but a science. The entire discipline has been under attack in courtrooms across this country as being unreliable and lacking any scientific validity. We anticipate a vigorous legal and factual challenge to any claims by the prosecution as to the reliability of its conclusions concerning the single magic bullet.
  • On Rick’s behalf, we argued to have the PCA unsealed. Rick has nothing to hide. As importantly, we were hoping that we would receive tips that would assist us in proving up his innocence. Not surprisingly, we have been inundated with tips from a variety of sources, all of which will be vetted by our team. Although it is the burden of the prosecutor to prove Rick’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, the defense team looks forward to conducting its own investigation concerning Rick’s innocence. We appreciate those that have reached out to support his cause.
  • The prosecutor mentioned, at the last hearing, his belief that others may have been involved in the killing, yet there was no mention in the PCA about a second suspect involved in the killing. The defense is confused by such discrepancies in the investigation and will be in a better position to respond as more discovery is received.
  • Rick Allen owned a Ford Focus in February of 2017. His Ford Focus is not, in any way, similar to the distinctive look of the PT Cruiser or Smart Car that was described by the witnesses. It seems that the CCSD is trying to bend facts to fit their narrative.
  • At this point in time, we have received very limited information about this case and look forward to having something more to view than that which was offered up in the sparse PCA.
Moving forward, it is our intent to scrutinize the discovery, as it is received, and give the necessary attention to the volumes of tips that we are receiving. To the extent we continue to discover information that points to Rick’s innocence, we will offer up this information to the public, so long as we are not prohibited from doing so as a result of the recent request by the Prosecutor for a gag order or by the Indiana Rules of Professional Conduct.

Brad Rozzi

Hillis, Hillis, Rozzi and Dean

Andrew J. Baldwin

Baldwin Perry & Kamish, P.C.

I've heard for years that this is not reliable... From his lawyers...

The probable cause affidavit seems to suggest that a single magic bullet is proof of Rick’s guilt. It is a bit premature to engage in any detailed discussions regarding the veracity of this evidence until more discovery is received, but it is safe to say that the discipline of tool-mark identification (ballistics) is anything but a science. The entire discipline has been under attack in courtrooms across this country as being unreliable and lacking any scientific validity. We anticipate a vigorous legal and factual challenge to any claims by the prosecution as to the reliability of its conclusions concerning the single magic bullet.

I realize there are other pieces of evidence and I'm hoping they have a whole lot more but I feel this case has been a mess from the very beginning.

I have to admit I had this exact same thought when this was first reported:

The attorneys also argue that Allen’s Ford Focus does not match the witness accounts of a PT Cruiser or Smart Car seen in the area.

“Rick Allen owned a Ford Focus in February of 2017. His Ford Focus is not, in any way, similar to the distinctive look of the PT Cruiser or Smart Car that was described by the witnesses,” they said. “It seems that the CCSD is trying to bend facts to fit their narrative.”

I've heard for years that this is not reliable... From his lawyers...

The probable cause affidavit seems to suggest that a single magic bullet is proof of Rick’s guilt. It is a bit premature to engage in any detailed discussions regarding the veracity of this evidence until more discovery is received, but it is safe to say that the discipline of tool-mark identification (ballistics) is anything but a science. The entire discipline has been under attack in courtrooms across this country as being unreliable and lacking any scientific validity. We anticipate a vigorous legal and factual challenge to any claims by the prosecution as to the reliability of its conclusions concerning the single magic bullet.

I realize there are other pieces of evidence and I'm hoping they have a whole lot more but I feel this case has been a mess from the very beginning.

Again I think the bullet is flimsy. Did they find a box of ammunition that matched the bullet found? Were any bullets fired that they can match the bullet patterns to a test fire of the gun?

I have to admit I had this exact same thought when this was first reported:

The attorneys also argue that Allen’s Ford Focus does not match the witness accounts of a PT Cruiser or Smart Car seen in the area.

