Who is the LONG ISLAND SERIAL KILLER? *ARREST JULY 2023*

long island.jpg

Who is the Long Island serial killer? This is a general discussion thread about this terrifying case.

MEMBER'S ONLY DISCUSSION/DOCUMENTS:
https://www.crimewatchers.net/threa...other-sensitive-information.3498/#post-226869

Last edited:
Yeah it is my least favorite part of press conferences. I go both ways about it here. They took a lot of criticism through the years but I also think some of it was deserved. They finally did the right thing assembling this task force but it could have been done long ago.. Not sure with tech though and DNA whether the results would have been the same BUT they very likely could have gotten the wife's cell phone records if this kind of thing had been done all along before the company got rid of them per their retention policy... Interesting the wife again... My thoughts are boomeranging and not all of them are welcome ones...
I agree that this should have been done years ago. Was it just a year ago the task force was set up?

Here is one article Mel.

By Jonathan Dienst, Greg Cergol, Pei-Sze Cheng, Jennifer Millman, Tom Shea and Kiki Intarasuwan • Published July 14, 2023 • Updated on July 14, 2023 at 11:43 pm​

<snip>

Among the breaks in the case that allowed police to hone in on the suspect were cellphone pings of calls he made to one of the victim's families that traced back to the Massapequa area.

Law enforcement officials felt strongly that the alleged killer was from Long Island because that cell phone tower ping – which came from a phone belonging to one of the victims after her death – originated from the Massapequa area, according to two senior law enforcement officials briefed on the case.

Heuermann allegedly used burner phones to meet his victims and was seen on surveillance videos in cellphone stores buying the burners. He even stole two cellphones from victims, prosecutors alleged, using one to taunt the victim's family.

As NBC News previously reported officials believed the alleged killer used Melissa Barthelemy’s cell phone to call her teen sister repeatedly soon after Melissa disappeared in 2009. The alleged killer made explicit sexual comments, claimed to have killed Melissa and related details of her killing that only the murderer would know. Police believed the caller was a white man and the calls came from midtown Manhattan.

It was previously unreported that the same victim’s cellphone briefly pinged off of a tower in the Massapequa area around the same time. It was that potential clue that led officials to believe the suspect could one day be found in that area.
This is the article I read. Thanks for posting.

In his interview with that guy who seemed French, he said he has been working in Manhattan since 1987 and was born and raised in Long Island. So we have holes or whatever to fill in. Go for it SM or YTers and news, etc. Nothing wrong necessarily just info we don't know. I just mean he bought his mom's house in was it 1994 or something close. Also when did he marry this wife and where did they live. Where did he or they live from 1987 to buying his mom's home in the 90s and starting his own business about then too? Who did he work for in Manhattan before starting his own architecture firm in the 90s around the time he bought mom's home? When and how did a Massachusetts home ever come into play?

There is so much here to find out and fill in. I mean maybe LE knows and the feds probably certainly do but we don't...

@Mel70 right?? @Tresir you need to be on this one and you research a lot on cases you are on but you're not on all. And give thoughts. Was there another home? An apartment? Even a period of time he wasn't married since he ha been working in Manhattan since the 80s where did he live then... He definitely COULD be responsible for the earliest of other murders in the area, maybe not the same dumping ground, who knows or maybe he wanted mom and dad's house because that was his dumping ground, etc....?
I think I read that the house he bought in '94 was the childhood home he grew up in. It sure looks like a dump from the one pic I have seen. I think this is his second wife. But not sure as I haven't had too much time recently and just read one article so far.

Maybe there was help disposing of the bodies.
That's certainly one possibility. They did take a freezer. Maybe when she got home, he told her he was lonely, called a prostitute and said honey, I lost control again and killed another one and need help getting rid of her body.... You know, we don't even have any way of knowing nor do the cops most likely of if he kept these women for days before killing them, or longer... She was allegedly gone with the kids during a couple of the murders at least, maybe all. But maybe she went away so he could do his thing. Not trying to be unfair to the wife but her hairs are present ON the victims. so I think it is going to be discussed and the defense attorney at trial will also likely have to address such in some way.

Most likely I guess is they are transfer hairs but again more of hers than his...

There is a lot of background missing yet. Not that it is missing or secret, I'm just saying that we don't know yet and LE probably has or even is still working on.

I think Iceland should check their murders even. His wife is from Iceland right? Well they traveled to there too.

It is mentioned it is his childhood home he bought but his dad is never mentioned nor his growing up years and so on. He bought the home in '94 from his mother it said. So did dad die or were they divorced or was he raised by a single mom? '94 is 30 years ago already almost, 29 I guess. He is 59 so he was about 30, am I doing my math right? So at 30 years of age he bought his childhood home from mom, no mention of dad. Parents wouldn't have been too old at that point... Also wonder if he had any siblings or was an only child. This truly is just getting started with little thus far known about his life other than the things that can be found on the internet, like that interview of him as an architect.

Let's keep in mind he says he worked in Manhattan since '87 so where did they live until purchasing the LI home? Did they live in it, like rent it, until buying it from mom, etc.?

Ya all know I don't have time but the start of a small timeline might be good and where he/they lived as we learn things.

I think we also know where he went to school at least high school as the Baldwin actor graduated with him. Was that in NY? I assume so, can't recall.

I agree that this should have been done years ago. Was it just a year ago the task force was set up?
I think I heard mention that there was one other "task force" maybe but not to the extent they set up this one, giving it their all/a lot of support. Also, the first police commissioner I think did a lot of damage to this case and was very questionable himself. He's the one who had was it a briefcase full of sex toys and more stolen from his car. Maybe his laptop, etc. can't quite recall. Question of his ties to was it the doctor in the Gilbert case? Dont' quote me, can't quite recall it all... I think he had a big part in the investigation going nowhere or being skewed in direction even maybe.

I think I read that the house he bought in '94 was the childhood home he grew up in. It sure looks like a dump from the one pic I have seen. I think this is his second wife. But not sure as I haven't had too much time recently and just read one article so far.
Yes believe it to be '94. Worked in Manhattan since '87, where did they live the prior seven years? I need to watch/read the things you posted with more background. Not sure when will get a chance. Appreciate it plus you get or look at different news sources over there as well.

She is his second wife. First one was approached or contacted for comment or attempts made anyhow, and hasn't said anything.

A daughter and a stepson so one would assume the stepson is older than the daughter. Stepson has special needs.

I'd like to know how Massachusetts plays in and that home. Had she lived there prior and owned a home? Had he and his first wife and he lived there then? Or had they just purchased something somewhere else at some point in the marriage as a getaway? Haven't had a chance but how far even is any part of Massachusetts from NYC? Not real up on east cost distances. Have heard both homes are dumpy, seedy, not well cared for and maintained the nicest.

Wife WAS present in court/at the arraignment or whatever that first hearing is called. Asked to be left alone and said she was not going to say anything if I recall.

It has to be earth shattering if they had no clue but all I can say is wives of men like this, as in Delphi, as well, need to quickly if they can gather themselves (doubt it is easy) at least protect their own chance of retaining any assets and file divorce papers even if they believe in the innocence of the spouse. Another one is Doerman. Defense of the case if a private attorney especially is going to very quickly wipe out all worked for and any assets.

For some reason I think his mother is still alive. Did I read that somewhere or just a guess, can't recall.

By Allie Griffin
July 17, 2023 3:05am
Updated

Police searched a Long Island storage unit connected to suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann Sunday night as investigators continue to scour for evidence in the long-unsolved murders.

Suffolk police executed a search warrant at a single unit located at Omega Self Storage in Amityville “in relation to the Gilgo suspect case,” Suffolk police told News12 Long Island.

Several police cruisers were seen at the unit, located at 185 Sunrise Hwy., late Sunday night and crime scene tape cordoned off the entrance to the parking lot in front of the locked units, according to photos taken by The Post.

Earlier in the day, state police confiscated hoards of guns along with a large child-like doll, cat food, a scratching post, an empty bookcase and a framed picture from Heuermann’s home in Massapequa Park, just a short drive away from the storage unit.

“We’re just going through his house looking to see if there’s any evidence,” a police source told The Post of the search of the alleged killer’s home. “If he has any trophies.”

I had a thought on the MH white initials. His last name starts with H. Neither him or his wife's first names start with M. But was it his father's belt?.
I've had so little time but stuffed in this and that the day this came out, etc. when I could. Wasn't my best day. I think I saw somewhere or in a video or comment in a chat that yeah it was either the father's or his stepson's, etc. Something said about like a picture or someone having seen someone wearing it when they put it out or I can't recall. You ARE talking of the belt buckle right? I was thinking it was the stepson's as I saw the father/son reference but yeah, maybe it was HIS dad's... I think it was just a comment without much more detail and they are generally short and then pass quickly in live chats. Was this actually mentioned somewhere that you read?

By Allie Griffin
July 17, 2023 3:05am
Updated

Police searched a Long Island storage unit connected to suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann Sunday night as investigators continue to scour for evidence in the long-unsolved murders.

Suffolk police executed a search warrant at a single unit located at Omega Self Storage in Amityville “in relation to the Gilgo suspect case,” Suffolk police told News12 Long Island.

Several police cruisers were seen at the unit, located at 185 Sunrise Hwy., late Sunday night and crime scene tape cordoned off the entrance to the parking lot in front of the locked units, according to photos taken by The Post.

Earlier in the day, state police confiscated hoards of guns along with a large child-like doll, cat food, a scratching post, an empty bookcase and a framed picture from Heuermann’s home in Massapequa Park, just a short drive away from the storage unit.

“We’re just going through his house looking to see if there’s any evidence,” a police source told The Post of the search of the alleged killer’s home. “If he has any trophies.”
CAT FOOD??? Scratching post I would think might be animal hairs or something like that but FOOD? Also not sure what an empty bookcase would be about. Thoughts? Maybe a blood stain on it or a spot to test?

Not a lot has been made about it but the hoards of guns wow... I mean even most hunters don't have so many...

Storage units aren't unusual but they owned two homes, weren't renting some tiny apartment so why would they need one...? And again not familiar with areas in NY but where is Amityville in relation to Massapequa and Manhattan? They executed I think it was something like 300 warrants during the Grand Jury investigation... Even now when people see who he is i don't doubt that they are getting tips. Even if say he always paid cash for the storage unit and it was secret/not known to wife, when a storage unit owner saw his picture, they may have easily went that guy has a unit with US!! He is so big that unlucky for him, he isn't exactly unnoticeable... Or unforgettable... I think through this investigation they've probably also talked to other prostitutes and there will be some now who will have known this guy or had encounters in the years since...

I've had so little time but stuffed in this and that the day this came out, etc. when I could. Wasn't my best day. I think I saw somewhere or in a video or comment in a chat that yeah it was either the father's or his stepson's, etc. Something said about like a picture or someone having seen someone wearing it when they put it out or I can't recall. You ARE talking of the belt buckle right? I was thinking it was the stepson's as I saw the father/son reference but yeah, maybe it was HIS dad's... I think it was just a comment without much more detail and they are generally short and then pass quickly in live chats. Was this actually mentioned somewhere that you read?
A few years back, they released a picture of a belt found at the scene of one of their bodies. The article below is from when they released that information.

IIRC, they arrested him before they wanted to. He had booked a flight out of the country, and they were afraid he'd make another killing here. So there is still a lot of investigation going on right now.
Yeah, I heard something about this on one of my YouTube videos I was watching. They decided to arrest him because they thought he was going to be a danger somewhere. I can’t remember where exactly.

IIRC, they arrested him before they wanted to. He had booked a flight out of the country, and they were afraid he'd make another killing here. So there is still a lot of investigation going on right now.
Where did you hear that? I had the sense they were worried something else was about to happen or even almost did, etc. or something on that order and that they decided they had to arrest now but never heard flight out of the country thing although I wondered if something was not going on that way, but just a thought I had.

I also kind of figured no matter how hushed, a grand jury, all those supboenaes, his worried about if they were on to him, his being surveilled, that something maybe gave him cause for concern to where he'd flee or felt they were looking at him...

He’s a big boy! I doubt he needed help.
There are just soooo many questions here yet.

I think if all are like me, my assumption is he killed them in his home, wife gone, cops searched there, bodies disposed of near there, etc. But we honestly don't know that.
I think also we may assume they drove out there because we know that's what happened with Gilbert but that one is likely not related to him.

They got his vehicle make and description because he went to Costello's house didn't they? So with her he was going to their residence, at least at first. Did he meet them a time or two in the city and pay for their services and then they trusted him that they'd go out to his place on a second or third call? I am just speculating.

Just saying we really don't know. We don't even know if they were immediate kills or he kept them for hours or days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phillip
Back