LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Indiana vs. Richard Allen for 2017 murder of two Delphi girls *TRIAL IN PROGRESS*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I guess Allen called the tip line and said he had info on the case from being at the trails. Then the Natural Resources officer, I'd say DNR guy, met him at a GROCERY store. Wasn't much of an interview if you ask me from what is said here. Allen mentioned seeing the three girls and some cars but nothing he noted while he watched his stock ticker on his phone.

This short interview of Allen looks like someone just meeting someone informally to get some short tip info who was at the bridge and almost like the guy never even put together this MAN was AT the bridge/traisl and COULD be the suspect.

So the note or question the "officer" took from this meeting or to follow up on was "who were the three girls?" :thud:

So he is talking to a GUY who was AT the bridge and his takeaway is just nothingness, minor interview, potential followup is noted to just find out more about the three girls walking at the bridge.

What kind of idiot is this guy,he is talking to a man who was AT THE BRIDGE. He was THERE. It goes into Dulin's "report" and more. Some stuff I hadn't heard. Dulin is the sole thing allegedly that places Allen at the bridge at the right time but apparently he did NOT record it, claims he did, and LATER when recorded Allen changed the time he was there.

Worth a watch.

Interesting thought. Good point. Of course he could have done this more than once to scare the girls or get or maintain control. Perhaps he did it on/at the bridge and also again at the scene. It would definitely depend on what point in the recording it was heard and also depend on if that is what they are truly hearing on the recording. While there is said to be more recording time, we don't know that it continued at the scene. I think I heard recently it is about two minutes, not swearing to that, is that enough time from when we first hear him or it first started (whichever it is the two minutes refers to) to the scene and to hear THAT bullet there? It seems tight to get them down the hill, across teh creek, etc. to have that. But again I am not swearing by the two minutes. Hate to put it on you, but maybe you'd have time to look for that IF you get a chance or are interested in doing so.

It seems to me the rest of the recording was not released, I almost thought it was too, but I heard someone yesterday talk as if they never have so unsure of that. You know where it says sounded mostly muffled in her pocket or some such, I wonder if we were just told that by someone but never heard it . Dam* if I can recall.
I think that the recording is longer than two minutes, but I don't know what makes me think that. You don't recall why you think 2 mins? I don't think 2 mins would be enough time to get from the end of the bridge to the crime scene. But I know a youtuber did it so will try and find out. Another thought, did he rack the gun near the bridge, near the hill down to the creek and Libby fall over and pocket the bullet to later hide it under the clothes at the crime scene along with her phone? Remember they found one of her shoes on the opposite side of the creek? Either way, the bullet being with the phone would not have been something RA did right? This whole time they have said Libby was a hero and this evidence is crucial and it seems she had a big hand in preserving this evidence.

ETA the recording is 43 seconds. Link below. Also the distance from end of bridge to crime scene is about half a mile.

Fastest time running a mile is about 4 minutes so half a mile would take 2 minutes at fastest human pace IMO. Regular walking pace I estimate would be around 8-10 minutes. So my guess is it took at least 4 to 5 minutes to get from the end of the bridge across the creek to the crime scene. Racking the gun just before the end of the 43 seconds would therefore still have been on the "down the hill" side of the creek IMO

Last edited:
I have to disagree with this prosecutor. I think about the Rittenhouse case. I had a completely different picture of what happened that night before I watched the trial. It really opened my eyes to how different evidence might be once it is presented at trial.

The courts belong to the people and the people should be able to see what’s going on in the courts.

I saw someone being interviewed at crime con and they said that any judge who has control over his/her courtroom should not be adverse to having cameras present.

I have to disagree with this prosecutor. I think about the Rittenhouse case. I had a completely different picture of what happened that night before I watched the trial. It really opened my eyes to how different evidence might be once it is presented at trial.

The courts belong to the people and the people should be able to see what’s going on in the courts.

I saw someone being interviewed at crime con and they said that any judge who has control over his/her courtroom should not be adverse to having cameras present.
You're right about the judges. I think Judge Ito really soured the legal eagles on televised trials. Ito, is that right? The OJ Simpson trial.

I have been thinking about this trial televising and I am undecided at present but I think the judge need not decide yet. I think RA will plead guilty. If he doesn't and all the gruesome stuff comes out that he did, televised or not, he will be the most hated guy in the US IMO.

I am just waiting for his insanity plea next.

ETA Having thought about it, I think it should be televised, with the judge, withholding parts, at her discretion, after discussion with the families maybe.

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess Allen called the tip line and said he had info on the case from being at the trails. Then the Natural Resources officer, I'd say DNR guy, met him at a GROCERY store. Wasn't much of an interview if you ask me from what is said here. Allen mentioned seeing the three girls and some cars but nothing he noted while he watched his stock ticker on his phone.

This short interview of Allen looks like someone just meeting someone informally to get some short tip info who was at the bridge and almost like the guy never even put together this MAN was AT the bridge/traisl and COULD be the suspect.

So the note or question the "officer" took from this meeting or to follow up on was "who were the three girls?" :thud:

So he is talking to a GUY who was AT the bridge and his takeaway is just nothingness, minor interview, potential followup is noted to just find out more about the three girls walking at the bridge.

What kind of idiot is this guy,he is talking to a man who was AT THE BRIDGE. He was THERE. It goes into Dulin's "report" and more. Some stuff I hadn't heard. Dulin is the sole thing allegedly that places Allen at the bridge at the right time but apparently he did NOT record it, claims he did, and LATER when recorded Allen changed the time he was there.

Worth a watch.

This whole DNR "interview" thing is weird - this must have been really early on if they still had not identified the 3 youngsters.

The recent prosecutor response about the search warrant mentions the times he said he was at the bridge, when interviewed just before the search warrant was obtained. Also his phone and video of his car should confirm it too. If he lied about the time to the DNR guy, or in the October 2022 interview they will know.

This is what it says in the recent Prosecutor response.

"12. That in the 2017 interview, Richard Allen admitted being on the trail the day that Abigail Williams and Liberty German went missing. 13. That he stated that he was on the trail between 1:30 P.M. and 3:30 P.M. and that while he was on the trail, he was using his phone."

ETA I wonder if the DNR guy met RA at the CVS store? They sell groceries.

Last edited:
Here's another article with some interesting detail. This article states the crime scene is 0.2 miles from the bridge. So that would be only 352 yards, ie fifth of a mile.

I agree Kimster! I mean Court TV has been doing this for years. They are very professional imo.

I think that the recording is longer than two minutes, but I don't know what makes me think that. You don't recall why you think 2 mins? I don't think 2 mins would be enough time to get from the end of the bridge to the crime scene. But I know a youtuber did it so will try and find out. Another thought, did he rack the gun near the bridge, near the hill down to the creek and Libby fall over and pocket the bullet to later hide it under the clothes at the crime scene along with her phone? Remember they found one of her shoes on the opposite side of the creek? Either way, the bullet being with the phone would not have been something RA did right? This whole time they have said Libby was a hero and this evidence is crucial and it seems she had a big hand in preserving this evidence.

ETA the recording is 43 seconds. Link below. Also the distance from end of bridge to crime scene is about half a mile.

Fastest time running a mile is about 4 minutes so half a mile would take 2 minutes at fastest human pace IMO. Regular walking pace I estimate would be around 8-10 minutes. So my guess is it took at least 4 to 5 minutes to get from the end of the bridge across the creek to the crime scene. Racking the gun just before the end of the 43 seconds would therefore still have been on the "down the hill" side of the creek IMO

I thought the phone was under the shoe. Was the bullet as well...?

I think he could have racked the gun more than once but doesn't mean they found casings wherever he did (like in the brush on the way down the hilll, etc. or at the bridge and so on). It isn' like they had a gun short of how many or could know that BUT if the sound heard in the recording was racking the gun this could have been doing so to get them to initially comply. And then later at the crime scene to keep control. For me that would mean these girls or one or both tried to do what little they could or a LOT and he had to USE the gun to get them to cease it and control them.

I guess Libby could have picked it up and ensured she left it but I think it more likely it occurred more than once and this little evil man brought and needed the gun to keep two spirited young smart teens from getting away from him and his creepy fantasy.

However, your thought is possible, definitely, Libby was smart enough to record.

8 pages. I managed to copy pages 3 and 4 below which seem to be the most important. Apologies for the formatting - the paragraphs and spacing would not copy properly. Basically, they interviewed them and RA confirmed the times he was on the trails that had also been in the conservation officer's interview. He also confirmed the clothes he was wearing. They then served the search warrant.

Page 3
That inthe 2017 interview, Richard Allen admittedbeing onthetrailthe day thatAbigail Williams and Liberty Germanwentmissing. 13. Thathe statedthat he was onthe trail between 1:30 P.M. and 3:30 P.M. and thatwhile he was onthe trail, he was using his phone. 14. That onOctober 13th, 2022, investigators invited Richard Allen and his wife, Kathy Allen, to speakto them and followup onthat interview done in 2017. 15. Thatboth Richard Allen and Kathy Allen came to the interview ontheir own on October 13th, 2022, they were notunderarrest andwere free to leavethe interviewat any time. 16. That investigators learned fiomthose interviews thatRichardAllen reaffirmed thathe was infact onthe trails the day that Abigail Williams and Liberty Germanwentmissing and further admittedto being onthe highbridge. 17. Thathe also told investigators that he was wearing bluejeans, and a blue or black Carharttjacket witha hood andthathe was wearing a head covering. 18. That, further, Richard statedthathe did own guns andthatthe guns were inhis home. 19. That investigators learned fiom Kathy that Richard Allen still had guns and knives inthe home, along with a blue Carharttjacket. 20. ThatInvestigators believeda firearmwas involved inthe abduction and murderof Abigail Williams and Liberty Germanbecause anunspent .40 caliberround was found betweenthe bodies ofAbigail Williams and Liberty German. 21. ThatInvestigators believedaknife was used inthe murder ofAbigail Williams and Liberty German.

Page 4

Thatthe clothes thatRichard Allen describedwearing the day he was onthe trails match the descriptionofthe man seen onthe bridge from the video takenby Liberty German's phone. That it was also gatheredthat RichardAllen stillpossessedthe firearms, knives andthe clothing and said items were in his house. Thatbased onthis information, investigators prepared aprobable cause affidavitwith a searchwarrant forthe home ofRichardAllen. Thatthe probable cause affidavit covers all the informationthat lawenforcementhad gathered in the investigation inregards to Richard Allenup until October 13'", 2022. Thatthe probable cause affidavit outlines evidence that establishedprobable cause to searchthe home ofRichard Allen. That Investigators applied forthe searchwarrant on October 13th, 2022, andthe same was grantedthat day by Carroll County Circuit Court Judge Benjamin Diener. Investigators wentto the residence ofthe Defendant, located at 1967 North Whiteman Drive, Delphi, Indiana, knocked onthe door and executedthe searchwarrant on October 13th, 2022. The Defendant andhis wife were askedto be out ofthe residence whilethe search warrantwas executedbut were allowed back inthe residence immediately afterwards. Investigators found several items inthe residence, including a .40 caliber firearm and electronic devices, all ofwhich are outlined inthe Search WarrantReturn. That for a searchwarrantto be valid, itmustbe accompaniedby an afiidavitt

Just to confirm the unspent bullet was found between the bodies. He's toast.

20. ThatInvestigators believeda firearmwas involved inthe abduction and murderof Abigail Williams and Liberty Germanbecause anunspent .40 caliberround was found betweenthe bodies ofAbigail Williams and Liberty German.

The article reports that the video is 43 seconds but I wonder if that's truly the length of the recording, I mean, I don't think of video and audio as necessarily the same thing...
Apart from that, to see that photo of Allen with the composite sketch on the bulletin board behind him reminds me of what they said in a press conference about taking notice of changes in appearance. I don't know when that photo was taken but obviously his head's shaved and he's grown a goatee. (Forgive if preciously mentioned, I don't know that and I've just recently re-watched an old press conference in which that was among other things they they said.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dayday
Back
Top Bottom