“Rick Allen owned a Ford Focus in February of 2017. His Ford Focus is not, in any way, similar to the distinctive look of the PT Cruiser or Smart Car that was described by the witnesses,” they said. “It seems that the CCSD is trying to bend facts to fit their narrative.”

Assuming Allen owned a Ford Focus I'll give the witness' benefit of the doubt if he owned a Ford Focus three door. A Ford Focus Sedan wouldn't look anything like those two.

I owned a ZX3 Ford Focus. It was a three door, and it appears they didn't make it past 2008 or so. I'll compare the ZX3 hatchback to a Smart Car and PT Cruiser. If he owned a Ford Focus sedan, then there is no comparison.

Ford Focus ZX3:

165433d1457401619-new-me-2007-ford-focus-zx3-ses-2-0-svt-upgrades-what-next-20160307_151957[1].jpg

Smart Car:

smart-2959343_1280.jpg

PT Cruiser:

PT-1.jpg

Ford Focus Sedan Hatchback:

4beed23a6193a0b3ada67725dcd1c9fb.jpg

Well, I've been a little lost for words pretty much ever since the announcement of the arrest. And now I learn what LE had all along and it's all this time later that they make an arrest... That there was some sort of a clerical error doesn't cut it and I don't mean that I think it's merely a lame excuse, I mean that I don't believe it!

Again I think the bullet is flimsy. Did they find a box of ammunition that matched the bullet found? Were any bullets fired that they can match the bullet patterns to a test fire of the gun?
It was ejector striations on the bullet. His Sig fires .40 caliber which is what was found on the scene. The bullet wasn't fired, it was ejected. They matched the ejector marks.

Yes. His gun is a .40 cal.

I mean, did they find bullets in his house that match the one found? That doesn't say they did. Just because the bullet fits a .40 caliber which is his guns type, it doesn't make it beyond reasonable doubt on that alone. If they found a box of ammunition that matched the brand at his house that would be a very strong piece of circumstantial evidence.

They did test and that is how they connected it. The bullet was unspent but ejected so it had some markings on it that evidently matched his Sig.

His car is seen on surveillance at the right times.

Witnesses say they saw him on the trail with clothing like what was in the pic and he owns clothing that matches the pic the girls took.

Other witnesses saw him walking on the roadway looking "bloody and muddy".

All of this is in the affidavit.

They did test and that is how they connected it. The bullet was unspent but ejected so it had some markings on it that evidently matched his Sig.

His car is seen on surveillance at the right times.

Witnesses say they saw him on the trail with clothing like what was in the pic and he owns clothing that matches the pic the girls took.

Other witnesses saw him walking on the roadway looking "bloody and muddy".

All of this is in the affidavit.

So there were spent bullets recovered from the scene? They were shot in addition to being stabbed to death? I hadn't heard that. The only match to his gun, as I understand it, is the strike mark on the bullet that was ejected. I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, but a lot of this seems hinky. I guess we'll know a lot more when they release all of the data they've collected after arresting the accomplice(s).

The car match sounds like a reach to me as well.

Clerical error.
Yeah people are only human no doubt and mistakes can happen. Nothing that can be done to change it now.

But I wonder if we are even hearing the truth of how it happened or what happened. Doesn't seem to add up to me. Don't they keep a physical file too with a hard copy of all and the interviewer's notes, etc.? This is a pretty big case to not keep on top of all evidence and tips and keep one's ducks in a row on the case so to speak. And aren't things reviewed more often than every five years? How is it it came to be found now? But not last year? Or the year before? I still think possibly something else tipped them to Allen and at that point someone said well yeah, he was there that day you know/remember...? And THEN someone went "what??"... How is it the entire town did not know he was there that day AND LE? Something just doesn't gel.

And it isn't only that. His car is on the videos. There was only one man there that day that everyone saw and they had one man come forward. And his car was there. Are we being told they knew of one man people saw but did not know they had ONE man that placed himself there AND his car was there AND more? It almost belies belief. Did none talk of this case, the agents, DNR guy, all who assisted? At the time and through the years sitting down about it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom