LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Old article however important (BBM)

We’ve since learned that investigators actually interviewed Allen in 2017. He told them he’d been on Monon High Bridge and the Freedom Bridge between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on the day of the murders. The timing matched the window in which the girls died.

It appears that information had been essentially lost.

Both an investigative source and The Murder Sheet Podcast said the 2017 interview with Allen was overlooked due to a “clerical error.”

Someone mislabeled or misfiled tip information in the system, which means it didn’t show up in the correct location during a data search. The FBI says its review of the matter showed that FBI employees correctly followed established procedures.

Old article however important (BBM)

We’ve since learned that investigators actually interviewed Allen in 2017. He told them he’d been on Monon High Bridge and the Freedom Bridge between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on the day of the murders. The timing matched the window in which the girls died.

It appears that information had been essentially lost.

Both an investigative source and The Murder Sheet Podcast said the 2017 interview with Allen was overlooked due to a “clerical error.”

Someone mislabeled or misfiled tip information in the system, which means it didn’t show up in the correct location during a data search. The FBI says its review of the matter showed that FBI employees correctly followed established procedures.
It makes me wonder if it really was. Or deliberately destroyed. I hate to think that. But I thought the days of mishandling case files and evidence was a thing of the past. That there have been so many f ups that they learned their lesson.

When things like this happen, BIG screw ups in a case that should have been pored over a million times in attempts to solve it, people can't help but wonder if it was intentional, the perp knows someone, has an in, someone lost it for them "on purpose" or are involved in it.

The F B I claims their employees followed proper procedures so are they saying the mistake is on the local LE? And again, if so, WHO and did Allen know them?

That brings one back to thoughts of like the pedo ring.

Whether intentional or an authentic mistake, it was a HUGE one.

It didn't show up during a "data search". So are they saying they search for this case's files on a computer and this isn't good enough explanation. How then was it found?
I think they owe people a far clearer explanation than this vague sh*t they keep saying.

When things like this happen, BIG screw ups in a case that should have been pored over a million times in attempts to solve it, people can't help but wonder if it was intentional, the perp knows someone, has an in, someone lost it for them "on purpose" or are involved in it.

The F B I claims their employees followed proper procedures so are they saying the mistake is on the local LE? And again, if so, WHO and did Allen know them?

That brings one back to thoughts of like the pedo ring.

Whether intentional or an authentic mistake, it was a HUGE one.

It didn't show up during a "data search". So are they saying they search for this case's files on a computer and this isn't good enough explanation. How then was it found?
I think they owe people a far clearer explanation than this vague sh*t they keep saying.
So who interviewed him? Why don't they tell us?

So who interviewed him? Why don't they tell us?
EXACTLY. It's like the LISK thing too. It is just "the former administration and all those people are long gone" and that's the end of it. I don't think so. And I don't think it should be. I can see making THIS arrest the point at the moment but no, all the other has not be satisfactorily handled and concluded with real answers.

So SOMEONE interviewed Allen and where is he and who is he/or she? Why didn't they pipe up through the years and say well you know there was that ONE guy who admitted being there and what ever happened to my notes and interview with him and what resulted on follow up investigation to that interview?

I don't know if we are there yet but internet and sites etc. are making more and more impact of NO you don't provide no answers, not acceptable and keeping focus on such things. It still isn't there, they wait for things to die down and not be asked. Like CPS in the West case in California. Etc. Like the woman in the Fort (was it Hood) case, name escapes me right now whose family kept at it and at it. Oh Vanessa something. I know, just can't come up with it right now.

If there is nothing going on wrong, then SHOW IT ALL or answer satisfactorily. If you don't, of course there is something up and wrong. Duh. And of course people will be suspicious then. We all can name case after case.

WHO interviewed Allen?

OR who did Allen go into if that is the way it was?

Or who made sure they were the one to interview Allen?

Or this or that, I can go on...

What did they do with the interview and was it recorded? How was it lost? Who did they advise? Etc., etc., etc.

EXACTLY. It's like the LISK thing too. It is just "the former administration and all those people are long gone" and that's the end of it. I don't think so. And I don't think it should be. I can see making THIS arrest the point at the moment but no, all the other has not be satisfactorily handled and concluded with real answers.

So SOMEONE interviewed Allen and where is he and who is he/or she? Why didn't they pipe up through the years and say well you know there was that ONE guy who admitted being there and what ever happened to my notes and interview with him and what resulted on follow up investigation to that interview?

I don't know if we are there yet but internet and sites etc. are making more and more impact of NO you don't provide no answers, not acceptable and keeping focus on such things. It still isn't there, they wait for things to die down and not be asked. Like CPS in the West case in California. Etc. Like the woman in the Fort (was it Hood) case, name escapes me right now whose family kept at it and at it. Oh Vanessa something. I know, just can't come up with it right now.

If there is nothing going on wrong, then SHOW IT ALL or answer satisfactorily. If you don't, of course there is something up and wrong. Duh. And of course people will be suspicious then. We all can name case after case.

WHO interviewed Allen?

OR who did Allen go into if that is the way it was?

Or who made sure they were the one to interview Allen?

Or this or that, I can go on...

What did they do with the interview and was it recorded? How was it lost? Who did they advise? Etc., etc., etc.
It's not exactly like there were hundreds of people on the trails. Abby and Libby, 3 kids, a woman, plaid shirt guy, Cheyenne what's her name plus friend and BG (Allen). That's only ten people. And they may have lost one of the interviews? Something smells bad.

It's not exactly like there were hundreds of people on the trails. Abby and Libby, 3 kids, a woman, plaid shirt guy, Cheyenne what's her name plus friend and BG (Allen). That's only ten people. And they may have lost one of the interviews? Something smells bad.
Yeah and no men other than plaid shirt guy and Allen...

It does smell bad. You know in many cases, enough people think there is some conspiracy when there is none and it is almost a ridiculous way to think. One example would be how some always jump to sex trafficking. But then you get not all by a long shot but ENOUGH cases that have some "error" like this or evidence lost or someone in the department quietly resigns and/or the case seems bungled or isn't being investigated, and all sorts of other things and the hints are there for the possibilities of corruption, or payoff/bribe, of connections or involvement or something will become known of someone else or IS known by the offender (giving them power of someone in the agency for instance), And then out comes the spin control when it is discovered, it is an error, was overlooked, an internal problem, a computer glitch or who knows what excuse and the public is supposed to buy it and those same people and almost everyone else does buy it or eventually does because after all, investigators, etc. are human and do make mistakes right...?

I've had to accept it in many case and have, we all have as just another error, it's just a small local department we hear or say, etc. Mistakes happen. They're only human. But are you always okay with it because I'm not. Epstein would certainly be one example. Murdaugh another. Huge examples of people who did have power and influence though.

This one, what could it possibly be? Allen isn't anyone big. And it DOES smell. On top of it they don't name the person who interviewed him, give any detail really of how such could occur and this was a HUGE case where over years every stone should have been overturned and any file or notes etc. from any and all agencies poured over a kazillion times as each year they faced the public with no arrest nor break in the case...

As opposed to something's rotten in Denmark, it seems something is rotten in Delphi...

What?

Well apparently maybe a pedo ring, and an average man who did photo development. It could be so simple as a bribe or that whoever interviewed Allen was a "fishing" buddy... Surely they were recording all these interviews right? Somehow I doubt it in his case...

I don't know but I'll also say the other times in other cases we've all believed something was just bungled or evidence or something disappeared and we bought that, it likely wasn't the case in many...

Imo they OWE the public an explanation that MAKES SENSE and they have not given one.

I'm posting this as I am not sure it has been posted before. It is the judges decision on whether he can move facility. First he could move then the judge found more info that he was in the best place, so he has stayed there. Does anyone know when the next court dates are for Allen? He has been in jail now for nearly a year. (Arrest was October 2022.)

I'm posting this as I am not sure it has been posted before. It is the judges decision on whether he can move facility. First he could move then the judge found more info that he was in the best place, so he has stayed there. Does anyone know when the next court dates are for Allen? He has been in jail now for nearly a year. (Arrest was October 2022.)

I think it was posted--if not, I know I have seen it. I may have even linked it lol, can't recall.

Has it been almost a year already? Wow, doesn't seem like it.

I think it was posted--if not, I know I have seen it. I may have even linked it lol, can't recall.

Has it been almost a year already? Wow, doesn't seem like it.
It has and I couldn't believe it either. We are almost in September and he was arrested in October last year. I have also read today that KK is going to appeal his sentence but have not found an article with much detail so far.

That last article was not accessable for me to read in Europe so here as another that I can access and it includes the trial date of 8-24th January 2023. Just over four months time.

Judge will not order Richard Allen to be transferred, says evidence doesn't show he's being treated unfairly
If this trial goes off on time in a bit over a year since arrest, I'll be surprised.

I saw a recent video on this but don't think I caught all of it, I know I didn't actually. Tom Webster on YT. I think that's his name. He's likable but a bit different, his thought processes are a bit different than mine, I think he may have some autism or something. I am not offending, I believe he shared something like that in the beginning of his YT channel. The videos are generally long but he covers a lot and knows a lot. He has talked with or I believe had on or been on their show, that Murder whatever it is couple who got a bunch of the Kline info, etc. Anyhow he seems a good "kid". Younger adult, not sure of his age. He doesn't do it for money either.

Anyhow it seemed there may have been a recent hearing? I can't recall and again, I did not see it all and only half listened for a bit one night. One thing I do recall is he had info on Kline's sentencing and documents or the hearing, etc. that I hadn't heard before. And he ALSO knew who the guy was and/or his position that Allen talked to back after the murders happened. And it seems to me it was NOT a formal interview. I can't recall but it seemed like it was outside a store or something like that, like he ran into him or who knows... Not sure if that was the only interview but he ALSO said I believe this guy was on the stage or in the room at some of the annual press conferences, etc. He made the point of IF anyone thought he forgot about Allen being there, he was right there hearing all the stuff about we know you are close, probably live in Delphi, maybe are even in this room... So WHY would that not trigger him to ask whatever did you find out about Allen???? There were some good points.

Anyhow there would typically be a lot of motions by defense going on and shortly if not already, a scheduling order with all the things to be done before trial and argued, etc. with hearing set for each, experts named and so forth. It has been awfully quiet and WHY I wonder... Defense going to wait until last minute and then start delaying things...? Or are they getting ready and will be prepared for trial in January? I find that a bit difficult to believe, it sure would not be typical nor are the lack of motions for this and that...

I don't have time to go watch his whole thing but I do think he covered if there was a recent hearing or what is upcoming and what is going on, etc...

It has and I couldn't believe it either. We are almost in September and he was arrested in October last year. I have also read today that KK is going to appeal his sentence but have not found an article with much detail so far.
Well appeals are almost a given when sentences are long. And it doesn't surprise me with Kline who has played many a game in my opinion and did not "come to heel easily" meaning make a deal, wasn't he about to opt out and change his plea not long before it was near conclusion/sentencing? He bears keeping an eye on for sure. Actually maybe I did hear something about that, I think in the same video I referneced. Man I don't know if my memory is getting lousy or I just work so much and stuff in what I can to watch the rare moment I get or what. I think I recall hearing something about other pedos with far less sentences who did more or some such. Or had more of a criminal history, etc. Not sure if that was about appeal or Kline said it or if it was speculated. Can't recall.

I can tell you Webster is not a weekly or regular Youtuber. And does not follow most crimes either. HE is kind of interesting that way. So if he came on it was likely because of recent events or news. I thought it was due to Kline mostly and getting some documents and maybe transcripts or something. If you get time, watch him for a bit, his most recent. I just mean if unlike me you have time on your hands, then anything recent he'd have likely covered. It was just a couple of days ago I think.

I had a look at Webster's YT and I didn't have to go far in to find the name of the DNR guy who interviewed RA. I did a search on his name and found this document that confirms the 2017 RA interview was done by DNR Lt Dan Dulin. If you click on the pdf link below you can pull up the document in full.

WISH-TV
https://www.wishtv.com › 20...PDF
STATE'S OBJECTION T0 DEFENDANT'S MOTIOCNEwml'IW'T

27 Jun 2023 — It was from DNR Lieutenant Dan Dulin. The narrative was as follows: Mr. Allen was on the trail between 1330-1530.
18 pages·9 MB

Here's a bit more info in the 4th July 2023 Carroll County Comet. Link and extract below-

Special Judge releases public documents in the double homicide case​

July 04, 2023
By Debbie Lowe

The shocking murder of two Delphi Community School Corporation middleschool students, Liberty German and Abigail Williams on Feb. 13, 2017 and the long ensuing investigation has produced a significant number of documents and paperwork throughout the time before an arrest was made Oct. 18, 2021. The public has not been allowed to see most of the documents and this has not set well with many who believe in government transparency.

Special Judge Frances Gull, of Allen County, has been in control of the case since November, 2022 after Carroll Circuit Court Judge Benjamin Diener recused himself. Gull agreed in the later days of June, 2023 to release some documents to the public. Only last Tuesday, June 27, were the documents available for the public to review. They were placed in a file on the Allen County website.
A total of 117 files were released on the website. Some of those released were duplicates of others released. Some of the released documents were gag orders and some were proposed court orders which did not have Judge Gull’s signature nor a date. None of the files released were in chronological order.

Two files released were photos of the man arrested, Richard Allen, who is currently being held in the Westville Correctional Facility located in LaPorte County in northern Indiana. Allen was moved to the prison early on in the prosecutorial process for his safety, according to court documents.

The Westville Correctional
Facility is a state-operated prison for adult males. The facility contains sections with three levels of security.
Two of the documents are analyses of the firearm owned by Allen and a shell casing found at the murder site and were produced by the Indiana State Police. There were several subpoenas to Westville and the CVS Pharmacy, where Allen worked for several years prior to his arrest, found in the trove of documents. Some of the subpoenas were requesting mental health evaluations and medical assessments. The evaluations and assessments were not in the public paperwork, however.

There were several documents which told the story of the back and forth between the Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland and Allen’s defense team, Andrew Baldwin and Bradley Rozzi. A letter from another inmate at Westville is also contained in the documents list. The letter alleged that Allen was being abused and mistreated. The writer, Robert P. Baston, who also alleged both he and Allen suffered much of the same treatment. The writer stated he attempted suicide on at least two occasions due to the treatment and he said he feared for Allen’s life.

The documents include authorization of a search warrant of Allen’s home was dated Oct. 13, 2022. The affidavit for the search warrant, signed by then Detective (now Sheriff) Tony Liggett states that the bodies of the victims were found Feb. 14, 2017 at roughly 12:17 p.m. in the woods northeast of the Monon High Bridge. Autopsies of the victims ruled their death as homicides and their wounds were caused by a sharp object. Investigators were able to locate Liberty German’s iPhone 6SS under her body at the scene and were able to recover a video, approximately 43 seconds in length, which was captured at 2:13 p.m. on Feb. 13, 2017 in addition, a .40-caliber unspent round. Investigators determined that articles of clothing from the victims were missing from the scene.

The affidavit also states that throughout the investigation youth who were on the same trail that day were interviewed. Those interviewed indicated they observed a male on the trails on Feb. 13 and they encountered him near a bench east of the Freedom Bridge. They indicated the man was walking away from the Freedom Bridge at the time. The witnesses said the man was wearing “like blue jeans” and a “really light blue jacket.” They said his hair was gray, maybe a little brown and “he did not really show his face.” The man was described by the witnesses as “kinda creepy.”

Liggett was provided a tip narrative from DNR Lieutenant Dan Dulin to review. It was reported that Allen approached Dulin to report that he had been on the trails in Feb. 13, 2017. Allen told Dulin he parked his vehicle at the “old Farm Bureau building” (believed to be the former Department of Child Services building, which was empty) and he walked to the new Freedom Bridge. Allen said he was there between 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 13. He said he saw three females while at the Freedom Bridge and then he walked from the Freedom Bridge to the Monon High Bridge. Allen told Dulin he did not take any photos or video while on the walk.

Allen was interviewed in the Carroll County Investigative Center on Oct. 13, 2022, according to the released records. He said he was on the Monon High Bridge on Feb. 13, 2017.

The affidavit is nearly four pages in length. It states Allen’s wife spoke to investigators and she confirmed Allen owned guns and knives and they were at their residence.
It was also stated in a document filed April 20 of 2023, that on April 3, 2023, Allen made a phone call to his wife. The document states that Allen admitted to his wife several times that he killed the young victims. Investigators had the call transcribed and the transcription confirms Allen admitted he committed the murders.

“Investigators believe that Richard M. Allen is the last individual to have contact with Liberty German and Abigail Williams. Investigators further believe that Richard M. Allen is the individual depicted on the Monon High Bridge from the video taken from Liberty German’s phone,” concludes the probable cause affidavit narrative.

Public logs indicate roughly 83 items of evidence were removed from Allen’s home in the search.

Judge Gull ordered the Jan. 8 to 26, 2024, trial date. She ordered the trial will be held in Carroll County. However, she ruled that jurors will come from Allen County community members. It is expected that Allen will be transported daily to and from Westville for his trial.

I had a look at Webster's YT and I didn't have to go far in to find the name of the DNR guy who interviewed RA. I did a search on his name and found this document that confirms the 2017 RA interview was done by DNR Lt Dan Dulin. If you click on the pdf link below you can pull up the document in full.

WISH-TV
https://www.wishtv.com › 20...PDF
STATE'S OBJECTION T0 DEFENDANT'S MOTIOCNEwml'IW'T

27 Jun 2023 — It was from DNR Lieutenant Dan Dulin. The narrative was as follows: Mr. Allen was on the trail between 1330-1530.
18 pages·9 MB
I knew you'd hit pay dirt there and that he said it. Keep him in mind, he is a wealth of info even though watching his things can take some time. He only again comes on generally when there is news or he has something new.

Again, no time to look right now but quick question. JUNE? Was that the FIRST Allen talked?

I don't have time to look right now, going to try to remember to do so later.

Funny how it is almost protected info and media, etc. doesn't go there. Dan Dulin, about time his name is out there more. Just like in LISK the missing of the vehicle and perp info for years, needs to be addressed, same in Delphi with Allen being known to be about the only male on the trail that day and PLACED himself there. Are they protecting Dulin? Trying to protect the case? Did he misfile this or kind of sort of not share it or call attention to it or what? Will we ever know...? Does he know Allen personally? Did Allen approach HIM for a reason knowing it couldn't be said he didn't cooperate but picked who he talked to...?

So a lieutenant in the DNR who has said nothing in all these years to LE about hey, what did you ever determine with Allen and how was he cleared???

DEATH IN DELPHI: Book examines Libby German, Abby Williams murders​

Farms, freckles and football are the sort of touchstones one thinks of when discussing small, Midwestern towns like Delphi, Ind.

It’s the kind of place the horrors of the modern world seem to bypass, much like Interstate 65, about 30 kilometres to the west.

On Feb 13, 2017, that innocent world was obliterated forever. Abigail Williams, 13, and Liberty German, 14, had vanished while hiking near the Monon High Bridge Trail.

On Valentine’s Day, their bodies were discovered. They had been murdered.

The 21st century had arrived in Delphi and suddenly, it was on the national media map.

Journalist Susan Hendricks has written a book about the girls and the investigation entitled Down the Hill: My Descent into the Double Murder in Delphi (Hachette). The book is out Sept. 19.

“I saw myself and my sister at that bridge. I got to know the families and I got to know the girls,” Hendricks told The Toronto Sun. “It became very personal to me.”

Richard Allen's attorneys want search of home suppressed​

Richard Allen's attorneys have revised a request asking for the judge to suppress evidence collected from his home during a search warrant connected to the Delphi killings of Abby Williams and Libby German.

Previous court documents released show a Sig Sauer Model P226 was removed from Allen's home.

The gun is particularly significant to the case as police claim testing showed a bullet found at the crime scene was cycled through that Sig Sauer Model P226.

Those previous court documents also mention how in the video from German's phone where the suspected killer can be heard saying, "down the hill" – investigators also believed they could hear the Sig Sauer Model P226 gun being cycled.

Another document showed investigators believed a knife was used in the murders of German and Williams. An autopsy revealed the girls had been killed by a "sharp object," court documents revealed.

During the search of Allen's home, 15 hunting and utility knives — some foldable and some with sheaths — were collected by investigators.

Other evidence collected includes carpet samples and swabs from the seatbelts from Allen's Ford Focus that investigators believe was seen near the trail Feb. 13, 2017.

Allen's attorneys claim Sheriff Tony Liggett made "false and misleading representations" to the judge in getting the search warrants. The attorneys also claim the state's probable cause affidavit failed to show evidence of a crime would be found in Allen's home. Specifically, the claims include the search warrant failing to establish that the items to be seized were in the home or could be expected to be found in the home. The attorneys go on to claim the search warrant listed generic items compared to the actual items that were possibly used in the crime.

Not sure whether they really have a leg to stand on or not. It isn't unusual to take not just one computer but all, not just one knife but all, not just one gun but all. I guess it really depends on what cause is needed, how much specificity is needed based on cause and statements and other evidence and so forth and I sure don't know what any of that is or entails. I would doubt in this big of a case it wasn't done with extreme carefulness and help, crossing the tees and dotting the Is but who knows, this is the Delphi case, where they forgot about Allen since the time of the murders until how many years later...

Even so, I'd guess when they realized, they then went to town and did it all CAREFULLY and precisely as they know how hard this will be looked at and fought back on by the defense. Let's hope and pray anyhow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom